Search Unity

Max to Unity FBX export flattens the model

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by blacksun, Apr 9, 2013.

1. blacksun

blacksun

Hi-

I'm in FBX export nightmare here. My model, which exported fine until a couple of revisions ago, exports from Max to Unity via FBX, but when it shows up in Unity, it's just messed up. Part of it is flat, as in 2 dimensional or very squashed, and the other part is either all jumbled or very very small.

Part of the model is a bycicle. That part is the one that goes flat, 2d. The other part is a rider character, fully rigged with bones, some IK and animations. The character doesn't deform, but he does shrink down extremely small, and for some crazy reason, his feet disappear. I've tried scaling him up, but, the bike is still screwed, so..

I've tried a range of different FBX export plugin versions, with no difference in result. I've tried importing the old versions of my model file, that I know worked before, and they don't work either.

I'm using max 2013 and FBX plugin version 2013.3, and trying the export settings for 2013,2013,2011,2010, 2009 and 2006.

Anyone have any ideas? What am I missing here? Is FBX really that sketchy? :neutral:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Sounds like a RESET XFORM problem.

You probably rescaled some objects while modeling.

Try to apply this modifier and reset the XFORM of the object.

3. blacksun

blacksun

Hi Megmaltese,

Ok, I tried the XForm reset, but it flips part of my model 180 and turns other parts of it around at 90 degree angles (in Max). Should I be trying to re-position everything? Wouldn't be too much of a problem except it's tricky because I've got bones and animation on a character.

I've included my FBX export settings, and a screenshot of how the model should look, and does look now on import.

$troubleshooting01.jpg

$troubleshooting02.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  4. PolyMad

PolyMad

Heh ye... that's what you have to do if you work with "messed up" xform models.

At least, as far as I know, there is no solution to this.

My suggestion is to reset xform on all the model's parts, set up bones for good, then reimport all in Unity and set up stuff with the new, well aligned axis (if you have scripts managing wheels, in example).
    This is the only way to have clean new working stuff.