Search Unity

Feedback Maximize panel to parent not to window

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Noisecrime, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Hi,

So screen-estate is often at a premium, especially in Unity where you can have so many different windows, panels/tabs open at once. While its possible to organize them easily enough and still maintain usability in the editor, I've increasingly found myself wishing there was a way to maximize a specific panel/tab to fill the entirety of its parent area.

Currently you can right-click a tab and select 'maximize' and that panel will fill the entire editor window, much like 'Maximize on play' does for the game view. This in itself is useful, but most of the time I don't want to 'full screen' maximize a panel I just want to temporarily make it larger so its easier to browser the information within it e.g. the console where you might have a lot of debug statements.

Having browsed through the Unity Editor C# references (DockArea.cs, WindowLayout.cs and HostView.cs) it looks to me like it should be relatively simple to build on the existing 'maximize' code to maximize a panel to fill its parent area. I'd considered trying to do this myself with reflection but its likely to require too much custom code and be rather fragile should Unity make changes to the editor code themselves.

Below is a gif to illustrate precisely what I mean by maximizing to fill the parent area. It starts with something akin to my default window layout, it then shows the console expanding to fill its parent, then the Inspector and finally the Hierarchy panel.

MaximizeToParent.gif