Search Unity

3D Materialization without textures - vertex colors

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by JamesArndt, Mar 26, 2023.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

In this development log for The Answer is Never! I discuss my texture-less approach using vertex colors to materialize the game's 3D content. That's right. I don't intend on using any 2D texture maps for any of the in-game 3D content. I found myself very much inspired by Tomas Sala and his texture-less approach to rendering The Falconeer. I will eventually plug in procedural maps to add in a grime/wear/dirt pass. This is my own indie game and not affiliated with my work at Unity.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023
  2. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is amazing, wanted to use vertex color in Blender, however since only use 2.83 LTS it's bit limited how many polys the stuff can even handle, it starts to slow down at 100.000 - 200.000 poly, and then baking the stuff to a texture takes a ton of effort, shader stuff, then bake weird settings . . .

big fan of vertex color, really want to see more content, or apps for those, however being an old // true-to-roots Blender user sort - of stuck with a program that's not the best // fastest for making vertex colors, tried subdividing a character think three times, and it nearly crashed the painting stuff . . . :) :D

JamesArndt likes this.