Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Materials not appearing in Cardboard VR builds

Discussion in 'VR' started by J-Sharp, Mar 7, 2019.

1. J-Sharp

J-Sharp

I have built various VR applications for the Oculus before, and I'm trying my hand at android VR dev. I was able to download their sample scene and make modifications; however, I'm running into a very strange problem. When I drag PNG's from my assets on the 3D objects in the scene to automatically texture them with the picture as the material, they appear fine in the editor and play mode, but appear grayed out when I build to my android phone. I have tried a plethora of shaders but have been unsuccessful. If anyone has a solution to this problem, or knows a better way to make a google cardboard GUI, any help would be appreciated.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Don't use any plethora of shaders. Stick to the Standard shader (for now). Check the import settings on your texture and make sure they're reasonably sized (1024x1024 is a decent size in most cases). Check your Build Settings, make sure Texture Compression is set to ASTC. In Player Settings, make sure OpenGLES3 is your top (or only!) Graphics API, and set your Minimum API Level to something reasonably high (I use 23 on Beatron 2000).

Finally, since I'm handing out advice, forget about Cardboard. That's so 2017. Oculus Go (and soon, Quest) is where it's at for mobile VR; almost nobody wants to strap their phone to their face anymore.