Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Maps In Unity 3D - Share your experience

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AlanGrant, Mar 7, 2018.

1. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi Guys,

I’m starting this thread to know more about your experience with maps in Unity, whether you are using GO Map or a different map asset.

When I published GO Map, about a year and a half ago, it was one of the first assets to make maps in Unity, probably the first to be a location-based game oriented map and not a classic “slippy” map.

By that time I kept evolving my asset constantly, adding new features, new themes and integration with other map services mostly following my roadmap but also listening to the feedbacks I’ve received from GO Map users and their projects.
    Some of these implementations, such as street names, layer masks and indoor atlas SDK integration were developed in order to help users realize their own projects.

I think it would be a great idea to start this dialogue here too, on the Unity Forum, so I can hear more about what you think of maps on Unity 3D, what your projects are about and, why not, which map assets are you using and why.

Feel free to suggest new features, report bugs or compare GO Map with other assets you used.

GO Map goal will always be to make a very easy-to-use, but complete map plugin, with no customization code needed, to build awesome looking maps.

Bye
    Alan

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    ilmario and nicolasdekerchove like this.
  2. aobjects

aobjects

Hi Alan,

We're just about to launch MechFightAR featuring GOMaps!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.animateobjects.mechfightar&hl=en

The latest version of GoMaps is really terrific. We've tried a bunch of other mapping solutions and even created our own but your has been consistent updated and that helps us not have to worry about the mapping part. Losing MapZen was a bummer, but you've got it covered with multiple providers.

Happy to be part of your new community.

- Team Animate Objects

nicolasdekerchove and mario5331 like this.
  3. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi!

Wow your game looks really cool, thanks for sharing your project!

The Mapzen shutdown was absolutely the most tragic event I've faced since GO Map came out, many developers relied on their service and had to swap to another in less than a month. Luckily the ones who were using GO Map didn't have to do much work to change to mapbox or another map service. =)

Do you have any suggestion for a feature that you'd want to see in the next GO Map releases?

Bye
    Alan

4. ikazrima

ikazrima

deliquescator likes this.
  5. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

That's indeed exciting news, mostly because Google never had a vector map API for us to develop maps in unity.
    I think their strategy will be to release their data only through their Unity sdk, but if (finger crossed) there will be an open vector map api it would mean we will likely have Google data in GO Map too.

6. cf_richard

cf_richard

I haven't had time to fully dig into the newest release, but is there an easy "hook" or trigger to know when all tiles are done loading?

7. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi!

Yes there is, check out the new "Flat Map - Loading Screen" demo scene where I used a simple GOMap event to check when all tiles are done loading and animate a loading screen.

Check the video here

8. Plumpman

Plumpman

Hey! I wasn't sure where to get support for this. The asset is wonderful so far!

I was curious if it was possible to ping a GPS coordinate for it's metadata? Ex. Get landuse of current coordinate?

9. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hey thanks!

You should be able to get every feature's data from its GOFeature object using a simple raycast script.
    First thing first enable colliders, and maybe layer masks, on the layers you want to query from the GOMap inspector. Then you could easily edit the "GOCoordinatesRaycast" script to get the gameobject hit and it's GOFeature component.

By the way you can contact me directly through my website for this kind of questions,
    Bye
    Alan

10. aobjects

aobjects

We'd like to see improved handling of textures for the buildings including the sides and roof. The sides should repeat at a normal evenly divisible interval and the roof texture should align to the angle of the sides of the building if possible. I think GoMaps is only pushing the texture diagonally through the buildings (a trick which only goes so far). Also would be nice to figure out how to do some better seems for the roads. Adding terrain of course complicates everything as well. This would give a more natural feel to the procedural generated scenes. Some of the other commercial products have been working on these features, it would be nice to see here as well.

11. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi, thanks for the feedback!

I'm always trying to improve the rendering process of GoMap and in the last release I've published a whole new roads generation system that is way better than before, now you have rounded ends and smooth curves.
    I'm aware that the elevation adds complexity to the process and roads may not stick together perfectly, I'll keep pushing that part.

About the buildings... It's hard to find a rule that works for every building/part rooftop shape. The sides should already repeat the texture at fixed intervals (10 meters), that's a nice compromise to keep the verts count low.

By the way if you want to have a more technical chat about that send me an email!
    Bye

12. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,

A new GoMap release is about to be reviewed and released on the asset store and it will feature most of the feedbacks I've received here! I have to say that the UV Mapping was a struggle but I'm really happy that you guys pushed me to review this part of my asset because the results are really great.

Thanks to everybody and keep coming up with ideas and feedbacks.

So @aobjects , about the UV mapping I've decided to come up with many mapping styles and let you select the right one for each layer:

And here it is a brief explanation of the new UV mapping styles:

This two styles are very good for landuse or everything that is extruded but it's not a building:

Top and Sides Repeated (look at the extruded green area) will repeat the textures on both top and sides of the mesh, classic and clean.

Top Repeated and Sides Stretched will stretch the texture on the mesh sides. Personally I find that effect really cool and "low-poly style" and I've used this for the city demo scene.

When it comes to buildings we have 3 modes:

Top Centered Sides RATIO will put a single texture not repeated as the building roof and will repeat the sides keeping a 1:1 ratio between height and width of each texture. That's my choice for buildings but the other modes could be useful too.

Top Centered Sides Fit will put a single texture not repeated as the building roof and also a SINGLE texture not repeated for each building side. It might look weird with this kind of textures but I will make a new city theme that will use this kind of mapping.

Top Fit Sides Fit it's basically the same of the last one with a slightly different placing of rooftops. That's really up to you to see if it's better or not with your roof textures.

As you may see from all this screenshots the Roads UV maps were improved a lot too. Now the repeating is smooth and it's really easier for you to create your own road textures.

Here's a picture of upcoming new city theme, I hope you enjoy it.
    Bye
    Alan

MD_Reptile and zloph like this.
  13. aobjects

aobjects

goMaps_test.png Really great update! Getting best results so far with "Top Centered and sides fit". The roads are much better and the building textures are a big improvement. I can get road labels again, which seemed to be broken for us for a bit. One thing I might ask for is to have a list (array) of roof material options just like the buildings to give some more variety. It might be better to tie them to the particular building side texture or just random (a toggle between the 2 modes?).

I noticed that I do that Paris scene and use elevation. the "Arc de Triumphe" get mangled.

Also, any directions on upgrading existing projects with older GoMaps?

Thanks Alan. Great tool.

14. BobBobson108

BobBobson108

Can I use this asset to load offline OSM data? Could I use it to load data from the Planet.osm file that OpenStreetMaps.org releases? This asset looks promising, and the one restriction I have is that my project will be an offline standalone PC build, so I must load all of my data from disk.

Thank you,
    Jake

15. avigo

avigo

Hi, from some reason i cannot find the "UV mapping" options although I have the latest version. where can i find it exactly?

Plus, Can you add support for "Slippy Map"? I need my app to also have a mode for exploring the map top view, with touch gestures to zoom in/out and move around. yes, exactly like slippy map but with my Go Map theme :)

16. nicolasdekerchove

nicolasdekerchove

Hello,

We are using your plugin for a location based card game. Unfortunately sometime when playing from a car in movement we have some grey tiles appearing. It's like the game doesn't load them. Is there any solutions to avoid this kind of issue?

Thanks,

17. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

That's already in progress, I also get bored by the same roof texture on every building! =)

18. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Answering other questions:

@avigo: It might happen that if you don't use the right version of Unity to download the asset you get to download an older version instead of the latest release. I already reported that issue in the publishers forum but maybe @AndrewAssetStore can give us an answer about this?

@apocalypsehunters: I've answered to your question via email, but I'd love to read here what you think about GoMap and your experience making a real game using it! it would be great for other users, thanks!

@BobBobson108: I think I've answered to you too via email. Anyway honestly I don't think it's a good idea to have the whole world map data in a local file and make GoMap read from it. You can already do a trick to prefill the GoMap cache with tiles to have an "offline" portion of the world, as explained here. I think that is the best option you have on a mobile app that needs offline mapping.

Bye
    Alan

19. BobBobson108

BobBobson108

Thanks Alan. I did not get your email reply, but I had a similar thought and wound up just using PostgreSQL to host the planet file.

20. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

What do you think about this retrowave theme?
    I believe that's a very interesting way to use the "top fit size fit" UV mapping mode for buildings.

shyamarama and LunarExGames like this.
  21. RickAnderson74

RickAnderson74

22. RickAnderson74

RickAnderson74

Looks good, was looking for a Tron style map to add to the many projects we have in development using GoMap.
    Alan is awesome *Big thumbs up*

R.A.I.D.
    Development Team

23. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Thanks man =)

24. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay looks good.

25. FutureHouseStudios

FutureHouseStudios

Hey Alan,

We love this asset so far! We had it working a few months ago with the GPS tracking, maps, and POIs when it was in Mapzen.

Now that we’ve switched to Mapbox, the POIs only show up in the Unity editor, not in a build to an iPhone.

Anyone know how to fix? Or anyone else have the same problem?

26. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi @Blastov, I’ve never had this problem or have it reported by someone but I’ll take a look to it!
    Do you have errors in the xcode console?
    However you can email me directly if you prefer, use the contact form from my website.
    Bye
    Alan

27. FutureHouseStudios

FutureHouseStudios

Thanks for the quick response Alan! I’ll send you a dm right now!

28. nobluff67

nobluff67

1. Can you detect objects before you collide with them?
    edit: removed a question, documentation provided answer.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  29. nobluff67

nobluff67

Product looks fantastic, however the API usage, per provider, seems like an absolute minefield to me. Can your product support your own servers api using osm map download (as per osm documentation).

edit: I think mapbox free will be fine for nearly everyone, unless your game is a huge success (please), in which case you most likely wouldn't care about the added cost of extra api calls.

edit edit: With regards to Mapbox, assuming free apps includes apps with in-app purchases.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  30. mankeeey

mankeeey

Anyone found a solution for the player stopping every few steps. Even when we are still moving?

EDIT: I just increased the time in MoveAvatar.Move and it worked out for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  31. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

Is it possible working with the generated data offline in editor, to recreate a city with more details?
    I would like to get the roads of some 20km X 20km area in editor to replace them with my hand made models, buildings etc, to get a manual edited scene with a more realistic approach (it would be divided into chunks in separate scenes, manually if needed). I'm interested in getting the road data and buildings, not the online generation right now.

If this is possible I'm buying it, seems awesome!

32. Zhenite

Zhenite

Friends, I need some help. I'm refactoring an Android Studio project for Unity, I need to use the geocoder, which returns me the address based on the GPS coordinate.
    Example of my code in Kotlin:
    private fun consultaLocal(lat: Double, lon: Double) {
    enderecos = Geocoder(this@Jogando, Locale.getDefault()).getFromLocation(lat, lon, 1)
    if (enderecos.isNotEmpty()) {
    localConsultado = "${enderecos[0].subLocality}${enderecos[0].locality}${enderecos[0].adminArea}${enderecos[0].countryCode}"
    }

What could you use at Unity to do the same?
    I look forward to your help. Thank you!

33. uiktiomasfeliz

uiktiomasfeliz

hey there, awesome job with this asset package.
    I have a little problem using the compass. When the phone is in a fixed position strat flickering.

34. briankmok

briankmok

Hey, So I bought GO Map and am trying to go through the tutorial. I just imported it into a brand new blank project, but Unity is saying that there are a bunch of compile errors on the scripts. So I cant even run the basic demo. Has anyone encountered this or know how to fix it? Again, I simply imported the asset from the asset store. Thanks

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  35. mario5331

mario5331

36. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi Brian,

I think I've already answered to you via email but for other users: Check the unity and the GoMap version you have downloaded. GoMap 3+ needs Unity 2017.2 at least.
    Bye
    Alan

37. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi,
    There is a tutorial about "adding places" that is kinda the same thing. Once you understand how to add an object to specific GPS coordinates you can add a monster, a place icon, a "pokestop" or a "gym" or whatever your game needs =)

And by the way adding objects is very easy, there's a method on GoMap that is:

GOMap.DropPin

It does all the job for you.

Bye
    Alan

38. nicolasdekerchove

nicolasdekerchove

Hi Alan,

We are developers from Belgium and Panama.

After 3 years of development, we just released our location-based cards game Apocalypse Hunters. It’s a mix of Pokemon Go and Clash Royale with weather forecast interaction and some unique features. The use of Go map plugin made us win a lot of development time. It’s easy to use and highly customizable. Please keep improving and updating it.

As you may imagine it was a development road full of adventures. We had to go from 2D to 3D, redo some works because of Mapzen closing down. We also needed to add the multiplayer. Finally, we had to change game mechanisms to counter strategies of some smart cards players

Feel free to try our game here:

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/apocalypse-hunters/id1129935806?l=es&ls=1&mt=8

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ApocalypseHunters.AHUnity2

AlanGrant likes this.
  39. DevSamara

DevSamara

I am having the same issue as this guy. Tested on three different Android phones with all the same results.
    Not sure if you have come across this yourself, or if something went wrong on my end.

Thank you for your time, Alan!

40. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi @DevSamara, I know the issue regarding the Compass on android devices and sadly there's little you can do from the GoMap side. It seems that the bug is in the values that comes from the Unity API "Input.compass.trueHeading", same values are ok on iOS and very flickering on Android.
    It's probably due to the fact that iOS "stabilizes" the values on the OS side so that when Unity wraps native APIs the job is already done, while Android doesn't.
    I think that, if you really need that kind of solution for your game on Android devices, you could try to get a native Compass plugin for android devices on the Unity asset Store.

Bye
    Alan

41. Dan2013

Dan2013

@AlanGrant
    The asset seems awesome!
    I have a question about assigning an avatar's current location.
    Can I assign an arbitrary location as the avatar's current location? For example, assign a location that is not based on GPS information from the user's smartphone.

I am considering a scenario like this:
    A user controls a drone remotely from a Unity application. The drone keeps sending GPS locations to the Unity application. With your GO Map asset, the Unity application is able to assign the avatar's current location as the GPS location of the drone? Does GO Map asset work for this scenario easily?

In addition, without a GPS, does the GO Map asset works in none-smartphone devices like PC or Mac? Taking the drone example above again, a user may want to control a drone on a PC or Mac.

Railon23 likes this.
  42. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Thank you very much!

Your project seems very cool, I like it!
    Basically GoMap uses a class named LocationManager to send the Coordinates updates to the map and avatar objects. This LocationManager could be overridden, like I did for the IndoorAtlas sdk (IALocationManager.cs), to get location updates from wherever you want and then send them to GoMap.

Overriding the BaseLocationManager will give you access to these events:
    public GOLocationEvent onOriginSet;
    public GOLocationEvent onLocationChanged;

Then you build your class on top of the BaseLocationManager and when you get updates from your drone just remember to fire this events, just like it's done for the IALocationManager.

If you have other questions or problems with this you can write me via email.
    Bye
    Alan

Railon23 and Dan2013 like this.
  43. JonasHauge

JonasHauge

Hi.
    Im wandering if its possible to implement congestion from Mapbox? So I can visualize when the streets are "overloaded"?

44. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Hi, Congestion and other Mapbox services are not implemented yet in GoMap.
    I'm planning to add them inside the next GoMap release though.

How would you suggest to display this data?

Bye
    Alan

45. JonasHauge

JonasHauge

Tnx, but I have solved it my self. Just wrote a new TrafficFeature, added new layer and stuff and added data from mapbox-traffic api. :)
    Im displaying it as color changes above the road layer, ie red for severe congestion and green for low congestion.

46. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

Outstanding!
    Would you like to post a screenshot of your map/traffic style?

Thanks
    Alan

47. JonasHauge

JonasHauge

yea, quick test with congestion layer with different colors depending type (low, moderate, heavy and severe)

Attached Files:

48. kndol

kndol

When I click 'Load Map in Editor' button, I met an error:

InvalidCastException: Specified cast is not valid.
    GoMap.GOMap.BuildInsideEditor () (at Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapObjects/GOMap.cs:591)
    GoMap.GOMapEditor.LoadInsideEditor () (at Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapEditor.cs:65)
    GoMap.GOMapInspector.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/GO Map - 3D Map For AR Gaming/Core/Map Builders/GOMapEditor.cs:36)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DoOnInspectorGUI (System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, UnityEditor.Editor editor, System.Boolean wasVisible, UnityEngine.Rect& contentRect) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1625)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility: ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

Unity version is 2018.3

49. kndol

kndol

I have a question. How can I attach an indoor map using IndoorAtlas to GO Map?
    I want to switch an outdoor map to an indoor map when I enter into a venue.
    Please, help me.

50. AlanGrant

AlanGrant

I'm using 2018.2 without problems, I'll take a look to it for the next release.
    Anyway for any technical question or compile problem please ask me at my support email or through the GoMap website contact form.

Bye
    Alan