Search Unity

MaterialUI - A Unity UI kit that follows Google's material design guidelines

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MaterialUnity, Jan 7, 2016.

1. MaterialUnity

MaterialUnity

Try disabling the 'SpriteSwapper' component on the button (should be on the 'image' layer) and see if it works. If that is the cause of the issue, you can either assign your sprites for each scaling level on the SpriteSwapper, or remove it entirely if you just want the single sprite for all scaling levels.

Looks like I'll have to make the button's sprite picker work more seamlessly with SpriteSwapper. Thanks for bringing this to our attention :)

~ Declan.

2. MaterialUnity

MaterialUnity

Does it still occur for new Canvasses (ie. ones that never had the old MaterialUIScaler attached)?

~ Declan.

3. nsfnotthrowingaway

nsfnotthrowingaway

1) Is it possible to make a treeview?
    2) Is it possible to change/set a custom icon to a tree or listview item at runtime
    3) Is it possible to dynamically adjust the size of list and treeview icons at runtime?

4. MaterialUnity

MaterialUnity

MaterialUI doesn't contain a native treeview control, however you could still make one yourself using the included components.

If the treeview you create supports it, yes.

See 1) and 2) :)

We are (albeit slowly) working on a new list feature which should get you most of the way there with the treeview (including your requested features), however I'm not 100% sure on when that will be released.

nsfnotthrowingaway likes this.
  5. Yany

Yany

Hi There,

I'm planning to create a business app that is rather similar to a usual native app on Android, thus I found you. However I plan to make it list-heavy, and I did not find anything about that feature, only plans for that. Could you please give me a report what features can we expect, and when will you release a version? I'm really interested in whether you provide data binding just like desktop .NET application SDKs provide with XAML.

So questions about listviews:
    - When a version will be released with ListViews?
    - What features will it support?
    - Will "data binding" be supported?

Thank you and I appreciate your time spent answering my questions helping me to choose between yours or other solutions.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. MattDavis

MattDavis

I had this same issue and managed to fix it.

The issue occurs when using a canvas set to "Scale With Screen Size". When going above a certain reference resolution, text with font size 1 becomes much larger. (This is a Unity bug.)
    1.gif

Because MaterialUI's VectorImage uses text rendering, as it scales down to size 1 it momentarily pops bigger.

To fix this (at least for my purposes):
    1. Open up "VectorImage.cs"
    2. Find the method "OnPopulateMesh"
    3. Replace "if (fontSize == 0)" with "if (fontSize <= 1)"

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    MaterialUnity likes this.
  7. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I'm having an issue with many of the MaterialUI controls not working properly in Layout groups. I will include some screenshots of a test I just did with a Horizontal Layout group and the "Toggle" controls, Switches, Checkboxes, and Radio Button Groups.

In every case they don't properly sit inside the layout group. This image shows a panel with four identical Horizontal Layout Groups. Each is an empty gameobject with the Layout Group component, all four with the same settings. The first group at the top has plain UnityUI Images and they sit properly in the layout group. The next three use the MaterialUI components.

Even more strange is that when the game is first run, the left most materialUI components are farther left, completely off the panel. Then oddly if you alt-tab then tab back, they suddenly move right, but still are clearly not positioned properly.

This is in Unity 2017.2

8. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I just did the same test in 2017.1 and 5.6 and its both better and worse. At first game launch all the MaterialUI controls get mashed together, which is worse. But then again if I alt-tab out and back in again it updates and then it looks correct.

So there seems to be two things going on here:
    1) 2017.2 seems to have an issue with the layout?
    2) Why in all case are the controls wrong initially until such time as you alt-tab away and back? The default UnityUII controls don't have this issue.

9. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Ok this looks like it may be due to an undocumented change in Unity 2017.2, but I think the real problem lies with MaterialUI. After a few hours of digging into it and testing things, it appears that all of the issues I mentioned above (content not aligning properly and content changing after alt-tab) is being caused by the use of the Content Fitter component. Unity even gives a warning in the inspector that this should not be used on children of a layout group. Now in 5.6 despite this warning, the layout is correct. In 2017 however it is not. Removing the Content Fitter will fix it so that the layout is correct in both versions, and also fixes the issue of the content being different in both versions after alt-tab.

10. MaterialUnity

MaterialUnity

Hello!

- We don't know what version will have ListViews :/ We still have to find time to finish it, so our advice is, don't wait for it to start working on your projects...
    - It should have the ability to easily manage a list (add item, add item in position in list, support for different groups with header or not (so you can have a list with a group that is vertical, another that has a grid etc...), support for animating list, animating item add/delete, recyclable list and items etc...
    - And no data binding for now, but we'll have something to link a GameObject (that is an item) with some data, so maybe when we'll work on v2 of the list system :D

~ Yohan

11. NaughtySquirrel

NaughtySquirrel

Hi,

I've got a system where one slider affects another, so it changes maxValue and suchlike. In MaterialUI the dots don't update on the second slider until I drag it. Is there a callback to force the MaterialUI slider to update.

Also you going to add a color picker at all? That would be so useful for me.

Thanks

12. johnsdav

johnsdav

Zymes and Gustavo-Quiroz like this.
  13. pechaut

pechaut

Hi my DropDown lists are not showing and I found the reason why:

When Material UI runs, and the interface has a Dropdown list, it creates a DropDown Canvas, but unfortunately, the canevas does not copy the Layer of the dropdown item, so if, like me, you have a dedicated camera for UI, the list does not show up.

Can you use the item Layer, when spawning the DropDown Canvas ? That would be really helpful.

Cheers,
    Pe

14. Zymes

Zymes

Does it support text mesh pro?

Pagination?

Draggable windows?

Resizable windows?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  15. Zymes

Zymes

16. Zymes

Zymes

Material design is a design pattern. Look here: https://dribbble.com/tags/material_design

You can see that a lot of designs are not looking the same at all, but share the same basic principles.

Only your imagination can set the limits.

17. knuppel

knuppel

Hello,

I'm playing with the date picker, how can i change the names of the months to german names.

Andreas

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  18. SarahAndreaRoyce

SarahAndreaRoyce

I'm looking into this as a replacement for the native ui per system, but on all this desktop systems I'd need drag'n'drop functionality from the outside. Is this possible with this library?

19. knuppel

knuppel

As you can see it seems there is no more support for this asset.

20. shawnblais

shawnblais

Hi, this was posted nearly a year ago now. Any chance you could add the list view, or at least basic material scrolling support? We could handle lists ourselves, it's the animations that are hard to implement.
    Cheers,

21. knuppel

knuppel

As you can see it seems there is no more support for this asset.

22. mlievens

mlievens

As you can see it seems there's an update for this asset.

I was looking forward to this because, in my opinion, Material Design allows you to quickly achieve a good user experience for tools whether you are on mobile or desktop.

23. justtime

justtime

I use it in my app, but can't achive nice performance. Any suggestions?
    You can check it here

24. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

there has been a recent update (v 1.1.8) but not a single word here, nor their forum, nor their twitter...
    i have decided to abandon this package :( i'm sorry it was a really promising solution but maybe we were too few customers

25. DJSvist

DJSvist

Hello. Why VectorImage didn't work on 2019.2? I just updated the project, images worked before this.

Attached Files:

26. CameronGoosen

CameronGoosen

@MaterialUnity Vector Images don't work on 2019.2, please can you provide assistance on this issue :)

27. soorya696

soorya696

is this smooth as an android native UI?
    Does it work on iOS?

28. three10

three10

@MaterialUnity Any news on the VectorImage issue on Unity 2019.2?
    Would be great to get an update or some info how to fix the issue.

Thank you

29. soorya696

soorya696

@MaterialUnity Do you have any sample apk file to test the UI smoothness?

If anybody has a sample apk please provide the link. I want to test the smoothness of the UI because the unity default UI is not as smooth as an android native.

30. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

I had the same issue, and solved it by converting the VectorImage to use TextMeshPro instead of Text.
    Its quite simple and looks way better:

At the end, what that component does is show a nice inspector to find the icon unicode character and pass it to the Unity Text he has.
    So, what I did was to open the cs file and replaced the Text element by a TextMeshPro label. There are a few other things that need to be mapped to the TMPro variables (if I remember correctly, the alignment, etc), but it should be straightforward.

Then, create a TMPro font asset, and set it to dynamic, that way it generates the atlas on the fly as you request different icons.

Hope that helps,
    Frank

31. yezzer

yezzer

viktorkadza likes this.
  32. hottabych

hottabych

Hey, seems like this asset has been deprecated. Why? I've been so excited when I found it in Google and was disappointed that it no longer is on Assetstore...

Minchuilla likes this.
  33. thylaxene

thylaxene

Please just open source it!

rrahim and Minchuilla like this.
  34. AshyB

AshyB

Yeah, why did this get deprecated it was like the best UI asset on the store...

soorya696 likes this.
  35. thylaxene

thylaxene

I can fully understand why. It is hard-work maintaining a product like this.

So would be nice if they just open-source it for the community to maintain if they have no interest in it anymore instead of losing all that work and effort.

Cheers.

rrahim and ZhavShaw like this.
  36. rrahim

rrahim

+1 for open source.

soorya696 likes this.
  37. soorya696

soorya696

+1 for open source

38. ferdinho

ferdinho

+1 for open source

39. BattlefieldNoob

BattlefieldNoob

I've found the old repository (initially the plugin was open source) at here: https://github.com/InvexGames/MaterialUI
    Because I need it on inspector, and the project seems to be "abandoned" I will fork it and make a "UI Elements" version.
    Also, I've bought the paid version, I don't know if I can push that files (it's sort of piracy??). Anyway, you can find my fork here: https://github.com/BattlefieldNoob/UIMaterialElements (I've forked today, next week I will clean-up things and transform it to unity package)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Fotal, Fangh and thylaxene like this.
  40. soorya696

soorya696

great!

41. JakHussain

JakHussain

Starred your repo, more than happy to help out with any issues just document them and I'll make a pull request with whatever I managed to do.

42. BattlefieldNoob

BattlefieldNoob

Thank you all for your support!
    I've activated issues on my forked repo, and pushed some branches and tags.
    Today i will modify the readme, but you can already get the "old version" as unity package by adding
    https://github.com/BattlefieldNoob/UIMaterialElements.git#v0.2.61_upm

in package manager (Window->Package manager->Plus Button -> add package from git URL).
    For now i've tested it in Unity 2019.3.9f1 and i left the original examples.
    Anyway, i will also send an e-mail to Invexgames and try to talk with them to release the asset store version as open source

justtime and Fangh like this.
  43. JakHussain

JakHussain

If you're maintaining your fork, you could also add your repo to openUPM?

On the other hand, the idea of just redoing the material design system for UI toolkit is probably the better choice in the long term.

44. ibyte

ibyte

Hi, question to anyone else still using this UI package - we seem to be missing touch's when run on Android. Same app on IOS does not seem to have the same issue. Anyone else experienced this problem?

45. Fangh

Fangh

Great ! Thank you BattlefieldNoob ! Really appreciate this open source project !
    Does it work in Unity 2020.3 LTS ?

46. skazmierczak

skazmierczak

Does anyone know where i can find the circular loader/spinner? It doesnt seem to be in the forked version of this package