Search Unity

Mask a Game Object with another Game Object

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Caustics, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Caustics

Caustics

Hi All,

I've been searching around and can't seem to find a solution to this. I've got a mask effect I need to create that isn't based on depth. I want to "write on" a 3D script logo from left to right like you'd write in a letter.

I'm not a programmer so I'm hoping this can be done via a piece of geometry that's sitting there (the word) and a mask (different geometry) that can be animated on top of or off of the word geometry. Is this possible?

The link above is the effect, but it's got to reveal geometry.

Thanks in advance, Patrick.

2. Caustics

Caustics

Bump. Maybe I'm approaching this wrong? I've got an Image Sequence with Alpha. When I throw one image from the sequence on albedo it works as it should. Can I use the image sequence in some way? Can a sprite sheet have 299 frames?

3. Honestly, I have a really hard time imagining what you want to do. All I see is a text-revealing effect in the after effects with a handwriting font, but how this is related to one game object "masking" another game object in 3D is going above my head.
    I will randomly leave here my favorite text revealing effect in Unity. :)
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Migu...803/Better_text_reveals_Unity_code_inside.php

Oh, and if you really want to reveal geometry, mesh, then you need to research custom shaders. If you use latest Unity versions, you can utilize the ShaderGraph to "write" your shader (plugin together, really).
    For example you can modify this one:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2018
  4. Caustics

Caustics

Hey LurkingNinja,

Apologies, I may be speaking incorrectly about the task. Basically, I want to do this effect to geometry so I assumed "geometry, masks geometry". It's not text, it's a line art drawing extruded to 3D in the shape of a foot. I want it to start from one side of the knee, go down and around the foot and stop at the other side of the knee. A 3D outline of a knee shin and foot.

I can produce this in Maya and then export the FBX. I also have an alpha image sequence that does the same task in Maya. I map opacity and it "reveals the geometry". Wondering if it's smarter to either do this action on the geo in Unity, or can I use the image sequence on the albedo? I apply one frame and it works as expected, but unsure how to make it work as an animation over time in the albedo.

Is that clearer? Thank You for your help.