Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Official Material Variants now available in Unity 2022.1

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Matjio, Jun 10, 2022.

1. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Welcome to the Material Variants discussion thread. You can use this thread to ask for help, share feedback, and have discussions about this new feature available in Unity 2022.1.

We are super excited to introduce this new system (which has been requested for a long time and quite highly voted on our public roadmap!) to manage variants of materials at scale!

It allows for reuse and improve management of materials that share most surface properties and differ only through others (think "Prefabs for Materials").

You can read more about it in our documentation and blog post.

Once you have tinkered with the system, please take 5 minutes to fill our poll that will help us validate the quality of our initial design.

Best,
    The Unity Graphics Team

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022 at 12:41 PM
  2. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Really nice new feature!

I'm going to make full use of it, thanks!

( About the survey, sorry not doing those, as there is too much data mining questions that have nothing todo with the material variants, like the first questions about organisation etc. I may be wrong but I feel like if I don't put there an organisation with millions of revenue my answers will not be valued the same )

unityunity