Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Martania™ "The Fall of the red planet" (Future Forward FPS)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Goregaming, Dec 1, 2013.

1. KineticIons

KineticIons

2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Man you really aren't listening. It's impossible to focus on your characters.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Kelde

Kelde

the main problem I see is that u have details EVERYWHERE. from top to bottom, small highlight and lines that shouldn't be there since they get no light directly on them. Its like speculars are everywhere because the character is standing in a room with thousands of small LED's pointed at him.

The feedback here is very good, u should let it sink in and apply it to the canvas, it WILL help u out. The main focal point is ALWAYS the face if its a character pose,creature or cockpit area of vehicles, humanbeeings will look there first by nature, its just the way it is. If there are focal points applied everywhere we get extremely tired of looking at the concept because theres too much too see, we don't have bug eyes, we have one point of vision that will scan anything we see,starting at the face,usually.

I would tone down the small details u have everywhere and keep them only on the torso and up to the head, and just "suggest" the detail on the rest of the character.

The transformers image is superdetailed, BUT, its done with control. It is conceptart at its finest using dull colors and a balanced level of detail so its interesting to look at, it has design the creates curiosity,therefore,making us want to look at the whole thing. No high contrasts, its just clean and easy to look at.

If u are not open to suggestions, and on this thread people are pointing out the same thing, u will have a very hard time to grow as an artist. Do studies, that's my best advice to u. Google real life armors or sculpts and paint them. I guarantee u, within a month u will look at art in a completely different way and teach ur brain to remember where to put detail and not.

4. Kelde

Kelde

and don't take this the wrong way, im gonna start streaming my game art soon for the Unity Community to see how I work, because I know artists is a BITCH to come by these days, they are expensive. Feel free to watch me paint, I have a very easy to follow style, starting from simple shapes,building the characters and adding all small details later when the base is set.

5. Kelde

Kelde

I also do this, just to clarify that I know more than one style. The gamestyle is suited for mobile,nice clean shapes that reads on small screens, very important if u ask me:)

$venom_by_artbyelde-d6nay5r.png

$evilkniht_by_artbyelde-d6cqinv.png

And if u find my style "boring", well u are entitle to ur opinion, I find ur artwork very noisy, but certainly not boring.

just trying to help, good luck to you guys.

6. KineticIons

KineticIons

Looking forward to seeing more of your work in the future, and hopefully having more in depth discussions about design and art etc. It was quite interesting and enlightening friend. Best wishes.

7. Goregaming

Goregaming

8. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg Updated Tatchytita concept and head painting is done

9. jmatthews

jmatthews

The first few times I went to polycount and saw the critiques and comments section I learned sooo much. one artists would show off this incredible composition I would marvel at and then other artists would come in and critique the S*** out of it.

I fully expected the original artist to get defensive and try and justify his work but with very few exceptions they tended to read carefully and take it for what it's worth. As a programmer, where the default setting tends to be to defend your code and hopefully reflect on what they said afterwards, I was floored.

As you no doubt understand that is the difference between good and great. I learned a lot about the craft that day.

10. Kelde

Kelde

When it comes to art its pretty simple: it works or it doesnt,period.

If i post images i think are fantastic, but the majority feels lacks something, i'd be wise to take that into consideration. Art is only as good as the public thinks it is, regardless of how well the artists himself defends it. Sure he had a vision when he started and he might think he nailed it when we called it finished, but the viewers will see the art with fresh eyes that u simply dont have anymore due to the fact that u spend hours upon hours on it.

The problem here is that the concept artists is defending artwork that clearly doesnt work because the majority of viewers havea hard time focusing on the concept itself. I have some good advice to give, i know a thing or 2, but its hard to get through to a artists that isnt willing to learn.

11. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

Do you have any of this in Unity yet? I'm very interested to see something in game :)

12. KineticIons

KineticIons

Are you displeased with the idea, the design or the level of simplicity that I put in this last piece? I am not quite sure. Your advice was to have larger reads, and I do (although I painted a lot of texture afterwards), I actually took that advice. There is a Chest plate, a belt with a few pouches, A thigh, knee and shin protective wear, he has boots and a helmet. You can tell whats fabric and whats not in this piece. So now you are saying that you dislike the design of the entire body suit and armor? This one didn't work out so good, but we are starting out here and are aiming for finishing instead of competing. Also with familiar eyes, friend, I hope that you notice, that I did take your advice, mixing in some different design language aesthetic. By the way, I actually think that the designs look okay as models and the modelers can easily understand the designs conveyed. Our modelers sort of put more details in their models than I have in my concepts (which is a plus). So, In the future I will be using a different design expression, but I won't change too much of the language for this project. I think you dislike it now because you are not yet truthfully seeing the positive side of them, which is fine, they aren't that great, so your points are all valid. I have seen glimpses of the end result, and according to what a few people think, it is promising. Its going to be a novice mixture of WarLand, Deadspace, and crisis. Moderately exaggerating here......it will be 10 time better :) Thanks again for your input. I have much respect for you as an individual and as an artist. Thanks for your advice, but I think I will learn what works best, not overnight, but through years of experience mileage and research. Thanks again. I am looking forward to hear what you don't like about my future concepts :)

13. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

cool concept art. what software do your team use to model those character ?

14. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

for the gameplay, I suggest create a combination of linear/story-driven style game and open-ended environment-like. Let the player go along a specific path while given 'em option within that path to explore, as this method will make the player more eager to play the game and, the theme of the game is freedom. Why not give the player an option to roam free in the environment?

15. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

PS:sorry if I talk too much. I used to be a gamefaqs reviewer back in those ol' good days...

16. Goregaming

Goregaming

Everything was modelled and textured using Zbrush.

17. Goregaming

Goregaming

The game will be linear but, there will be some degree of free roam not like grand theft auto but something similar to Dishonoured. Whereby the story is straight forward but, player has the option to roam around the map.

Don't be sorry, I love reading your thoughts and I very much appreciate Your interest.

18. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

millions of poly and verts?

19. Goregaming

Goregaming

Yes.

20. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

no, not gta-like free roaming. what I mean by 'free roam' is the type of games like crysis and such.
    Now, for the environment. You said that the game will take place in prison. Does it include outdoors/sewer-like
    environment? If it is not, please tell me what exactly the game mechanics will be, because if the game take place
    indoors the player will not have any flexibility to do things like jumping and such, because it would be awkward
    to imagine that a person is parkouring in a super-elite-maximum-protection-prison!

21. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

and dont put many image effects on gameplay.based on my survey in gamefaqs, 86% of the gamers likes a solid gameplay, not a dull game with a blurring screen. if the player is in an idle state, simply add a slight motion blur and depth of field (and a bloom).
    dont use too much god-rays.only use other image effects in a scripted events or a light-dominated room etc.
    now about the scoring system. do you use xp or not? is it level based? is it divided into chapters? do we build our arsenal rom scratch(like half-life)?

22. squared55

squared55

Very often gamers don't actually want what they say they want.

23. Goregaming

Goregaming

A lot of good points made which I totally agree with. I'm not a big fan blurs in games. Scoring system in a campaign? Hmm, might be something we have too look into. Yes, you will be able to choose your desired guns and equipment. It will be level based.

24. MasonGaming

MasonGaming

This is coming on really well! I want be the first person to buy this. Is it on greenlight yet? And if this is just a campaign game I would highly suggest you make multiplayer for it. Why? You will get more players, after the campaign is complete you can still enjoy the game and the last reason is everyone loves a good multiplayer. But, adding multiplayer would increase the price for the game. Because stuff lice hosting and server maintaining needs to be funded. So perhaps you could have some Pay too win attributes.

25. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Be careful man, the more complicated and detailed it gets the more problems you will encounter whilst making the game.

It looks like you are trying to take on triple A titles. Good luck to your 6 man company, you will really need it.

26. Goregaming

Goregaming

I do not think there is any chance of a multiplayer.

27. Goregaming

Goregaming

I completely agree and thanks Kenny.

28. Goregaming

Goregaming

$image.jpg $image.jpg $image.jpg
    Weapon Update:

Plasma Canon

29. Goregaming

Goregaming

Weapon Spotlight: SMG $image.jpg $image.jpg

30. mindlessblahs

mindlessblahs

I have to agree with a lot of posters before me. The concept art is very busy and there is no place for the eye to rest. I can see that you tried to change that in the latest character concept art, but you also used waaaay more textures so it looks even busier again. As others said: start with simple forms and build on top of that. For example: start making silhouettes. All characters should read different, and an interesting silhouette is a good starting point. All the shilhouettes for your game look pretty alike and so it's hard to distinguish between them. Here is an example: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2tdE731VMwk/TLOFfj6O0GI/AAAAAAAAAXg/H3qo81TTfBM/s1600/dog%2Bsilhouettes.jpg

Your 3D artists seems to suffer from the same mindset: there are a lot of details on the character, but the underlying anatomy is wrong to begin with. It also seems like every detail is just cut into the model, if you know what I mean. There are no layers of armor, the details are just carved in. Maybe you should look up some hard surface tutorials? The details seem kind of muddy, which is fine for natural stuff but not for something as clean as armor.

Overall I think you should put more focus on functionality and readability. As others before me, I think you should take a look at the polycount forum to get some inspiration and feedback. I'm sure you are able to make a great game, but keep the scope in mind. I hope you can combine the uniqueness of your concepts with some of the feedback you got and create something awesome. I will keep an eye on this project and wish you all the best!

31. KineticIons

KineticIons

Thanks for the concept design advice. I appreciate it

32. Goregaming

Goregaming

Small Weapon update. : The SMG model is coming on great , there have been a few problems with texturing but it seems that the problem has been resolved. We have decided to go down the Indie route instead of AAA. AAA games are very hard to execute and it would take months if not years to produce the best ever space AAA game. The gun's are low poly.
    $SMG-HalfTextured.jpg $Zbrush+render.PNG $SMGA2.jpeg $SMGA3.jpeg
    All of the models were made and textured by our modeller Sven Okicki

Test Renders for the SMG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  33. Goregaming

Goregaming

34. jzela

jzela

The weapons are looking great! Keep it up!

35. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

What I've noticed these days when I game, is how little attention I actually give to the detail when im playing. Sure I stop and admire it every now and then, but that's mainly from a technical appreciation point of view.

These models all look way too over cooked.

Have you tested any of them in game?

36. Goregaming

Goregaming

The models seem okay in-game, I see nothing wrong. Perhaps it's my biased eye. I understand the term "over cooked" I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Please elaborate? Someone else's view is always helpful.

37. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

If the game is a fast pace shooter with a lot of things going on you might want to rethink the amount of polygons in your game. The player models look quite heavy and things like the grill in http://forum.unity3d.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=90631&d=1394400714 could add a few where you could texture it in (as well as your player). Just depends on the game.

Don't hold me to this its just what I've read.

38. Goregaming

Goregaming

$20140320114745-RocketLauncher1.jpeg $20140320114753-RocketLauncher2.jpeg $20140320114801-RocketLauncher3.jpeg $20140320114812-RocketLauncher4.jpeg

"El-Diablo" meaning "The Devil" .The Semi-Rocket Launcher is known for its two modes. "Laser" And rocket launcher. Laser damage is a self regenerating laser system that has Damage of 300 Per hit. The rocket launcher mode requires rocket ammo. It has a Damage of 800 Per Bullet and if very effective when it is used for M.A.X suit attacks.

39. mathias234

mathias234

Looks good i just hope that theese models looks as good inside unity :p

40. gameseizer_00

gameseizer_00

weapons shader looks glossy-maybe replace it with a brushed metal texture and make it less reflective?