Search Unity

Math's involved in Game Development (Help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NarutoU21, Dec 22, 2023.

1. NarutoU21

NarutoU21

Hi

I am new to unity Game development nearly 2 years. i have difficulties in writing code when math's involved. i am graduated my math is good. but when doing it in unity simple vector rotation and angles finding becomes so difficult for me. i want to be good in finding vectors and their angels and rotations, trigonometry, magnitude and all other things similar. But i cant find a proper way or guide which i have to follow.
    if anyone have any ideas or courses (free I am a student) or any other way . Please share your suggestions and ideas. Highly appreciate your replies and feedback.

Thank You

2. Math for game devs by Freya.

Ryiah and NarutoU21 like this.
  3. neginfinity

neginfinity

The bread and butter of game mathematics are dot product and cross product. Learn those. Realize that dot product between unit length vector allows you to find an angle between them. You should also understand newton's laws (F = ma), and know formula for uniformly accelerated movement (x = v0t + a *t ^2/2). You also need understanding of trigonometry. Meaning you should know what sin, cos, tan correspond to and what their properties are without looking into reference book.

Transformation matrices can be decomposed or thought of as set of vector (position + xyz axes). Quaternions are difficult to understand. But you can work with them without understanding them fully. There's a good course on quaternions here:
    https://eater.net/quaternions

SolarFalcon, Ryiah and NarutoU21 like this.
  4. dnorambu

dnorambu

Maeslezo and NarutoU21 like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

SolarFalcon and NarutoU21 like this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

The link I gave has a much better visualizer.

7. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

NarutoU21 likes this.
  8. NarutoU21

NarutoU21

Thank You all of you guys i'll try my best to understand from all these links you provide. and then maybe i become best in game Math.
    Thank you again

9. SolarFalcon

SolarFalcon

There isn't a section specifically for Game Math but Khan Academy is a great free resource to learn math in general. I've been using it to tighten up my skills.

NarutoU21 likes this.
  10. Maeslezo

Maeslezo

NarutoU21 likes this.
  11. TheOtherMonarch

TheOtherMonarch

I own a copy of that. It is good to have as much reference material as possible. I must have purchased over the years more than a hundred books relating to programing and Game dev for my bookshelf.

I also have a copy of Essential mathematics for games and interactive applications second ed. Of the three books I found 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development the best. Because it is written better and covers the basics in more depth. Just don't get the first ed which is like a totally different book.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    NarutoU21 and Maeslezo like this.