Search Unity

Question Material is not showing properly when importing FBX from Maya

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MaayanEli, May 1, 2023.

1. MaayanEli

MaayanEli

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me, I have an issue when I try to import fbx files from Maya to Unity the material is "there" but not really. (As seen in the screenshot of what happens when I try). The models themselves are fine, the material is just sort of empty and uneditable. I tried a bunch of things when I exported them on Maya but nothing worked, and it's like this with all the fbx files.
    What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 14.31.20.png

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You almost always need to recreate the details of anything but the simplest Materials when you arrive at the Unity side.

Sometimes you can do clever naming tricks in your 3D software that helps Unity reconnect stuff (Textures to Materials for instance), but the two rendering systems are in no way related except at the most superficial level.

MaayanEli and Unifikation like this.
  3. kdgalla

kdgalla

In the import settings, you have to "extract materials". Then you can edit them.

MaayanEli likes this.
  4. Unifikation

Unifikation

THIS!

Don't do anything in Maya other than get your UV's perfect and smoothing groups right, since this is the two areas where Maya has a HUGE array of advantages over Blender and almost everything other than 3ds Max (which is still the king for this stuff), and is all you can best do in Maya for your subsequent Unity materials.

MaayanEli likes this.
  5. MaayanEli

MaayanEli

Thank you all for the help!