Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

MapMagic 2 - infinite procedural land generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Binary42

Binary42

I checked and it had been drafts i observed unwelded, the mains weld correct! Thanks :)

2. PiterQ70

PiterQ70

Hi. The price is 40 euros more in bundle, some prices was changed? Screenshot_20210405-001050_Chrome.jpg

3. ledshok

ledshok

I think that's because the bundle includes the Brush pack, which is 40.20 euros.

4. protopop

protopop

Thank you, including Den.Tools fixed the seed issue.

The Ui.Cs didn't work, it also disabled the zoom in and out function. I reverted back to the original. I will keep working to update to MM2 and try and figure out a fix for dragging the graph around on Mac last.

Could you please tell me how I can update these 2 lines to MM2?

Code (CSharp):
    1. mapMagicObject.ClearResults();
    2. mapMagicObject.Generate(force: true);

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  5. Wright

Wright

Yes. Bundle version will include the Brush module - it's currently pending Unity review and will be available soon. And it will cost $45, which Unity makes equivalent to 40.2 EUR.

If you can't wait you can download beta.

This fix is included in currently pending version, so it should be available soon.

It's nearly the same:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. mapMagic.ClearAll();
    2. mapMagic.StartGenerate();

protopop likes this.
  6. gozdagb

gozdagb

A bit about integration with Vegetation Studio Pro.
    I have to give it up in the project, because the integration is not working well, there is a bit of a lack of functionality.
    It probably works very well when dealing with static terrain, but not with real-time ones

1. in VSP tab "terrain", adds terrains automatically, but does not refresh the list after turning off the play, now I have over 100 empty fields there.
    2. Unnecessary node "VSP Pro Objs", attaching the "scatter" to it gives absolutely nothing, spawning rule and the number of rocks is on the VSP side. It doesn't matter if you put 1 or 1000 in "scatter", there will be some changes, but nothing you want. Their number is unlikely to change.
    3. Checking the "Copy VS" checkbox in "VSP Pro Objs" lists only collection errors. (What this should do?)
    4. "Package" field in "VSP Pro Objs" is not working properly. When you use biome or functions, changing this field to a different package, changes this field in all nodes in the project. (fixing this can fix most of the bugs on this list, provided you fix point 2)
    5. Same problem as 4. is with "VS Pro Maps". If you want to inject a mask into this field, it's only for that 1 particular "package". Replacing "package" will replace it in all nodes in the whole project and errors will appear.
    6. You can use VSP "Texture Masks" with "VS Pro Maps" node, but generating texture causes lagging, frame drops to <5.

I can still use VSpro in a project as long as it works globally on all chunks as ambient, without complicated rules. Or using with static terrains. You can still spawn massively "Biome Mask Area" objects, but then the preview in the scene window is a tragedy and the game slows down.
    Otherwise, it's a waste of time to learn what works between MM2 and VSP.

I have been using the MM series for several years now, the combination of MM + VSP + MicroSplat is a very powerful creation, as long as everything works.
    @Wright please refer to this message somehow, because I don't know whether to wait at all for this to be fixed

mrpotson92 likes this.
  7. protopop

protopop

Thank you:) I am getting close to making the transition.

When generation is finished I call a function in MM1. Can I update this to MM2? Is there a replacement for the OnApplyCompleted?

Code (CSharp):
    1. mapMagicObject.OnApplyCompleted -= MyPostProcess; //just in case it was not called on disable
    2. mapMagicObject.OnApplyCompleted += MyPostProcess;
    4. public void MyPostProcess(Terrain terrain)
    5.         {
    6. //my code
    7. }

8. Wright

Wright

You can subscribe to static Action<TerrainTile, TileData, StopToken> TerrainTile.OnTileApplied to determine if some specific tile has been generated and applied, or to Action<MapMagicObject> TerrainTile.OnAllComplete that is called when all of the tiles are done.

I will try to look into it next week. Integration is a sore spot - every new 3rd party asset version is changing the way it works with MapMagic. And it takes some time to study the other code to find out what exactly went wrong. And speaking of VS this code uses the different guidelines, especially naming conventions. And after that I have to make it work without changing that code (I can ask Lennart or Jason to change it, but the changes will be available only in next version - and so far I won't be even able to test it). So I cannot promise that I will make it 100% work, but at least I'll try to solve most critical issues.

protopop likes this.
  9. Wright

Wright

New version (2.1.3) is released. It brings some bug fixes:
    - Portal selector now gives a list of only it's type
    - Import node re-scale error fix
    - Forest node other trees fix
    - Shader warning fix

But most important thing - it introduces the Brush module:

The Brush module is included with a Bundle package, or could be purchased independently:
    Asset Store (not sure why the screenshots are not displayed here yet).

10. protopop

protopop

I want to display a "generating spinner" while MM2 is generating terrain.

In MM1 I check with

Code (CSharp):
    1. ThreadWorker.IsWorking("MapMagic");
    How can I check if terrains are generating?

EDIT: I figured it out
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using Den.Tools.Tasks;
    3. myUISpinner.SetActive(ThreadManager.IsWorking);

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  11. protopop

protopop

Im trying to figure out how to change the terrain settings for all generated terrains, like grass distance and density.

In MM1 I changed the setting on all the Chunks (I think those were terrains in MM1) and then I changed it in the MapMagic instance too, so that all future generated terrains would share that setting.

EDIT: I figured this out too.

MapMagic 1

Code (CSharp):
    1.  public void TerrainDetailDistance(float f)
    2.     {
    3.         foreach (Chunk c in MapMagic.instance.chunks.All())
    4.         {
    5.            c.terrain.detailObjectDistance = f;
    6.         }
    7.         MapMagic.instance.detailDistance = f;
    8. }

MapMagic 2

Code (CSharp):
    2. public void TerrainDetailDistance(float f)
    3.     {
    4.         foreach (TerrainTile c in mapMagicObject.tiles.All())
    5.         {
    6.             c.ActiveTerrain.detailObjectDistance = f;
    7.         }
    8.         mapMagicObject.terrainSettings.detailDistance = f;
    9. }
    Here's my code in case it helps anyone:)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    ledshok likes this.
  12. mick129

mick129

For some reason I can't move in a graph, I can't even zoom in or out. Creating a new graph will not change anything.

I tried on both 2019 and 2020 LTS.
    The problem happened as soon as I have updated MM2

Edit: I have deleted MM2 and reinstalled the code only and the problem is still here

13. rillani

rillani

I have the same problem in the MM2 2.1.3 bundle in 2020 LTS. I also can't load my old graphs.

14. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

Is it possible to use the Brush module at runtime?

15. Swyfft

Swyfft

Hi @Wright ..

with new project of v2.1.3 (not bundle) I seem to have exceptions when opening some of the demo scenes / graphs.. (objects, splines)

upload_2021-4-7_23-45-21.png

Code (CSharp):
    2. Exception: Could not load graph data:
    3. System.Exception: Could not find type for: MapMagic.Nodes.ObjectsGenerators.BiomeBlend, MapMagic, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
    4.   at Den.Tools.Serializer.DeserializeObject (System.Int32 refId, Den.Tools.Serializer+Object[] serialized, System.Object[] deserialized, System.Object[] reuse, System.Action`1[T] onBeforeDeserialize) [0x00500] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Tools\Serializer.cs:643
    5.   at Den.Tools.Serializer.DeserializeObject (System.Int32 refId, Den.Tools.Serializer+Object[] serialized, System.Object[] deserialized, System.Object[] reuse, System.Action`1[T] onBeforeDeserialize) [0x0046b] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Tools\Serializer.cs:633
    6.   at Den.Tools.Serializer.DeserializeObject (System.Int32 refId, Den.Tools.Serializer+Object[] serialized, System.Object[] deserialized, System.Object[] reuse, System.Action`1[T] onBeforeDeserialize) [0x00348] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Tools\Serializer.cs:582
    7.   at Den.Tools.Serializer.DeserializeObject (System.Int32 refId, Den.Tools.Serializer+Object[] serialized, System.Object[] deserialized, System.Object[] reuse, System.Action`1[T] onBeforeDeserialize) [0x0046b] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Tools\Serializer.cs:633
    8.   at Den.Tools.Serializer.Deserialize (Den.Tools.Serializer+Object[] serialized, System.Action`1[T] onBeforeDeserialize) [0x0000f] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Tools\Serializer.cs:191
    9.   at MapMagic.Nodes.GraphSerializer200Beta.Deserialize (MapMagic.Nodes.Graph graph) [0x0000b] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Nodes\GraphSerializer.cs:58
    10.   at MapMagic.Nodes.Graph.OnAfterDeserialize () [0x00008] in D:\UnityProjects\Test-MM2-v2.1.3\Assets\MapMagic\Nodes\Graph.cs:1150
    11. MapMagic.Nodes.Graph.OnAfterDeserialize () (at Assets/MapMagic/Nodes/Graph.cs:1159)

16. Swyfft

Swyfft

17. gozdagb

gozdagb

18. gozdagb

gozdagb

Is there any way to define the maximum number of objects in the scene? If I have a "scatter" node in which I enter density 100, and 90 objects appear on one chunk and 2 on another, then I would like to limit it so that there will never be more than 5, is it possible to do that? I know I can type 5 in scatter, but then the probability that any object will appear is very small. If it is not possible, can you do such a node? I encounter this problem very often.

19. bdsowers

bdsowers

@Wright

To echo @mick129 , all movement within the graph now appears broken as of the latest version. Makes this pretty much unusable.

Also seeing the exact same exceptions that @Swyfft is reporting on import.

Also also, the new Brush tool looks great, but there's literally nothing mentioned about how to start using it?

20. jebediahh

jebediahh

Hello - Can somebody point me to the documentation that describes how to use the new Brush Module to paint textures with Microsplat? Or if the docs don't exist yet, can you please tell me basically how to do it? I want to use the MapMagic node editor to create noise for the brush and have the brush paint with microsplat.

21. Krooq

Krooq

Sadly I can't speak to @gozdagb issues as I haven't had any of them but I also use the same stack and it is really powerful. Integration is super hard! but really worth it, I'd guess VSP and MicroSplat are used by 90% of devs when working with terrain in Unity.

I have an issue with infinite terrain generation with VSP, I posted in the VSP discord but have no response yet, this is my issue:

I'm using Map Magic 2 to generate terrains during runtime however when it creates a new terrain and adds a VegetationSystemPro component it takes a mighty long time to initialize it, like 2-2.5s. I have small terrains with a fairly small number of vegetation objects instanced and maybe 50 vegetation items in my sole package. The reason I bring up the vege package item count specifically is that it seems that it is the SetupVegetationItemModels() method that is taking up all the time when it creates a new VegetationPackageProModelInfo. This makes sense as making one of the model infos loads some resources and sets material textures and shaders etc. it does a lot.

@Wright not sure if you have noticed this or if it's something wrong in my configuration?
    Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: This expensive model info creation is purely readonly, really it should just be copied from the source VegetationSystemPro component, I'll try that and report back.
    I think VSP could really benefit from making the multi-VSP component workflow much smoother for runtime generated terrains. It seems runtime generation/streaming is a big issue on their discord.

EDIT2: I gave it a go but it it seems that the lifetimes of the things in VSP components are super intertwined, its quite tricky.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  22. ysundawa

ysundawa

Seems like everyone are reporting the bugs for the new version :)

As for me, I am currently exploring the Spline, understood that we can access the spline and it's points from Den Tools SplineSys.. but my problem is when I start to retrieve the points using .GetAllPoints(), it doesnt give me the points in order, ie : random location are returned...
    Is there any way we can get the points in order? for example from Start of the spline to the end .....

23. Krooq

Krooq

Looking at the source I can't really see why they wouldn't come out in order..
    SplineSys.lines is exposed, which gives Line[] which has Segment[] which has Node start, Node end which have Vector3 pos. You could try that?

24. Krooq

Krooq

I also cannot load some of my graphs in 2.1.3
    My unofficial patch for this is to add
    Code (CSharp):
    1. {"MapMagic.Nodes.ObjectsGenerators.BiomeBlend", "MapMagic.Nodes.BiomeBlend" },
    At line 239 in GraphSerializer.cs

Looks like it was just a rename that was missed.

25. Minzie

Minzie

Does anyone having issue with Microsplat node after updating to newer Microsplat version 3.791? I notice that the Microsplat material & prop data assigned to Microsplat node will auto reset whenever I delete the "map magic game object" in Hierarchy & re-drag the graph back into the scene. I need to assign the material & prop data everytime. This is not happening when I'm still using old Microsplat 3.79. Also, I'm having issue with Microsplat texture exceeding 16 textures. I got below error message - IndexOutOfRangeException. Does anyone have the same issue?

I'm still using previous Map Magic 2.1.2.

upload_2021-4-9_15-16-2.png

26. Krooq

Krooq

I can confirm that the first part of your issue is definitely true in 2.1.3, I'm sure that'll be a quick fix.
    The references stay if you do not delete the MMObject so that's easy workaround.
    Didn't try the >16 textures, maybe try regenerating the texture array?

27. Minzie

Minzie

@krooq thanks for confirming. I'm having the issue although still in 2.1.2. Yep, in the meantime just don't delete the MM gameobject for quick fix. But I hope it can be solved soon..

I've deleted the folder where I keep the Microsplat material, shaders, etc. and recreate it from scratch, but still in vain.. I have this issue since I've first used Map Magic 2 (started using since v2.1.2) & Microsplat 3.79. Checked in the forum, this seems to be solved before. But, not for me... :(

28. Binary42

Binary42

The spike is observable in the in the VSProScene with VSProGraph2 and a brief look into the profiler brings up VegetationSystemPro on the top. Probably the VSP initialisation itself was never meant to be used in a streaming setup and is not using the job system or spread out over several frames. In any case it is not a MM issue alone and some collaboration will be needed here. MM2+VSP is the best thing that happened to procedural generation ... since MM or VSP. Pleeeasse make it work! :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  29. Roan-Albers

Roan-Albers

Hi Wright!

Whenever we change the graph seed number to randomize our generation it works but it always seems to revert back to 12345 (after a Unity reboot for example).

30. Krooq

Krooq

Sorry to bombard this thread. I'm having another issue that is somewhat related to terrain resolution.
    I noticed that vegetation that is run-time spawned with VSP does not align with things spawned using the VSP objects node as shown below.
    resissue.jpg
    This is only noticeable at the edges far from the origin of a tile.
    Increasing the terrain resolution seems to fix it but I don't really want such a high res terrain as it takes much longer to load.
    I'm not a VSP expert, maybe there is a setting in VSP that can increase the resolution of my grass? Or maybe its the VSP objects node spawns that are suffering from the lower res.

31. Wright

Wright

Thanks everyone for reporting issues! Here are the ones that were fixed with the quick fix:
    - graph scroll/zoom lock
    - BiomeBlend import error (thanks krooq for finding out what finding out it's reason)
    Patch.

The scatter node places objects more or less uniformly. It creates an equal grid of distances, randomly cheeses a position in each grid cell, and then relaxes objects that are too close. Still there could be differences on an edge cells, but the difference is a few objects, it doesn't scatter 90 objects on one tile and 2 on the other. If it does so then something gone wrong.
    It's the Random node that places objects at pure random, but still it tries to place objects more or less evenly.

The thing is that Brush is an editor tool. It is used to paint splat maps the same way you edit terrain with standard terrain tools. And then this splat maps are read and converted to MicroSplat or other terrain material data using MicroSplat tools - the way it's done with the standard painting.

Krooq helps out again, he has the right instructions in his post:
    It's quite common to have something broken after 3rd party asset update. Jason is not notifying me about his asset changes (and he doesn't have to). It is not related with MM version. I will try to look into this issue next week.

Try enabling or disabling Copy VS property in VSProMaps output -> Advanced. One of the modes is noticeably faster in playmode (don't remember which one exactly). When enabled it will use individual VSPro component for each tile.

Are you doing this in editor or in playmode?

I might just guess that VSPro uses 2^x resolution (512, 1024, 2048), not 2^x+1 (513, 1025, 2049) (don't remember exactly, but I bet it does). I've run into this problem with the usual splat maps when making the brush. The problem description looks pretty similar - it's okay in the tile center, but not aligned properly at the edges. However looking at the screenshots I doubt whether it's related.

There was plenty of posts recently, sorry if I've missed something. Feel free to tag me in a post.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
    protopop, Swyfft and mick129 like this.
  32. Krooq

Krooq

@gozdagb you should have a look into the source and try making your own variation of the scatter node.
    I think it would actually be pretty good to have the option on the random/scatter nodes of what to do when the positions escape the boundaries.
    I see a few possible variations
    - discard (default and current behaviour)
    - reroll + nb reroll attempts + allowance (keep trying a number of times to place inside the bounds, {allowance} can be outside the bounds @gozdagb I imagine this is what you want)
    - clamp (points that fall outside the boundary are clamped to the closest edge, not sure if this is all that useful)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  33. Minzie

Minzie

@Wright I asked in Jason's forum & he mentioned that it's just a change to the shader output so it wouldn't cause Map Magic to lose references to objects. Could you look into it again?

Also I'm still having issue with Microsplat texture exceeding 16 textures (IndexOutOfRangeException). This has been brought up previously in the forum by others & seems to be solved with the update, but I still have the same issue since day 1 using Map Magic 2 bundle.. I have logged into idea infomer including with the Whittaker nodes mentioned previously. Sorry to bother you..

34. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

@Wright Is it possible to use the Brush module at runtime?

Thanks!

35. Wright

Wright

Yes, I was going to look into compatibility issues next week.

No, at least not yet. But feel free to add this to ideainformer.

OdderOtter and protopop like this.
  36. protopop

protopop

Can I change the Grass node patch resolution at runtime via script before I enable the MapMagic object? I want to be able to choose like 8, 16, 32 or 64 from my splash screen.

37. Krooq

Krooq

@Wright I think you are right about the VSPro using 2^x resolutions.
    If I subtract 1 from the `int splatsSize` in VSProMapsOut (2 lines) everything lines up perfectly at resolutions close to the terrain size and within a reasonable margin of error with resolutions lower than the terrain size.
    With the fix the error is consistent and explainable by resolution inaccuracy.

@Wright perhaps its better to construct the VSProMaps texture masks at a resolution provided as a parameter in the node and then downsample/resize to the terrain size. Would also be good to add a hardness factor at the moment I think its just a threshold >0 value.

Otherwise I would recommend to people using the VS PRO MAPS node to ensure your terrain resolution is equal or greater to your terrain size otherwise your texture masks will not always line up great. (I assume most people would know this anyway)

38. macube

macube

I have a question about the new Brush-Tool from Map Magic 2: Is it possible to use this brush at runtime? that would be very useful to draw streets at runtime on my game..

39. OdderOtter

OdderOtter

macube likes this.
  40. gozdagb

gozdagb

true, but there is option to have security margin of chunk in scatter, but this also doesn't work well, work only then you put margin more than 512 (or -512) (testen only in resolution 512)

41. Roan-Albers

Roan-Albers

Doing this in editor

42. valentinwinkelmann

valentinwinkelmann

@Wright
    The Whittaker error still exists. it is not fixed, exactly the same error occurs as before.
    Tested in a blank Unity project in Unity 2020.3.2f1 URP with MapMagic 2.1.3

43. Exeneva

Exeneva

Prospective buyer here.

Can MM2 Brush be used to place gameobjects such as grass (mesh objects, not just grass texture) and bushes without using the terrain detail system and on a terrain not created using MapMagic 2? I want them placed as gameobjects, which I will later render using GPU Instancer.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  44. Zimnel

Zimnel

I'm having an Unsupported Graphics Format (101) for SetPixel Operations error when I try to draw with the brush. The brush button itself is grey and this error message pops each time I try it.

Tried on Unity2020.3LTS both on Standard and URP, same error.

URP:
    Just after importing the bundle
    https://i.postimg.cc/0jj935z4/2020-3stable-urp-errors.jpg

When I tried to draw (created a terrain, added the Brush component and the Add graph to it)
    https://i.postimg.cc/7YMyVTtL/2020-...p-magic-brush-unsupported-graphics-format.jpg

Standard:
    After importing
    https://i.postimg.cc/CMbyhqg4/2020-3stable-Standard-errors-after-bundle-import.jpg

Hitting the Draw button
    https://i.postimg.cc/K8qwq7Pm/2020-...d-graphics-format-for-setpixel-operations.jpg

45. Zimnel

Zimnel

Autoresponse:

Preset source and Graph for Brush have to be the same in order to work. I was following the video and this step was not set in there, neither I've seen it in the Brush manual.

This step is important since you setup which operation will you be performing. I've tried several times to just use the no preset and the add graph as in the video and manual to no avail, anyone else had this?

I'm still having that pesky SetPixel error though.

https://i.postimg.cc/nr2FzdW6/Brush-Working001.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/VkDKRjym/Brush-Working002.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  46. Wright

Wright

Yes, it seems to be exactly the same issue - actually 2 of them (error and links disappearing). And I've just tried the latest version just to check that they are fixed, and everything seems to be okay. Could you please check if you have really updated to 2.1.3? Sometimes package manages is not updating an asset, so check in MapMagic - About.

Yes, I could reproduce this issue, will look into it now.

Yes, Brush could be used to place objects, but you will need Objects module for that.

Yes, graph is a part of the brush preset. You can assign the graph, but it won't be saved with preset then.

The yellow console messages are warnings, they don't affect module functionality, but I admit that it can look a bit sloppy. I will try to get rid of them in next update.

The SetPixel error is the one that interests me. Don't remeber I've ever encountered this while working with terrain splatmaps. Could you please send me full console message? And if you have a scene + graph as reproducable scenerio I will appreciate if you could send it as well.

47. Wright

Wright

A little update on this. Are you sure that old MicroSplat behaved differently? The thing is that terrain material is not part of the graph - it is assigned separately in Material Properties -> Material Template of MM object. I doubt that MS could change this.

And just of out of curiosity - what is the reason of frequent MM object removing and adding new one?

I'm still going to look into 16 channels issue.

48. mick129

mick129

It took me a while to find that is the problem and I finally found it.

There seems to be a bug with the split if you add either an "Object" or a "Tree" node with multiple prefab. It will only see the first one no matter how many prefabs you insert.

First screenshot, you can see all the trunks are the same

upload_2021-4-13_17-46-25.png

Second screenshot is the exact same graph, but avoiding the split node.

upload_2021-4-13_17-47-54.png

To reproduce, simply spawn anything after a split node.
    In my case the 3 sections after the split (mushrooms, branches and trunk) have that problem.

Cheer!

49. protopop

protopop

Can we change the "Detail Resolution" in generated terrains from 512 to 256?

50. Minzie

Minzie

I'm sorry I think I have confused myself. I check back my graphs & notice I have mixture of MS output node & default Map Magic texture output. I may have "thought" no issue with previous MS node because I was ACTUALLY using default Map Magic texture output. Stupid me.. The previous version of the MS might also having the same issue, I'm not sure. I don't backup my project in old MS version, so I can't try again.. Another stupid me..

I keep removing & adding the MM object because I have different graph with different height. If I directly drag the graph to MM object graph slot, it will follow the height of previous graph. I was thinking that delete & re-add the MM object (by dragging the graph directly to scene) will preserve the height for each graph. But I was wrong as the height of the graph will always be 250. Is there anyway to make each graph retains its height ?