Search Unity

  1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Massive Multiplayer RPG

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by jamesman, Jan 25, 2015.

  1. jamesman

    jamesman

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2013
    Posts:
    51
    I was thinking of making a game kind of like skyrim with a huge map. You can select your species you want to be such as:
    -orc
    -human
    -Rock Golem
    -Trent
    -Dragon
    -Giant
    -Elve
    - Maybe a Pheonix

    Then you can go around leveling up by killing stuff. The more you level the more attacks you can learn and the more health you can get. There is going to be different starting places for each species. You will level up in that starting position till level 5. Thats when you would probably get the feeling of the controls and game play. Once you leave you starting point pvp will be enabled and i was thinking about item dropping if you die in pvp. This is all just an idea so far and i tried modeling a Trent and it ended up looking like a Golem. The game will be first person but there will be a third person option in idle mode. What would you think about this game? Any idea's to add onto it? Thanks for reading this.
     
    Billy4184, MrSecretMansion and John3D like this.
  2. Xoduz

    Xoduz

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2013
    Posts:
    135
    Your idea sounds very generic at the moment. I suggest you give some thought to the following:

    What is your game's "unique selling point"? What is going to make people want to play your game instead of numerous other MMORPGs based around the exact (seemingly) same thing? If you want to create one that's "the same as game X", then try instead to think "the same as game X, but different because Y and Z". Do you really want to start out by making an MMORPG? These are projects that take years to make - even with 50-500 people working on them. Most (but not all) such projects by individuals never reach the finish line. Not saying "don't do it", as it can be a very fun endeavor that can teach you many things about game development, but it's something to consider.

    Also, you might also want to do a search on the Internet for guides on writing game concept documents/game design documents, as writing one of these might help give you a better understanding of what you're making and where you're going, and will also make it easier to explain these things to others.
     
    jamesman likes this.
  3. Kiwasi

    Kiwasi

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2013
    Posts:
    16,431
    Another beginner who wants to make an MMO? Great.
     
    Billy4184 and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  4. AndrewGrayGames

    AndrewGrayGames

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2009
    Posts:
    3,823
    OP - Let us know when you hit the wall. No, I'm serious. Do you know what it takes to make an actual MMORPG? Let alone maintain it?

    Try something smaller, first. Good luck.
     
  5. Kiwasi

    Kiwasi

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2013
    Posts:
    16,431
    Like conducting a google search? Then you could see this idea and post has been done dozens of times.
     
  6. scarpelius

    scarpelius

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2007
    Posts:
    953
    Huge maps?
    I believe you have no idea what you are talking about.
    I am working on a RPG with a small map, 1000x1000 at 513 resolution.
    Only creating the terrain took me a week or more and that was because i was a newbie using the respective external tool. Unity internal terrain tool is so primitive you cannot create realistic terrains with it. At least not one with my artistic skills.
    Then it comes the real important stuff to do, adding details, trees, grass, make a believable environment.
    My game take place in a valley which have a village, a river in the middle, several caves and some ruins. It doesnt seems much, but even with assets took from external sources is a lot of work. I estimate up until now I worked between 4 to 6 months. Probably someone with more skill and who works every day could do it in much less time. But, i have to make a living besides making a game.
     
  7. DanSuperGP

    DanSuperGP

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2013
    Posts:
    383
    I think there's a 99% chance that you won't get 1% of it completed.

    Start small.
     
  8. theANMATOR2b

    theANMATOR2b

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2014
    Posts:
    7,779
    One being failure.

    Maybe instead of creating a MMORPG you can begin with making the core elements for a single player RPG. Then after that's done in a couple years you can consider multiplayer, after multiplayer maybe expand upon the story, lore and the game world. Then when all that is working and polished up real nice add in networking and all that alien technology involved in online multiplayer games.
    Before you know it or in 5+ years, which ever comes first - you will have your MMO. But best to start small.
     
  9. Whippets

    Whippets

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2013
    Posts:
    1,774
    Be prepared for a lot of walls, an unbelievable amount of time and patience, and having to drop everything to spend a month sorting some small part that you thought would take 5 minutes.

    I'm now starting year 3 of my multiplayer RPG, and even working full time, I'm only just getting the first zone servers online. To say that it's a huge undertaking is like saying "space is a bit big".

    But if you've got what it takes, and 4-5 years of hard grind; then yes, you can make a modest niche multiplayer RPG.
     
    DanSuperGP and theANMATOR2b like this.
  10. Heu

    Heu

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2012
    Posts:
    349
    Well if you start making this MMO it might end up looking like an "ONM"
     
  11. khanstruct

    khanstruct

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Posts:
    2,865
    Consider this: Make Bejeweled.

    If you can make an MMO, then Bejeweled should take you a day... maybe a week if you're leisurely about it.
    If you can't make Bejeweled, then you certainly shouldn't be entertaining the idea of an MMO.

    Actually, my best advice is to start by making a single player RPG. It's not nearly as daunting as an MMO, but still contains all those elements of game design that will teach you how to develop awesome games (player controls, UI, AI, Inventory Systems, Character Interactions, etc.)
     
    MrSecretMansion likes this.
  12. MrSecretMansion

    MrSecretMansion

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2013
    Posts:
    113
    I second khanstruct, you should make a single player rpg first, because unless you have alteast 6-15 experienced game developers and artists this is going to be close to impossible. And don't get me started on networking. Also, for the characters you should take a look at UMA avatar system on the Asset Store.
     
  13. Billy4184

    Billy4184

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2014
    Posts:
    4,532
    I wish the OP all the best, but I must say, I didn't really believe what I kept hearing about people wanting to dive straight into MMORPGs until I found a few threads like this! The fact that games like Skyrim are built on millions if not hundreds of millions of dollar budgets seems to be virtually unknown. On the other hand, the developer of Salvation Prophecy is the only one who can really have the last word on this matter - if you google it, don't forget to read about the part where he lived in a cabin by himself for a few years coding and almost went insane ;)
     
  14. ostrich160

    ostrich160

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2012
    Posts:
    679
    So what your saying, is you want to make an MMO, thats also an RPG? This sounds like the kind of thing Blizzard would be into, how about callings it Warcraft World. No, better yet, World of Warcraft!

    As for an MMO, in principal, an MMO isnt this big boogeyman a lot of people make it out to be. Dont get me wrong, its much harder than a normal game, but its doable.

    However, for a newbie. And more than a newbie, a newbie who wants a massive world with skill levelling and all that? Thats where things get complicated, very complicated.