Search Unity

Maps In Unity 3D - Share your experience

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlanGrant, Mar 7, 2018.

1. flyingaudio

flyingaudio

Is GoMap compatible with 2018.3?

2. dishmop

dishmop

Hi,
    How can I use OSM to generate maps? It says I need an API key and directs me to a website where I can apparently get it - but when I go there there doesn't seem to be any way to get such a key:
    https://openmaptiles.com/hosting/

3. TidyDev

TidyDev

Has anyone else experienced issues when using the standard shader with rendering mode set to fade? When the map loads, anything with that material does not render, I would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks in advance :)

4. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

I use 2018.2 and I think 2018.3 it's ok too!

Just make a new account and go to the OSM vector tileset "https://cloud.maptiler.com/tiles/v3/" to get your own api key.

I answered via email to that, but I have no great suggestion about why the standard shader with transparency won't work.. Any ideas?

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, small thing I noticed after deleting the Demo folder: GOMap has a dependency on GOEnvironment from the Demo folder, this feels wrong dependency-wise.

Edit:
    I noticed that you are using WWW namespace which is known to have many issues and has been deprecated. It would be great if you could replace it by UnityWebRequest.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2019
  6. anakein

anakein

hello, i am thinking to buy your script for 1 proyect, but i have some questions.
    there is event for near of point?
    can i load places with external database? ( not google or same, only mysql data retrieve)
    work good with bolt?

thanks.

7. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

@Dark_Swordsman I'm gonna replace it soon, don't worry!

@anakein Hi! With GoMap you can use classic Unity Colliders for proximity events, that's really great because they have really great performances instead of adding scripts and updates to compute proximity with objects.
    There's not a built in support for mysql databases, but there are events that you can use to spawn data from your database, adding your logic and queries.
    I've never tried using bolt, so really I don't know..

Bye
    Alan!

8. sskenth

sskenth

Hi

I've recently purchased your map asset, its great. however I am having one issue. I want the map to automatically rotate based on the phones rotation. So it seems like this has already been implemented "Rotate with heading" option on the GoOrbit script. Unfortunately, theres no documentation on it and I get quite a buggy movement with the option on.

Is there any chance you could tell me how to fix this? I have another camera in the scene, so I've modified the GoOrbit code to find the avatar cam rather than "Main Cam" using a simple GetComponent<Camera>(), everything else is identical.

I can't seem to get it to work on the demo scenes either, has anyone had success or come across this same issue?

Please see a video of the issue below.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

-Sat

9. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

IS the right flag to enable.

Sadly the compass on android devices have known problems in Unity 3D... I can't use other plugins in the base GoMap asset code but you can use them in your project.
    There are many assets that offer a nice and stable gyroscope/compass for android.

Bye
    Alan

10. sskenth

sskenth

Ah great, thanks for the information Alan. Appreciate the reply.

11. manu3lkc

manu3lkc

I applied this code to control the gyro and its now able to detect the gyrocontroller movement of the devices (both android and iphone) . Just attach it to your Avatar prefab. Disclaimer: I didn't write this, i saw it in a video by N3K en in a youtube tutorial.
    . it stops the jittery behaviour of the compass when you click the compass and tap false to true. gyrocontrollersample.gif

Attached Files:

shyamarama, AlanGrant and sskenth like this.
  12. manu3lkc

manu3lkc

Hi there Alan,

GODirections query - turn-by-turn navigation instruction/ arrows on a line on a Navmesh

I am a beginner at programming, so I need a bit of help to set up waypoints for turn-by-turn navigation aspect of your software. I have the GOMaps and GODirections plugin, I am just having difficulty setting it all up especially trying to run the simple demo scene, so that i can learn from the example. I have the google api key (which I have no idea how this relates to it all) and IndoorAtlas and Mapbox accounts all set up. I tried going through the directions documentation but to no avail, hence me emailing you directly.

To summarize, I need turn-by-turn navigation instruction/ arrows on a line on a navmesh, like this
    indoornav goal. (it should probably be a soundfile attached to the GO/ sprites that are on this red line, saying "straight, straight,, straight, left turn ahead, left turn etc.")

Pic 1

How can I achieve this? I have two ideas on how this could work... [I would prefer to use the A* pathfinding projects' Navmesh (By Aron Grandberg) however unity's built in navmesh is also an option]

I see on the GOmap script there is this

Pic 2

Which has me thinking this could be how i can achieve it but I dont know how to link it to a Navmesh in my project. 0

The A* pathfinding project plugin draws the line on the navmesh (draw gizmos red/green line) all i would need to know how to do is instantiate waypoint arrow prefabs at intervals but I have no clue how to do this.

Pic 3/4

Your help in achieving this goal will be MUCH appreciated as its for my masters thesis, I hope you understand my desired outcome, apologies for a very confusingly written email.

Regards,
    Kayla Manuel

Attached Files:

13. sskenth

sskenth

Thanks so much for the information, I'll take a closer look and see if I can make those adjustments

14. tvle83

tvle83

I am curious where the list of Kind is obtained from when adding a Rendering Option ?

There are just some really specific and obscure items in the list and one I wanted but couldn't find that I cannot remember at the moment.

Thank you

15. gringofxs

gringofxs

Works on IOS and Android?

16. SolaKK

SolaKK

Hi guys,

A few days ago finally we managed to release an interactive JRPG like Tokyo guide app [Pocket Tokyo] with the help of Alan's asset on the App Store (Android coming soon)!

Check it out!

https://apps.apple.com/app/pocket-tokyo/id1459972085?ls=1

Actually with the Go Map asset you can do pretty amazing things especially if you want to make realistic looking big cities. Our main goal was to move away from the typical Pokemon Go looking simple, flat maps and create something a bit more realistic or "spectacular" if I can say. With a bit of tweaking and design this asset is absolutely capable of doing that and can help a lot to make the whole development faster.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuvc3DFhJNqJTW0o8ggAOFg/featured

zoo.png tower.png

Attached Files:

shyamarama, sskenth and AlanGrant like this.
  17. Holocene

Holocene

Very interested in your product, but have a question. Do you have a solution for placing POI’s at runtime without entering pre-defined GPS coordinates? For example, I’d like to instantiate an object on the game map, in an arbitrary location, and make it persist by saving gps positional data. The goal is to enable the user to leave annotations that persist / save wherever they drag and drop them.

Appreciate any info.

18. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi people,

Here's my consideration about the new Wizards Unite Niantic game, I'managed to remake the map style using GoMap with very few edits.

I downloaded the game two days ago and the first thing I've noticed is that Niantic didn't push the map experience so far from the one in Pokemon GO. Basically the same look and feel with textures changed and some (very) small procedural generation edits.
    In fact I managed to remake the map style using my asset GoMap in about one day of work, and it took this much only because I'm a complete noob in fact of textures and shaders.

Here's some pictures:
    (Original) probably using Google Maps and OSM api.

(Remake) using mapbox API and GoMap SDK

The most challenging part was to add outline to the building meshes, and that's the only part you won't find in the current commercial version of GoMap. Also it's basically the only one change from the Pokemon GO map! Anyway it wasn't that hard to add a submesh to the building mesh with the outline shape.

Then it was just a work of textures and lighting.

I've made textures (from scratch) using this online tool for:
    • Ground
    • Grass
    • Buildings top
    • Buildings outline
    • Roads
    • Roads outline
    • Water
    • sky
    I also made a simple projector to add the windrose under the character and the little compass in the top right corner of the screen.

I think the only part I haven't remake finely it's the skybox/fog system. The texture I've made is terrible and the sky is a cylinder with an "inside visible" shader to add the clouds. I toggled the fog values for an hour without arriving to nothing close to the Niantic version. If some of you have better ideas let me know =)

Here's a video of this map style in the city of San Francisco.

shyamarama likes this.
  19. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Yes!

The list was first published on the old Mapzen website, then edited by me to support Mapbox and OSM.
    There are in fact some weird feature kinds, but if you take a look at any map most of them is rendered as generic landuse.

20. _OK_

_OK_

any help on using altitude to place objects? I have a character and everything works find if no elevation however when I use elevation I don't seem able to set the character on top of geometry - is there already a way to do this or do I need to write something myself? thanks

ilmario likes this.
  21. _OK_

_OK_

its fine - I found the altitude to point method works fine with a little adaption

22. _OK_

_OK_

is there a batching method or distance culling system? particularly for buildings. At the moment there's 1000's of Draw calls when buildings are enabled which is a problem for mobile

23. Nappoleo

Nappoleo

I noticed a couple of curious things/bugs(?) in the use of features in GOMap. Since my project uses these features in the programming logic, not only for rendering in a map I'd need to know if these things are by design or something that can be fixed in future GOMap-releases.
    First out is water. I've noticed that as soon as the map displays a tile with any kind of water in it, the related features in the hierarchy are just empty (see the attached image). This has no practical effect for the map rendering since water is just, well water. Blue.
    But I'd need to be able, as far as possible, to discern water from water. Take the following position for example: 56.154513, 14.744536. The water on the right is a river, the water on the left is a lake. In addition to those two kinds, a shoreline of some kind would be very good (ie the water on the map is the sea).
    At the moment however I can't make out what kind of water is on the map due to the empty objects. Are these by design or due to a bug somewhere?
    My other issue are all of the accountants in GoMap :).
    It seems as if the attribute Poi Kind isn't updated at the moment, thus giving the everpresent result "Accountant" (as in the attached image). The practical result is that the property isn't very useful at the moment. For example in the following location 59.898217, 17.630064 one finds the feature Cemetery. However since this site arguably is Swedens most well-known archeological site I could expect a PoiKind of Archeological_site (it's not just any cemetery) instead of Accountant...
    Again this affects my project where I'd like to use this type of map-information for various decisions. Something that can be fixed?
    And btw, I submitted a question on QueryRenderedFeatures via the webform a while ago - you can ignore that. It's obsolete by now :).
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

24. Jean_light

Jean_light

Dear @AlanGrant

Due to GPS precision, the position can jump around a lot, making object jump round in the scene.
    We want to use movement smoothing to mitigate the effects of this.
    Do you have any scripts for movement smoothing, please?

25. rkei96

rkei96

hey I'm kinda getting a problem in godropfeature does anyone know what is the code for the triggering of the sphere??. like for example when i walk into that sphere using godropfeature how will it trigger into game play which is in AR. I have done that in a 3dcube using box collider, but the problem is that cube is not in a designated coordinates, thats why, i wanted to know how does the godropfeature works when hitting that red sphere and how do you make it disappear after the game play??. please help thanks.. and how did you do that items or icons in the screen when you did the wizards unite gameplay in the picture?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  26. rkei96

rkei96

That's awesome!! how do you that?. thats what i'm about to do lol. I'm stuck in the basics on how to trigger the redsphere to work.. and how do you change those things to icons or any objects like burger shop etc?..

27. artfabrik

artfabrik

Hey,
    I'm currently evaluating a few features of GO map.
    As far as I see, there isn't support currently for switching the zoom level on the fly (i.e. LOD, which is essential when using a slippy map).
    Is there support for this planned in the future?

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Alan, I like the Wizards Unity map style. Are you going to share the changes for the building outline? In the current version the building outline material slot is greyed out.

Also I am still hoping for the requests I made a few months ago (Core code dependency on demo folder, usage of deprecated www class)

29. ZAUBAR

ZAUBAR

@AlanGrant 1) Can I use the Vectors from Mapbox and what is the pricing structure for that? 2) If I want to display the vectorized, 3d map in a google maps ar navigation style circle at the bottom of the screen - what would be the best way to do that?

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Alan, in addition to my previous post I also receive this error when walking around in editor on the marauders map with Mapbox.

[Warning] [GOMAP] error catched in feature: major_rail, tunnel, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Vector3], System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) [0x00029] in <df7127ba07dc446d9f5831a0ec7b1d63>:0
    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () [0x00000] in <df7127ba07dc446d9f5831a0ec7b1d63>:0
    at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) [0x00009] in <df7127ba07dc446d9f5831a0ec7b1d63>:0
    at GOCurver.MakeBetterCurve (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] points, System.Int32 resolution, System.Boolean loop) [0x00100] in C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\Workspace\Projects\SHAR\Source\SHARGame\Assets\Plugins\GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming\Core\Map Builders\GOCurver.cs:96
    at GoMap.GOLineMesh..ctor (GoMap.GOFeature goFeature_, System.Boolean curved) [0x000b1] in C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\Workspace\Projects\SHAR\Source\SHARGame\Assets\Plugins\GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming\Core\Map Builders\GOLineMesh.cs:44
    at GoMap.GOFeatureMeshBuilder.PreloadLine (GoMap.GOFeature feature) [0x00045] in C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\Workspace\Projects\SHAR\Source\SHARGame\Assets\Plugins\GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming\Core\Map Builders\GOFeatureMeshBuilder.cs:320
    at GoMap.GOFeatureMeshBuilder.PreloadFeatureData (GoMap.GOFeature feature) [0x00086] in C:\Users\Sascha\Documents\Workspace\Projects\SHAR\Source\SHARGame\Assets\Plugins\GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming\Core\Map Builders\GOFeatureMeshBuilder.cs:210
    GOFeatureMeshBuilder.PreloadFeatureData() Assets/Plugins/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOFeatureMeshBuilder.cs:215
    213: }
    214: } catch (Exception ex) {
    -->215: Debug.LogWarning ("[GOMAP] error catched in feature: "+feature.name+", "+feature.kind + ", "+feature.convertedGeometry + ", " +ex);
    216: return null;
    217: }

GOPbfProcedure.AddFatureToList() Assets/Plugins/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapObjects/GOPbfProcedure.cs:94
    92: private void AddFatureToList(GOFeature f, IList list) {
    -->94: f.preloadedMeshData = GOFeatureMeshBuilder.PreloadFeatureData (f);
    95: if (f.goFeatureType == GOFeatureType.Point || f.goFeatureType == GOFeatureType.Label ||f.preloadedMeshData != null)
    96: list.Add (f);

GOPbfProcedure.ParseGOLayerToList() Assets/Plugins/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapObjects/GOPbfProcedure.cs:174
    172: gfm.geometry = geometry;
    173: gfm.ConvertGeometries();
    -->174: AddFatureToList(gfm,pl.goFeatures);
    175: }
    176: break;

GOPbfProcedure.ThreadFunction() Assets/Plugins/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapObjects/GOPbfProcedure.cs:71
    69: if (layer.disabled)
    70: continue;
    -->71: ParseGOLayerToList (list, vt, layer);
    72: }

ThreadedJob.Run() Assets/Plugins/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/GOShared/Helpers/Threading/ThreadedJob.cs:75
    73: private void Run()
    74: {
    -->75: ThreadFunction();
    76: IsDone = true;
    77: }

ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

31. ric1280

ric1280

Hi AlanGrant, congrats for your great work!! I just feel that is lacking 2 useful features:

- Replace the buildings by prefabs.
    - Create a script to input the prefabs by layer category.
    - Would be great if you can define multiple prefabs for 1 feature types (like apartments)
    - The prefabs can fit with the real high or with building real size to don't overlap with other buildings
    - Bug fix on random objects placement (like trees in the parks) :
    - I noticed that the trees sometimes overlap roads, water and buildings inside a park. That is a huge drawback for user feeling.
    - when you generate for instance a tree in some park position the script should check if that position does not belong to another layer too.

shyamarama likes this.
  32. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi Ric,
    Thanks for the kind words about GoMap!
    About your suggestions:

• The whole building replacement thing is more tricky then you might imagine, but it will arrive in one of the future GoMap releases!
    • If you setup the layers in the unity editors and assign them to the GoMap layers you should see that the object placement no longer occurs to overlap unwanted layers!

Write to me in private if you have bugs or other issues, let's keep this thread for sharing projects and ideas.

Thanks
    Alan

33. CommunityUS

CommunityUS

I too am interested in the Marauders map. I tried the web demo on your site, and only the parchment paper was loaded. I tried "Czech" "America" "USA" in search bar, tried hitting enter and clicking go. It wouldn't do anything. Perhaps MapZen data cap?

34. sskenth

sskenth

35. GSO_GT

GSO_GT

Hi, is there a way to convert lat/long coordinates to unity world space in vector3 and vice versa?

36. Gabriel3DMTB

Gabriel3DMTB

Hi,

After loading the map I would like to place objects. The "Loading Screen" scene loads my scene, but it reloads all parts of the map.
    The comment said "data is now stored in the GOMap cache folder".
    Still, it reloads in the new scene.
    How do I check if the map is loaded?

(Unity 2019.3)

37. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi, even if it is reloaded the data comes from the cache.
    If you have other technical questions contact me via email or the website form.
    Bye
    Alan

38. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Looks like a nice asset but this should not be in general discussion: its a promotion and support thread thinly veiled as a 'discussion'.

CommunityUS likes this.
  39. LurchUSA

LurchUSA

I have been looking at the Google Maps - Read World Games engine for Unity3d. However Google is dragging their feet in making their product available to mere moral coders like me. So can I do with your Go Maps asset, what can be done with the Google Maps RWG product?

40. lordzeon

lordzeon

Hi, im looking for a map asset to make a fast flying game, every sample of this asset is about street level zoom and relatively small areas for what im looking for, but what happen if you zoom out the map, you can fly over the entire world?

41. warianos

warianos

Hi there, i am new in the gps map stuff but i want to understand a little more abouth the api keys, i have already seen mapbox and yes i got api key, however, osm i cant really find where i can get the key... open street map seems to lack the key :S

Could someone explain to me what am i doing wrong?

42. hansschaa

hansschaa

how i incorporate Augnmented reality to this project???? which libraries i need?

43. wliyang

wliyang

Hello, team
    I have seen your Go map package from unity assets store. It is so great.
    I have some question.
    This Go Map package can be zoom in / out?
    If it is possible, it can show whole world map like google map?

And I think when we zoom out, so many 3d models will be rendered and it will be not good for mobile perfamance.

Please give me feedback. I really purchased your assets.
    Thank you so much

44. wliyang

wliyang

My cooperator purchased Go map package and I tried to import that asset. when I import assets, I have got following message

"You are trying to replace or create a Prefab from the instance 'AlertCanvas' that references a missing script. This is not allowed.
    Please change the script or remove it from the GameObject."

Please help me.

45. danosono

danosono

I think you would need to load too many tiles for that to work without causing resource-use issues. I am not certain- but GOMap does use tiles; these tiles can be made larger which could accomplish what your want. Read this page about tile buffer and zoom level. https://gomap-asset.com/docs/go-map-documentation/getting-started/key-concepts/

46. danosono

danosono

Check out this link for help. Look at Tile buffer and Zoom level. This will point you in the right direction :)
    https://gomap-asset.com/docs/go-map-documentation/getting-started/key-concepts/

47. Mars91

Mars91

Hi all a quick question.
    Is possible to use a 3D model for a "special" building in map?
    For example I want to use the usual transparent building together with models for important building such as the eiffel tower.
    I saw the guy who made Pocket Tokyo did it but I could not find any info online.

48. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hello,

Thanks for asking about GoMap!

GoMap has a built in zoom in out feature but it's something very close to the pokemon go / wizards unite UX.
    You can see the surroundings but not really zooming out to see the whole city or the world.
    That is because GoMap loads data at a very close and detailed map level and zooming out to a very large area would result in an unmanageable number of polygons in the scene.

I hope that helps in your purchase choice,
    Bye

49. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,
    Yes technically it is possible, and you should approach it this way:
    Once you have a special buildings models list and coordinates in your app you should listen to the event OnFeatureLoad of the Buildings layer in a script that basically checks if the building being loaded is the one you want to replace with lets say the Eiffel tower.
    Once you have identified the building (using whatever filter base: coordinates, area) you can destroy that one and place your own special building at that position.

Another approach would be to just add your own special buildings with a script attached to destroy the collided buildings. To do that you'll need to enable colliders on the buildings layer.

Hope this helps everyone,
    Have a good day!

50. Jalechah

Jalechah

Hi All, I have a bit of a problem with the Go Directions add on.
    I would like to use MapBox for both Go Maps and Go Directions. However, when i try to search an address, it searches as you would expect. Then when I click/tap on the destination I want it errors out saying:

[GODirections] - Address directions not supported with Mapbox
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)

Is it no longer supported you think?
    (Also, I'm not sure how to get OSM as the map data provider. The links take me to the site https://cloud.maptiler.com/ , which doesn't give a valid API / Key for the OSM option. any help with that would also be appreciated. )