Search Unity

Mavericks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by galent, Oct 23, 2013.

1. galent

galent

Any brave souls out there jumped on the new Mavericks release? I'm curious if Unity (editor or players) have any known issues.

Cheers,

Galen

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Not yet, but planning to.

3. stanislav-osipov

stanislav-osipov

Me too, but thanks for the topic, would like to hear first experience from anybody :)

4. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

5. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Installed mavericks last night before I went out to destroy my liver, I'm going to do a software sweep when I'm home and report back here

6. galent

galent

well, I have a secondary dev box, so... what the hell ::twisted:

I'll let you know what I find ...

7. Foam

Foam

Tried it last night, didn't have any problems. I'd be surprised if there was anything too out of whack, given that the Mavericks beta has been out for like 6 months now. Some people are complaining about color calibration but that is not related to Unity.

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Upgraded to Mavericks last night on my iMac, running Unity 4.2 and everything seems to be working as it has in the past :)

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

dealbreaker for me:

C'mon Apple you can't even be consistent with your bevels?

10. proandrius

proandrius

Unity Technologies

Works fine everything with Mavericks for me so far.

11. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I've been using Mavericks as a test environment since the GM dropped and the only problem I've had so far is that if you have a secondary monitor with displays having separate spaces and you stick the game window over there (as I do), then selecting the resolution is the glitchiest damned thing.

12. nipoco

nipoco

That's also a problem with iOS7. You have icons with flat colors, some with glossy 3d elements (game center), some with gradients. And even the gradients aren't consistent. Some go from light to dark and some from dark to light.
    Looks completely amateurish and the colors are way too garish.

On the topic.
    No I didn't install it because a lot people already report a tons of issues in forums and blog comments. And the upgrade compared to ML is not that huge improvement feature-wise.

13. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Jobs would get very angry with that...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. nipoco

nipoco

Problem is that Jony Ive is not the best choice for the HI department. He is a great industrial designer and should stick with that.

The best UI design has Windows 8 IMHO. It's clean and consistent. Not that I like it function-wise. But the design is great.

15. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Mavericks is pretty smooth on my new air but I've had some issues on my older mini- especially with installing the damn thing. I didn't really notice anything special with mavericks, the new features aren't very useful to me.

16. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Give it some time :) Ive cant fix apple UI over night you know, but rest assured it will be good once its done.

17. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

God no, Windows 8's UI and UX is a complete flustercuck.

18. nipoco

nipoco

I guess that is a matter of taste.

19. Dabeh

Dabeh

I second this. I find Windows 8 pleasing to the eye and I've been using it for both of my workstations for a while now.

20. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Mavericks has broken my adobe illustrator.. version 6... anyone else?

21. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

Mavericks > Windows 8.1

22. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

fixed illu, was software updates. panic over.

Everything>windows 8/8.1 Its a train wreck, sorry. windows 7 is probably the best OS imo.

23. Dabeh

Dabeh

Go away with your contradictory opinion Charlie! :mad:

I just really like the design of Windows 8 :), the functionality of it is a different matter though...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  24. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

For a game developer, I'm surprised you don't see them as being one and the same...

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Steve Jobs said, "Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works." (Invoking Steve Jobs is my attempt at getting this back on topic....)

--Eric

26. Dabeh

Dabeh

Err I guess it was badly worded, Windows 8 looks nice to me is what I was trying to say.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  27. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

This is the special edition Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller for the Gamecube:

It looks fantastic. It's also a poorly designed mess that makes any interaction with any game needlessly complicated. Windows 8 is the special edition Resident Evil 4 chainsaw controller of operating systems.

28. Dabeh

Dabeh

:D I can't argue with that; gave me a laugh.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

As long as I can open Unity anything is fine.

30. nipoco

nipoco

I installed it and it works flawless so far.

31. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Adobe updates or system updates? (or both?)

32. avadlamani

avadlamani

Also, I'm surprised that no one mentioned the elephant in the room (it least in my mind), Open GL 4 support. Unless there is another thread about it somewhere that I missed,I hope this doesn't mean that it's coming in a million years like directX 11. Also if some of you do want it then there is a feedback page open about it. This might finally open up MacOSX or at least Ubuntu as something more than another desktop.

33. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'll just post what I posted in the other thread about OpenGL 4.

34. arkon

arkon

I'd be interested to know if anyone using 3.5.7 had tried it on Mavericks yet. I'm reluctant as the list of post process stuff I have to do to release a game on 3.5.7 is getting longer by the day and I can't risk the jump unless I know it is going to work.

35. avadlamani

avadlamani

I know that it's not that high up the list, but still after a good mono, and a 64 bit editor, this I feel should be implemented. This will cement unity's place as a more balanced engine, platform-wise.

36. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Java haha

37. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Mavericks works great with 4.2.2, however Apple needs to come up with a decent solution for people who like to place tool palettes on auxiliary displays while still supporting the new multi-display design. Full-screen continues to not really be an option for me when using most of the programs I use (Unity, Adobe products, Cinema 4D, etc).

I would also very much like to see Unity support OpenGL 4.1 as quickly as possible. Your typical Unity developer is going to be far more interested in this than most of the features I know a lot of you would like placed on higher priority. Heck, I'd like to see a 64-bit editor before OpenGL4.1, but I also know which one is more likely to help me make games that are more attractive to consumers.

38. mindlube

mindlube

I recommend holding off on Mavericks... Unity editor has some serious performance problems (for some hardware, some devs only- it seems). In my case it passed the initial 'smoke test' on my laptop of does it launch and work ok and not crash, so I upgraded my main workstation. But in day to day usage the editor would just stall and glitch out constantly. Wish I had given it more due diligence before upgrading to Mavs. Because now I just reverted to 10.8 and wasted an afternoon re-installing software. But also Mavs works great for some Unity users, so YMMV

39. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Same here, been using it since release, 8 was nice, 8.1 is even better. I say this from desktop, notebook, convertible, and tablet usage across most everything related to game development. Very intuitive, easy to look at, and clean in usage. If someone wants the start menu instead of a start screen, many third party programs will do that for free to five bucks.

40. chemninja

chemninja

anybody working with unity3.5.7 and mavericks? any issues? I would update but i am not sure is it safe?