Search Unity

Question MARS reflections?

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by kartoonist435, Mar 1, 2021.

1. kartoonist435

kartoonist435

Does MARS have access to ARcore evironment HDR? or other reflections? I can't get anything to show up in my scene.

Thank you

2. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Hi there! Are you referring to AR Foundation Environment Probes? https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ion@4.1/manual/environment-probe-manager.html

You should be able to set up a scene with a MARSSession and a normal AR Foundation setup, with an AR Session, AR Session Origin, and whatever managers you need, including an AR Environment Probe Manager. Is this not working for you? Note that you can't currently simulate environment probes in the Simulation View. They will only work on device.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  3. kartoonist435

kartoonist435

If I set it up like you mentioned then I have 2 AR cameras. Is that correct? I have one under my MARS session and one is now under AR Session Origin.

I wasn't aware they worked together in that way. I was under the assumption that if you were to add in an ARsession with the existing MARS Session you would be tracking the scene and objects twice. Is this not the case?

4. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

Good point. My mistake. :)

You don't need the AR Session Origin, but you can move the components from its camera over to the MARS camera. You don't need the AR Pose Driver on the camera, but I don't think it will cause problems. I believe the AR Camera Manager is what you will need for Reflection Probes, but I'm not entirely sure.

Nope! :)

MARS uses AR Foundation to get access to AR data, and is designed to "latch on" to any existing AR Foundation setup. If there is no AR Plane Manager in the scene, for example, MARS will create one at runtime. You can see a "preview" of how MARS will set up the scene by entering Play mode with the following settings:

Project Settings > MARS > Simulation: Uncheck `Simulate In Play Mode`
    Project Settings > Module Loader > Check `Override Platform in Play Mode`
    Project Settings > Module Loader > Set `Playmode Platform Override` to Android or Iphone Player

This will set MARS up to "pretend" it's on a device when in Play mode, and you can inspect the hierarchy to see what kind of data providers are used. In this mode, using a scene with just a MARSSession, you should see an AR Session appear with a number of manager components based on scene requirements. You may see some errors in this mode, since the AR subsystems don't all work in Play mode.

Since this isn't the most straightforward task, I've made a note for us to create an example somewhere showing MARS + Reflection Probes. Hope this helps. Good luck!

zt3ff3n likes this.