Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GUI MaterialUI - A Unity UI kit that follows Google's material design guidelines

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Saxy_Guy, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

Not yet, but it will :)

2. appsdammit

appsdammit

Hey Invex,
    In your video tutorial you teach how to initiate a toast with a button click, but can you teach how to initiate when a method is caled, (w/o a click)?
    Ive been stick here for days.
    Thanks

3. PygmyMonkey

PygmyMonkey

Hey there,

You have a perfect example on how to do that in the script called Toaster.cs (located in Scripts/Toaster.cs).
    Before doing anything, you need to call (in a Awake or Start method):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ToastControl.InitToastSystem(YourCanvasGameObjectHere);
    You can set the YourCanvasGameObjectHere by declaring a public Canvas YourCanvasGameObjectHere; in your code.

And after that, wherever you want to display a Toast in your code, in any method you want, you can just call:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ToastControl.MakeToast(text,duration,panelColor,textColor,fontSize);

But we've been working on an awesome first version for MaterialUI that will be released on the Asset Store when ready, with A LOT more features and stuff.
    For example, for your Toasts, you would just need to call:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ToastManager.Instance.Show("Hello world!");

4. seanlloydbooth

seanlloydbooth

Hey, love what I've seen so far.

Do you guys have a release date in mind for 1.0?

5. PygmyMonkey

PygmyMonkey

Hey there,
    We're still working on it, but we're really close to a first version that we'll try to beta.
    We also need to make all the doc, videos, website etc... before releasing, so I can't tell you exactly, sorry :/

6. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

Hey guys! After a lot of rethinking and rewriting, PygmyMonkey and I have created MaterialUI - a fully-featured UI toolkit for Unity that allows you to use just about any Material Design element. It also includes a whole lot of awesome tools and features that make UI in Unity a lot less painful.

Check out this cool recreation of Google's Material Design reel (made in Unity!)

Here's an album of all the example scenes in the package

Social stuff: Website, Facebook, Google+, Youtube, Twitter

Come over to the forum and subscribe to the MaterialUI subreddit for all the newest news and all that jazz.

Feel free to also send us an email at contact@materialunity.com

The package will be uploaded to the Asset Store in the coming weeks, but we've currently got a free beta that we'd like to share with some of you - just write a comment letting us know if you'd like a copy, how long you've been using Unity, how long you've been using uGUI, and what kind of things you'd like to try doing with something like MaterialUI :)

7. AlexJBoyd

AlexJBoyd

Big fan of your work here. As an avid Android user and Unity game maker this is great. If you are still taking people for the beta I would love to help!

Saxy_Guy and PygmyMonkey like this.
  8. moure

moure

Hey there, been following this thread since the beginning, and playing around with the free repo. I'm very interested to test the current system's performance and how you handle all these awesome widgets. Mainly interested in quiz games and general android apps. Feel free to add me in the beta, it will be on my asset store list either way :)

Saxy_Guy and nahoy like this.
  9. Ghopper21

Ghopper21

Hey Saxy_Guy, I'm the guy who asked about using MaterialUI for rapid prototyping of UI on Reddit. (See here.) This is exciting news and can't wait to see the progress and to swap in the real version, even if it means a bit of retooling. I've been using Unity on and off for several years, not much until my current project with uGUI. I'd love to get the beta. I would swap it in immediately and happy to give feedback and bug reports. Good luck with the launch!

Saxy_Guy likes this.
  10. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

If you guys email contact@materialunity.com, I'll put you in the queue :)

11. trialnterrorgames

trialnterrorgames

Hi!

So far, this has been an amazing package to use. Sadly, after installing Unity5.2 some functionality (e.g. lists and listitems) stopped working. Any ideas why this is?

12. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

5.2 brought with it some pretty major changes to various uGUI components, and while I haven't yet explored the update, I'm aware that things in MaterialUI might not be compatible

We *should* have this sorted out by the next MaterialUI update :)

13. SmartCarrion

SmartCarrion

How's the work going? I don't see it in the asset store yet, but i'm excited to give it a try! Is this releasing in the next few weeks?

I'm looking forward to seeing how you constructed it and whether i'll be able to customize things to make my own button shapes.

HRoland and jprocha101 like this.
  14. HRoland

HRoland

First of all: sorry for the length and sorry for my bad English, I'm 14 and I'm from Hungary :p

I got to know Unity when 4.0 was around. I was mainly excited to use it, because of it's multiplatform compatibility. I made a few 3d mobile games, but nothing really serious. Exactly one week before the 4.6 announcement, I was harshly planning to switch to Swift and Java because of the lack of a nice UI system in Unity. After 4.6 was released, I was really happy. I made lots of apps using the new UI, I even started a bigger project for a developing competition. The app basically helps healthy people communicate with deaf people via sign language (You can check it out here if you want: http://mutasd.cf/ It's in Hungarian, but I think you can figure it out ;)) The app won 1st place, it was successful, even some newspapers wrote about it :D I was really excited to make more apps. Around this time, I found out about Material Design. I fell in love with it. I really wanted to make apps following Material. I tried to gimmick it in Unity, but it was a pain in the butt. It never looked close enough, and it was complicated. I had lots of ideas, but I didn't want to make them. I really got out of mood. But on Sunday (4 days ago) I found MaterialUI for Unity. At first I thought I was dreaming or something, I didn't want to believe this was made in Unity... Now my mind is shining. My brain is thinking non-stop of the new possibilities. My obsession for app development is back. I already started sketching and designing two apps I want to make and I can't wait for the final release of MaterialUI. My morning routine now includes checking the website, the Asset Store, and the Unity Forums, if MaterialUI was released while I was sleeping.

Some questions:
    • How much will MaterialUI cost? I want to prepare my not existing wallet and my parents :p
    • And please tell me, you didn't forget about pull to refresh :rolleyes:

Thank you for your amazing work! Cannot wait for the release, and I really hope I can get my hands on the beta you were mentioning :)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    UsulPro likes this.
  15. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

The work is coming along well - there's a tad more to do than we were expecting for the original release, but we're working through it! Not 100% sure on a release timeframe, sorry.

You should be able to construct your own buttons shapes - complete with shadows and ripples, if you so wish!

16. Saxy_Guy

Saxy_Guy

No worries, it's certainly legible :)

Wow! I checked out your app and it's quite impressive :)
    I hate to kill the enthusiasm, but unfortunately MaterialUI's still a couple of weeks away. I'll keep you posted though!

• MaterialUI will be around US$50 (it might change a bit though)
    • We definitely haven't forgotten about pull to refresh, it's on our feature list :cool:

Thank you for your enthusiasm and support! Comments like this are what keep me going :D

PS. As for the beta, email us at contact@materialunity.com and we'll see what we can do ;)

SAOTA likes this.
  17. nitekrawler

nitekrawler

Thanks for this awesome tool. It's really helping me create a nice visually pleasing UI with next to no work. Thanks for all your hard work. I don't know what I would do without it.

18. FyreDogStudios

FyreDogStudios

I have sent you an e-mail

19. MaterialUnity

MaterialUnity

Hodgson_SDAS likes this.
  20. Fangh

Fangh

Is it still downloadable ?