Search Unity

Materials showing up as solid color

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jbradforddillon, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jbradforddillon

jbradforddillon

Howdy.

I've been using Unity for a couple of weeks and this is the first issue I've run into that I can't find a solution to. I do NOT have a background in 3D, but I DO have a background in programming, so keep that in mind. My issue may be a simple one.

Here's the situation:

I create a plane primitive in Unity, and I apply my material which has a custom texture image. No problem. I can adjust the offset and the tiling. No problem at all. The plane has 200 triangles in it, which seems like overkill, so I'm trying to simplify.

I drop in a plane created in Blender (I've also tried Lightwave), it's an OBJ file. OBJs have worked fine in the past. The plane has 2 triangles. When I apply the same material to it, the texture shows up on the plane as a solid color, which is, incidentally, one of the colors in the texture image. If the image is of grass, the plane shows up green. If the image is of blue sky, the plane shows up blue.

What am I doing wrong?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You need to put the texture on the model in Blender or Lightwave and then save/export... if you don't do this step the UVs will not export properly.

3. jbradforddillon

jbradforddillon

Thanks for your fast reply. I've now done this with both of the applications, and still have the same result. Any other suggestions? Anyone?

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You don't actually need to apply a texture in Blender (only if you want it to auto-texture), but you do need to UV map. In Blender, press "space", then do Add->Mesh->Plane. Then press "u" and do Project From View->Bounds. Then save.

--Eric

Jaggednad likes this.