Search Unity

Maps In Unity 3D - Share your experience

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlanGrant, Mar 7, 2018.

1. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Hi Alan,

Hello, I want to know how to show all types of POI in 3D rendering. I notice that I can choose the type of POI to 3D render. but if choose all kinds of them, there are lots of work to do.

Cheers
    Link

2. jrblackmon89

jrblackmon89

Hello Alan, I cant seem to find the animatecharacter.cs script and when I try to copy the script on the tutorial page it won't work.
    I'm trying to get my avatar animated.

3. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi, that bug will be fixed in the upcoming release of GoDirections. Please replace this method inside GOToAddressDemo.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public void DirectionsToAddress(GOLocation location)
    2.         {
    3.             inputField.text = location.addressString;
    4.             addressMenu.SetActive(false);
    5.             if (inputField.text.Length > 0 && gameObject.activeSelf) {
    6.                 switch (goDirections.directionsApi) {
    7.                     case GODirectionsAPI.Mapbox:
    8.                         StartCoroutine(goDirections.RequestDirectionsFromUserLocation(location.coordinates, null, travelMode));
    9.                         break;
    10.                     case GODirectionsAPI.Google:
    11.                         StartCoroutine(goDirections.RequestDirectionsFromUserLocationToAddress(goDirections.goMap.locationManager.currentLocation, location.addressString, travelMode));
    12.                         break;
    13.                 }
    14.             }
    15.         }
    You'll have to make a Key here: https://cloud.maptiler.com.
    Create your account then go to "Accounts" (settings icon) / keys / new key

I Hope that helps!

4. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

I've answered to you via email, but in short: There's no settings to show up all the poi kinds without adding a specific customization to each one of them. Do you think it could be a nice feature to add to GoMap?
    I always had the idea that showing too many pois kind would saturate the map area.

5. ScottPeal

ScottPeal

Hi Alan,

I want to use data from a source that is not one you have identified; however, the data is in ESRI Open Data format. Will this assets let me import that file and overlay on a map? Trying to decide to buy or not this asset.

Thanks for the help.

6. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi Scott,

If your source is open you could send me an email to see together if it is compatible with GoMap, otherwise it should be compliant to the Mapbox PBF standard.

About overlaying the map with additional info, the format should be the same. For example you can't import esri shapefiles in GoMap.

Anyway feel free to write me more details about this API on my email or through my website, I'm curious about it.

Bye!

7. Mayckon_Jhonatas

Mayckon_Jhonatas

@AlanGrant is it possible to exchange the red sphere for a prefab or for a specific gameObject (similar to a pokestop) in the "Drop features - Demo" scene?

Attached Files:

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@AlanGrant could you please add an event to the location manager for when the current speed changes? The MotionState event is nice but it kinda makes assumptions on what the developer wants. For now I added it myself but I would like to stay compatible for future updates.

9. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Thank you for your answer. I have one more question. I want to get the player's GPS coordinates in other scene. Do you have a built-in method?

I found that Unity has Input.location.Start(). But I am not sure if it is the same as yours.

10. mshmoon1025

mshmoon1025

I have elevation data in text format. And we have Tile images for each area.
    Referencing the GO Map API Documentation, I saw a section describing the available map APIs.
    I want to use GO Map as a satellite map as a text type elevation data and tile image without using the map API.(Use on Offline PC)
    It will decide whether to buy or not, depending on the possibility.

Thank you for your help.

11. Rhach

Rhach

Hello there Alan, I have this asset for quite some time but just now started working with it and I can already say that it is impressive.
    I have a question though.
    Is there a way to instantiate a button on the canvas on specific coordinates? I tried to do so and it appeared way off.
    Thanks in advance!

12. Flamacore

Flamacore

Hey :) Great work on the asset. Loving it so far. Got one question tho.

It seems like I'm missing a simple yet crucial function here. We can do Avatar movement but then we can't get the location from GPS, it seems like it has to be a pre-set one which feels like it's kinda no-brainer. We can do GPS movement but then we can't use custom buttons to move the avatar. Does your asset have a way around this? :) What I basiaclly want to do is, Get the first location from GPS, then allow for custom movement with buttons/keys.

Any help would be appreciated :)
    Thanks a lot.

13. playbarbados

playbarbados

I made a purchase of GoMap asset and currently trying to use it in one of my projects but keep getting this error on build --->
    C:\Users\************\Documents\PROJECTS\***************\app-development-backup\Temp\gradleOut\launcher\src\main\AndroidManifest.xml Error: uses-sdk:minSdkVersion 19 cannot be smaller than version 21 declared in library [:androidwrapper:]

There are no other assets in the project other than the IndoorAtlas as recommended in the documentation. (which has the 'androidwrapper' folder.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  14. playbarbados

playbarbados

Nevermind: I got it sorted out....

15. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hey, thanks!
    Location manager have a Gps and an Avatar mode. You basically just have to switch from one to the other when you decide not to follow gps anymore.
    Bye!

16. danidiazr

danidiazr

Hi there,

I sent you a support inquery in your support form from the documentation page, I'm in a rush.

I'm unable to make the plugin generate a map in the location i'm setting. I got the same map in build from the demo location in editor. I'm using the Avatar mode and I don't know if I have the settings good.

Any help?

17. yonson_chappers

yonson_chappers

does anyone know how to get support for this asset? tried email, this forum doesn't seem to do any responses either? Location is never found on the actual device / crashes on iOS on an iphone (but not in unity).

18. kkamal2

kkamal2

Hey Alan and others,

Hoping someone here could help answer a couple of questions for me about the API usage on GoMaps and GoDirections:
    1) For Gomaps, Is it using the mapbox unity sdk?
    2) For Godirections, Is it using the mapbox navigation sdk?

I'm trying to understand cost/user perspective on my app and would appreciate your support as Mapbox has varying pricing for the different api/sdks they offer

19. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

GOMaps (including GODirections I expect) supports these APIs

https://gomap-asset.com/docs/go-map-documentation/getting-started/map-apis-and-formats/

20. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

In MapGO I had a bug in the unmodified demo scenes where features were being duplicated causing performance to be pretty terrible in certain locations.

I located the source of the bug, this loop was being run twice creating n^2 instances of multi-polygon features
    @AlanGrant Remove these two lines to fix the bug :)

upload_2021-1-20_12-44-16.png

21. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

How to make a POI use a specific prefab? For example, I want to use a special prefab to replace a restaurant’s prefab

22. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

There's a specific setting in the GoMap.cs inspector that allows you to load a prefab of your choice for each of the POI categories.

Take a look at the marauders map demo scene!

Bye
    Alan

23. Rockroll

Rockroll

Hi AlanGrant,your asset is great! But I have some questions about it in our project:
    1. Does Go Map support the Navigation Data Standard(NDS) map format? The NDS website:https://nds-association.org/
    2. If not support the map data format, there are any way I can custmize the supported map format in your asset editor?
    Thanks!

24. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,

GoMap does not support the NDS standard format yet and honestly I haven’t had much experience with it so I think an integration won’t happen anytime soon.
    If the map standard is well documented and maps are pusblished in json or pbf format it shouldn’t be too difficult to develop an integration if you already know the standard specifications.

bye
    Alan

25. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

There is a problem, I want to place fishing spots in all rivers or waters. There are several random fishing spots for each river or water. How can I make it?

26. redwoodabyss

redwoodabyss

When using Go map layers in both Unity 2020.3.5 LTS and Unity 2021 (on windows 10), I'm getting this strange overlapping issue in the inspector:
    overlap_issue_example.png
    As it stands, It's close to impossible for me to modify the rendering options for each layer element, or similar nested properties like Avoid.

27. lofwyre

lofwyre

Are there any tutorials on doing a first person camera that uses the players phone for position and rotation?

28. puppetisto

puppetisto

Hi Alan and others -
    A few weeks ago for some reason, Go map stopped wanting to update its location after we launch the scene. We get an initial read on our location and the map populates but when we move or turn around it is no longer updating. The only thing that happens is the avatar just spins randomly but the location won't update when we physically move locations. We built the test scene and it is doing the same thing (as seen in video below) Help is greatly appreciated!

We’ve updated the Mapbox API key to see if that is the culprit but it did not resolve the issue.

29. puppetisto

puppetisto

I'm getting this error from the console -

2021-05-03 15:50:46.102025-0700 KaidanAlone[665:94203] Task <75BCC517-140A-4EF9-9187-3DB53CFAB3F7>.<36> HTTP load failed, 0/0 bytes (error code: -1005 [4:-4])

2021-05-03 15:50:46.104104-0700 KaidanAlone[665:94013] Task <75BCC517-140A-4EF9-9187-3DB53CFAB3F7>.<36> finished with error [-1005] Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1005 "The network connection was lost." UserInfo={_kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=-4, NSUnderlyingError=0x280dcad90 {Error Domain=kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork Code=-1005 "(null)" UserInfo={_kCFStreamErrorCodeKey=-4, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=4}}, _NSURLErrorFailingURLSessionTaskErrorKey=LocalDataTask <75BCC517-140A-4EF9-9187-3DB53CFAB3F7>.<36>, _NSURLErrorRelatedURLSessionTaskErrorKey=(

"LocalDataTask <75BCC517-140A-4EF9-9187-3DB53CFAB3F7>.<36>"

), NSLocalizedDescription=The network connection was lost., NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=https://cdp.cloud.unity3d.com/v1/events, NSErrorFailingURLKey=https://cdp.cloud.unity3d.com/v1/events, _kCFStreamErrorDomainKey=4}

30. elic88

elic88

hi, just bought it, can't get it to work with osm, even after updating maptiler new url: https://api.maptiler.com/tiles/v3/
    please advise
    -----------------
    resolved by clearing the cache

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  31. merrythieves

merrythieves

How do you load a custom map style from Mapbox? The baked in URL just loads a default style.

32. noxxomatik

noxxomatik

33. noxxomatik

noxxomatik

Okay found the solution myself :D

Maybe for other users of Open Street Maps: this two variables have to be exchanged in GOOSMTile.cs
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var baseUrl = "https://api.maptiler.com/tiles/v3/";
    2. var extension = ".pbf";

34. HoobeeUnity

HoobeeUnity

Using openmaptiles.org

HI all, as I would like to control costs better, I am thinking of self hosting via https://openmaptiles.org.

Does it work with Go Map Unity? Any experiences you might share?

Thanks!

Railon23 likes this.
  35. sansiroma

sansiroma

After importing version 3.7.0, I got below 2 errors:

Error while saving Prefab: 'Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Demo/Prefabs/SearchBar.prefab'. You are trying to save a Prefab with a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject 'SearchBar'.

Error while saving Prefab: 'Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/GOShared/GOAlert/Resources/GOAlert/AlertCanvas.prefab'. You are trying to save a Prefab with a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject 'AlertCanvas'.

Should I ignore them?
    -----------------------------------------------
    additional comments:

I was playing with Demo Map - POI, after input the map box key, and click Run.
    Got below error
    Curl error 61: Unrecognized content encoding type. libcurl understands identity content encodings.
    ----
    [GOUrlRequest] Tile data missing Unrecognized content-encoding
    https://api.mapbox.com:443/v4/mapbo...22543.vector.pbf?access_token=my_mapbox_token
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    GoShared.GOUrlRequest/<getRequest>d__2:MoveNext () (at Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/GOShared/Networking/GOUrlRequest.cs:54)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator,intptr)

My Unity Version is 2021.1.13f1

Does anybody know how to fix it?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Finally, I found a workaround to bypass this issue and now the Go Map is working properly.
    I have to downgrade my unity to version 2020.3.8f1, then this issue is gone.
    But it's not a real solution.

Just wonder anybody ever faced this issue before? I think this should be a common issue for all who is using a higher version of Unity than 2020.3.8f1

Thanks,
    Ma

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  36. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hello,

I've been looking into the "Curl error 61" issue and:
    • It's a problem about gzip encoded responses.
    • It only happens randomly using mapbox, or other gzipped sources.
    • It is a Unity Editor bug that happens only in some of the latest releases and will be probably fixed asap.
    • It is not an issue I can solve in the GoMap asset.. but still I'll keep figuring out if there's a workaround.
    I leave you some of the sources:

Mapbox SDK open issue
    Unity Answer open issue
    A link that I've found useful to better understand the issue

Sadly this issue, along with me being less present in this community and with GoMap users, lead to some really bad reviews.
    Problems on the unity side happened in the past and will happen again, I'm here to fix what I can fix or improve on the GoMap side and I kindly ask you to review the asset and my work always considering that.

If you guys are happy using GoMap and still haven't left a review this is the right time!
    Thanks
    Alan

shyamarama likes this.
  37. im

im

Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Fibonaccov likes this.
  38. im

im

As a work around try Unity 2021.1.2f1. Older releases of Unity 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 before Unity broke things may also work.

In the meantime Author should also make available to customers last release of Go Map that worked with Unity 2017 which does not appear to be affected.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  39. fawaikuangtu1

fawaikuangtu1

hi,I have a problem,is Curl error 61:Unrecognized content encoding type. libcurl understands identity content encodings,when i use mapbox token,unity version is 2021.1.15f1c1,what can i do?or i should use which version of unity?sorry,i am newer

40. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hello everyone,
    Unity is planning to fix this issue in all versions and the official place to keep track of this issue is at this link:

Unity Curl error 61 Issue State
    Please use the versions suggested in this page, thanks!

Bye
    Alan

41. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Hey devs!
    Has anyone else experienced this issue on Android devices where the map rendering is garbled? It acts exactly like a z-depth clipping issue, but none of those planes share the same z position.

This is using the default materials and shaders that are used in the Go Map demos.
    This only happens on device which makes it hard to track down the issue.
    This happens on both the Built-In Render Pipeline as well as URP.
    I have NOT seen it happen on iOS.
    Unity 2021.1.2
    Android platform.

Attached Files:

42. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,
    This happens when the camera near clipping plane is too close to the camera, try to increase it and the z-fighting should not happen.
    The general rule is to keep the near clipping plane distant enough to render the closest objects to the camera.
    Bye!

43. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Thanks for the info. I will give that a try!

44. gisinator

gisinator

Hi Alan, thanks for your great plugin. I am facing issues with road-outlines: I'm using two cameras in my scene and all the GoMap stuff is rendered by camera2 that only renders a new layer "GoMap". Now, I went through all the editor-settings and picked this "GoMap" layer wherever your components gave me an option, but the road-outlines are only visible in scene-view, not in game-view. When I check the actual gameobjects, roads are indeed in layer "GoMap", but their features (in this case, the outline), are "default" layer. Where can I change that features like road-outlines also are rendered in a custom layer? Thanks :)

45. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,

In the GOFeatureMeshBuilder.cs at line 72-73 there's a
    Code (CSharp):
    1. outline.layer = line.layer;
    2. outline.tag = line.tag;
    That should apply the desired layer and tag to the road outline too

46. BushraAshraf28

BushraAshraf28

Hi @AlanGrant, So I have been using this asset for a game I'm working on. It's working great but what happens is, when I keep going in a particular direction, the map ends and shows white space around the edges. I don't know how to prevent that from happening. But if I go back and reload the scene, it refreshes and the map shows but then again after a certain point, their is white space. Can you please help me find a solution.Thanks

Attached Files:

47. ArkEvankyrie

ArkEvankyrie

Hi @AlanGrant, I have been following the tutorial, but I have seen that in some parts of tutorial 3, there are images are missing and some scripts instead have this symbol "&" or this symbol ">" has its version of HTML which is &amp; and &gt;

NOTE: It would also be good if you include the complete code in GitHub or into the text code of tutorial 3 because sometimes I get lost a bit in especially Spanish speaker u.u

Greetings, I bought your plugin and so far everything is great, thanks.

48. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,
    The full GOPlaces.cs code is already included in GoMap.

49. mhussar

mhussar

Hi, I've reviewed the docs and the unity asset store info but I can't seem to get an answer to my question: Does anyone know if this plugin can be used to simply place interactive game objects at certain real world locations and allow people to interact with them. For example imagine a hiking trail where certain screens will pop up at various locations on the trail and will allow the user to interact with the screen to get more content by pushing buttons or submit data , e.g. a survey etc. I haven't seen any tutorial or use case that indicates this is possible. Everything looks like there is some kind of cartoony/cg map superimposed on the real world. Thanks

50. IRobb

IRobb

Hello @AlanGrant
    I want to implement the preload tile cache in your asset. I have read the documentation (https://gomap-asset.com/docs/go-map-documentation/cache/preload-map-tiles-in-the-cache-folder/) but it says one thing that I can't understand.
    In the third point it says:
    "copy them into your project resources folder.GoMap cache folder is situated in the “persistentDataPath/GoCache” folder of your unity editor"
    And at fourth point it says:
    "copy these files into the build cache folder that is Application.persistentdatapath/GoChache."

Obviously is GoCache but, this is not the same path, source to target?
    Maybe you are talking about copying to StreamingAssets and then to persistentdatapath?

Great asset.
    Thanks!