Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Mapping Contest! Greybox the best level, win a copy of ProBuilder 2.0!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Dec 10, 2012.

?

It's Voting Time! Who's Map Should Win the Greybox Mapping Contest?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. damagefilter

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. hemuuuli

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. Winterblood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Katalyst

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. jessica1986

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. BrendanKZN

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Strawnie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. mirt

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Splatacat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Reverend Speed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sorry to hear the scene crashed on you, gotta save often! I've lost so much work in so many different programs, eventually I just gained an obsessive-compulsive "Ctrl-S" tick in my finger, it goes off automatically ever minute or so ;)

2. jessica1986

jessica1986

*scene started becoming heavy..well after 11 hours of sitting now goin to have a break. Again, if you like my efforts please vote for me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  3. jessica1986

jessica1986

Stall no. 21

Once i texture them, it will look exactly the same will a the accessories

4. SevenBits

SevenBits

I do the same thing, but just about after every single change I make.

Call me crazy, but at least I've never lost any work. ;)

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

Okay, here's my entry. It was designed a bit like a first person shooter map way high up... this map focuses really on sniping and close range weapons, as the arena is largely open with little cover

I really like FPS maps, so I figured I'd do one. I'll update it at soon so I can claim my victory! :D

$pic1.jpg

6. jessica1986

jessica1986

To my final try to win this contest i 'll be making similar kind of objects as shown in the image below.

for video presentation

flags-

and a few more

7. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, Hemuuuli just raised the bar quite a bit! Great work! Also, I tried out your webplayer demo- don't worry, with ProBuilder 2.0 can properly batch down all those drawcalls for a properly efficient scene ;)

Contest deadline will be tomorrow, 11:59pm (Chicago time) so there's still a day and a half left folks! Thanks again to everyone for participating!

9. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Yes. I had to decrease the quality of shadows for the web player because they took too much memory (Unity crashed when I tried to build the web app). Nodraw should help with that in projects where I need to think of optimization more and for a serious project I would use models for smaller geometry anyway. Probuilder seems to be best at blocking the scene and making it easier to optimize.

10. SevenBits

SevenBits

Damn. I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a level designer compared to this.

11. jessica1986

jessica1986

This is my final entry - http://youtu.be/w4nqcVBHPjQ

I did not worked on the lights as they were not part of the contest. Objects on my roof are not visible in this video due to improper lights but i have shown the images in this thread before.

Hope you like it. Best of luck everyone. Enjoyed working with Pro Builder.

12. SevenBits

SevenBits

Can you move around in that scene? I wasn't able to.

13. Strawnie

Strawnie

Well.. I wanted to participate in the contest, but unfortunately there has just been so much work lately, so I wasn't able to finish what I had started. I had planned a bank and a prison as well, but was only able to finish the saloon.

But damn.. Hemuuuli's map looks sweet :>

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oh wow, that's great! Actually this is giving Hemuuuli a run for his money... Anyone else with some last-minute awesome work? Still a full day left, don't give up yet!

This map has a real TF2-ish vibe, made me picture Hemuuuli spy-sapping everyone else computers before they could submit, haha ;)

Also, I see you were running into some of the normals-going-wonky issues that 1.x has, luckily that is long gone in 2.0. Great work Strawnie! How was the experience building this, especially those complex broken bits?

15. Strawnie

Strawnie

I've only worked with Unity a bit. Compared to the default Unity system, ProBuilder is fantastic. I spent ~5 hours making the entire level (including learning and getting used to the tool). The broken bits were a bit tricky since I often ran into the duplicate-bug explained here. I even managed to parent 3 blocks together and distort them in a really weird way.. the hardest part was probably rotating the boxes on the roof - I didn't want to just rotate the box because it wouldn't line up well, so I had to stretch the blocks a bit. The draw calls also went up to ~4-5000 so it got quite heavy and I had to restart Unity once or twice. After lightmapping the draw calls got a lot lower (sits at ~5).

I also get a lot of errors in the Unity console (mostly NullReferenceException), which worried me a bit at the start, but apparently it isn't something major.
    And a tip: disable the ability to duplicate objects while in "edit box"-mode. You really don't want to duplicate a plane.. There's just no way of getting rid of it again >_>

I used to make maps in GtkRadiant - ProBuilder and ProGrids combined made it feel almost like it, just better.

The only thing I really missed: Hotkeys.
    e.g. Ctrl+E to start editing the selected box would be neat.

16. yahodahan

yahodahan

Strawnie- thanks for the detailed info on your experience, great to hear.

Interestingly, each and every issue you describe is already fixed in ProBuilder 2.0 :) I'll just re-post the latest video here, just in case you haven't seen it:

Especially those hotkeys and (ha) the ability to duplicate planes/verts by accident. 2.0 is a whole new program (literally, built from scratch as I like to point out). Plus loads of new features like merging, exporting, prefabs, etc. Anyway, hope you like the video!

17. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

SevenBits: Thanks, I am not a professional level designer but I have been creating levels as my hobby for many years now. At the moment I am studying game programming and hoping to start my own company when I graduate. And yes, you can't move around in the scene, just admire the view.

Strawnie: That was a promising looking scene. I think you made the same mistake as I did for first. Tried to do too large scene, one month is a very short time and even I had to cut some corners short because of lack of time in my very small scene. (the window was supposed to be larger and you could see more stuff outside)

Jessica: I think lights are quite a big deal in a grayboxin phase. They help showing the shapes of the geometry and makes it more interesting to look at. I also think that showing of your scene would be better done in a few high quality pictures showing the best parts and allowing player to walk around the by themselves to explore the rest. That way you could have used the enourmous space in your advantage. Youtube video is a bit boring.

I hope we'll get some last minute entries. Surprise competition is always fun!

18. jessica1986

jessica1986

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  19. damagefilter

damagefilter

I can only say WOW to all of the entries. Really amazing stuff around.
    A shame I haven't had enough time the last couple of days to really finish the prison.
    So I have a cell block (without actual doors, haha), a half-finished shower room and .. oh yeah. That's about it :S
    Well, better than nothing. Here goes:

The cell block

View to the showers

The shower room

Here I think something went wrong with one of the brushes. I might have rotated it in some odd way.

Well then, good luck to everybody :D

20. kenlem

kenlem

damagefilter - I love your work. Any chance of getting a web player so we can walk around?

21. damagefilter

damagefilter

Thank you! :)
    Uh, yeah I guess I could quickly make one, why not.
    Give me a bunch of minutes ^^

//Edit
    That much about bunch of minutes -.-
    Here's a webplayer:
    http://playblack.net/unity/walkthrough.html
    It's kinda laggy at (a lot of) times but it runs okay.

Use ctrl and alt to go up/down or mouse1/2 if you prefer.
    wasd / arrow keys to fly around, the usual stuff.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  22. Strawnie

Strawnie

Wow, I had not seen that video before. The new toolbar reminds me of the one in UDK. And that plane editor... Damn..

*cough* ctrl, not shift :)

Really sweet map though! I have a feeling it would be awesome to play Quake in it.

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

All good points there! Also, for anyone looking to optimize their scene so it runs well in the webplayer/mobile/etc, here's a video I put together that will take your scene from 4000 drawcalls, down to 1!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ECHyKN55E

Of course, ProBuilder 2.0 is much, much more efficient, with less effort- hopefully we can get a free version utilizing the 2.0 system out very soon!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  24. damagefilter

damagefilter

Yes, ctrl, thanks, I fixed that, haha.
    Hm well I certainly hope to play some Prison Island in it some day.
    Though some quake might as well be fun, if I still had q3 somewhere I'd actually try that.

25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yep, we should have full-on painting and blending of the verts and materials in 2.1, just like Displacements in Hammer. Hmm, I obviously need to market 2.0 better, I assumed everyone here had seen the videos.

@DamageFilter- wow, awesome work, that really came together well! This is going to be a close competition, and who knows what else might still come in before the deadline! You could quickly make the drawcalls drop to just a few, by using the lightmap tool suggested in the "Optimization" video I posted just a few comments back. Obviously not required/part of the contest, but just in case you'd like to make it run more smoothly :)

26. damagefilter

damagefilter

I did ;)
    It contains 9 4k lightmaps. They were crazy large ofc so I edited the import settings to omit mipmaps.
    Saves quite a lot and also avoids some of the ambient occlusion tearing on a couple face edges.

Additionally I made the fog slightly more dense - I just noticed that I forgot to adjust the clipping planes - great.
    Well it would probably run slightly smoother if I hadn't forgotten about that, heh.

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oops, my bad! With nine lightmaps at 4096x4096 resolution...heh, yep, that's tough to make work. 2.0 would allow you to merge shapes, which is a big help. Most of all, each face is no longer a separate mesh, so drawcalls are instantly divided by at least 6. I gotta get on that 2.0-based free version!

28. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Hope there's enough time, I'm just trying to sort a bit of lighting out and i'll post my final pics, will be in an hour or so.
    Must say there are some great works here! Well done to everyone so far.

29. yahodahan

yahodahan

Plenty of time- 10 hours on the dot!

30. SevenBits

SevenBits

Wow, that's great! Good job!

31. SevenBits

SevenBits

Wow, that looks incredible!

32. mirt

mirt

Ok, here's my submission... I tried to do a sort of 2d level. I just started learning Unity and in turn found the ProBuilder tools and it has made the learning process way more fun! Like everyone else has said, I wish I would have had more time, the contest was really cool.

The other entries look really good too. Does anyone know how to get those awesome shadows like Hemuuuli produced? Do you just have to have the Unity Pro edition?

33. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

That looks great mirt! Welcome to Unity.
    Those shadows you can get by using Unity's built in beast lightmapping, I only dug into it about a month ago, you can use some of it's features with the free version which I'm running at the moment. Just browse youtube for tutorials on that, it's impressive.

Thank's again for the competition, it has been fun, there should be more of this happening on these forums.

I could have done allot more but time has been sparse of late. It's just some random level/design that came to my head as I was designing it. Bellow is my final images.
    Good luck to all!

34. mirt

mirt

Thanks so much for the tip. Your level looks wild, and I love the style of those trees!

35. yahodahan

yahodahan

This a really neat use of ProBuilder, looks very much like the XCON base- nice work on this mirt! Really glad to hear ProBuilder has helped you out, and made mapping fun- that's the big idea, honestly, simply making the process "fun again". Success!

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

This really took off, Brendan! I love the trees- definitely my favorite part of the whole scene, and the arches beneath the stairs are a close second. Great work all around! This really makes me think Tim Burton meets TF2 meets Oblivion... And of course, the sign is very nice too ;)

37. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great entries so far, 3 hours left! Hoping for a few more last minute submissions still... :)

In case you didn't have time to complete a map, I'll definitely be doing another mapping contest- it's been great to see so many people give ProBuilder a try and come up with some very cool art!

38. mirt

mirt

Awesome! I definitely know a few people who would love to get in on the next contest.

39. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Marvelous! New entries~

Mirt: Just use Beast as Bredan adviced, real time lights requires pro though. Glad to see other people to also enjoy mapping.
    Bredan: Now let's just add couple of jumpads there and start playing Q3 insta-gib! Great cold/ward contrast in lighting.

40. yahodahan

yahodahan

I agree, Brendan's level gives me an urge to play some Quake or UT 2004!

Using lightmapping is definitely #1 for making your map look great, especially when all that's allowed is architecture and lighting. Even with textures though, lighting can make or break any game. Greyboxing/clay renders like this are always a great way to practice getting that lighting to look great, and building intersting architecture as well. Fewer options you have, the better the art has to be!

I'm going off on a tangent- just under an hour left!

41. Splatacat

Splatacat

Hey there guys, those are such great pieces of work.

I don't think mine stands a chance.
    I just added the terrain to help my dam look more like a dam.
    It's a wall that channels the water to a turbine for power generation. It's very unfinished as I had little time to work on it.
    I tried to achieve a large scale, the wall is about 200 meters tall.

Thanks everyone for the inspiration.

42. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

LAST MINUTE ENTRY!

Fallingwater made in Unity...

Semi Greybox image attached...

I know this is unbelievable, but I didn't see the greybox restriction of the compo until the end. Gragh. So I did a TINY bit of texturing - mainly to quickly do the windows...

Sadly, couldn't get the lightmapping to work with Probuilder in the last few minutes before deadline...

Webplayer

Your mission: Navigate the Kaufmann Residence with no stairs!

Ended up with less than a day to do this in, thought I'd take a crack at doing recognisable, realistic architecture in Unity/Probuilder.

Good luck in the compo, guys! Some beautiful entries!

--Rev

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Wow, that's as last minute as it gets! Nice work Reverend SPeed and Splatacat, thanks for taking a shot at the contest! Although, cough cough, only the standard grey ProBuilder textures allowed, and no non-ProBuilder meshes. Gotta keep it fair for everyone ;)

I'll give the thread a few more minutes for late entries (that's usually me, in any contest), then it'll be officially closed down, and voting will begin!

44. Reverend-Speed

Reverend-Speed

NNNGH, REMOVING CUSTOM TEXTURES AS FAST AS I CAN--

*edit*

...stares at what just happened in Unity... backs away slowly...

Actually, on second thoughts, when's the next competition? =)

*edit*

--Rev

45. yahodahan

yahodahan

No worries Reverend Speed, it's just great to have more entries! There will definitely be another competition- might even make this a standard monthly thing, if enough people are in for it. Love seeing what people create!

46. yahodahan

yahodahan

Whew, finally finished posting all the final entries to vote on! There were only 10 spots available in the Unity forum poll, so I arbitrarily pulled the top 10 active participants- sorry if anyone feels left out, we'll definitely do this again, very soon!

Thanks again everyone- now go vote!

47. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

I take it we can't vote for our own? :D surely you can see who voted for what yahodahan?
    I'll make my vote later, gotta think about this one, I'm bad at decision making. Looks great everyone!

48. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

yohodahan: I have a question about the presentation of scenes for competition.
    You have only picked one picture per parcipitant, why is that? I think you could state that in rules in future; one final picture for voting or something like that. Most of us here have created scenes that don't really fit into a one screenshot and I think something like two or three shots is better for showing of the scene. Just something to keep in mind in future competitions so people can put their maximum efforts to those screenshots that will be used in judging.

Good luck everyone!

49. damagefilter

damagefilter

That's also not fair and shows some severe lack of sportsmanship of the voter.
    Or/and greed.
    Is what I think.
    (No offence intended)

Anyways.
    The results are very nice although I can only second hemuuuli.
    It's no big deal ofc but would have been good to know :D

50. kenlem

kenlem

I took the single screen shots of each entry as a reminder of who is who in the thread, not a the single entry for each. Maybe I'm wrong.