Search Unity

Discussion Max polygons for 60FPS on mobile? (Under various conditions)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by zacharyhunterlund, Aug 19, 2022.

1. zacharyhunterlund

zacharyhunterlund

Hello, Unity developers.

So, I am developing a mobile game, and I am targeting 60 frames per second for max responsiveness and flow. I know that while the amount of polygons rendered is important, it is not the only thing that determines rendering efficiency. Shader complexity, lighting, and post-processing are all components that change how a game performs.

So, if 60 frames per second is desired, how many max polygons could it be done with under:

- High-tier mobile graphics, like Genshin Impact
    - Medium-tier graphics, like Animal Crossing Pocket Camp
    - Low-tier graphics, like Subway Surfers

Additionally, how much could be handled by, say, a cheaper Android phone, compared to a more expensive iPhone (or Samsung)?

Hopefully this discussion can give some good insight on how to manage polygon counts in scenes.

2. jiraphatK

jiraphatK

upload_2022-8-19_9-48-49.png

I've never been a fan of guessing the poly count limit. Best way is to build your game with optimized models and shader then profile it and go from there. There is no point fretting over things as volatile as tris count.

zacharyhunterlund likes this.
  3. DevDunk

DevDunk

Poly count isn't everything. On my phone I can add 2 mil polys in an optimized way without issue, or have a more complex scene where it starts dipping with 200k polys.
    Just build and attach the profiler, while trying to be as optimized as you can.
    And there are many phones. A snapdragon 865 wills performance different than a helio p20