Search Unity

Question Maximum LOD Level - how it really works

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by orzech123, Feb 7, 2023.

1. orzech123

orzech123

Hello Guys,

I have a question according Maximum LOD Level and how it really works, because for me when I built the game for android, run it on Quest2 with value 10, seems that all my models with LOD Group applied with any LODs dissapear and Renderer is not rendering anything, no matter what distance it's form camera.

In the docs it is written:
    • Maximum LOD Level: Exclude meshes above a specified LOD level from your build.
    So I assume that if I set it to 10, it will exclude meshes above 10 LOD level in my build, so why LOD0, LOD1, LOD2 are also not displayed? (in fact I got only 3 LODs, but why none of them are being displayed?)

2. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

0 is the highest LOD, not the lowest! Think of the levels as a ranking: 0 is the highest, 1 is the second-highest, and so on and so forth.

I do have to admit that it's not very clear...

3. orzech123

orzech123

Thanks for replying! Hm, yeah it's a bit weird.

I applied the value of 3 for the Maximum LOD Level and in such case the object is not being rendered from any of distances. When it's set to 0, everything works fine (objects is visible from all distances).

My goal is to prove that LODs really work in runtime and in build (especially this one) but when I even run the game in the Editor, the LODs are being applied for Camera in Scene View so I can't even really see if these LODs are being switched properly in the runtime...

...and a reason why I decided to prove that LODs are really working in build is that I have not notced significant imrpovment on performance when applying LODs - I am rendering multiple skinned meshes for which I got these LODs prepared so I assume it should boost the fps a lot (oculus quest 2, frame rate is being decreased to about 55 fps instead of target 72 when rendering multiple objects for which I apply LODs, but when completely disabling renderers for objects, it reaches 72 fps immediately and stays there.
    So I am afraid my LODs are not working properly in my quest2 build.

4. chemicalcrux

chemicalcrux

A maximum LOD level of 3 means that LOD 0, LOD 1, and LOD 2 will be ignored. You probably want to try a maximum LOD level of 2.

ickejohannes likes this.