Search Unity

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripknotix

tripknotix

Ever since upgrading to unity 5 last week, my device seems to crash after about 10-15 seconds using the skyshop shaders on multiple objects, these objects are multi material, but i set them all to the same material.

It seems it works fine if i use a different shader, but it crashes when i go back to mobile diffuse vertex color shader

And i did try upgrading to the newest skyshop, same issues, i restarted unity so it all newly imported, still crashes.

Android 2.3, unity 5.2.0 b6 beta

Device is Tmobile G2 by htc

512mb of ram
    Qualcomm MSM7230 800mhz Scorpion processor
    Adreno 205 gpu

2. Ony

Ony

I'm upgrading my 4.x project to 5.x. Removed the Skyshop folder then downloaded and imported Skyshop fresh from the store. Getting these warnings in the console:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader warning in 'Marmoset/Transparent/Simple Glass/Specular IBL': floating point division by zero at Assets/Marmoset/Shader/MarmosetDirect.cginc(35) (on d3d11)
    3. Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL LIGHTMAP_ON DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF MARMO_BOX_PROJECTION_OFF MARMO_SKY_BLEND_OFF
    5. Assets/Marmoset/Skyshop/Editor/Probeshop.cs(213,56): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.PlayerSettings.useDirect3D11' is obsolete: `Use SetGraphicsAPIs/GetGraphicsAPIs instead'
    7. Assets/Marmoset/Skyshop/Editor/SkyManagerInspector.cs(89,43): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.PlayerSettings.useDirect3D11' is obsolete: `Use SetGraphicsAPIs/GetGraphicsAPIs instead'
    Anyone have info on how to fix this? I looked all over and googled it but can't seem to find any decent documentation for "SetGraphicsAPIs/GetGraphicsAPIs" and how it can replace "useDirect3D11" in the code. The shader issue I'm not sure about at all because I'm not really super at shader programming.

3. Elowan

Elowan

hi there,

wrote to the support already - but no reply for 3 weeks now.. maybe the guys are on a vacation?!

I am using skyshop since 1.06 or so, but the latest version is giving me some trouble:
    In older version there were controls for tiling each layer (detail textures)
    - seems, they are gone in 1.12.1
    I am using the same terrain shader as always: Marmoset/Terrain/Terrain Specular IBL
    I am missing the controls for tiling - pls see image for reference to old version...
    How do I set tiling for detail textures now?
    Am I supposed to do it in Unity terrain inspector/textures?
    Seems the only way to me...

Cheers

skyshop1121.PNG

4. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

I tried this but there seems to be a problem as it wipes out what is set in the Unity Skybox :( by setting it to None.

N

5. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I am looking into several reports with Unity's 5.2 beta release. However since it is a beta release involving large changes to their engine, instability is to be expected. I will likely release a Skyshop patch once a public release of 5.2 is out.

6. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

The deprecated use of useDirect3D11 is largely for the sake of Unity 4. I am looking into it now and may be able to get rid of this D3D11 check entirely in Unity 5. In U4 it was used as a check for cubemap render target support. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping all U5 editor platforms support cubemap RT now.

Feel free to change the if statement to if(true), or ignore the warning outright. It is an editor-side warning and has zero impact on your deployed code.

The divide by zero warning in the shader is very surprising. I'm unable to get it to warn me (Unity 5.1.2, OSX) and furhtermore there are no divide operands in that shader file. Maybe normalizing a zero length light vector throws it?

7. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Correct. Somewhere along the way between 1.06 and 1.12, we dropped all custom UV tiling GUI from all the shaders and integrated Unity's tiling/offset GUI parameters instead. The terrain shader now respects the size/offset variables of splat layers, just like the standard Unity terrain shader. splat_tiling.jpg

8. Ony

Ony

Ok cool, yeah I've just been ignoring the DirectX warning for now. The shader divide by zero issue suddenly stopped. Not sure what was going on there but no way to reproduce it now. Thanks for the response!

9. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Hmmmm. I've cleaned up the if/else case for clearing the skybox a little, maybe that'll fix your issue, but I was unable to replicated it myself.

Make sure you are unchecking the SkyManager checkbox in Editor mode and not at runtime through a script. At runtime, the SkyManager doesn't know what default to fall back on and will revert to a null skybox.

What's supposed to happen is the global skybox only gets null'ed out if it has a specific name or is the SkyManager's own skybox material:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if(RenderSettings.skybox == _SkyboxMaterial || RenderSettings.skybox.name == "Internal IBL Skybox") {
    2. RenderSettings.skybox = null;
    3.  }

10. Elowan

Elowan

Is there a (good) reason, you dropped this very useful function?
    With this function gone, we have to switch back´n´forth between skyshop/unity terrain all the time...

Before, it was much more comfortable - is there a way, you bring it back?

11. MrMagoo22

MrMagoo22

So we're running into issues with the Marmoset shaders again. We're working to create our Android tablet version of the application but so far we've needed to remove a good number of assets using the marmoset shaders to get the tablet version to build and install correctly. The best I've managed to get is the model (using the mobile bumped specular shader) with no clothing or hair included and even then the exported application does not display correctly, the model is covered in strange splotches and the application is incredibly laggy. If I remove the model entirely then the application runs just fine without issues, but nothing else in the project uses the shaders. Any idea what I can do here?

Here's on the PC

And here's what it looks like installed on the tablet

12. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

We did it to be as compatible as possible with Unity's built-in terrain system and allow for terrain assets authored for baseline Unity to work with Skyshop without hassle.

If you wanted to modify the shaders and add an extra scale+bias to the UVs, modify these lines in Marmoset/Shader/Terrain/MarmosetTerrain.cginc:
    Code (csharp):
    2. //at the top add:
    3. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset0;
    4. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset1;
    5. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset2;
    6. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset3;
    7. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset4;
    8. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset5;
    9. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset6;
    10. uniform vec4 myScaleOffset7;
    12. //in the surf function add:
    13. float2 uv_Splat0 = TRANSFORM_TEX(IN.texcoord.xy, _Splat0);
    14. float2 uv_Splat1 = TRANSFORM_TEX(IN.texcoord.xy, _Splat1);
    15. float2 uv_Splat2 = TRANSFORM_TEX(IN.texcoord.xy, _Splat2);
    16. float2 uv_Splat3 = TRANSFORM_TEX(IN.texcoord.xy, _Splat3);
    18. //Add something like this:
    19. #ifdef MARMO_FIRST_PASS
    20. uv_Splat0 = myScaleOffset0.xy * uv_Splat0 + myScaleOffset0.zw;
    21. uv_Splat1 = myScaleOffset1.xy * uv_Splat1 + myScaleOffset1.zw;
    22. uv_Splat2 = myScaleOffset2.xy * uv_Splat2 + myScaleOffset2.zw;
    23. uv_Splat3 = myScaleOffset3.xy * uv_Splat3 + myScaleOffset3.zw;
    24. #else
    25. uv_Splat0 = myScaleOffset4.xy * uv_Splat0 + myScaleOffset4.zw;
    26. uv_Splat1 = myScaleOffset5.xy * uv_Splat1 + myScaleOffset5.zw;
    27. uv_Splat2 = myScaleOffset6.xy * uv_Splat2 + myScaleOffset6.zw;
    28. uv_Splat3 = myScaleOffset7.xy * uv_Splat3 + myScaleOffset7.zw;
    29. #endif
    Lastly add hook some Float or Range properties up to your scale and offset uniforms in "Marmoset Terrain Specular.shader" and "Marmoset Terrain Diffuse.shader":
    Code (csharp):
    1. Properites {
    2.     ...
    3. myScaleOffset0 ("Splat 0 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    4. myScaleOffset1 ("Splat 1 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    5. myScaleOffset2 ("Splat 2 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    6. myScaleOffset3 ("Splat 3 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    7. myScaleOffset4 ("Splat 4 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    8. myScaleOffset5 ("Splat 5 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    9. myScaleOffset6 ("Splat 6 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    10. myScaleOffset7 ("Splat 7 tiling(xy) offset(zw)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    11.    ...
    12. }

13. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I will look into this, thanks for the report.

Could you tell me what version of Unity you are using and what rendering path (forward, deferred, or deferred legacy)? Also, does this happen with any other models?

Any other details you could share would be helpful. Lights and light types in the scene, do they cast shadows, etc.

14. Werebear

Werebear

Been trying to use the skyshop cubemaps on unity's sky shader. I'm getting a warning saying the cubemap has alpha but is not RGBM encoded, and the sky doesn't really function.

Am I missing something?

PixelRouterVR likes this.
  15. Slowin

Slowin

I'm trying to use this asset in Unity 5.1.0f3, but whenever I import the hdr file to “Input Panorama”, Skyshop crashes.

Any idea what could cause this problem? I'm running on Win10 64bit.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  16. tripknotix

tripknotix

Shaders are still crashing my device in unity 5 =( , have to use regular shaders which seem to perform slightly better in 5.2, in 5.1 skyshop was better but still crashed

17. NorthernVisionStudio

NorthernVisionStudio

Hi MonkeyScience,

I am using 5.2.0f3 on a mac and found unrecoverable errors when generating from Skyshop probes. I've had these errors in my own code:

• Setting dimension of already created render texture is not supported!
    • Setting mipmap generation of already created render texture is not supported!
    • Render texture must be a cubemap
    • Error assigning 2D texture to cubemap texture property: Dimensions must match
    To reproduce, simply open the CubeProbeDemo example scene and regenerate all sky probes.
    The cause is that 'temporary render buffers' for cube maps don't seem to be supported anymore. I had to pre-initialize them to get around it. Please let me know any new info. This is a blocking issue for my project.

Thanks a lot,

Geo

18. yamyoda

yamyoda

Dear Members,
    i'm asking you for help.
    My problem is strange artifacts on display skin shaders - I use default Marmoset Skin Detail IBL , the scene was taken from the examples . The problem occurs only in a bulid version for the Mac , the PC version does not have this problem. Any sugestion what is causing it?
    Unity 4

Regards
    Yoda

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  19. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop's cubemaps are not intended for use with Unity's built-in shaders. Skyshop has it's own sky shader that the SkyManager object sets up for you when you enable "Show Skybox".

That being said, I'll bet there is some hidden texture flag I'm not setting that tells Unity "yes, this cubemap has alpha, and yes, please decode it." If such a flag exists however, it is very undocumented :-/.

The encodings might also not be compatible which is maybe why Unity added this quirky little check to begin with.

20. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Thanks for the report, I will try and replicate it (just got my shiny new copy of windows 10 installed!)

It may be that you are running out of memory in which case you should try a smaller input image. Typically a 4k x 2k image is the recommended upper limit.

21. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Thanks for the report, I will be taking a closer look at Unity 5.2 compatibility.

22. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I was unable to reproduce your artifacts on OSX using Unity 4.6.7f1 but have a few questions.
    1) What render target are you using? (forward or deferred?)
    2) Does the problem go away when you disable post effects?
    3) Does the problem affect non-animated meshes?
    4) Is the color of the artifact the color of your camera background? Set the background to red and see if artifacts turn red.

It looks like you have some sort of depth fighting on the model and are seeing through your model to the background color. I do now know how to replicate the bug though.

23. Elowan

Elowan

hi,

when creating detail textures for the marmoset-terrain-shader, I saw there is a "specular map ?" inside the alpha channel...
    Is this the exact specular map, I would create in a PBR-specular workflow or is it the "old world" specular map, like used in non-PBR workflows?

Is black=shiny and white= matte?

kind regards

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  24. Elowan

Elowan

...and can Marmoset Terrain work with more than one splat map?

25. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

The tiling diffuse alpha channel contains a specular mask, not roughness map. White means full specular intensity, black means no specular contribution.

Matte vs. shiny is controlled by the sharpness sliders:
    - Master Specular Sharpness
    - Sharpness 0
    - Sharpness 1
    - Sharpness 2
    - Sharpness 3

No, just the one across the entire terrain.

26. PixelRouterVR

PixelRouterVR

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to integrate my skyshop based lighting with the new Unity 5 Lighting, so I want to keep the Unity RenderSettings.skybox in sync wit the current skyshop sky. My first thought is to create "Skybox/Cubemap" Materials corresponding to my skyshop sky and then assign these in sync with skyshop sky switches. I'm getting this "not RGBM encoded" error and there are not being recognized as HDR, so they appear all washed out. Is there a better way to approach this? Is there a way to fix these cubemaps for Unity's needs?

27. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

The short answer to your question is no, currently there is no way to set a Skyshop generated cubemap to register as an "RGBM encoded" cubemap for Unity to use.

I may be missing some critical reason users attempt this but I don't think you need to use the Unity Skybox/Cubemap material at all. Let Skyshop set the Skybox material and Skyshop-RGBM cubemap, Unity's light and reflection probes will draw HDR illumination from it without a problem.

Here is a screencap of a configuration mixing Unity 5 materials and Skyshop skies in glorious harmony:
    SkyMaterialU5.jpg

Note that the scene has both a Skyshop sky and a reflection probe, Unity's Standard materials require Unity reflection probes for environment reflections.

The skybox in this scene is is a Skyshop Skybox material asset that has been auto-generated and assigned by the Sky Manager ("Show Skybox" checkbox is all you'll need for this). The Unity reflection probe will then capture an HDR image of everything, including the Skyshop-rendered skybox, and use it for lighting all standard-shaded objects in the scene.

This process may need to be repeated with Unity's light probes for diffuse environment lighting, or some other diffuse GI computation/baking method. Unity keeps that data separate from reflection probes but the underlying principle is the same: Skyshop will render bright, HDR skies and Unity's GI probe system will capture those skies properly.

PixelRouterVR likes this.
  28. PixelRouterVR

PixelRouterVR

Whoa, this is a better answer than I was expecting."Glorious Harmony". I love it!

So what you are saying is that Skyshop is already integrated into Unity 5's lighting.

Is there still any use for the Skyshop probe features or have they been replaced by the Unity probes?

29. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop probes need to be used for Skyshop materials. Unity probes need to be used for Unity materials. But the Skyshop skybox is picked up by both types of probes.

30. PixelRouterVR

PixelRouterVR

Hi Monkeyscience. Thanks for that last answer. I'm still seeing some strange behavior here. Maybe you can take a look?

31. PixelRouterVR

PixelRouterVR

Shedding some more light on the issue.

32. tripknotix

tripknotix

PixelRouterVR i had that same issue, the problem was i was using a pre made skybox, instead i had to find the original image, and plug that into skybox's converter and that create a compatible skybox for the reflections on either shader, so that everything wasnt orange and purple for me.

33. PixelRouterVR

PixelRouterVR

Hey thanks for this! Where can I find this converter you speak of?

According to monkeyscience's previous post, we shouldn't need to do this, because we are supposed to be able to let Skyshop assign it's special shader to the Unity Skybox, and this shader is supposed always to be updated with the current skyshop sky. However, I still want to figure out how to make Unity compatible versions of my skyboxes.

34. tripknotix

tripknotix

Even the Unity Standard Shader could not display the skybox without being orange and purple, so its an issue beyond that, the converter is in "Window" -> "Skyshop" and that will let u plug in the original image and generate a brand new skybox for use.

35. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Thanks for taking the time to make these youtubes, this is super useful debugging info. It looks like you found two big bugs here. I'll take a crack at explaining what you're seeing, sorted by video and playback time:

Video 1:
    0:42 - The standard shader does not change reflections when the skybox material is changed
    This looks like a Unity bug. In editor mode everything works as expected but at runtime, if the skybox material is changed in the Lighting tab, standard shaders are not told about it and keep their old reflection data around. Maybe there's some refresh function I need to call, I'll look into it.

With this in mind, some of the later weirdness starts making more sense:

1:18 - Deferred mode Skyshop materials reflect two different skies at once
    This is a Skyshop + deferred rendering bug, probably caused by how my surface shaders are set up. Unity is adding their own probe reflections to everything in the scene, including Skyshop materials. Usually this means two reflections of the same sky added together (twice as bright) but you're seeing the two disparate skies combined, clearly illustrating what's wrong. Good find!

1:37 - Reflection probes fix the issue at 0:42
    This is good. Auto-updating probes tell standard shaders to refresh when the skybox changes and all works as expected. Note that you're still seeing the 1:18 bug of doubled-up reflections, one is the Unity-probed reflection, the other the forest sky.

2:05 - Turn reflection probe off, back to peach
    This is also expected. Because Unity still has not refreshed the standard shaders with our new skybox, Unity's answer to non-probed reflection is still the peach sky from the beginning of the video. The Skyshop material on the right is also appearing peachy because of the doubled-up reflection bug from 1:18 added to a mostly black, starry night.

Video 2:
    1:05 - Where did this rooftop come from?
    This is more of Unity not knowing the skybox material has changed, showing you some long forgotten cubemap it has bound to the standard shader. It's possible to even have this happen across scenes if Unity does not clean up between scene loads properly. One scene sets the standard shader skybox to a rooftop, the next scene loads but doesn't change it, rooftop still shows up.

1:50 - Skyshop shader is showing a mix of both
    Yup :(. This has nothing to do with blending and everything to do with the deferred, double reflection bug.

2:18 - Disable "Show Skybox", standard shader turns black
    This is the weirdest one. It looks like the standard shader did refresh, sort of, and decided not to use any skybox at all (blackness). I'll investigate this one further.

36. tripknotix

tripknotix

2:18 disable "show skybox" has existed for a long time, i never understood why it would do that if i never had it enabled to begin with, i wish there was a static variable to say when and if skyshop's skybox was used, instead of just blanking out anything in that spot even if its not related to skyshop. even if it requires an extra bool to say "ignore skyshops skybox bool" or something =P

37. ksam2

ksam2

Hi, does it works with Uber shaders?

38. LUPShow

LUPShow

Hi,
    i am using skyshop at work and so far it i'm very happy with it.
    now i ran into a problem: i am trying to tween color values of a material during runtime. it works, but the change is not visible until stopping playmode.

is there a way of tweening color values or fade from one color to another in runtime?

thanks for your help!

39. mozi_ru

mozi_ru

Hi monkeyscience,

I get the following messages in the output log of the build.
    Unity 5.2.3f1, Windows D11
    Any ideas on how to fix those shaders?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  40. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

I see there's a new version 1.12.3 - release notes would be cool :)

41. giraffe1

giraffe1

With Skyshop being on sale. Can anyone comment on the question below.

Hormic, Tiny-Tree, Steel-Grin and 2 others like this.
  42. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

FWIW you may find better performance on mobile with Skyshop's shaders, mainly because they have been around for longer. Unity's standard shader does not appear to be as optimised yet, especially on mobile.

That having been said, Skyshop's workflow takes a bit longer whereas Unity's is built in.

HTH

N

reese01 likes this.
  43. Codemonger

Codemonger

Is Candela SSRR V2 supported ? The documentation has a line you can enable. Is this still functional ?

Thanks in advance!

44. tripknotix

tripknotix

Codemonger they just released the official Unity SSRR on the asset store for free today.

45. Recon03

Recon03

yes, but the issue is support can be slow, then at times he will reply to posts then disappear again... as you can see. So I used to use Skyshop a ton, but when I had issues that I couldn't sort out, I ended up ditching Skyshop and use something else or make my own.. I still use Skyshop and when it works, it does work great... and when Monkey is a around, he does give good support... So take it as you will.. But we finally got an update recently...

reese01 likes this.
  46. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Skyshop 1.12.3 is now available for Unity 5 users! It is full of goodies and bug fixes for users of Unity 5.1 and up.

Here is the full change log:

Fixes:

- Unity 5.2 probe capture no longer crashes.

- SpeedTree shaders for Unity 5.1+ work again.

- Hair shader anisotropy works again.

- Deferred & Deferred (Legacy) trees no longer cut holes into things.

- Removed Direct3D 11 checks, its features are now guaranteed by Unity 5.

- Removed non Render-to-Cubemap option, render targets are guaranteed in Unity 5.

- Terrain shaders now use the base color map in add passes also (affects terrains with more than 4 layers).

- Fixed a foggy probe capture issue on PC/Desktops.

- Skyshop Edit Selected button no longer causes null skybox errors.

Known Issues:
    - Unity 5.2 Deferred render mode adds Unity reflections to all materials, Marmoset-shaded or not.

- Skyshop's runtime changes to the skybox (sky swapping, blending, etc) don't affect standard materials unless a Unity sky probe exists in the scene.

The last bullet in the known issues causes standard shaders to turn black when "Show Skybox" is disabled. There is little I can do about it, unfortunately. You'll need to have an active Unity reflection probe in the scene or the engine won't update the standard shader system.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  47. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Yep. There is a #define you can set to make the shaders Candela SSRR compatible. Here's what I wrote in the shader docs:
    I did also confirm that the SSR image effect Unity put out as beta this week (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51515) works with Marmoset shaders. Looks pretty neat!

48. tripknotix

tripknotix

does , Change it to #define MARMO_LIVENDA_MODE 1, need to be set in order to work with unitys image effect

49. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

is last version supposed to be working with unity 5.3 ? i tested 1.12.3 and there is tons of error when switching to mobile build

50. Slowin

Slowin

Same here, I use Skyshop 1.12.3 with Unity 5.3 (windows standalone build) and now I receive these errors:

Property (<noninit>) already exists. Use SetTexture instead.
    UnityEngine.Material:SetTexture(Int32, Texture)
    mset.Sky:ApplyToMaterial(Material, ShaderIDs) (at Assets/Marmoset/Skyshop/Script/Sky.cs:266)
    mset.Sky:Apply(Material, Int32) (at Assets/Marmoset/Skyshop/Script/Sky.cs:226)
    mset.SkyManager:EditorUpdate(Boolean) (at Assets/Marmoset/Skyshop/Script/SkyManager.cs:394)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.