Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Master Audio - AAA Sound Solution. #1 audio plugin on Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by dark_tonic, Jan 28, 2013.

1. jerotas

jerotas

V 2.8.4 submitted to Asset Store. Changes are:

- Added code to automatically add variations added in bulk in Dynamic Sound Group Creator in alphabetic clip name order.
    - Added a button to Dynamic Sound Group Creator to alpha sort the variations under a Group.
    - Added up and down arrows to variations in Dynamic Sound Group Creator so you can rearrange them in whatever order you like.

Anything else you guys wish you could do with the plugin / find it hard to do etc?

2. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Does this system allow you to easily play music that survives a scene load? For example for a loading screen?

3. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, music and sound fx will survive the scene load if you turn on the option "Persist Across Scenes". You can also set up different sound fx per scene with a Dynamic Sound Group Creator prefab in this mode. Dead simple.

Thanks for asking!

4. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Yeah, it all looks very easy to use this, so I bought it :) I do have some questions though.

I was thinking of setting up most sound in a startup scene(with persist on). This would be menu/ui sounds, character sounds and music that is shared among game levels.
    Then use the dynamic sound group creator prefab in each scene with custom sounds for this level. That would be mostly level specific music and enemy sounds.

But, Dynamic Sound group creator isn't mentioned in the tutorial video. Do you have a document somewhere with suggested workflow? How would I typically access these sounds? Just by group string?

Also, Dynamic Sound Groups only support sounds right, not music. I assume music set to streaming not will use huge amounts of memory, so that's fine.

In your Sound Event component I can select from all groups created. Is there some easy way I can access this list from my own custom component? For example to let a designer specify a death sound on a monster.

Kjetil

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you for the support! That's the most important thing I was after when making this plugin. That's it's easy to use :)

You are correct, anything level-specific you'd use Dynamic SGC for. There's a checkbox to make those sounds (and any buses you create there) go away when the scene changes automatically.

The Dynamic SGC pretty much looks like the Master Audio Prefab in the way you configure Sound Groups to create. In fact, it is a mini-Master Audio prefab. It is fully documented (as is everything) in the ReadMe PDF. It has its own section and there's a table of contents to find it. Quite simple to use although powerful and flexible. Yes, for dynamically created Groups, you type or paste in the Group name to access them, since they won't appear in the dropdowns automatically. I always stream all my music since they're the largest sound files, and that means they actually take up zero memory (I've done testing). I recommend that approach.

It is possible. I will add a base class to do this for you that you can copy and modify in the next version. I assume you're just wanting a dropdown in the Inspector? Clarify what exactly you want the list for and I will see what I can do! However, as mentioned, that list only will show Sound Groups already in the Master Audio prefab at design time, which does not include any that will be created by Dynamic SGC's.

6. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Thanks, I think I have a good overview of how to use it now. I should work perfectly :) I tested the Dynamic SGC and it worked alright.
    A sample showing how to get a dropdown in the inspector would be great yep, just how to display the list, and retrieve the group string.

Nice work and thanks for quick response! :)

Kjetil

7. jerotas

jerotas

Actually I just checked and the reason I didn't include an example script before to create a dropdown of Sound Groups for custom scripts is the fact that it's only possible by making a custom Inspector (in the Editor folder) for each script. And I didn't think anyone would want to go to the trouble of doing that. If you still want a barebones custom Inspector with the dropdown I can accomodate. Let me know.

This was much easier before when I had an Enum, however that lacked flexibility and added an extra step. Without using a custom inspector you would just make a public string field and read the Sound Group name from there.

8. im

im

hey jerotos hope all is well. so are there multiple of you using the same account account, or dont you sleep / have live cause i see you here 24x7 ;)

can you add like a generic event (action) that i can extend (implement) and throw (trigger) and it can catch (listen for)

take a look at your competition, hint Wingrove Audio, here watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47CpmxU8EsI#t=23 and read this http://www.wickedworx.net/wingrovea...ing-up-an-audiohierarchy-with-wingroveaudio-2, see how it's done can you basically add that

i know copy cat, but one does it everyone has to do it, its like keeping up with the jone's, such is market competition ;)

cya

9. jerotas

jerotas

I never am on the forum while I'm asleep, you must just not post anything at that time :). I'll take a look at that. We all steal features from each other, sometimes improving on it in the process - although we may not all admit it. I do. That's a good plugin, although the UI is a bit clunky IMHO.

10. im

im

i think it started with the original wheel. and look what pong has evolved into... it fits right in with .net events/delegates and give nice way to do with without code and not so tightly coupled.

anyways best of luck and also have you looked at using native multithreading to load the sounds in the background. sort of would be nice for precaching. not very hard to do with .net. think hard disk read queue/caching.

you know yo look at a lot of games and all those core going to waste. most game developers just make so little use of multithreading. its ashame and then you see their customers nothing but complainging that gpu/ cpu is mostly idle one core is pegged at 100% and they are getting horrible framerate... just go to steam forums and see game after game

so every little bit of sneaking mulithreading may help. also for loading assets... you could easily create caching/pooling asset that does it. even have way for players to load on demand things or delayed with multithreading...

anyways cheers

11. jerotas

jerotas

Maybe you are not aware of the way this plugin manages sound, so I'll lay it out. Specifically, I prefer to keep MasterAudio as it is now in the preloading department. Which is like this: all the audio is preloaded per scene, or loaded up at the very beginning of the scene by a Dynamic DSG and always available until removed by Dynamic DSG or script. That may occasionally require judicious decisions on which 100 SFX to keep in any single scene (and I know it can handle more than that even on an "older" device such as an iPad2), however the performance is much better without requiring scripts to preload / monitor when the sound is done playing to pool / despawn / spawn the sound prefab.

Master Audio doesn't need any of those types of scripts taking up performance slices because the prefabs are created up front and re-used. Only the new fading commands use an actively running script on any playing clip, and even those do so in a kind-of multi-threaded way, namely using CoRoutines that don't run every frame.

Still, I will have a look at what Wingrove has done and see if I can understand the usefulness of this particular feature you mentioned above. I am curious, and currently I have no features for Master Audio in my to-do list, so it's a good time for it.

12. jerotas

jerotas

I watched the video and read the tutorial. About the tutorial, I had trouble imagining a scenario where this is useful or actually something Master Audio cannot do. Please let me know what in particular you are trying to do and how Master Audio falls short in that. Instead of me trying to copy another author's solution to this, I would prefer to think about it from the ground up, and in the context of my code as it is now. It may provide better results this way.

Thank you!

13. im

im

ha i caught you offline, so you do sleep ;)

anyways i thought the way he did events is very nice and would add value to what you already have.

i understand that you have something slightly different

his is just more open/expandable which is nice. you have more of a fixed list. i guess someone could always change your source code, but he has api for it.

finally thanks for looking best regards.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  14. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Jerotas, yes I was thinking a bit more about the enum list, and maybe it won't be so useful after all. Since I will add most sounds in a separate start up scene, I won't have access to the enums from a different scene anyway.

One more question though. If a component has been "populated" with an audioclip, the same clip which is in the master audio group list. Will unity only use the memory of the one clip, or will it be double? It could be an ok way for the level guys to place out the sounds. They would be able to drop it into the component, and test it, but the game would only use the name of the clip.

Also, when we create the scenes, we usually just load only that specific scene during production. We don't first load a startup scene when we are building something and quickly want to test the game. The problem then is that the sounds would be missing, since most of them are in the startup scene.
    Do you have a suggestion on how this could be solved? You don't want to save the scene, load the startup scene, and then load the actual playfield, that's too time cumbersome. Fine when you actually play the game, but not during testing.

And another note, there is a bug when adding a new Bus. Sometimes it's not added properly. I add the bus, and it shows up on the right group. However, when I start play, it clears the bus field and I get an error message saying it does not exist. It does not happen all the time, not worked with this enough to give you a repro.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  15. jerotas

jerotas

If you want to be able to control the pitch of a looped clip in realtime as it's playing (seems the general gist) I can add something. Is that what you're after?

16. jerotas

jerotas

No the memory does not double. No increase at all regardless of the "weight" of the clip.

Right, this problem is inherent will all prefabs you will place in your "bootstrapper scene" that only ever gets loaded once. Only two ways to go:
    1) The cumbersome way, you mentioned.
    2) Actually keep a Master Audio in each scene until the game is ready to submit, then change it to use the Dynamc SGC.

I have the same problem with Playhaven and many other plugins I use for games. I think there is a cheap plugin that gets around this somehow but I forgot the name. It loads the first scene for you regardless of what scene you're in?

I'll take a look. Sounds like the Inspector doesn't save at the right time always. What version of Unity are you on?

17. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V 2.8.4 is now live on the Asset Store.

18. Hjeldnes

Hjeldnes

Ok, great that the memory does not double. Then it's very easy to replace my old PlaySound method with the AudioMaster.Playsound3D method. And it is nice not having to type the names.
    One little issue, is that you automatically rename groups to have a uppercase first letter. But I just renamed all sound files from "name" to "Name".

I currently keep a master audio in each scene, but we do have a _lot_ of sounds. It seems like it's not possible to make a prefab of the AudioMaster file. It doesn't find the playlistcontroller. So, do you know how to fix this? Is it intended to work like that, or is it a bug?

I use unity 4.2.0 now, should upgrade to 4.2.2 soon.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  19. jerotas

jerotas

I think I'll get rid of the uppercasing code, you're the 2nd person who has mentioned not liking that. Consider it done.

Unfortunately the Playlist Controller is a separate prefab because there was a user who didn't want it and I separated it so there is an alternate flow for situations like that. You can still prefab Master Audio, you just need to prefab Playlist Controller as well and add it to each scene (or you can put a "don't destory on load" script on it and only have one).

If you are having a different problem let me know what it is. By the way, I haven't been able to reproduce the create bus bug you saw...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  20. jerotas

jerotas

Heads up, I just submitted Master Audio 2.8.6 to the Asset Store. Now we have the first round of memory usage improvements! At a very minimum performance penalty as well! Here are the changes:

- Audio played from Resource files is now loaded only when played in the Variation, simultaneously into all Variations that reference it. When none are using it anymore, it is unloaded from memory.
    - Variations are now stopped after completion (they were showing up as playing still in the Unity V3.5.7 Profiler. Weird I know).
    - Removed auto-capitalization of Sound Groups and Variations.
    - Fixed bug where Destroying an object with a Variation childed under it would destroy the Variation.
    - Small breaking change: Changed DetectSoundFinished delegate notification. Check the documentation for new way. Even easier!
    - Removed Resource file support for Dynamic Sound Group Creators. Now that clips are loaded and unloaded automatically from Resources, it doesn't matter if you include them in the main Master Audio Sounds Groups in every scene.

21. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Hey Brian,

I'm keen to buy your plugin but I have a question regarding music playback and mixing functionality. I've looked over most of this thread and haven't seen an answer so please forgive me if it has been addressed earlier, her goes:

What I have are two different mixes of the same song, both with the exact same length and tempo but one is quite heavy and the other is more acoustic (let's say versionA and versionB). What I would like to do is create an app that lets the user listen to one of the songs and have the functionality to crossfade at any time from versionA to versionB and vice versa.

Would this be at all possible with your plugin?

Thanks!

Simon

22. jerotas

jerotas

Yes, cross-fading between songs is built-in, and you can tweak the crossfade time. Thank you for asking!

23. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Heya,

I've downloaded the free version and I can't find a way to do exactly what I want. Let me explain more clearly:

I have two versions of exactly the same song, both are 4.30 long and have a tempo of 100 bpm. verA is a heavy version while verB is a lighter acoustic version.

What I want to do is have an app where the user starts listening to verA and at any time during the song it would seamlessly crossfade to verB of the song at exactly the same place in the song.

So if the user listening to verA wanted to switch to verB at 0.45 seconds into the song, it would seamlessly transition to verB at the exact same point.

I hope i've made myself clearer, am I able to do this out of the box or would new functionality need to be created?

Cheers,

Simon

24. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah I currently can't match the time up. The clip that crossfades in from zero volume always starts at the beginning of the clip. But this sounds like it would pretty easy to add. Consider it done in the next version!

25. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Fantastic! I look forward to your update!

Another related question. Do you know how I could display real time lyrics while songs play? I was thinking it could be a similar to how movies handle subtitles with an .srt text file. Would your system be able to handle that?

Cheers,

Simon

26. jerotas

jerotas

Sorry, but I have no idea how the code would know which lyrics to display at which time...I don't think I would be able to add this unless there's some way to do that I'm not aware of.

27. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V 2.8.6 is live! Start using memory-saving Resource files!

28. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

Hi I feel reel guilty, you quickly made the 3D transform addtion to the playmaker playsound action for me a bit ago.. But I forgot to mention there's a compiler error on that code. And I noticed it made it into your latest update..
    So sorry should have mentioned this to you..

I'll try and fix it myself, doesn't look like a biggy, again sorry I didn't feedback this to you . But still loving your package;) I'll post some of the game when its done, its coming along quite nicely.

Code (csharp):
    1. sets/MasterAudio/PlaymakerCustomActions/MasterAudioPlaySound.cs(54,37): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `MasterAudio.PlaySound(string, float, float?, float, string)' has some invalid arguments
    3. Assets/MasterAudio/PlaymakerCustomActions/MasterAudioPlaySound.cs(54,37): error CS1503: Argument `#4' cannot convert `string' expression to type `float'
    5. Assets/MasterAudio/PlaymakerCustomActions/MasterAudioPlaySound.cs(56,37): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `MasterAudio.PlaySound3D(string, UnityEngine.Transform, bool, float, float?, float, string)' has some invalid arguments
    7. Assets/MasterAudio/PlaymakerCustomActions/MasterAudioPlaySound.cs(56,37): error CS1503: Argument `#2' cannot convert `float' expression to type `UnityEngine.Transform'

29. jerotas

jerotas

I don't get any compiler errors on my end, so that's very strange. Maybe my Playmaker actions package needs to be re-created? Please email or post the Play Sound custom action you have and I'll compare it to mine.

And yes, I definitely want to check out what you have going on your game!

30. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

I am such a stupid muppet , forgot to reimport the custom playmaker actions,, solved all the compiler errors....(smacks face palm)

I'll post the official gameplay walkthrough video, once its finished (waiting for one more set voice recordings)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  31. jerotas

jerotas

Good to hear that it's working muppetpuppet, although I would tone down the language :) Can't wait to see the vid!

32. TomasSala-Falconeer

TomasSala-Falconeer

sorry bout that, edited it out.. ;)

here's an older video (no audio ;)

cheers and thanks for the great work.

33. jerotas

jerotas

Looks pretty cool! Let us know when you have a version with audio and when the game is ready to blab about!

34. jerotas

jerotas

Just submitted V 2.8.7 to the Asset Store. Changes are:

- Fixed bug where playing a Resource sound file caused error when clip (for non-Resource) wasn't empty.
    - Fixed bug where playing the same Resource file again before it unloaded caused an error.
    - Removed the warning for "busy cross-fading" when playing a new song during that time and now allow it to happen.
    - Re-enabled Resource file support for Dynamic Sound Group Creator.
    - Added Bulk Variation Mode to choose between Resource file and audio clip mode when dragging clips into Master Audio.
    - Added Bulk Variation Mode to Master Audio Group as well.
    - Added Variation Mode (same as Bulk Var Mode but global there) to Dynamic Sound Group Creator.
    - Added drag area for Resource files when in Resource file mode for Variations. It will take the filename.
    - Added "Song Transition Type" for each Playlist. Choices are "new song from beginning" and "Synchronize clips". If you choose Synchronize clips, going to next or random song will start the new clip at the same position (time) the previous clip was at.

Avrigus, the feature you asked about a few posts up is in there (it's the last one). Pretty cool, I tried it!

35. im

im

in anticipation congrats on new release very cool indeed :)

36. uniphonic

uniphonic

Does Master Audio yet have the feature of being able to have sample accurate sync between two music loops played consecutively?

The documentation talks here about a relatively new way to do it:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/AudioSource.PlayScheduled.html

Basically I want to be able to have a bunch of short audio music loops and dynamically change the music by letting the gameplay and users actions dictate which loop to play next, but keeping everything in perfect beat sync (and no gaps or overlaps) between the music change.

Sorry if this has already been asked and i just didnt see it.

Thanks!
    Jacob

37. jerotas

jerotas

Are you wanting the new music (when changing music clip) to start in the same position (time) as the previous clip? That's the synchronized Playlist setting I just added if so. This does require all clips in the Playlist to be of the same time length. If that's not what you're looking for, I am not sure what you mean with the beat sync part. Please explain.

If you want no "overlaps" I assume you should just set the cross-fade time to zero in the Playlist Controller? There is never a gap when changing to next or random Playlist clips...

38. uniphonic

uniphonic

Yes, it sounds like the regular playlist controller with the crossfade time set to zero is possibly what i want, but i want to make sure this really is "SAMPLE ACCURATE". From reading many other posts on unity audio I've gotten the impression that unless special measures are taken (such as the audio scheduling link i posted above), Unity audio play will not always start playing with sample accurate timing when the play method is called. there is often a delay, which would make a gap when playing audio loops consecutively.

i haven't tested Master Audio's Playlist controller for sample acurate yet, but from hearing how other audio solutions had to implement it, i know it's not an inherent thing.

Thanks!
    Jacob

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  39. jerotas

jerotas

I haven't heard any gaps when doing it myself in Master Audio, whether synchronized Playlist or not. If I later add support for Playlists to be able to use Resource files, we may need to do some sort of scheduling, but when the clips are streaming (which is recommended) or all preloaded I hear no gaps ever and things line up perfectly to my ear. Give it a shot!

40. uniphonic

uniphonic

OK, I'll try to do some testing on it later, if I have time. Thanks.

41. jerotas

jerotas

Master Audio V2.8.7 is live! Synchronize your playlists :)

42. GrooGadgets

GrooGadgets

Wow i'm super impressed!!! Consider me a new customer! Thank you so much for that addition, I will be sure to show my results :)

Cheers,

Simon

43. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you very much.

By the way, the price for Master Audio will be going up at the end of the month. The price will never be lower than now.

44. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

Hey guys sorry if this was answered already but will master audio allow 3d sounds to play correctly on android ie no pops, stutters etc. Im making an air combat game and need missiles jets etc to fade in and out with distance and would love to not roll my own solution. By the way I'm upgrading from killer waves free to paid tonight, great tool!

45. jerotas

jerotas

I've never heard of this problem. We have one game released on Android that uses Master Audio and we never heard any pops or stutters in testing. But then I haven't coded anything specifically to address the problem you've seen or heard about. Instantiation can cause what you described, and we pool audio here, so I believe you should be good.

Good to hear about Killer Waves, do let us know how you get on with it, and let us know if you'd like any features added!

46. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

Yes i believe it was because of instantiation, sprite explosions, prefabs etc with audio attached. i had a similar problem to this:

http://orktech.blogspot.com/2013/02/unity-3d-android-sound-problem-frame.html

switching my audio to 2d was the only thing i could figure out that worked. 3d audio was not that important for that project. Anyway your pooling caught my attention and if your using 3d audio in your android project then question answered!

47. jerotas

jerotas

Thank you for the link. We did do plenty of 3d sound on Android. It's possible we had clicks or stuttering but I never heard any on my middle of the road device.

48. theboosted_1

theboosted_1

Awesome. My issue was quite obvious so I'm sure you would have noticed if you were experiencing the same. Thanks for your time.

49. pea

pea

Hi Jerotas. This is probably a question with a ridiculously simple answer. I'm trying this in JavaScript:

MasterAudio.PlaySound("SoundGroupName");

My sound group is called "SoundGroupName". It's throwing back:

BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'MasterAudio'.

Master Audio prefab and Playlist Controller prefab both exist in my scene and using EventSounds.cs works fine. Any ideas?

Muchos gracias!

50. jerotas

jerotas

No, it's not a ridiculous question. I had to look it up the first time someone asked :)
    From page 8 of this thread, go to this link and see the answer: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/252865/accessing-a-c-field-from-javascript.html