Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reaven99

Reaven99

Is there more information about these errors?
    I also do not get the terrain menu for splatmapping to show up in the toolbar.
    I am using unity 5.3.

2. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Hey guys! I am looking into these errors. Looks like the new version Unity went live the very day our patch came out >_<.

Here are the issues I'm seeing:
    - There are a lot of deprecated feature warnings. Aside from being noisy, these warnings are harmless (though I'm clearing them up one by one).

- When loading a new scene in the editor there are a series of Property (<noinit>) errors. These are also (mostly) harmless. They occur because the Sky and SkyManager initialization order has changed. The very first frame of editor mode (not play mode) has invalid shader parameters (a material property ID is <noinit>).

- Capturing cubemaps results in a bright pink mipmap. This is the big one I'm tracking down right now, and it may be related to error the above. Basically the blurry mip levels of captured cubemaps render hot pink.

I have not had any trouble with mobile builds, my test scenes loaded up fine on my iPhone 6 despite the quirky errors above. If anyone sees runtime errors on mobile (or webGL or any other platform), please paste them here.

3. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop 1.12.4
    Hot-Fix for Unity 5.3

Skyshop 1.12.4 is now available to Unity 5.3 users in the Asset Store. (Developers still using earlier versions of Unity may happily ignore this update).

Skyshop 1.12.4 addresses a few problems that cropped up with the substantial engine changes in Unity 5.3. It also takes advantage of some changes to the Material Property Block API, resolving issues with Property Block memory churn and a long-standing OSX bug.

The Full Change-Log:
    - Material Property Block usage enabled in OSX (performance improvement for large dynamic scenes)
    - Material Property Blocks no longer cleared and rebuilt every frame (helps memory churn)
    - Fixed <noinit> shader property errors in editor update loop
    - Fixed miscellaneous deprecated function calls
    - Added glcore renderer support to all standard shaders
    - Added glcore renderer support to all cubemap probe shaders (fixes pink cubemap capture in OSX)

Tiny-Tree and AaronClark like this.
  4. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Hi monkeyscience, I think it might be good for you to know there is a way to register as an "RGBM encoded" cubemap in Unity. The "Lightmap format" flag "5" means I'm an "RGBM ecoded" texture or cubemap.

So if it is a "legacy cubemap" (use 6 textures) we can change it in the Inspector with "Debug Mode" only. I'm not sure if we can access this flag via script with TextureImporter api setting (I haven't try it). I know it is very hidden and undocumented.
    legacy cubemap RGBM.png

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  5. Slowin

Slowin

I have a problem here when changing scenes and both scenes have a Skyshop sky.

I'm using the skies togehter with the Unity Standard Shader and reflection probes (set to baked). The reflection probes stop working whenever I switch between the two different scenes (but they work fine on whatever scene I load up first).

Anything I can do here?

6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i feel unity 5 lightmapping is not supported ?

-im opening cube prob demo scene, change shader to mobile using the menu
    -change the directional light to baked

also BeastConfig.cs line 258 is blocking all unity 5 personal edition users from using lightmap, there is no "pro" limitation since unity 5 not sure if its related ? would be great to have an update the make lightmap works correctly

EDIT: my bad i changed the resolution from 0.5 to 10 and lightmap appeared correctly

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  7. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i have done some test on ipad mini retina this morning, i used the hangar scene but with only the ground and walls
    -mobile/bumped specular fast 10 ~ 14 fps
    -mobile/bumped difuse ibl 20 ~ 27 fps
    -mobile difuse ibl 60 fps

scene is baked, no real time lights 2,8 k tris & 60 draw calls. is this normal performance ? i swapped to unity standard shader with metal reflection it run at 38 fps

8. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Hey! That's neat. I figured there was some sort of hidden flag for this.

Glad you got it sorted out. You shouldn't even need to use Lightmapping Extended in Unity 5. LME was required in Unity 4 to get the raytracer to look at the skybox as a source of GI light and color. Unity 5 does this with Skyshop backgrounds out of the box.

I'll run some tests here and figure out what's going on. The hangar scene is not much of a mobile demo, how are "in practice" uses of the shader performing for you? Have you tried it on anything of your own?

9. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

yes the scene only had 6 planes with mobile difuse ibl shader, using unity default bumped/diffuse shader just works well on same objects

10. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a problem I've noticed even in Unity 5 scenes without Skyshop. I was able to replicate it with custom skybox cubemaps, Standard shaders, and baked probes. Changing scenes failed to change reflections or gave me grey reflections.

I was also able to fix the problem and came up with a theory :). I baked a lightmap for each scene and the reflection probes started working with scene changes. Baking a lightmap forces Unity to create one of those folders with the same name as your scene (level0.unity and /level0/ the folder). My theory is: if that folder doesn't exist, Unity doesn't know where to store the reflection probe data and it is lost between level loads.

Let me know if you find otherwise, or if you find a configuration where standard Unity works but the presence of Skyshop breaks stuff.

hopeful likes this.
  11. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

[without searching the previous 50 pages] Has box projection support been disabled for Mobile/Bumped Specular IBL Fast? I see the parallax reflections are accurate for Bumped Specular IBL, but not for the optimized mobile version.

12. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yes, it is a math optimization. If you wanted to add it back in, add these lines to the .shader file (in the same place you would find MARMO_SKY_BLEND_ON/OFF defined).

Code (csharp):
    1.        #pragma multi_compile MARMO_BOX_PROJECTION_OFF MARMO_BOX_PROJECTION_ON
    2.         #if MARMO_BOX_PROJECTION_ON  
    3.             #define MARMO_BOX_PROJECTION
    4.         #endif

buttmatrix likes this.
  13. Straafe

Straafe

Getting errors like the below with multiple of the terrain shaders, and none of the terrain shaders work. Unity 5.3.1f1 and latest skyshop.

Shader error in 'Marmoset/Terrain/Simple Terrain IBL': Too many texture interpolators would be used for ForwardBase pass (11 out of max 10) at line 20 (on )

I tried setting pragma target to 4.0 just to see if it would make the shader work (this fix wouldn't work for my platform targets though anyway) and it got rid of the error but shader still did not work.

14. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Have you tried either of the Mobile/Terrain/ shaders? They are built with the texture interpolator limits of most mobile devices (and webGL) in mind. What is your target platform?

15. XRA

XRA

hey Monkeyscience... this is maybe a bit of an odd request, I'm using Skyshop for all my environment shading, I'm in Unity 4.7, it's all beast lightmapping + directional lightmaps, no dynamic lights, all forward rendering.

In the future I may have to move to Unity 5 to ship on some platforms, I know Unity 5 has dropped beast. I have no interest in updating to use Unity 5's lighting for this project. There is also the native VR support which performs faster soon available in 5 that is also weighing in on this.

I'm wondering if in theory with a bit of work, I'd be able to get Skyshop 1.12 working in 5 with my lightmaps from Unity 4.7.

I already have a plan for how I'd export my lightmap tiling and offsets along with UV2 channels, then import that data in a new class used to set the values for the skyshop shader. I also know that I'd have to edit some of the Skyshop code and shaders as well to work with any naming differences in Unity 5.

Just looking to hear your thoughts on this, if there's any glaring issue you know of that would slow my progress if I decide to do this. Personally I don't think it is impossible to do, and it seems much less insane than changing my content to work with the new lighting.

What do you think?

16. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Besides just transfering UV2 data over to a Unity 5 mesh, you would also need shaders that sample the lightmaps in the exact way Unity 4.x did. Skyshop never touched lightmap sampling code. All of that was handled by the surface shader system and the code for it was buried deep within the built-in shader headers (always a fun ball of yarn to untangle).

If you figure out a way to rewrite the beast LM sampling code, stick it into the main MarmosetSurf function, treat it as more diffuse ambient light, and it should end up in the right place.

Now, I'm no expert on the Unity 5 baking system but I feel like all of the above seems hardly worth the effort. From what I've seen and tried, the new U5 lightmapping system is automagic! Pull in your existing levels, hit bake, and see what you get before you start reimplementing Beast :p.

17. Knil

Knil

We recently upgraded to Unity 5 along with updating to the latest version of Skyshop for our game Tabletop Simulator, and we are noticing white artifacts when using MSAA that wasn't an issue before. Is there anything we can do to mitigate this issue without using a crappy post processing AA method? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  18. tripknotix

tripknotix

Any chance you'd be willing to look at the possibility of implementing these Shadow systems for Local Cubemaps?

https://community.arm.com/groups/ar...3/dynamic-soft-shadows-based-on-local-cubemap

Seems like a unique efficient feature. And might be easier to implement into skyshop then in standard shaders.

Also they seem to have full instructions in their new guide, it looks like it was updates on thursday 3-10-2016 http://malideveloper.arm.com/documentation/developer-guides/arm-guide-unity-enhancing-mobile-games/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  19. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Do you have screenshots?

If I were to guess, you're seeing white specs and aliasing in the reflections of shiny objects. MSAA is intended more for geometric silhouettes and will not catch aliasing caused by high-frequency normal maps reflecting high-frequency skyboxes (and the problem only gets worse with HDR!).

Post effect approaches to antialiasing like FXAA can actually be better solutions for "interpolated" aliasing, stuff that lives in the middle of polygons, introduced by texturing, alpha testing, and complex shading.

That all being said, Skyshop is AA and post effect agnostic. These are all Unity rendering features you can test and tune for your specific project.

20. kimsama

kimsama

Skyshop 1.12.4 on Unity 5.3.3f1, there is still <noinit> shader property errors in editor.

By the way, I only got the error when I built a scene has Sky and SkyManager for its scene hierarchy to assetbundle.

Best,

-Kim

21. kimsama

kimsama

Another editor error related with assetbundle.

1) I made a scene which has Sky and SkyManger in its scene hierarchy to assetbunle.
    2) Load the scene (playing within editor)
    3) Select Sky object in the hierarchy then got the null reference error in the CubemapGUI.cs, line 305.

Code (csharp):
    2.         public void setReference(string path, bool mipped, bool fix) {
    3.             if(locked) return;
    4.             if( allowTexture ) {
    5.                 input = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath( path, typeof(Texture) ) as Texture;
    6.             } else {
    7.                 // it does not work with assetbundle
    8.                 cube = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath( path, typeof(Cubemap) ) as Cubemap;
    9.                 cube.filterMode = FilterMode.Trilinear;
    10.                 input = cube;
    11.             }
    Changing it with the following code may solve that problem.

Code (csharp):
    2.         public void setReference(string path, bool mipped, bool fix) {
    3.             if(locked) return;
    4.             if( allowTexture ) {
    5.                 input = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath( path, typeof(Texture) ) as Texture;
    6.             } else {
    7.                 cube = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath( path, typeof(Cubemap) ) as Cubemap;
    8.                 if (cube)
    9.                 {
    10.                     cube.filterMode = FilterMode.Trilinear;
    11.                     input = cube;
    12.                 }
    13.             }
    Best,

-Kim

22. Marco-I

Marco-I

Same error during the export to WEBGL.
    Last version of Unity. 5.3.4

23. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Also happening to me lol

24. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Anybody know if the source worldmachine files are included for this tutorial:

I'd like to try this myself but I want to make sure my splats / color map are the same type of thing as what they are using.

David

25. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

the scene is included and its an unity terrain

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... been a while since I have posted here... coming back to the marmoset family.

@monkeyscience Hey dude, I have a quick question... is there a setup for Substance Painter/Designer for Marmoset Skyshop...

27. Dave3of5

Dave3of5

Wha
    What about the world machine files ?

David

28. kimsama

kimsama

Got the following error when I built a scene as an assetbundle:

Unity 5.3.3f1 with Skyshop 1.12.4

-Kim

Ony likes this.
  29. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Interesting that you are seeing any editor errors at all during assetbundle export. It sounds like another editor call-order related hiccup. Provided the bundle still exports properly for you, I'd be inclined to leave this one alone.

I'll look into this one more thoroughly when I get a chance. Also something that won't happen in your final build (CubemapGUI.cs is a strictly Unity Editor class) but would still be nice to clean this up.

Are you seeing this error in Skyshop 1.12.4? It should have been fixed and I was unable to replicate it, building a project to WebGL on Windows, Unity 5.3.4.

Could you tell me more about your target platform when you're exporting your asset bundles? I almost suspect a platform mismatch (android build target importing an asset bundle for iOS for example). But it could also mean the shader is just too complex for the platform. Running out of register counts usually means a shader is using too many vertex interpolants. The min spec for Skyshop on mobile is GLES 2.0.

30. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I'm afraid the world machine files for this scene are lost forever. :'(. Wish I could help.
    Here's a post LarryGary made about his process though: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ma...ng-tools-released.184304/page-11#post-1344491

31. abuha

abuha

Could not create texture from Assets/Marmoset/Examples/Scene/mopedProbed/BeastSky_noimport.hdr: File could not be read

any solution to this?

32. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

It looks like something went wrong with one of the included sample files. Easiest fix is to delete the examples folder and re-extract the contents of Examples.zip.

The BeastSky_noimport.hdr file is a temporary file that Skyshop generates when baking lightmaps and light probes in Unity 4. If you are seeing this error while trying to bake, check file read/write permissions on the Assets/Marmoset/Examples/Scenes/mopedProbed/ folder. I'm guessing the file fails to write when generated and then fails to read later on.

33. ben3d

ben3d

Hi,
    I'm using Marmoset in my scene and I build for Windows and IOs (Ipad).
    So, my shaders work with (for example) Mobile/Occlusion/Bumped Specular IBL.
    My problem is that I would like to use the "Specular Sharpness" in these Mobile versions with the same render than you could have in the Computer version.
    I've already fixed the "Occlusion Strength" that had the same problem in mobile version (in the code of the shader) but I can't change the "Specular Sharpness" easyly.

Any solutions to fix this ? Thanks for help.

34. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I'm afraid not. Most mobile devices are missing a critical GL extension used to pick different mip levels when sampling cubemaps. Different levels of blurry reflections are stored in each mip level of the specular cubemaps but mobile shaders are unable to pull a specific one out.

35. tripknotix

tripknotix

thats becoming less and less true by the day =X

36. ben3d

ben3d

Thanks for the help, my scene have to work only on new Ipads and they support occlusion and sharpness.
    I activated them in the code and it works in my tests. So I think you should create other mobile shaders for the actual devices because they are computerlike now. It could be "Mobile2015" for new devices since 2015, for example.

37. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

That is good to hear! The lack of mipmap support is the biggest difference between Mobile and Desktop, and only for the lack of an ancient GL extension too. Beyond that you should see nearly identical image quality!

If you take a look at Marmoset/Documentation/Shaders.txt you'll see a full outline of all the #defines that configure the core shader. This is how all the combinations of shaders. Making your own is as simple as duplicating one that works and turning on the features you need.

What devices the shaders work on are defined by the renderers #pragmas in each shader. For example this is what Mobile/Diffuse IBL looks like:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma surface MarmosetSurf MarmosetDirect vertex:MarmosetVert exclude_path:prepass noforwardadd //approxview
    2. #pragma only_renderers d3d9 opengl glcore gles gles3 metal d3d11 d3d11_9x
    And this is desktop Diffuse IBL:
    Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma surface MarmosetSurf MarmosetDirect vertex:MarmosetVert fullforwardshadows
    2. #pragma exclude_renderers gles gles3 metal d3d11_9x flash
    You'll notice the mobile surface function has a few other optimization flags. Unity docs explain what each does better than I could.

Happy tweaking!

38. tripknotix

tripknotix

its a different situation, because the iphones 5s+ all have that extension. but androids depending on the maker in es2.0 might not have it. but all es 3.0 devices should have it. so a set of es3.0 shaders would do skyshop well, if your still interested in it. you still have superior Box Projection support, because your box projection can be rotated, unlike unitys, which is stuck and cant be rotated =( so much fail on their implementation.

39. tripknotix

tripknotix

i just realized all of the iphone 5s+ are all es3.0 anyway

40. Bonsai017

Bonsai017

I was wondering if there is any way of getting the shaders which come with skyshop to work with Unitys precomputed GI. Help greatly appreciated :)

41. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Marmoset materials are lit by, and contribute to Unity 5's global illumination. Here's a little demo scene I put together:
    skyshop GI.jpg

The blue sphere and left half (brighter half) of the boxes are using Marmoset materials, the rest are Unity 5 standard. Note that the Skyshop sky's diffuse intensity is set to 0. That is because the diffuse light from an image-based sky is an approximation for GI. When real GI is present, we want to ignore the image based stuff and just use Skyshop for specular reflections. If you leave Diffuse Intensity as 1.0, the diffuse terms add together and your objects will look twice as bright.

This is similar to the problem the Lightmapped Diffuse and Specular Multiplier sliders were addressing in Unity 4x. Unity 5's GI is a little tougher to separate from direct light though. In scenes where you mix and match lighting systems, I'd recommend using Skyshop for specular and let Unity GI + light probes do all the diffuse work.

42. Bonsai017

Bonsai017

Thank you for the answer. I will give this a shot. First testing looked halfway decent. Pretty new to Skyshop and finding the right settings for the wanted look seems to be quite tedious :)

43. ilusomu

ilusomu

I've been looking through the videos and documentation for Skyshop. Most of it dates back to Unity 4, so I'm not entirely clear on all of the advantages it has in Unity 5. The biggest ones I could identify are:
    1. Indirect light without needing to use Unity's lightmaps
    2. Surface reflections from static objects that can be received by dynamic objects. SSR isn't needed (receiving reflections from dynamic objects isn't totally necessary to me) and I don't have to settle for Unity's relatively poor quality reflection probes.
    Please correct me if I'm off base. Having said that, I'm working on a scene that has interior and exterior lighting with a day/night system. There is an office building and perimeter the player has access to at all times. Having a day/night system with Skyshop seems manageable. I just need to write up a script to manage the direction of the sun and feed Skyshop the skies it needs to interpolate between at the right times. No problem.

However, I'm not entirely clear on how Skyshop works with interiors that have toggleable static interior lights and no exterior directional lighting. What I'm thinking of is a windowless office room with several different light switches that are player controlled. I noticed all of the demos and tutorial videos deal with exteriors or interiors with significant exterior lighting. Does it work in this kind of environment? Are there any examples of games or scenes doing this?

Edit:
    I was going through some of the older posts and noticed there were problems with materials for batched static objects back in early '15. Is this still a limitation of how local skies and triggers work?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
  44. kabamit

kabamit

Hi, fresh install of SkyShop and I immediately get the following build errors on Unity5. Any idea what's going on?

45. LtCalumbo

LtCalumbo

Hello,

After watching a presentation from Campo Santo on how they used Marmoset to help create that beautiful look and feel of Firewatch I'm hoping it could be the right thing for us. However, I'm not sure how much of a performance hit we would get nor am I sure how much of a visual upgrade we'll get considering we have to bake everything in (keeping the directional light realtime shadow casting) and really keep the file sizes down for WebGL. Most of our environments are under 3mb and pretty much all of them have both indoor and outdoor areas.

I've attached a screen shot to show where we're at so far. At the moment everything is flat since at the time of making WebGL did not support the stardard shader well at all. We'll also be publishing to Android and iOS too.

Our environments are much fuller than the current screenshot with lots of objects and characters. Will marmoset help us reach a higher standard or will it be to heavy an FPS price to pay?

Thanks for reading, hope someone has some advice :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  46. CG_Echtzeitschmiede

CG_Echtzeitschmiede

Hello,

I have an HDR environment in which the camera position was too high. So now the ground plane in my scene is too high "up in the air", and I'd really like to move the environment sphere up, which I think isn't possible?

Is there a way to edit an HDR image such that the viewpoint on the edited image is moved down? It must be mathematically possible, but how to do it?

47. XRA

XRA

I'm not sure if this will be answered since I'm still using Unity 4.X.... Skyshop's Marmoset/Bumped Specular IBL shader looks different to one made in Shader Forge using the Skyshop nodes (based on the Skyshop tutorials). There are differences in how the specular is showing, the Shader Forge version has a dulled less intense specular compared to the built-in Skyshop shader. (this is with no lightmaps, just using a directional light)

Since Skyshop uses surface shaders I've been using #pragma debug to compare the fragment shader with Shader Forge's output and also just looking through the MarmosetDirect cgInc... but wondering if there are any tips on where I can focus my efforts.

48. LtCalumbo

LtCalumbo

Hi there, how well have you found skyshop for scenes with both interior and exterior parts?

Thanks

49. magique

magique

I'm looking at this as a possible addition to my project, but am very unfamiliar with the product. Here are some questions.

1. Is this only intended to work with static sky boxes?
    2. Can it work with dynamic sky solutions such as Time of Day or uSky?
    3. For completely indoor scenes, what is used for the IBL since there is no sky box?
    4. Does it work with Vertex Tools Pro? (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55649)
    5. Does it work with UBER? (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/39959)

50. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys... I finally decided to get back into Skyshop for editing of my skies... but I have an issue where I get an error about my HDR having an alpha but it is not RGBM encoded... (I created the sky in Vue) Is there a way to fix this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.