Search Unity

marcos - Void Pirate - WIP Contest Entry

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by marcos, Mar 23, 2012.

1. marcos

marcos

I guess I'll join in! Gives me a bit of motivation to add something new to my portfolio!

Here's where I'm at so far, haven't touched arms and hands yet:

2. thellama

thellama

Solid start!

Good proportions on her.

3. PolyMad

PolyMad

That's arousing for sure ahah :D

4. virror

virror

Well, i would prefer someone that's not headless : p
    But very good looking model so far.

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

She is.... naked!, the model looks nice(in a non creapy way ;))

6. skylebones

skylebones

Oh man that looks excellent!

7. Mixamo

Mixamo

Beautiful work thus far, shame you'll have to cut off one of the limbs!

8. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Woah also very clean. great proportions! keep it up

9. marcos

marcos

Woah! Thanks everyone for the comments!!

Cheers! Trying to keep her slender, will probably do some tweaking.

haha, I hope that means I'm on the right track then!

I added a head just for you! Thanks!

She'll get her clothes soon!

Thanks man! This should be a fun little competition!

Thank you! She's going to lose her left arm I think! Which keeps giving me Hot Tub Time Machine flashbacks..

Hoping I can! Thanks :D

Here is where I'm at now:

Did a full retopo, added the head and hands. Toes were excluded as the character will have shoes eventually

I'll be doing another pass of the body with this new topology to get it how I want, and then get started on the clothing. I'm going to hold off on doing the face until a bit later, as I tend to get lost in the details there..

Conceptually I've got an idea that I think might be cool.. stay tuned ;)

10. menico

menico

Hi ! Real nice work there, you know what you're doing obviously !

I got a little question about that, I have hard take making cloths for my characters, I can't doing another way then "morphing" his body into cloths ... Not really the good way I assume.
    How would you make cloths for you char ? Will you use maya ncloths or something? I read a few tuto about that and find the results to be a little bad ... If any one has a good tutorial about making cloths with maya, I would love it .. :)

Can't wait to see how you will finish her :)

11. nipoco

nipoco

Nice model, but her arms are too long.

12. marcos

marcos

For this character I'm basically going to be detaching polygons of the body as clones and box modelling the clothing out. This works well for tight fitting stuff. Alternatively you could snap/conform (or whatever the equivalent is depending on the package) to the surface of the body where necessary to make looser fitting stuff like shirts or skirts etc.

Also it depends on what the final product will be, I'm probably steering clear of cloth simulations for this character.

Hope this helped, let me know if you have any more questions!

That's a quick fix, I'll be sure to tweak it in the first pass. Thanks for the feedback, I was thinking the same!

Fixed the 6 edged vertex on the torso, didn't even notice it until just now..

13. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Man I really need to study how to make those nice necklines, shoulders , armpits - Looks amazing.

Can you briefly mention you tooset/s used for modelling? I noticed some of the other guys entering are zbrush gurus and Ive seen some zbrush articles in 3d magazines , Would be great to own such nice sculpting tools. but I guess its been good to learn to box model and read up on topology and all.

14. marcos

marcos

I also use ZBrush, then do all of my retopology work in Max. Learning to box model is important though, definitely keep at it. Having a good understanding of loops and topology is essential.

I started work on the face of my character, whom we shall call Medea:

Still a lot to do, much of the face is untouched still, I just wanted to convey that the project is still alive :)

15. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

well hi there Medea! feminine yet aggressive.. nice. my model looks like a mall rat wanna be pirate in comparison haha.

16. marcos

marcos

Thanks, man!

Had an inspired couple of hours so I did a bit of a push:

You might be able to see the sort of direction I'm heading in now, which is going to combine the old school pirate with the futuristic, science-fiction one.

I think I will change the pants to be more sci-fi. These ones were just a little test.

17. NomadKing

NomadKing

I kind of like the pants, maybe you could sci-fi up the boots more to give a better contrast between the 2 styles your merging, or perhaps add a sci-fi belt :)

18. marcos

marcos

Good idea, Thanks!

19. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

looking great .. umm somehow her shirt seems to miss her boobs , hey im not complaining ;) perhaps its a tactical means of distracting the attention of her opponents before she kicks their ass and loots the place haha

20. Farfarer

Farfarer

I think you could push the hips to be a little wider - at least as wide as the shoulders if not more. Generally wide shoulders and narrow hips = male, where wide hips and narrower shoulders = female. At the moment the body's a little masculine in that sense.

I'd also make a bigger deal of the hip bones - she doesn't appear to have any and on someone that skinny, they'll tend to show through.

21. janpec

janpec

I like it very much, i am really looking forward to see how you are going to deal with hair, since i couldnt find way to decently use Zbrush fibers for hair texture (normal map). Just an advice, dont use too tiny hairs, otherwise your normal map will be useless, becouse there will be too many artifacts, and jagged edges even if you use 2k map for head. Also you should use antialiasing with normal map baking and extract normal map at 4k to prevent as much as possible jagged edges.

22. Mixamo

Mixamo

This is really coming along keep going!

23. marcos

marcos

Thanks! I'm sure it would be a good tactic, given that Vanguard seem to be entirely male! I added a shirt now though :p

Cheers! To be honest, this is the first time I've really attempted an entire high-detail character, so a lot of it I'm working out as I go, in the hope that all the mistakes I make this time around will serve as a learning experience for the next time. As for the hair, I think I'm going to resort to textured planes and alpha maps. Thanks for the tips on baking, I'll be sure to refer to your post when I get up to that point!

Thanks! I've just got to keep plugging away, I hope you like where it goes!

Thanks for the crit!

I'm yet to sculpt the hip bones in, but I did some tweaking of proportions, made her hips a bit bigger and her upper body a little bit narrower, I was a bit cautious as I didn't want to overdo it, so maybe it could be accentuated further:

(Open in new tab for larger image)

Added a swashbuckler shirt, as mentioned. I'm going to add a few more elements and then conceptualise a cybernetic arm of some kind.

24. virror

virror

That looks very good! I dont think there is any need to change more on the shoulders/hips. Only think i noticed is that the space between her legs is a bit wide? : p

25. NomadKing

NomadKing

Loving the look of new boots - sci-fi but still elegant, can't wait to see how the arm goes! Really dig the hexagonal kneepads too (the new boot detail makes them stand out more).

I can't help but get a bit of a Firefly vibe from the concept as a whole - which is definitely a plus :)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  26. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Picking up good speed here, really nice. I like the overall look, looking forward to more details :)

27. marcos

marcos

Thanks! I kind of wanted to accentuate the thigh gap on this character. I may tweak it later if it looks a bit funny!

Thank you sir! I prefer the new boots too :). I hadn't heard of Firefly so I Googled it, I can see the similarities too! Might have to give it a watch sometime :p

Thank you kindly, slowly getting there! My creativity fluctuates a bit, some days I will have lots of ideas about character elements and stuff,
    yet other days I'll have a creative block!

Here's the base for the arm:

Next up is adding something to the waist, the retopo of the final few bits, making her weapon and finalising the face. Then onto UVing, detailing and texturing! Home stretch!

28. NomadKing

NomadKing

It's a good start, but I'd be careful about making it too exposed (comes across a little Deus Ex like). Maybe it should be 'coated' or plated in parts to match the boots? It's always hard to tell these things until you see the model together as a whole.

Definitely worth a watch, then watch Serenity - the movie that concludes yet another cancelled-before-its-time-american-sci-fi show! :)

29. marcos

marcos

Thanks, I may have been a little bit inspired by some of the Deus Ex art when I was making that arm :p, well that, Terminator and I, Robot. Some other influences in there too I think but they escape me at the moment.

Here's the latest progress, almost done with the retopo, just got to add the belt loops and properly remove the arm instead of just hiding the faces:

After those few things are done it's the home stretch.

Anyone know if we are allowed to use separate texture maps for different parts? For example, a map for the face.

30. NomadKing

NomadKing

Nothing wrong with good inspiration ;)

Now that the arm is on the model it doesn't stand out in style as much as it did on its own - I especially like the exposed way the shoulder joins to the body. The collar is also very cool :)

From the submission rules:
    I think that means they're looking for everything on 1 texture

31. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

I would think an individual map with maximum dimensions of 2048x2048 for each type of permitted shading listed

I would think this is just for at submission time.. not for use in your render.

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Have you thought of giving her a horribly deformed stump inside of the robot arm? that would shake things up a bit :D

Looks good so far :p i think the 2k texture is for each map other wise it wouldn't say 2048x2048 Textures

33. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

one diffuse map 2048x2048
    one specular map 2048x2048 (alpha in Unity)
    one Normal map 2048x2048
    etc

but NOT 512x512 head texture, 512x512 Armor, 512x512 body, 512x512 weapon.

34. Farfarer

Farfarer

Sounds to me like 2048x2048 total texture space per texture type.

So you could have 4x 1024s or 16x 512s for each diffuse/normal/spec/gloss/etc.

35. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

but same material and same atlas. if you ask me.

36. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I think its better to play it safe and go with a single 2048 for each map, as they may want to have it as simple as possible and having 512 8x8 textures would annoy them :p

37. janpec

janpec

Huh i think there is almost zero chance that they complicated it like that:D Besides that who uses 4 1k maps for character?:p

38. Origin

Origin

39. Mixamo

Mixamo

Try not to think too much about this folks. We're pretty forgiving. :)

"2048x2048 Textures MAX" The key word is 'Textures'. Each texture should be no bigger than 2048x2048. And ideally one texture for diffuse, spec, normal etc.

If you have good reason to do something else go ahead but let us know why.

P.S. this is looking stellar!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  40. NomadKing

NomadKing

Surely you mean interstellar ;)

41. marcos

marcos

NomadKing, tictox, titanty, Schlumpfsack, Farfarer, janpec, Origin, Mixamo3DAnimation: Thanks for the input regarding the texture thing!

Cheers! Glad to hear it sits well!

Thanks again :~)

Oh, you.

Here's the latest, all that's left is UVing, texture polishing, baking, rigging, posing, rendering! Going to be an interesting day tomorrow!

P.S Oh, and hair!

42. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

excellent stuff , good luck for tomorrow been inclusive!

43. 3dviewpoint

3dviewpoint

Me like that cyborg arm! Great result for overall model. I hope you will get it all done it time mate. Good luck

44. Mixamo

Mixamo

Great news, the Contest has been extended based on contestants requesting more time. We've agreed to end the contest by one week. Hopefully this extra time will give you time to complete this amazing piece.

The new END DATE is MAY 4th @ 11:59PM PST

If you have already submitted feel free to refine the entry and resubmit! Otherwise, we'll see you at the end of the contest!

45. marcos

marcos

Best news!

Here are the boots with first pass diffuse and normal applied:

Only a few days left! I've got to pick up the pace!

46. marcos

marcos

Little bit more done:

Everything is at varied levels of completion, at the very least you can see the direction I'm going with for the face here, though the lashes and brows are obviously untextured ;)

47. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

last day today .. hope you get it finished ;)

48. marcos

marcos

That's the thing about deadlines, you always find something you can improve on, but not enough time to do it!

My entry:

And now, to sleep.

Good luck everyone!

49. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Nice work! I love the clothes particularly. (I know how you feel, I was up all night finishing my entry - 1hr of sleep in 36. Joy!)

50. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks great marcos, the hair and the pose really set it off. Great work :)