Search Unity

Question Masking and clipping textures

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by MLGoatStudios, Apr 21, 2020.

1. MLGoatStudios

MLGoatStudios

2. Olmi

Olmi

3. MLGoatStudios

MLGoatStudios

Thanks for the quick reply, but I want to apply this to a mesh, so I need a material.

4. Olmi

Olmi

Well, in that case just create a shader graph that draws a shape to the alpha channel of your texture? What are you looking for, exacty, as many shapes are very easy to create with a bit of math.

Or just use a bitmap texture.

5. MLGoatStudios

MLGoatStudios

So, I'm trying to texture my terrain and what I was thinking about is having basically multiple layers of textures (for example: sand, grass, snow, etc.) and masking according to each point of my heightmap's biome in a circular gradient (or something similar).

6. Olmi

Olmi

Well, you should have said that instead of posting some links about UI effects...When you say "terrain", you mean Unity's built-in Terrain (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CreatingEnvironments.html) or something else, like a mesh you've imported. It would help if you were a bit more precise.

7. MLGoatStudios

MLGoatStudios

Ok, so I already have my crude procedurally generated terrain, which are consisted of 'chunks' which are just meshes and mesh colliders created of a heightmap... but they are not textured yet, and as I said I've never worked with shaders and materials before :c So in this sense, yes its more like a mesh that I imported.