Search Unity

Max amount of players?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Alabatross, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Alabatross

Alabatross

I'm attempting a 64 player death match (FPS) type of server. Is this possible with unitys default networking if you are using serialization and fairly small packet sizes (0.3kb/s per player)? The issue I'm seeing here is that given the nature of the game all the players need to be on screen at once

Unity uses Raknet, and the Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod also uses Raknet. They can have 800-1300 players at once without much a of a hick.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. foxter888

foxter888

if you mean unity networking itself no, unity networking seems to be capped at 32 total. but if you want to have more you might have to look at other soultions like photon, smartfox and so on there is a list out there on the forums i can't never find it do lol

3. appels

appels

No, Unity's networking isn't capped at all.

4. Artaani

Artaani

Just curious, How do you plan to make the package size less then 300 b\s?
    Even if you will send package 15 times per second, it is 20 byte per package, but empty RPC have a 40 byte size.

5. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

The just cause 2 mod probably uses something similar to occlusion culling to send network data. If a player can't see another player, outside of a certain range, don't send data.

Unity doesn't have this kind of feature built in, and may be tricky to pull off, though it would help with bandwidth usage for the server and player alike. As far as I knew, as long as you defined it, and have the bandwidth, there isn't a limit in unity as to how many connections it can have.

You could also make a simplified custom networked system using just C# and having a dedicated server. It'd take a lot more management, but has the potential to be much faster and take less bandwidth then Unity's built in system. If you end up wanting to try that, look up sockets. (sockets.... yum.)

6. Uncasid

Uncasid

Badumna does this.

7. foxter888

foxter888

if it's not capped then why on a unity scene you are only allowed to put up to 32 players? that defeats the purpose of that knowledge being on the forums and on the manual. i do understand that with a custom masterserver and of the such this could be changed.

8. appels

appels

Where does it say that ? I have never seen any restrictions.