Search Unity

Max steps

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by mateolopezareal, Jun 21, 2020.

1. mateolopezareal

mateolopezareal

Why if I have an agent with, for example, 3000 max steps, if I run my training with my 144 multi-agent environment, after 30000 steps I do not get a episode. How is the realtion between that? I know time-horizon has something to do, but there has to something more like with more number of agents more steps

2. celion_unity

celion_unity

For Agent.MaxStep, this is defined in terms of Academy steps (which by default corresponds to FixedUpdate calls in the engine).
    For the purposes of summary_freq, max_steps, etc. in the trainer configuration, these refer to agent steps, not academy steps. So you would need 144*3000 of these steps to ensure every agent completes an episode.

3. mateolopezareal

mateolopezareal

and, how can give those 144*3000 steps, because normally it stops before? Should I change the time_horizon, or just are just saying that its better to see the episodes 144*3000 steps but with the config that I have now?
    By the way, they always have to run the 3000 steps per agent.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. ervteng_unity

ervteng_unity

Unity Technologies

time_horizon won't affect your episode completion, it will still wait for an episode to actually finish before recording the reward. I'd set the max_steps in your trainer configuration to MUCH more than 144*3000, e.g. 30,000,000 or more. Then, set your summary_freq parameter to a number greater than 144*3000. You should now see periodic summaries of reward during your training. You can quit training early by hitting CTRL+C, even if your trainer max_steps is a large number.

mateolopezareal likes this.
  5. mateolopezareal

mateolopezareal

Thank you soooo much guys!!