Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Massive Clouds Atmos / Massive Clouds

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mewlist, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Harrenhall

Harrenhall

Does this work with transparent materials or have a shader graph node? Could not find anything about it in the documentation. Need it to work with water shader.

2. OneOfMany_07

OneOfMany_07

Still learning how to use this, but wanted to show thanks!!! Thank you thank you thank you!

3. Vegaplanet33

Vegaplanet33

Hi,

Would it work with HTC Vive and HDRP 7.3.1 in Unity 20193.15f1 now?

4. Harrenhall

Harrenhall

Is this still in active development? Last dev response was 5 months ago with many questions unanswered...

5. julesd

julesd

I was just about to purchase till I saw the question above. Being there is no answer I decided not to.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey, @mewlist I'm getting a problem with the URP Camera Stack and Transparent Objects. When I have another camera in the stack to render exclusively UI, Massive Clouds renders in front of all Transparent objects, making them disappear, but only in the Game View. In the Scene View, it seems to work fine. It seems that the original developer is no longer active, so help from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:
    I thought I'd add some more details. I'm using URP Version 8.2.0, and Massive Clouds Version 1.8.0. The separate overlay camera only renders the layer 'UI', so that World Space UI is always rendered on top of everything else. When I add that separate camera to the stack, Massive Clouds seems to always render on top of Transparent Objects (Specifically Crest) and get rid of all Post Processing even when it's set to render Before Rendering Transparents.

EDIT 2:
    I fixed it by adding this code to the MassiveCloudsUniversalRPScriptableRenderPass

if (camera.GetUniversalAdditionalCameraData().renderType != CameraRenderType.Base) {
    return;
    }

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2020
    max_coding13 and ElevenGame like this.
  7. max_coding13

max_coding13

Hey sorry if this has been asked, but how do you disable/enable per scene? I have a launcher scene that I don't want this enabled in, but it seems like it just is enabled project-wide without any way of disabling without completely uninstalling the asset.

Edit: if anyone else is in the same boat as me, I had to toggle it from the ForwardRendererData like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using System.Linq;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using UnityEngine.Rendering.Universal;
    7. public class ToggleClouds : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    10.     [SerializeField] ForwardRendererData rendererData;
    12.     void OnEnable()
    13.     {
    14.         ChangeValue(false);
    15.     }
    17.     void OnDisable()
    18.     {
    19.         ChangeValue(true);
    20.     }
    23.     void OnApplicationQuit()
    24.     {
    25.         ChangeValue(true);
    26.     }
    29.     private void ChangeValue(bool IsOn)
    30.     {
    31.         var cloudFeature = rendererData.rendererFeatures.OfType<MassiveCloudsUniversalRPScriptableRendererFeature>().FirstOrDefault();
    33.         if (cloudFeature == null) return;
    35.         cloudFeature.SetActive(IsOn);
    37.         rendererData.SetDirty();
    38.     }
    39. }

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    ElevenGame likes this.
  8. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi, I'm using post-process workflow for masive clouds in my project with asset bundles.
    My camera is a prefab and the massive clouds related settings are like this:
    upload_2020-12-9_11-9-15.png

All stuff works correctly in editor, but when I build my project, the shaders are always missing in the build (throwing a lot of error messages). So I tried to pack all shaders into Resources (as parellel to assetbundles) using a scriptable object:
    upload_2020-12-9_11-11-7.png

Now the errors are gone, but the clouds are looking very weird in the build:
    upload_2020-12-9_11-12-1.png

This is a cloud profile using lucid renderer with Parlin High Tiling texture, height from 900-1270.

Anyone has met similar issues or knows the proper way for massive clouds to work with assetbundles?

9. Harrenhall

Harrenhall

Does anyone know if this works with transparent materials?

10. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

@Harekelas I think the recommended way to include all massive clouds shaders in a build is to include the shader variants file in the graphics settings, like it says in the documentation. doing it via resources probably leads to the issue showing in your screenshot (probably because certain variants are still missing in your build if you do it like that).

11. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Just in case anyone might be interested I put together a slightly less dumb solution for switching render passes based on a set height to help combat the issue of clouds rendering behind water planes like crest etc..

Just need to change one thing to public in the MassiveCloudsURPRenderFeature script, add the provided script to an object in your scene, set the height where you want the switch to happen, and ofc the desired passes to switch between depending on whether the camera is above/below said set height. (Currently only tried it with URP so I can't say whether or not it works for other pipes.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XB023Gwdtzg1ftSl3Byj5BIXZxm6qTg_/view?usp=drivesdk

Attached Files:

12. Nerisma

Nerisma

Hey ! Simple question but, can you manage to "fix" the clouds ? If you have a first person or third person camera, clouds will rotate if you turn for example. I'm sure you can get around this, but can't get there

13. TiToMoskito

TiToMoskito

Does it work with URP 10.2.2 ?

14. Harrenhall

Harrenhall

Never mind, if I cant get an answer after almost month I'm not buying an asset and taking a gamble. If it doesn't support transparent material I probably wouldn't be able to get a refund either...

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not out of the box. There are a few compilation errors, which can be fixed pretty easily.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you mean by transparent materials? It mostly depends on where you put it in the render queue if you're using the scriptable render pipeline. I'm not sure how it works in the standard render pipeline.

I've reached out to the dev of this asset on Twitter and it sounds like they're going to return to it soon.

17. mewlist

mewlist

I have created a patch for the problem
    that occurs when Massive Clouds Atmos 1.0.8 is installed on Unity 2020.2 URP 10.2.2. Please install the patch if you need a quick fix.

MassiveCloudsAtmos_v108_patch_for_URP10.2.2.unitypackage

* Fixed a problem that kept causing warnings to appear in the Console.

* Camera Stacking is now supported.

In the URP environment, cameras that need to draw clouds now need a In the URP environment, the CameraTarget component is now required for cameras that need to draw clouds. You can attach it manually or set it up by pressing Fix Now in the SetupWizard.

upload_2020-12-22_3-29-15.png
    upload_2020-12-22_3-29-21.png

* Introduced an option to suppress drawing in SceneView.

upload_2020-12-22_3-29-32.png

I'm sorry it's taking so long to develop.
    HDRP will be confirmed in due course.

Attached Files:

ProtoPottyGames and Deleted User like this.
  18. mewlist

mewlist

I am working on HDRP 10.2.2.
    I will update a package on asset store when these works will be done.
    upload_2020-12-22_5-41-13.png

19. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

@mewlist Good to see that you are back, working on that asset! :)
    By the way, are there big differences between the cloud shaders of Massive Clouds and Atmos? I am still using my modified version of the former..

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hey mewlist, there are a couple of things I noticed in URP 10.2.2

1. On Line 90 of MassiveCloudsUniversalRPScriptableRenderPass.cs, there's a warning with 'cameraData.isStereoEnabled'. When I was trying to get Massive Clouds to work with URP 10.2.2 before, I couldn't find the replacement for this variable.

2. Massive Clouds no longer replaces the skybox in Reflection Probes, instead, it's just the default skybox.

I was also wondering if there were any good resources to make Massive Clouds work nicely with Crest. Mostly it seems to work well, but I can't find a good way to sync the lighting between the two without using Reflection Probes, and Massive Clouds completely overrides Crest unless you set it to render before transparent, in which case Crest renders in front of the clouds when you get high up.

21. mewlist

mewlist

Yes, new shader is included in Atmos. And it's target is more higher spec devices.

22. mewlist

mewlist

Thank you for report.
    I will fix it.

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  23. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

You're more than welcome to try my little pass switcher script I posted a few days back. (ProtoPottyGames, Dec 15, 2020) Just in case you may have missed the post. ;)
    Might save you some fiddling while you wait for and/or find a better solution for dealing with the Crest issues.

mewlist likes this.
  24. holdingjason

holdingjason

UPDATE : Ok so to fix this you have to go to project settings -> editor and turn off Caching Preprocessor. Then you have to get the shaders to recompile ie change something, delete and readd them etc while that option is OFF. Then you can set that option back on again and it works. Any changes to the shaders while Cahing Preprocessor option is ON will break them again. Hopefully this gives you something to work from and we can clean this up. Thanks.

Hi great great product. Amazing. I did come across this testing 2020.2.0F1 where the screen goes all pink when massive clouds is enabled due to what I am guessing some issue with screen space. Verified that everything looks fine toggling massive off. Then comes back when I flip it back on. Any thoughts?

UPDATE Atmos works in 2020 but not Massive Clouds. I was able to repro just importing massive clouds and running in 2020.2.0f1 does the same pink thing.

Atmos seemed fine. BTW I am a little unsure on the difference between Atmos and Massive Clouds. Do they use the same tech ie if I wanted to use Atmos to simply do what I am using MCs for would I get the same performance but have more options to add in extra effects or are these different tools completely. Thanks.

upload_2020-12-22_11-32-40.png

upload_2020-12-22_11-33-13.png

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
  25. Purumo

Purumo

Hello, mewlist!
    I'm interested in your asset. Just one question: is it possible to set wind speed and direction for clouds? Or maybe there is a recipe to do it yourself?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  26. mewlist

mewlist

Fibonaccov likes this.
  27. sasa42

sasa42

Thanks for the 2020.2 HDRP update. The package manager shows me
    Version 1.0.9 - December 29, 2020
    but if i download there is only the
    Massive Clouds Atmos - Volumetric Skybox.unitypackage from 13.10.2020.
    Tried serveral times to delete and redownload the package.

In case you don t know. Starting around 1:58:00 there are tons of nice optimisation and implementation details from RDR2.
    https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3305366.3335036

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  28. mewlist

mewlist

29. mewlist

mewlist

If not available on package manager yet, please try to click Open in Unity button on Asset Store.

Thank you for indicate RDR2 materials, I' ll watch it.

30. Exeneva

Exeneva

Downloaded latest version and am running on 2020.2, URP 10. Getting this error:
    Assets\Packages\MassiveCloudsAtmos\Script\Pipeline\UniversalRP\MassiveCloudsUniversalRPScriptableRenderPass.cs(63,113): error CS1503: Argument 4: cannot convert from 'UnityEngine.Rendering.RenderTargetIdentifier' to 'Mewlist.MassiveClouds.IFullScreenDrawable'

31. sasa42

sasa42

Thanks. It works now in package manager too. However had to remove the package several times from the
    \AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x manually.

With Open IV you can also take a look on sky dome gemetrys and all the cloud textures from RDR2 and GTA V.
    Was a great learning effect.

FYI. Also check upcoming Magic LightMap switcher.
    It allows to interpolate pre3calculated Lightprobes, Lightmaps and Reflection Probes.
    I plan to do some precalcualtions with it for the probes for several day- night - cloud coverage scenarios.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/mag...g-lightmaps-in-real-time.966461/#post-6425966

32. mewlist

mewlist

Would you please try to remove MassiveCloudsAtmos/Scripts folder and then reinstall package.

33. Exeneva

Exeneva

I removed the entire MassiveCloudsAtmos package and updated to latest version. However, I cannot find the scriptable render feature.

upload_2020-12-30_17-41-33.png

34. mewlist

mewlist

Did you install MassiveCloudsAtmos-UniversalRP-7.3.1.unitypackage in root folder of Massive Clouds Atmos folder?
    Please check and install it.

35. Exeneva

Exeneva

I did not. I assumed it was only for URP 7.3.1, not URP 10. I will give that a try.

36. Exeneva

Exeneva

Appears to work in scene view, but not in play mode.

Play mode:
    upload_2020-12-31_15-50-14.png

Scene view:
    upload_2020-12-31_15-50-33.png

37. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Hi @mewlist. Since I have to disable the Atmos Sky when using Crest, I'm trying to set up a custom script/material that can inherit the Atmos Sky information and will still work in relatively the same manner. My question is.. where would be the best place to access the Atmos Sky information in your code so that it can be applied to my custom skybox? Currently I'm getting everything through the
    "MassiveCloudsPhysicsCloud.SkyPass.SkyParameter" and it seems to be working fine, but I'm not really sure whether there is a more appropriate place (...or way) to link things up. Oh and also curious to know whether there is a way to render the clouds only within a set radius. and I'd information regarding the best practices in going about these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  38. martinreimer

martinreimer

@netpost Here is how I fixed the scroll issue. Locate the MassiveCloudsScriptableScrollSample.cs script in the Samples folder and remove the OnValidate and 'if initialized' statements. Replace the script contests with the code below. Apply the script to the camera and add the main camera to the Massive Cloud reference. This worked in Unity 2019.4

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using System.Linq;
    4. using Mewlist;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    7. public class MassiveCloudsScriptableScrollSample : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    10.     [SerializeField] private MassiveClouds massiveClouds;
    12.     [SerializeField] private float velocity = 500f;
    13.     [SerializeField] private Vector3 direction = Vector3.forward;
    14.     [Range(0f, 1f)]
    15.     [SerializeField] private List<float> densities = new List<float>();
    17.     private Vector3 currentOffset = Vector3.zero;
    18.     private List<MassiveCloudsParameter> parameters;
    19.     private bool initialized = false;
    21.     void OnEnable()
    22.     {
    23.         parameters = massiveClouds.Parameters;
    24.         densities = parameters.Select(x => x.Density).ToList();
    25.         initialized = true;
    26.     }
    28.     void Update ()
    29.     {
    30.         var v = 1000f * velocity / 60f / 60f;
    31.         currentOffset += Time.deltaTime * v * -direction.normalized;
    32.         massiveClouds.SetOffset(currentOffset);
    34.         for (int i = 0; i < parameters.Count(); i++)
    35.         {
    36.             var parameter = parameters[i];
    37.             parameter.Density = densities[i];
    38.             parameter.ScrollVelocity = Vector3.zero;
    39.             parameters[i] = parameter;
    40.         }
    41.         massiveClouds.SetParameters(parameters);
    42.     }
    43. }

ProtoPottyGames likes this.
  39. OneOfMany_07

OneOfMany_07

Hello, I'm getting an error on startup. It looks like a shader is missing.

Shader error in 'Hidden/Mewlist/HDRP/Sky/MassiveCloudsSky': failed to open source file: '../../../../Shader/Includes/PipelineDependent/PipelineDependent.hlsl' at line 13 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_USE_DITHER_MASK_FOR_ALPHABLENDED_SHADOWS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_ENABLE_DETAIL_NORMALMAP SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_LIGHT_PROBE_PROXY_VOLUME UNITY_LIGHTMAP_FULL_HDR

40. Exeneva

Exeneva

The author is either on vacation or does not want to check our issues lol

41. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

He's still active. Just usually takes a while for him to get back unfortunately..

42. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Have you already tried adding an AtmosPad prefab to the scene to see if maybe that kicks it into gear for you?

43. Exeneva

Exeneva

I'm not using AtmosPad to control anything. I use my own scripts to sync with my weather system.

Would be supremely disappointed if I need to throw AtmosPad into the scene for no reason just to get it to work in play mode.

44. ProtoPottyGames

ProtoPottyGames

Was just a suggestion to test and see if maybe you could pinpoint the issue. I mean to each their own, but I don't find it too terribly absurd being that its one of the demonstrated features of the provided system. Not saying you'd need to keep it in your scene or anything (I'm not currently using one in mine either) but I have found it fairly handy for testing on certain things when having a few oddball problems in the past. Currently I'm not having any issues with it on Unity version 2020.21f1 so at least you know it probably isn't that. Could it be maybe that Atmos and some other pass you've got going are conflicting at runtime in some way for some reason?

45. Kagami12

Kagami12

Hello,

I'm still looking for a way to set the offset within massive clouds atmos, so it's easier to use with a floating origin. This was possible in massive clouds.

I appreciate any help :)

Thanks

Leniaal likes this.
  46. Exeneva

Exeneva

Bump. I disabled all other render features and I'm still seeing Massive Clouds Atmos only in the scene view.

47. dmchaderer

dmchaderer

Hi Mewlist,

I've just installed your HDRP 10 update package and it works just fine. Thanks for that.

I have a small suggestion:
    You might want to use the #if ENABLE_XR_MODULE preprocessor directive in
    CommandBufferUtility.cs
    DynamicRenderTexture.cs
    FlippingRenderTexture.cs
    to avoid initial compilation errors with users that don’t have the XR-Package installed.

Best
    Dominik

48. Exeneva

Exeneva

Been two weeks now, still no sign of the author.

49. Leniaal

Leniaal

@mewlist Please consider this

50. Exeneva

Exeneva

Been three weeks now, still no sign of the author.