Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Maps] Wizards Unite map style remake using GoMap for Unity3D

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by AlanGrant, Jun 26, 2019.

1. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi Guys,

I'm posting this here because of the lack of a maps specific Unity forum section, it is intended as an open discussion and not a promotional post about my asset GoMap.

Also, this is not a post to encourage in any way to clone the Niantic new game Wizards Unite, and I'm not going to do it myself. I'm just interest in 3D maps as maybe many of you are.

Maybe some of you, just like myself, are interested in map styles and location based gaming, so I'm going to share with you my thoughts about Wizards Unite map experience. (Not the whole game experience, just the map)

I downloaded the game two days ago and the first thing I've noticed is that Niantic didn't push the map experience so far from the one in Pokemon GO. Basically the same look and feel with textures changed and some (very) small procedural generation edits.
    In fact I managed to remake the map style using my asset GoMap in about one day of work, and it took this much only because I'm a complete noob in fact of textures and shaders.

Here's some pictures:
    (Original) probably using Google Maps and OSM api.

(Remake) using mapbox API and GoMap SDK

The most challenging part was to add outline to the building meshes, and that's the only part you won't find in the current commercial version of GoMap. Also it's basically the only one change from the Pokemon GO map! Anyway it wasn't that hard to add a submesh to the building mesh with the outline shape.

Then it was just a work of textures and lighting.

I've made textures (from scratch) using this online tool for:
    • Ground
    • Grass
    • Buildings top
    • Buildings outline
    • Roads
    • Roads outline
    • Water
    • sky
    I also made a simple projector to add the windrose under the character and the little compass in the top right corner of the screen.

I think the only part I haven't remake finely it's the skybox/fog system. The texture I've made is terrible and the sky is a cylinder with an "inside visible" shader to add the clouds. I toggled the fog values for an hour without arriving to nothing close to the Niantic version. If some of you have better ideas let me know =)

Here's a video of this map style in the city of San Francisco.

Thanks to anybody who read this long post,
    Alan

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019