Search Unity

Material tiling spans multiple objects

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Ap0C552, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Ap0C552

Ap0C552

I have created a cube and added material to it. When I click on that cube in the inspector, a panel for that material shows up under the mesh renderer panel. There I change the tiling value from 1,1 to 10, 10.

Following this I copied and pasted 4 instances of that cube. Now when I click any one of those 4 cubes, and edit that specific instances material tiling, that change is reflected in ALL instances of that cube. How can I "uncouple" these separate instances of cubes, such that I can have separate values for the material attached to each.

Thanks for any guidance that can be provided.

2. bgolus

bgolus

In the editor when modifying material properties you are actually modifying that material asset, unlike in game where modifying material properties in script creates a new temporary material with your modified settings. If you want each cube to have unique material property settings you'll need to create unique material assets.

Alternatively you can add a script that modifies the settings when it runs in game, or you can try exploring material property blocks which you can add in game or in editor to modify material settings with out creating a new material.

Ap0C552 and theANMATOR2b like this.