Search Unity

Materials are pink

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q, Nov 22, 2018.

1. unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

Hi everyone,

So I recently purchased an asset package. So I imported it and opened the demoscene. However, the whole scene is pink.

I checked the materials that are linked in the materials properties of each object and they're not missing. But they're linking to materials that are pink. I feel like there went something wrong while importing, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me? :D

Attached Files:

breylinlee and njyxster like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to add the textures to the materials used by the objects.

technoabg and zolvaring like this.
  3. unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

I checked the material's texture and it looks like it's linked?

Attached Files:

4. unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

unity_aJBMLuIfo-s93Q

Oh I found it.
    I had to change the shader settings from standard > LightweightPipeline/Standard (Physically Based). Anyway still thanks for your reply :D

5. pilfhunter

pilfhunter

For everyone using Unity 2019 and above, start the template with "Universal Project Template".

6. Dediperri

Dediperri

I have the problem with the pink materials, but idk what u mean, i dont know how to start with "Universal Project Template", where is it?

7. hertz-rat

hertz-rat

The materials are pink because Unity has changed how their shaders work in the time since that asset was released. Unity shaders seem to change constantly, so this is pretty common. To get the asset to work now, you need to update its materials.

If you are lucky, look for edit -> render pipeline -> upgrade all materials to...

If you are unlucky, you have to create new materials and can then usually drag and drop the appropriate textures into the shader's slots. You could also try shader graph if something isnt' working, eg, swaying in the wind.

(also, some asset creators will update their packages - watch for that also)

8. BearFromMars

BearFromMars

amazing! worked for me

borismakarow likes this.
  9. aforrest1305

aforrest1305

Hello all,

So last week i was working on the 3d game kit with my GTX1050ti, dont judge, and everything was fine no pinkness. This weekend i installed my new RTX 2070s and reopened the project 3d game kit and everything is pink. Complete newbie following the courses via udemy etc.

Any help please on how i can rectify this problem. I have looked in edit but cannot see a render pipeline etc

Many thanks in advance.

10. BearFromMars

BearFromMars

don't have an answer but a gtx 1050ti isn't bad.

11. HassanNiaz113

HassanNiaz113

Apparently, your 3d game's graphics were using your GTX 1050Ti. You could try changing the graphical settings in the Editor or install the needed drivers. If it still doesn't works, try reinstalling your old GTX 1050Ti for the 3d game. Then, when it's done, reinstall your new one.

12. The_Thinker

The_Thinker

This is it guys

Tjwest likes this.
  13. seelts

seelts

Thank you!!!!

14. njyxster

njyxster

I have the same problem - there are also quite a lot of errors in the console like this "
    Shader properties can't be added to this global property sheet. Trying to add _GrabTexture_ST (type 1 count 1)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)".

It would be great if someone could do a step by step of how to set up from a fresh project on unity 2020.*** something!

15. primoix

primoix

I
    have the same issue. It doesn't have any of the options they listed above, at least not easy access for a beginner like myself and it's really impacting the development :/

16. AHMED59762

AHMED59762

I have a problem that the material is colored with slightly gradual colors, how can I make it not colored?

Attached Files:

17. THKITBLDIT

THKITBLDIT

Try reloading shaders. It’s worked for me.

18. kaancetinkayasf

kaancetinkayasf

Solution: Select all materials and then do >

1.png 1

2.png 2

3.png 3

19. Tortugs

Tortugs

You are a hero!

20. seriouslee131

seriouslee131

@Ciraec is a F***ing trooper. Thank you.

ChristianThorup likes this.
  21. Bones888

Bones888

22. jaradhya83

jaradhya83

You can select the materials which needs upgrade
    Edit-> render Pipeline-> Universal Render Pipeline-> Upgrade Selected Metrials

This worked for me :)

23. Mxranxx

Mxranxx

Hey there it worked. All you have to do is go to in the edit section which is next to file section then select render pipeline then after universal Render pipeline then after upgrade project materials to URP Materials

CheeseburgerAndChips likes this.
  24. CheeseburgerAndChips

CheeseburgerAndChips

Thanks, this helped me :D

25. dashort1

dashort1

still doesnt work, why

26. vivekhacx

vivekhacx

27. tacman1123

tacman1123

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  28. al33f

al33f

SjpielseWolf likes this.
  29. al33f

al33f

For people who can't fix the issue even after edit -> render pipeline -> upgrade all materials go to the project settings and change the render pipeline under Graphics. In my case I pulled a URP project from Plastic but Unity didn't use a URP template when it created the project so I had to do this manually.

30. tacman1123

tacman1123

Thanks, that was exactly this.

I don't understand how I can open the official Unity UI demo in the official latest LTS of Unity and it can't figure out during the upgrade process that the package needs to install URP. I guess URP was included in 2020 but needs to be added in 2021.

Still lots of errors, but at least the materials are now right. Thanks.

31. servobit

servobit

For unity version 2021.3.0f1 Personal

I highly recommend backing up your project before attempting this....

Go to : Window > Rendering > Render Pipeline Converter

The Render Pipeline Converter Dialog box will appear

Change the dropdown menu from "Convert Built-in to 2D (URP)" to: '"Built-in to URP"

Select the following checkboxes:

"Rendering Settings" (check)
    "Material Upgrade" (check)
    'Read Only Material Converter" (check)

On the bottom left of the dialog box, press the "Initialize Converters" button

Finally, click on the "Convert Assets" button.

All of my assets / prefabs, including the terrain were pink before I did this, it worked for me so I thought I would share.

a188556, dotMatt, Erutanni and 2 others like this.
  32. mumuthemoos

mumuthemoos

For newer versions uh press edit and then go to the bottom find rendering then materials then convert.(figured out by pressing everything)

33. bernard_VRtz

bernard_VRtz

with unity editor 2021.3.9 you will have to go Edit => Rendering => materials => convert selected built in materials to URP
    of cause if your lucky

34. rinto_avarachan

rinto_avarachan

Work for me too. Thanks. :)

35. Envilon

Envilon

For me, selecting all materials in the Project window and pressing Edit->Rendering->Materials->Convert Selected Built-in Materials to URP works. The materials are not pink in the editor, even in the play mode. It correctly changes the Standard (built-in) shader to Universal Render Pipeline/Lit shader for all the selected materials. Note that you can do this manually, but this option makes it easier if you have a lot of materials.

However, when I restart the editor or build the project, the materials go back to pink in the editor and they are also pink in the build. Did anyone else have this problem? Were you able to fix it somehow?

EDIT: Found out that materials also go back to pink if I reimport them from Project window.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Unity 2021.3.9f1, Universal RP 12.1.7

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  36. Envilon

Envilon

I have fixed it. My problem was, that the materials were connected to my FBX/STL files and could not be edited manually (even though the Edit->Rendering->Materials->Convert Selected Built-in Materials to URP option can force the change temporarily somehow). See the discussion here.

The solution was to Extract Materials from the model's import settings. Then, I was able to edit the shaders in the extracted materials and remap the materials in the import settings to these newly extracted. Now the correct materials are used in the build and the changes are kept between the editor restarts.

nuskadamodev likes this.
  37. varoltaskiran9

varoltaskiran9

Why is this doesnt work on shaders?

38. Invertex

Invertex

Because there's not a reliable way to automatically convert custom shaders to URP, there's a lot of complexity there and some features that don't exist in URP. I would recommend just googling for URP versions of shader effects you need.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2022
  39. MatthewBrister

MatthewBrister

I am building off of the FPS Microgame template and everything the i import or add, such as packages or assets, always turns out pink. I tried to set it to the Universal Render Pipeline, but for some reason the URP is installed, but not showing up in the toolbar. Can anyone help with this?

40. MatthewBrister

MatthewBrister

41. MegaHoneyCodes

MegaHoneyCodes

For those who got stuck on this more recently, Unity has a render pipeline converter you can use.
    Once you have imported your asset, go to window > Rendering > select Render pipeline Converter. Choose “Built-in to URP” in the drop-down > Then tick the boxes for necessary components. > initialize converts > Convert Assets. Whalah That should have sorted everything for you. Have fun.

Attached Files:

NaCl likes this.
  42. sininiknikisin

sininiknikisin

43. hamed031

hamed031

Here's what i did and it worked. After adding former assets, select each GameObject and go to material and beside shader, choose Standard from the list. Screenshot 2023-03-10 232657.png

44. LegendaryCarrie

LegendaryCarrie

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this LOL. I was getting so frustrated!

45. mrprincejagani

mrprincejagani

go to Edit >> Rendering >> Materials >> Convert Selected .... to ....

hope this will fix your problem

upload_2023-4-12_13-34-54.png

46. Vicktorviggo

Vicktorviggo

my fix was for the urp and i just clicked in the top left on Edit - Rendering - Materials - Convert selected built-in materials to urp

47. Smith_Slayer

Smith_Slayer

i recently had this problem too.turns out i selected the wrong Play Mode Script in addressable group,should choose Use Asset Database when altering game in editor.

48. garwil80

garwil80

This video helped