Search Unity

Math Race

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by User340, Oct 14, 2007.

1. User340

User340

2. bliprob

bliprob

You did that just since Wednesday? Wow, nicely done. A few thoughts:

- You might want to use a few more detail textures on the terrain, because there are some long stretches of green.

- I was able to flip the car by going backwards at a high speed off the high cliff to the right of the first target. Once flipped, you're stuck.

I'm looking forward to its completion. My daughter has been looking for more multiplication games (she's a Timez Attack addict).

3. AaronC

AaronC

Hey thats totally cool Daniel, Runs well on old g4.
    AC

4. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Is it possible to see a few screencaps or better a webplayer for us poor saps on PC's? :)

take care,

~t

5. AaronC

AaronC

It is a webplayer old chap
    AC :wink:

6. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Ah sweet, don't know why I thought it would've been a bundled mac app :p

Tried it out, but had a hard time collecting anything as the fps were choppy here. Feels like 10-15fps at most. Can you embed a counter?

I'm running on a
    P4 Dual core 3 Ghz processor
    2 gigs ram
    Nvidia GeForce 6800

(I miss my home box during the days :()

cheers,

~t

7. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Nice work Daniel!

My feedback is mostly about the controls and camera:

- it's hard to get fine-tuned control over the vehicle, doing slow turns and all that...

- the camera needs (IMO) to get behind a turned car a bit quicker, I found myself coming to a stop and turning and would have the car pointed left/right offscreen to try and follow the arrow, I found that I wanted the camera to be a bit quicker at getting back behind the car when I started moving again

All in all a nice effort! Yet another case of Unity have a young developer showing that he's on the way up. Keep doing what you're doing!

8. User340

User340

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Actually, I had a beta of 2.0. So I started a while ago.

I forgot to say that pressing "r" unstickes you. Also, the spacebar is boost.

There will be a lot more detail in the final versoin. The terrain is only about half done.

There's a tiny one in the upper right hand corner.

I'll tweak it a bit. I was going for a slightly more loose camera tracking.

9. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Tried it at home again and the FPS counter works here for some reason :?: Anyhoo the frame rate is much better and quite smooth, unfortunately it's still hard to turn the car and it capsizes to easily :) But it's a clever way to get kids to learn and have fun. I dig it!

take care,

~t

10. User340

User340

11. ian Maclachlan

ian Maclachlan

The water looks awesome now and I love the motion blur. The camera needs to be a lot closer to the car and move only slightly further back when boosting though I think as you feel detached from it with it being so far away.

Also WASD keys don't work for the controls and I have to play with my hands crossed to use the space bar as boost :)

12. bliprob

bliprob

Nice improvements. There's a couple of situations where the camera can hang around under the terrain.

13. Jessy

Jessy

The math questions won't accept input from my keyboard, and the car accelerates much too quickly.

The visuals and sound are great, however.

14. User340

User340

Hm, that's really weird. The equations won't accept input from my keyboard in the web player. But in my project it works fine.:? It must be a bug in the unity web player.

Yes, I'm going to have to either put a box collider and a rigidbody on the camera, or I could send a ray from the camera, pointing in some direction.

15. drJones

drJones

hi daniel : )

looks great so far - nice idea for a learning game. works fine on an intel imac here (including keyboard input) but i second the requests for a bit closer camera WASD control. i really like the choice of music - where did you get that from?

16. User340

User340

Hi drJones. How are you?

Which game did you download. The one that I first posted at the top, or the second one I posted closer to the bottom? Because the one on the top works, just the second one doesn't for me.

I will activate WASD controls.

I will make a button that will toggle camera position,

17. Jessy

Jessy

Ok, so in the latest version, I can get my keyboard to input values on Windows. However, it runs absolutely terribly. I think it might be the reflective water that's killing the performance. The official terrain demo ran great on this machine, but the pretty water was forced to downgrade because of the nightmarish integrated graphics.

Here's what I'm thinking...

I had said to use a more gradual acceleration curve, but even that won't give you the ability to turn when stopped. In Mario Kart for the N64, there was a hop feature that you could use to turn yourself in different directions without moving forward. I would say to either do that, or, even better, have a pole come out of the bottom of the vehicle, and let the car rotate on that pole until you step on the gas. As it is now, I can't get into the happy sparks without a LOT of effort.

18. User340

User340

That's very weird. Thanks for testing it.

19. drJones

drJones

very tired! i finally got back from CA on wendsday (spent the rest of my time up in bodega bay with family). no macs out there so i'd been going through hardcore unity withdrawal ; )

it was the second version and i just checked it again the keyboard input still works here.

20. User340

User340

21. Jessy

Jessy

I still can't steer this beast. I tried using an analog stick to help out, but the slightest tilt left or right, while moving, sends me back the way I came. I also got stuck upside-down when trying to climb the butte with the cool-looking bridge on top.

The trees and other scenery are great, but I can't get to them or the math problems. :(

22. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I agree with Jessy. I LOVE the terrain, water, etc. And the concept is excellent!!!

But the car is wildly uncontrollable for me ... spins around to fast, accelerates way to quickly, etc. It needs to be toned down.

But 9/10 otherwise.

23. drJones

drJones

my up arrow is broken you took out WASD controls so i could only drive around in reverse but a few notes:

- i'd have it if you type in the wrong number you get some sort of feedback that its wrong - if a player thinks they've got it right but it just sits there it seems like the game is stuck.

- Jessy - 'r' seems to reset the vehicle, i'd mention that in the instructions if you plan to keep that in daniel.

- i was able to get over your border colliders easily, i tried to drive under the terrain and it sent me rocketing into space (you can see in the attached image my red car icon is over by the timer text, the car is a few pixels wide center screen ; )

Attached Files:

24. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

The camera feels a bit too loose, and I agree the buggy accelerates a bit too fast. Maybe it should go faster but accelerate slower ? It looks like you are adding a force in an attempt to keep the car upright, something like:

Code (csharp):
    2. rigidbody.AddTorque(Vector3(-rigidbody.angularVelocity.x * drag, 0, -rigidbody.angularVelocity.z * drag) + (Vector3.Cross(transform.up, Vector3.up) * force) );
    That force is too pronounced when you are driving sideways across a hill and your downhill wheels get lifted up.

Also, a tip on the camera:

The built in smooth look at sort of uses the world up all the time, no matter if your car if going up or down. Here is a condensed version of what to do to fix that:

Code (csharp):
    2. // Vector3.Cross gives you a vector that is at a 90 degree angle to both the vectors you put in. Give it (0,0,1) and (0,1,0), it will give you (1, 0 ,0)
    4. # pragma strict
    6. var target : Transform;
    7. var posOffset : Vector3;
    8. var lookOffset : Vector3;
    10. function Update ()
    11. {
    12.     if(!target) return;
    13.     var rb = target.rigidbody;
    14.     var velocity = rb.velocity;
    15.     if(Vector3.Dot(rb.velocity, target.forward) < 0) velocity = -velocity;
    16.     var forward = (rb.velocity + (target.forward * useForward)).normalized;
    17.     var right = Vector3.Cross(Vector3.up, forward);
    18.     var up = -Vector3.Cross(right, forward);
    19.     myT.position = target.position + (forward.normalized * posOffset.z) + (right.normalized * posOffset.x) + (up.normalized * posOffset.y);
    20.     myT.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(target.TransformPoint(lookOffset) - transform.position);
    21. }
    I like the direction this is heading. Driving around like mad on some terrain is always fun.

25. User340

User340

Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have keyboard input problems, when answering an equation. On occasion, it doesn't work on my computer, maybe because I have an old keyboard.

I know I'm mentioning this again, but does anyone have an idea of how to make a GUI TexField active without clicking on it first?