Search Unity

Materials Ideas

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JBGamemaker, Dec 16, 2018.

1. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

I dont know if im in the right community but here it goes. I'm a 10th grader just starting out in unity and i'm in the early (So early that I've barely done anything) stages of making a kart racer based on the universe of SMG4 (link to his channel). But I'm not very creative on designing karts made out of stuff find in your home. so the only way of coming up with unique house-hold-object-made karts is to pick 1-3 theme(s) for the materials for each racer's kart. So i need your help coming up with ideas for what these karts should be made out of. And if possible give me a list of game development tips and tricks to get me started on this kart racer, & some motivational messages. Note: some of the karts designs have been already figured out (i apologize for my drawing skills)

THE LIST:

1. SMG4 Mario, Theme(s): kitchen (mostly spaghetti cooking machines), Base:The b-dasher from mario kart 8
    2. SMG4 Luigi, Theme(s): phasmophobia (the fear of ghosts) & house hold objects in luigi's mansion: dark moon, Base: The poltergiest 4000 (from mario kart ds)
    3. SMG4 Peach, Theme(s): items found in a shopping mall, Base: The birthday girl (from mario kart 7)
    4. SMG4 Toad, Theme(s): objects related to candy,parties,&the first ever Super mario brothers game, Base: the mushmellow
    5. SMG4 Wario & Waluigi, Theme(s): objects related to greed, & Scamming methods, Base: A 2 seated brute (from mario kart ds)
    6. Smg4 Bowser, Theme(s): 15% Justin bieber, 15% girly stuff, cooking machines for chicken nuggets, and The ALL materials, Base: The badwagon (from mario kart 8)
    7. Fishy boopkins (if you dont know who he is go to smg4's channel) Theme(s): items, objects, ect relating to/from any anime, Base:
    8. BoB, Theme(s): Rapping equipment, Objects relating to attention/the want of friends, & 75% the ALL materials, base:
    9. Meggy, Theme(s): ANYTHING splatoon, Base:
    10. Tari, Theme(s): The most clever video game references you can come up with, Base: The mario kart 8 standard kart
    11. lapiz lazuli and peridot (yes. from Steven universe), theme(s): The crystal temple/the gem homeworld, water, and science, base:
    12. Pearl (ALSO from Steven universe), theme(s): anything that makes her look-like she's the profit of a cult of rose quartz (ex: dolls, pictures of, candles for,EVEN HAIR of rose quartz, Steven's biological mom), Base:
    13. DirectDoggo (the creator of the DayShift At Freddy's Series: An HILARIOUS series of five nights at freddy's fan-games), theme(s): Stuff you'd find in a chuck e cheese, Base:
    14. Shrek, Base AND design: a MUCH MORE smoother remake of his kart from shrek kart
    15. Flik (yes. from a bug's life) Theme(s): The ALL materials (Only rule is that its bigger versions of stuff an ant could get into), Base:
    16. MOSES (BEFORE YOU REPORT ME. I Respect ALL religions and beliefs, and im NEVER going to attack a religion/race/ect. i thought a character from an awfully animated movie was memey enough) (besides he's from joshua and the promised land) Theme(s): (oh gosh...:() Christian and Jewish items relating to the story of Joshua, Base:
    (The ALL Materials are stuff like garbage bags, trash cans, cardboard boxes, and other stuff you'd find in a dumpster)
    Characters whos karts i already figured out:
    1. Steve (yes from minecraft)
    2. Garfielf
    3. My Avatar
    4. Skynet (From the terminator series)
    All of the properties go to their respective owners

The bases for the characters with them coming soon

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Have you made the ones you've listed yet?

If not, do that first, post pictures, and then you'll get much more useful answers. Stuff like this has to be cohesive, so a million people throwing a million random suggestions is just going to make a mess. If you can show your art style though, then there is something to go off of.

3. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

k im planning to upload them to imgur soon

4. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Make a couch-kart IE a sofa with wheels and trays for snacks and drinks.
    ~ a stoner.

you mean Garfield?

5. Murgilod

Murgilod

They do not.

6. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

7. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

@SparrowsNest Umm garfielf along side steve, my avatar, and skynet (from the terminator series) are all characters that i already figured out the designs of the karts for

try to give me some materials relating to the themes of one of the characters that i HAVEN'T figured out yet IF you can come up with any (no meaness). But either way ill take your ideas into consideration as smaller details

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

What do you mean by "materiels"? I've never heard of that being a thing in cart games. Do they effect game play? Why aren't all the carts just steel-frame fiberglass?

9. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

because i like the idea of homemade karts in the Shrek kart app. The idea of them being made out of house/mall/hotel/arcade-hold objects and junk brings more uniqueness to their designs that's all. And if THAT excuse fails, then ITS SMG4, where one character has spaghetti as THEIR BLOOD, a tag-team duo of 2 characters where one of them gained supernatural powers from being "rejected", and that's filled with MEMES

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

I mean, make whatever the hell you want, but you're still not giving us any indication what your actual skill level is, which makes it hard to suggest anything.

SparrowsNest likes this.
  11. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

If you actually intend to build this game, I would suggest that you not even worry about designs yet. Make the game work first. By the time you're done with that, you'll have had plenty of time to come up with more designs.

Also, go to the library and find some D.I.Y. crafts books--when you're trying to make something, seeing what other people have already done is very inspiring (though you may have to search a bit if you're going to find books that actually match the themes you're going for). Probably don't look for stuff on the internet, though--better to stay out of the minefield than to tread carefully and hope for the best.

I might also recommend that you download (with your parents' permission) and learn to use Blender (probably the beta version, as it's apparently quite a bit easier to use). That way, when you're done with the gameplay, you'll be able to make the graphics for the game as well~

(One last thing: for Moses, base his kart off the Ark Of The Covenant. It has a description in the Bible, but you could also just use the design from Indiana Jones if you're too lazy. I admittedly did not watch that horrendous mess you used as a source, so I don't know if that's too appropriate, or too inappropriate, or...)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  12. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

On second thought, don't use the Ark Of The Covenant if you intend to publish this game. Somebody would absolutely interpret it as disrespectful, even if you don't mean to be.

13. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

ok im planning on doing publishing the game. So... do you have any other ideas?

14. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

but what if i put a disclaimer after unlocking him warning players of the possibility of being disrespectful to their beliefs? or an option so switch characters from the controversial one to the non controversial one?

15. SparrowsNest

SparrowsNest

Its not a matter of players feeling x on y, its about copyrights and getting your ass sued.

16. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

i know and ESPECIALLY when its using NINTENDO'S IPS

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

So don't do that then.

Make something original.

18. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

ill TRY to figure something out ok?

19. MegamaDev

MegamaDev

Honestly, I think you're in the wrong place. It's one thing to ask your friends for help on a project; it's another to ask a pool of random strangers on the internet, of whom maybe five are going to notice the post, and of whom maybe one are going to be willing enough to spend their time providing you with what essentially amounts to work-for-free.

I'd like to be that maybe one, incidentally, but I'd like it even better if you could do it yourself. Not so much because that would lift a burden off of all of us, as because learning to do something is a really awesome experience once you get through it, and because the only way to know that is by experiencing it. (Or maybe it's a thing you're no good at, in which case you've still learned something: what you're no good at, and thus don't need to expend effort on right now.)

20. JBGamemaker

JBGamemaker

k ill try to do it myself and im gonna figure out a way AROUND the fair use stuff