Search Unity

.max files

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by drag0nsphere, Dec 21, 2007.

1. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

Hello,
    I read of the unity website that it could handle .max files so I bought one off turbosquid. Now when I try do import it, it wont let me.

What should I do?

-DS

2. helmishariff

helmishariff

I think you need to export to .fbx format first.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yep, Unity doesn't really import any proprietary formats. In cases where it appears to (like Maya and Blender), it actually launches the app in the background and makes it silently export to .fbx. Obviously that's not possible with Max. What you probably read is that Unity can use files made in Max, but they need to be exported to .fbx manually; there's no support for actual .max files.

--Eric

4. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

oh.. thanks..... cound anyone here convert a couple files for me... I bought 3ds max but it wont work with vista. :cry:

There goes a lot of money :(

-ds

5. StarManta

StarManta

Autodesk's site claims it supports Vista.... at any rate, you didn't try the demo to make sure it worked before buying a $3000+ program?

I have a theory that would make your post make much more sense but it's rather accusatory so I'll refrain...

6. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

The demo worked fine...But the full program will not open/import/export/save.

7. drag0nsphere

drag0nsphere

I sent an email to autodesk... Waiting for response.

8. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Weird, I import .3ds formats that Ron exports for me and except for the occasional axis flip they all import perfectly fine. I can certainly pass them along if you like to get Ron to open and export them so they work if you like.

EDIT -- Sorry, I didn't see they were .max format. Just export them out as .3ds files and they'll be perfect.

9. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

What/Who is Ron?