Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Math problem, projectile accuracy changed with movement of the player

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BooBi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. BooBi

BooBi

Hi,

I'm having a little problem here.

I'm doing a first person view space shooter. The player's ship is on an orbit around the ennemies (only on the XZ plan (rotate around the Y axis), so on a circular orbit not a spherical) and it can pan up and down from his position on the orbit.
    $Orbit.jpg
    The ship keep firing as you move along with your finger (it's a one finger control system). For the rotation and the panning I've used the Fingergesture scripts.

What I'm trying to achieve now is a sort of inaccuracy factor when moving while shooting. Basically the aim gets less accurate with your speed.
    My idea toward that is to do a circle on a perpendicular plan of the actual shooting axis and randomise the vector of the shot from the base of the ship gun to a point in that circle please see attached the shooting.jpg it will make more sense.
    $Shooting.jpg

At the moment I'm using this code to shoot:
    Code (csharp):
    2. void Fire()
    3.     {
    4.         if(Input.GetButton("Fire1")  Time.time > nextFire)
    5.         {
    6.             nextFire = Time.time + fireRate;
    7.             ForceFire();   
    8.         }
    9.     }
    10.     void ForceFire()
    11.     {
    12.         GameObject thebullet = Instantiate(Bullet, Shooter.transform.position,this.transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    13.         thebullet.rigidbody.AddForce(this.transform.forward*bulletImpulse,ForceMode.Impulse);                                    
    14.     }
    Basically I need to create a vector or quaternion of inaccuracy to add to the this.transfrom.rotation.

I really don't get how to manage the two vector (intitial rotation and inaccuracy) and how to link the movement to the inaccuracy. If possible, I would like to make the circle of inaccuracy grow or shrink depending of the speed.

My idea would be to use a random range for the rotation in Z (up/down) and Y(left/right) the speed of the movement would be linked (idk how) with the random range max number (0 being no movement 10° being highest speed).

Questions:

- How can I determine how fast the ship is moving (using the script TBOrbit and TBPan from FingerGesture)?

- Once I've got my random ranged rotation: vector3(x, random.range(0,SpeedCoef),random.range(0,SpeedCoef)) how can I apply it to my quaternion rotation?

- Is calculating that constanly won't kill the performances? is there a better way to do that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

unityunity