Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Math Library features and roadmap

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by JakHussain, Jun 27, 2019.

1. JakHussain

JakHussain

I have an app I'd like to rewrite using the job system and burst compiler but I'd like to hold off the work until I know what is and isn't available in the math library.

Is there any available roadmap/feature comparison like the lwrp has or do I just need to spend time diving into the source code and make comparisons myself?

And is there any ETA on a stable release window?

2. siggigg

siggigg

I've found the new math library pretty comprehensive. very often you can just change the name of the class and lowercase the method names.. if "Mathf.Abs" -> "math.abs".

I recommend you just try it and see how far you get :)

So far the main limitations I've run into with Burst is not being able to Burst-compile methods outside of jobs and not Burts compiling the Entity Command Buffers that are specific to ECS.

JakHussain likes this.
  3. JakHussain

JakHussain

I've taken a look before and you're right it does seem really comprehensive which makes me curious as to what is still outstanding before it's considered stable. Is it just missing Unit tests or something more substantial? I ask because in my company we need to apply for funding for pretty much everything so I need some certainty as to what things might be missing or incomplete before making a start unfortunately.

4. Razmot

Razmot

headsup, the math.quaternion.euler does not give the same results as the Quaternion.euler (rotations are not applied in the same default order, there is a parameter for the order in the new math library). Made me think I was loosing my mind yesterday !

5. slime73

slime73

Unity.Mathematics had its first stable release back in April. It is stable.