Search Unity

Material/Texture Blending - Unity Guidance

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Nostromos, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Nostromos

Nostromos

Hey there, new hobbyist here and I need to blend textures on prefabs.

I have a prefab of a probuilder model and i would like to apply one material (to the entire surface which i have already done) and then 'spray' or 'blend' a second material on top of that. I am using 2021.2 URP and would like to know the guidance/path take.

It seems Polybrush doesn't work straight out of the box (URP) for this sort of thing as you need to make your own shaders. Should i use the terrain tool? some other tool? or is polybrush the way to go and supported going forward? For a 2021.2 user what is the main feature that will be supported going forward to do material/texture blending, thanks!

2. TPEUnity

TPEUnity

Polybrush example package has shader that uses vertex colors to blend textures, u could try that.

3. Nostromos

Nostromos

Thank you for your reply, and I will certainly try it, but my question is more about road map of 2021. If you were to tell new folks that want to do texture/material blending in 2021 + URP, is that even a thing? Or is that feature going to be deprecated and going forward we need to do it via Shader Graph (as an example). To restate, what is the supported path going forward and is it even a 'thing' in 2021 URP, regarding texture/material blending, thanks!

Sorry for the newbie question but still getting used to all the features and tools, thanks!

4. TPEUnity

TPEUnity

Well for landscapes and stuff like that unity terrain is the way to go and its not going to be deprecated anytime soon. Then there are decals that can be used to project textures onto models, could be used for bullet holes, puddles etc... Those are the out of the box ways really, for more special stuff u will have to look into custom shaders.

5. Nostromos

Nostromos

Thanks again for your reply!