Search Unity

Mapping Contest! Greybox the best level, win a copy of ProBuilder 2.0!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Dec 10, 2012.

?

It's Voting Time! Who's Map Should Win the Greybox Mapping Contest?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2013.
  1. damagefilter

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. hemuuuli

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. Winterblood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Katalyst

5 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. jessica1986

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. BrendanKZN

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Strawnie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. mirt

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Splatacat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Reverend Speed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Winterblood

Winterblood

Yay, congrats damagefilter!
    Thanks for the comments yahodahan, can we see your cathedral? I will be starting on the inside of my church shortly when I've been back for reference photos :)

Liking Jessica's show booth too - is that for client previz?

2. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Gratz damagefilter! and Merry Chrismas to everyone. I started working on the next area of my corridor today.

3. damagefilter

damagefilter

Thanks everyone :D
    @Hemuuuli Your brushwork skills are crazy man. The lighting might be a little bit too dark, the brushwork all vanishes into dark areas. That wall in the background looks very interesting, I'd like to see it lit.

So, here's one more of my level.

I'm not very happy with the lighting yet - it looks dull. It's hard to do it properly without light bouncing though.
    I'm all for limiting Unity in the free version but this is just one stupid limitation imho xD
    That's it for the cellblock now, I'll go on with another area.

Another thing that struck me just now:
    Is there a way in ProBuilder to select the default ... default texture?
    I'm just wondering, because setting up nodraw sides after building a very complex scene is dull work and finding all the faces afterwards is not very reliable.
    I would rather make everything in nodraw and apply real textures later. That seems far more efficient to me.

Thanks again for ProGrids. It's amazing, as old Hammer user I'm feeling a little bit more at home now :D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. jessica1986

jessica1986

Thank you for the compliment WinterBlood.

This is for my final project. I am trying"fingers crossed" to make a huge hall for exhibition and wanna make it look beautiful. I will be making 20 designs of stalls and like 20 objects and then will fill around 100 stalls with these. Then i will make an exhibition hall like this-
    http://preview.turbosquid.com/Previ...f58de3b-6376-423f-a5de-cf5bf73a51e7Larger.jpg

I am not a max/maya user, Pro Builder has given me wings to design being a coder.You people have amazing designs, n i am working on simple designs as compared.

5. xenop1990

xenop1990

So I just found out about this tool and I really like it.

I just started this subway station.

Greetings

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  6. jessica1986

jessica1986

How can i export my design from one project to another ?

and why cant i make a prefab of BuilderBox's ?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  7. BlackTerrorGT

BlackTerrorGT

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else came across this. May not be related to ProBuilder at all and maybe just something with my Unity install but previously in my progress I could generate a lightmap and as I've added more detail I now get this message:

Something went wrong in the Beast lightmapper: Job Execution Failure This is a bug - please report it with a scene reproducing the issue.

Since all of my geometry is with BuilderBoxes plus the terrain, I noticed Beast attempts to make a lightmap for each box, which is crazy at this point. Do I need to adjust my Beast settings, I've ramped down all the settings lower than the "Low" default. Here's a few early screen grabs...

$earlyBuildings.jpg $topDownIso.jpg $building.jpg

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Nice work Xenop, looking forward to more screenshots!

9. yahodahan

yahodahan

Sounds like your texel resolution might just be too high? Try lowering that in the Lightmapping window, especially if your objects are giant. Neat looking WIP images!

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Exporting and prefabs are only part of ProBuilder 2.0, sorry!

11. yahodahan

yahodahan

Nice!

Hmm, good thought- I think Karl actually made this an option in the 2.0 beta Editor Prefs. Otherwise, we'll definitely add it!

There is also "auto-nodraw" in ProBuilder 2.0 :)

Great to hear ProGrids has been so helpful for you!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  12. yahodahan

yahodahan

Almost time for another ProGrids giveaway! If you have new WIP images, be sure to get them in before tonight!

13. BlackTerrorGT

BlackTerrorGT

Lowering the Texel Resolution helped a bit, but it still doesn't like my main building. Must be too many intersecting cubes. So much more to do, but here's my last WIP for tonight.

$buildingsLightmap.jpg

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Neat, quite a bit going on there! I also noticed you have some "scaled" objects- this is generally a no-no, and can cause issues. I would try rebuilding those scaled bits from vertex-edited cubes.

As for the week's contest, I think I'll extend it a day, give more people a chance to drop any new images. See you all tomorrow night!

15. jessica1986

jessica1986

ProBuilder 2.0 , have u launched it in asset store yet ?

16. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Jessica: Currently you can create prefabs by creating an empty game object and adding blocks to be its children. Not a perfect solution but works as a workaround.

Here is my current scene in Unity browser player: http://virtualautonomy.com/worlds/node/89
    I will still keep expanding the scene, tweaking lights and adding more detail. I'll also add zoom so you see the scene better. So this is nothing final but I think it is better to showcase digital designs in 3D space rather than with static images.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  17. BlackTerrorGT

BlackTerrorGT

Oh crap. So you can't scale builderboxes? I believe I scaled everything off of the fps capsule size and an original builder box. I might need to rethink my idea to something smaller than two city blocks.

18. Winterblood

Winterblood

You can stretch them to any size, just do it using the vertex tools instead of the Transform scale, otherwise the lightmapper gets confused...

19. yahodahan

yahodahan

@Winterblood: thanks, exactly. That's the beauty of ProBuilder- no more annoying, tedious, code/shader ruining scaling!

20. yahodahan

yahodahan

Alright, 12:05am and not seeing any last minute entries- Hemuuuli, I'm giving this one to you! Winterblood, I really hope to see more of that cathedral soon. Katalyst, that was an intriguing start, quite detailed, interested in seeing where it goes. Thanks to all for trying out the tool and entering your creations! (Hemuuuli, just send me an email via the address in the docs, I'll send over the full tool ASAP).

Thanks again everyone, hope you've been having a great holiday if you do that sort of thing! :)

21. jessica1986

jessica1986

I Did all this last week, I will be making 8,9 more stalls...then i will start to light , arrange things

Found a bug - In my scene, the vertex tools have stopped being green on selecting.
    **update - Issue resolved after reimporting.

And another annoying thing is, if i have a box without alignment with grids and if i switch on the green button of pro grids, and click my box then it gets disturbed..That should not happen, see the below image for the effected box

I really love ProGrids. But i would love it more if i will have some more power.

1. Is these Builder Boxes already occ culled ??
    2. I have tried creating a prefab as guided by Hemuuuli
    @Jessica: Currently you can create prefabs by creating an empty game object and adding blocks to be its children.

But it did not worked for me,..

If you like my work then please vote me to win :)
    MY scene is an exhibition hall scene, so it should look like an exhibition hall and not as a level. Hope i achieve my goal and judges notice my efforts.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  22. jessica1986

jessica1986

New Designs

23. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

I wasn't sure what email you meant so I send my message to the one in your forum profile. Did you get my message? Edit: Got it now, thanks!

@Jessica: I wonder why your prefabs won't work in my way? o_O In my scene there are a few prefabs, for example the pillars and boxes.

Happy new year everyone!

24. damagefilter

damagefilter

Hell. Hemuuuli with ProGrids - that's gonna be badass :D
    Gratz man.

I got one more from that cellblock. Couldn't resist it. That's the door (frame) to the showers and then control room.

Also,
    a very happy new year :D

25. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Something strange has happened in my scene using the free version... when I first started creating boxes, all the colliders worked perfectly. Now when I run the scene, rigidbodies just fall right through.

I'm trying to test ProBuilder before I buy.. but I'm not sure if that is a bug or not.

26. karl_

karl_

Looks like very Combine architecture, I like it!

27. damagefilter

damagefilter

Indeed, it is heavily inspired by Mister Antonovs work.
    It puts an accent on great vertical heights and makes them look even higher so - yeah.
    Glad you like it :D

28. BlackTerrorGT

BlackTerrorGT

Hey quick question, is there a way to move the pivot of a builder box. I'm trying to rotate a wall at a 45 deg angle but im limited to moving the box from the center or the pivot (in Unity) which seems to be an arbitrary point. The result is that I can't get my walls to line up exactly if its not a 90 angle while using ProGrids?

29. BlackTerrorGT

BlackTerrorGT

Another issue I'm having is that if I make a builder box and modify it using the handles, then duplicate the geometry and adjust that new piece. The original piece will transform with it.

30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi PyroStudio- in ProBuilder 1.x, all items have colliders disabled by default, actually. You have to select the "builder boxes" that you want to collide with items, and click the "Enable Collider" button. In the free version, however, enabling colliders is not possible. The idea is just to give a sense of what can be built/constructed easily and quickly, hence this "grey boxing" contest. Although it can do much, much more, super-rapid prototyping is where ProBuilder really shines (in my and others' experience).

+1 on this as well, I really like the vertical bits!

31. yahodahan

yahodahan

Unfortunatly not easily in 1.x, although I'm attempting to figure a method in v2.0. There is a workaround option:

1- Move the object to 0,0,0
    2- Select all verts on the object, and move them so that the vert you want to rotate around is now at 0,0,0
    3- Exit edit mode, and since the pivot hasn't moved but your mesh has, the object pivot is now at the corner you chose!
    **Note: You have to be in "pivot", not "center" mode to see/use the effects of this, it's the little button just to the right of the "move, rotate, scale" buttons in the top-left of the Unity GUI.

This is an old, ugly issue that 1.x sometimes exhibits, sorry for the trouble. A quick fix is to simply enter and exit edit mode on an object before you make a duplicate of it. Or, if you already duplicated, enter/exit edit mode on the original, and the issue will be fixed. Complicated issue, basically it's the result of saving your scene from loading up with unused meshes, and 1.x never quite got rid of that issue. v2.0 is in "Release Candidate" stage though, and coming very soon! (videos/info further back in this thread)

32. jessica1986

jessica1986

Yep thats an issue. Do this to avoid the issue-

Press the Deactive button, then copy and then Activate ProBuilder, this issue will not happen in this case.

1 strange case i am facing is, if i generate a new box, stretch it and the copy it, now in the new box, if i squeeze it, the moving bar is fixed to that original position instead of coming near to the new box dimension

33. yahodahan

yahodahan

Scaling/Stretching objects will cause issues, try not to do it. The whole idea of ProBuilder is to avoid needing to stretch objects, just use the verts! :)

34. jessica1986

jessica1986

By scaling, stretching i only mean using the vertices, not using unity scaling.. I will try to explain this bug in detail with images. Well those images of mine was my entry for this week. I have made 3 more stalls.

I hope i get something this time (Fingerscrossed) :)

35. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Hi everyone. Thanks yahodahan for this amazing tool and giving us an opportunity to win the full version!

Here's my Work in progress. :D

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi BrendanKZN, that's looking very interesting! Reminds me of the Daedric ruins in Oblivion...keep it up, would love to see the full structure! Is this for a specific game/etc? Thanks for your entry!

@Jessica- okay, great! Hopefully we can figure out that bug ASAP.

Lets see more entries, folks- it's Saturday already! Only 5 more days till a full copy of ProBuilder will be given out :)

37. jessica1986

jessica1986

Another stand

Hut like

I really hope people like my looooong time efforts. Next i am making a Medievial hut like stall. I am making something very huge so things are taking time but i must admit 1 thing -

I really pray i win this sunday :)

38. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

39. jessica1986

jessica1986

Please note- I can do anything with this tool, but i am doing whats needed in an exhibition hall. I have done a lot of work. Please vote if you like my efforts

40. jessica1986

jessica1986

Others are not bad, you will find them equally good once i will texture them

41. Hemuuuli

Hemuuuli

Texturing wasn't allowed as far as I understood?
    I liked the stand with the roof because it brings the roof closer. Big halls have usually high ceiling and they that makes me feel uncomfortable. That little hut looks inviting because it gives me shelter from open space. It also looks more cosy than abstract stands with sharp angles.

The reason why I chose a traditional scifi scene was the nature of their complex architechure, that makes the scene interesting even without the textures. The lack of textures also gave the lights more importance. I usually pay a lot of attention to textures and try to keep the world geometry / polycount as low as possible. It was refreshing to forget textures for a while and just concentrate on shapes and silhouettes.

42. yahodahan

yahodahan

Jessica- wow, that's quite a bit you've built there! Awesome work. ProGrids prize definitely goes to you this week! Just send me a PM and we'll get it sorted out :)

@Hemuuuli- indeed, just concentrating on the architecture, details, and lighting can be a great experience. It's the part I like most about map making, actually. And don't worry, with ProBuilder 2.0 you'll be able to crunch all those drawcalls down as far as 1, if you use the right tricks!

@Wintersblood and Katalyst, if you are still around, I'd love to see updated images of your scenes.

4 days till the final prize, thanks for participating everyone!

PS, Hemuuuli you are correct- no textures allowed in this contest

43. jessica1986

jessica1986

woooooooooooow, thanks a lot. I promise i'll make you all proud with a huge scene. i only need 40 days more as per my time table

44. jessica1986

jessica1986

45. jessica1986

jessica1986

Hii, sent pm...

46. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Nice Jessica, well done!

@yahodahan, I was aiming at more of a Quake 4 style level floating in space, at this moment I'm just adding as I go, not specific for any game.

Not sure I'll stand much chance with such awesome entries and the fact my holiday's have ended and am back at work today. Great work everyone, shows how much can be done with ProBuilder without going back and forth between external modelling programs. Would be great if one can add extra vertices or split a face, but that might detract from that bsp style. :)

47. yahodahan

yahodahan

Don't give up just yet! I might just decide to give out at least QuickDecals to each and every person who shows a few more images of their ProBuilder work ;)

There will also be ProGrids for all the runners-up, and I'm really hoping to see some extra spectacular screenshots for the final prize (full copy of ProBuilder) on the 10th!

48. SevenBits

SevenBits

QuickDecals looks very nice!

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks SevenBits, it's definitely a handy lil' tool.

50. jessica1986

jessica1986

Ok, here is my hall for the exhibition hall and found few bugs which can be improved -

I have hanged a banner, lights and a design to the roof

I have made a huge scene as to what i wanted to do. If you like my efforts please vote for me to win this contest.

Ok, talking about bugs-
    1. I worked entire night on a scene but i never pressed save. The scene became very heavy and finally when i pressed play unity got hanged and stopped working. Now when i re-opened the scene nothing was saved. This shocked me as i lost my 5 hours worked, i could have shown that too but i lost entire thing, nothing was auto saved as i thought.

2. create a new box, select the vertices of 1 side and stretch it. Now deactivate pro builder, copy that box, activate probuilder and select the newly copied box, again select its vertices of 1 side and this time squeeze it. Now the problem is the arrows which we use to move the box, they are not near the box anymore [they are at that point where the box vertices were before we squeezed them]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013