Search Unity

Marmoset Skyshop - Image-Based Lighting Tools [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by monkeyscience, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Sorry, requires Unity 4.2.2 for ... reasons.

2. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Hey, sorry I never replied to this first time around, Devang!

There is a Skin Shader Demo as well as a comprehensive Skin Tutorial, but we haven't packaged up the scene itself into an example project. It's on my ever-growing todo-list.

3. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a very strange issue and I'm wondering if it was introduced in Unity 4.3.4 (installing now). Glad there is a work-around while I'm looking into it.

Edit: The best work-around is:
    1) Delete all .PNG files from the Marmoset/Examples/Panorama folder
    2) Right-click on the Panorama folder in Unity and select "Reimport"

This will delete and regenerate all RGBM .PNG images from the .HDR images and create new, 4.3.4-compliant .meta files for them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  4. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

I think I may have found a solution to this problem. Working on a hot-fix update for you guys, stay tuned.

5. JVaughan

JVaughan

Running into the washout problem as we speak. Hotfix will be very nice indeed.

6. tripknotix

tripknotix

If it helps to know, im getting the 64 keyword limit, and this occured when using only the mobile/specular fast ibl, and mobile/specular bumped fast ibl. i may have used a mobile/diffuse ibl, not sure.

but this could be the cause of the characters looking black or bright white , on the device, and not in editor, cuz it seems the editor doesnt have the 64 keyword limit. i ignored it but i guess that makes sense as to why the shaders dont work on mobile correctly.

7. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

Many Thanks for your reply

8. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Picked up Skyshop during the recent sale . . . Having a lot of fun, despite also running into the "not-responding" thinking wheel lock a few times in working through setting things things up.

$box_test.jpg

Popped in an old model to test things out . . . looking forward to working on more projects with Skyshop in the future!

Thanks for the awesome product monkeyscience!

9. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

$hotfix1062.png

Skyshop 1.06.2 hot-fix is now available

Several of the recent show-stopping bugs have been squashed. The only big remaining issue is OSX Unity refusing to load simple terrain shaders for mobile platforms.

Change Log
    • Compute results no longer washed out (Input panoramas no longer auto-converted to linear space)
    • RGBM importer now runs a clean-up pass, setting all imported RGBM .PNG files to
      • Compressed
      • Max size 4096
      • Not linear (does not bypass sRGB sampling)
      • No non-power-of-2 scaling
    • Skyshop texture slots perform similar check on inputs and suggest formatting changes to be made.
    • Added translucency back to Marmoset Skin IBL
    • Fixed bad meta files in Examples.zip

10. rstorm000

rstorm000

Hi, I was interested in getting skyshop, but I was wondering how it is with environments that contain both exterior and interior sections as well as connections between the two (windows you can see outside or inside from). We also have to deal with rooms varying levels of darkness, light, etc. What would the work flow be like with such an environment?

11. erana79

erana79

@monkeyscience It's supercool that you're so active in supporting this product! Thanks for that!

I was wondering if it would be a big deal (and possible) to implement sliders for boosting Specular and Gloss directly on the shader (not only for the whole sky-object)?

I'm working on OSX, but do my maps on a Windows machine with dDo. The previewer in dDo looks awesome and it would be great to have a little bit more control over Gloss and Specular (individually) in Unity to make small adjustments.

Let's say i need a little more Gloss on an object... i can go to Photoshop and brighten up the alpha, go back to Unity and see if it works. That takes time.
    It'd be really cool to have a slider directly on my material in Unity to do that.

Maybe I'm the only one asking for this, but for me it sounds like a nice thing to have :)

12. tripknotix

tripknotix

This is also true on the PC, in unity select [Edit] -> [Graphics Emulation] -> [OpenGL ES 2.0], and you will see this error in the picture on the pc version, not just OSX. Knowing how to reproduce this on pc should help you debug the error in your shader.

$simpleTerrainSkyshop.jpg

Thanks love skyshop! Using it all over my mobile game, including the beta skin shader (option in my game).

13. JoeW97

JoeW97

Yup, just thinking exactly the same thing :)
    Would be great to have Diffuse Power (Exponent) too.

14. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

You are in luck my friend! The material already has a "Specular Intensity" multiplier and a "Specular Sharpness" slider.

"Specular Intensity" can scale the amount of total specular reflection up or down (even past 1.0 if your highlights are too dim).
    "Specular Sharpness" can limit maximum glossiness (how polished shiny a surface is), basically setting what white pixels in the gloss channel map to.

15. erana79

erana79

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply!

Since you said "limit the maximum glossiness" - can I increase/boost glossiness too based on the gloss map?
    e.g. if i have a pattern on the gloss map (in the alpha of the specular map) and i want more gloss based on that pattern, can i shift the map (the alpha of the gloss) towards white (like, mid-gray pixels become white and dark-gray pixel become mid-gray in the pattern)?

16. wsz

wsz

I'm trying to import the Package, but its really slow, around 1hour or more to import. Do you know why?
    I tried in 4 pcs. Same slow.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  17. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

There are multiple ways to go about it, I wish I had a tutorial to point you to.

Basically you can bake ambient occlusion into a map or to the vertices of your indoor geometry, and have that occlude the outdoor-only sky. Areas near windows would have less occlusion and get more of the outdoor IBL coming in.

You could also lightmap your interior entirely in Beast using the HDR sky to illuminate the baking process. Skyshop comes with advanced lightmapping utilities for exactly this. Lightmapping would get you very nice results, much better than occlusion, but .. lightmaps = static.

With Unity Pro you can also render cubemaps from within your scene, process them in Skyshop, and use them locally. This setup would have one global out-door sky, and several locally "probed" skies with scripts or physics triggers that bind them to game objects within a certain area.

18. Cleroth

Cleroth

Greetings. I've recently purchased Skyshop for Unity and I've been 'converting' my game to use its shaders. One important part of my game's style is a small black outline around models. I don't much experience in ShaderLab but after some googling and trial and error, I was able to get what I wanted. Unfortunately I'm now unable to implement the same outline inside of a Marmoset shader. They seem more complex than the average shader and I wouldn't know how to 'merge' both.
    Do you have any tips on achieving a simple outline with a Marmoset shader, or be able to help me create one?

Here's the current outline shader I have, if it can help: http://pastebin.com/RyTG2vKc

19. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Why not use Unity's Edge Detect image effects? http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/script-EdgeDetectEffectNormals.html

20. rstorm000

rstorm000

Yeah I would definitely be interested in a tutorial. Also handling things like turning lights on and off in specific rooms.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Bought (who could not with developer support this good) :)

22. Cleroth

Cleroth

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been fiddling with that one for the past hour now, and I can't really get the effect I want, long with a few other problems:
    • It's aliased and can only be anti-aliased with a post-FX AA, which doesn't work well in combination with MSAA
    • It's not as precise as my other shader, so it's hard to get a good thin outline. This is the best I've managed to achieve:
      $rEsCuFN.png
    • Can't control the colour/alpha of the outline, making it harder to achieve desired effect as well
    • The effect applies to everything. While not directly a problem, I'm sure there'll be things on which I don't want an outline.

In comparison, this is the desired effect, which I is achieved through my other shader (using three-point lighting, 4xMSAA, no post-FX AA, 80% opacity outline):
    $9phJ0jn.png

Unfortunately for me, this effect is very important toward getting the desire style for the game, and if I had to choose between that and Skybox, I would probably choose the better outline. Having both would be perfect though.

23. devandart

devandart

Bought the Skyshop Asset on sale.
    This is awesome, thank you! Really nice lighting with little effort...

I only can say "WOW"! :)

24. Sepica

Sepica

Thanks for the Hotfix, it has resolved the issues we were having :).

Something cool that I would love to see is a parallax shader, if you have time for something like this I think a lot of people would appreciate it!
    Sadly it's one of the few things still lacking in combination with these awesome shaders.

Once more thanks for the hotfix and really good support. Looking forward to future updates!

25. kilik128

kilik128

i have shader result black on android galaxy s3

26. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Please send (lots of) details to support at marmoset.co, include what shaders you're using, and any shader or console errors you are seeing. We'll get it taken care of :).

27. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Monkeyscience,

I know this has been asked to death, but is there a way to get transparency mapped objects to cast shadows? I am looking at this line in the cutout shader.

Code (csharp):
    1. #pragma surface MarmosetSurf MarmosetDirect alphatest:_Cutoff fullforwardshadows
    I mainly need it to cast shadow because I have hair transparency mapping hand painted and it looks way better than the cutout... can you help a brother out? :D

28. kaz2057

kaz2057

Thanks for the update

At this point I have a little doubt:

The Panorama PNG to insert in Skyshop editor to create rgbm cubemap, would be set to NPOT right?
    It is not important if it is NOT a Non Power of 2?

Thanks

29. Antigono

Antigono

Hello how are you?
    A noob question or maybe already has been answered.

I'm trying to create a panorama from my field, select "Probe at selected", but the picture created is all in black. im using RTP' shaders in the terrain, is this the problem?

If you use a picture as input image, the image is strictly necessary to be shown as our skybox scene?

Sorry for my english and thanks!

30. rstorm000

rstorm000

With this are you thinking there would be a trigger for every room that would "snap" a different skybox to that object/player or would there be a way to blend between the two when entering or exiting a room.

31. tripknotix

tripknotix

theres no blend yet, they have to rewrite a part of it to do something else, before it can do that. so its a multi-step process that im sure we'll see progress over time.

32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Been giving it a spin, its faster than I thought. Needs *some* speedups in a busy scene but not everything needs to use a marmoset shader. Be nice if precision is gently adjusted and some more performance squeezed out ;)

What are the plans for moving it more towards real world game scenarios and further away from beauty shots?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  33. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've been meaning to say that for ages aha, it's super for beauty shots but i havent seen an actual videogame scenario. Oh well got it anyways on the cheap, i'll do something nice with it soon (That might actually be in some way relevant to a videogame, much unlike what i've seen this thing make look admittedly very pretty thus far)

34. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

To quote my very favorite Persian pirate testimonial: "Skyshop can be used for game if your mind allow!" Here are two nice examples of games currently in development using it:

Scale -
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1188957169/scale

Festival of Magic -
    http://www.fomgame.com

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  35. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Lovely! But will you gently massage and press for performance over time? :) Pretty please.

36. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

Always ;-)

37. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I apologize if this has been covered, is there a detail shader available? Diffuse/bump/spec/detail
    The detail would have a diffuse and bump slot as well as the tiling values. It's super useful in organic objects or plastic with fine details.
    I'm using some 1:1 3dscans and would love to tile a detail bump across it. I'm currently using detail shaders from " chickens shader bundle" that allow this.
    Thanks, loving skyshop!

38. kaz2057

kaz2057

UP for this basic info :)

39. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

The wording Unity's inspector gui uses is very confusing. Let me see if I can clarify:

The Input Panorama slot can handle textures with POT (power of 2) and NPOT (non-power of 2) dimensions. If you have an NPOT texture, you need to make sure Unity is not rescaling it to force it to be POT. This is a common optimization for in-game assets but Skyshop does not need it for computation.

Skyshop should now inform you if an input textures is set to rescale, and offers you a way to fix it. Otherwise:
    - Select your texture and look at it in the Inspector tab
    - Set "Texture Type" to "Advanced"
    - Set "Non Power of 2" to "None"

This option would make more sense labeled as "Non Power of 2 Scaling", and you want to set it to "none".

40. Antigono

Antigono

change the question. can I do a panorama with a Unity Terrain selecting "Probe at selected" . If this terrain have RTP Shadders skyshop will work?
    or at least, Where can I find more information / guides / tutorials?
    I already bought SkyShop , but I dont want my project to have a skybox / static picture, so maybe it is not useful in this particular project

41. lazygunn

lazygunn

They look lovely mr monkeyhead although not quite how i'd implement myself. How i WOULD implement myself i suppose ill find out when i try my 'pimp all the assets i own on one magical demo scene - i'm really looking forwards to this, gosh it will be pretty

42. monkeyscience

monkeyscience

This is a shortcoming of how "Probe at Selected" works currently. It uses replacement shaders and tries to overwrite all shaders with Marmoset equivalents.

Good news though! I was working on this just the other night and it is fixed in the next Skyshop release :D. Everything is rendered to an HDR render-target and converted to an RGBM cube in a second pass. Replacement shaders (along with the image effects problems they cause) are no longer used.

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey Monkeyscience, is there a chance that Skyshop will be set to work in DX11?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great product :), I'm very happy with it.

I wouldn't mind a parallax specular in the pipeline o' shaders though.

45. OneShotGG

OneShotGG

Hi, just purchased your product and I am having a few issues.

First off I am using linear lighting and deferred rendering.

1. When I imported an .hdr file with HDR checked it was completely white. It worked without hdr checked but not as well as your included hdr examples. Is there something wrong with my hdr image or did I mess something up on import?

2. I followed your terrain tutorial and attempted to convert my trees to Skyshop and they get really washed out. How can I fix this?

46. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hang on, it DOESNT work in dx11? Erm.. that's not good..

47. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I'd like to know that too, considering it but not without that support

48. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well.. i don't work for profit, my general modus operandi is getting things looking as good as possible and taking advantage of new and future technology for all aspects of computing, so absolutely everything I do is in dx11. I didn't even consider this wouldn't work in dx11! It's going to have to lie a little dormant while I use alternatives if this is lacking, which is a real disappointent, i was looking forwards to this

49. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Better wait for an answer first, i find it unlikely any high end asset wouldn't work with DX11, i mean in most case the DX9 => DX11 transition is just making sure you fix anything that was made illegal in DX11 (like not initializing outputs in shaders). It's a trivial fix usually.

50. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well, quite, i'm not damning it and I shan't, most likely, be doing anything directly using skyshop shaders for a week or two so, there might be support, and if there isn't i'd imagine it would be a priority. Atm i'm mostly benefitting from it's cubemaps with other products so i'm good for now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.