Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. jimmygladfelter

jimmygladfelter

2. Wright

Wright

Unfortunately no, I'm not a big expert in UE, and got to learn a lot before implementing something as big as MM here.

Yep :)

3. nnurgle

nnurgle

Heads up the link to forum in the map magic menu inside of the unity application brings everyone to the now locked work in progress forum.

4. nnurgle

nnurgle

Using Unity 2020.1.0b16.4139. Everything works well except one all important feature. All the popup windows disappear before I can actually activate them. This means I cannot create any nodes.

Here is what I am seeing:
    Right Click in graph window, I get the popup window with Create, Generator, Group, Value, Graph. This popup window stays there until I hover my mouse or click on any option, then it disappears with no other result. If I trace my mouse over the menu very fast, the menu stays there. It seems like the submenu popup event is causing the popup to close. The same exact behavior occurs using the +Add area when I right click it or drag it to a destination. (drawing shows the other menu but has the same behavior)

Only other clue I see is that when any of these popups show, the map-magic window looses focus. (The blue line goes away) When the popup goes away, the window regains focus. I only mention this because right clicking in other windows to access other popup menus does not cause the focus change.

5. janvetulani3r

janvetulani3r

Hi!

As far as I know you're still not generating anything for water in Map Magic 2
    There's a cool video that shows how the water layer is generated in Breath of the Wild wit a terrain layer that's being raised up from far below the terrain to make rivers and lakes and the sea, and I was wondering if MM2 could generate a similar water layer based on a secondary terrain under the map that is being raised into generated river beds and lakes and the sea etc.

Here's the video in question:

illinar likes this.
  6. Wright

Wright

Hi folks, just an announcement that I have to take about a week (maybe a bit more) off - I've got to hospital on Friday. I'm getting well, but still have to pass some time on a thick leave here. Sorry for that!

7. taylank

taylank

Take good care of yourself! Hope you feel better soon.

protopop and illinar like this.
  8. illinar

illinar

Get well!

I like the idea of using a second terrain mesh for water layer (rivers and lakes). The splat textures could be used to give shaders info about the river flow. For example RG - direction B - foam or intensity of the current.

janvetulani3r likes this.
  9. protopop

protopop

you've created an amazing product that so many people love. Now take care of yourself and don't worry at all. Everything will be here when you get better and your health is what is most important so take the time you need to take care of yourself.

10. Wright

Wright

Unity 2020 has been released. I have not been tested right-click menu with the release version yet, but if it has any problem - try enabling the experimental menu by turning on experimental features in windows - MapMagic - settings.

LIFOname likes this.
  11. secondsight_

secondsight_

Already posted on discort, but I´ll try also here:

I made the mistake and have my MM1 MapMagic object as an offset (not even sure when or why I did that) and now the generation somehow messed up. I have a combination of locked tiles and generated.

Anyways, I remember reading about it here somehwere in the forum not to use an offeset, but I want to know if there was a fix / workaround for this ? I have already tested without the offset and all works fine, exept I would loose my hand sculpted terrain content. So before I proceed to redo it, I though better ask ^^.

12. jasonsurratt

jasonsurratt

Hello!

Firstly, I want to say MapMagic 2 has been a joy to work with and makes me think about procedural terrain in a whole new way.

As I've been plugging away I've created a number of additional functions to augment MapMagic. Most of them wouldn't be of much use to anyone else but others may be helpful. For example, I just created an Aspect function that returns the downhill direction of the input map. I use this to make objects point downhill or in combination with blur, make buildings point towards the roads.

I've got another function that generates consistent intersections on tile edges that can be used to connect procedural roads across multiple tiles.

So on to my question, is there a place where I can push little user-contributed functions? A git repo, etc.? I'm happy to release my code in the public domain or whatever license is appropriate.

Thanks!

13. Wright

Wright

I'm missing what the offset is? Is it the MM object position? It should work fine in this case.

Thanks!

I'm really glad to hear you could append it with useful nodes! Feel free to publish them on MM2 thread, or I can make a special page for it on MM2 wiki. As long as they do not contain the part of MM code and are not for sale you can feel free to publish their code.

14. Zoryth

Zoryth

where can I find good generators graphs? I want a map with lots of plain flat areas and some montains etc :p I remember there used to be some available for download.

15. thatnzguy

thatnzguy

I'm doing some tests to see if I can use MM2 in realtime for terrain painting. There is a hitch when I press Generate or Generate Changed during play. I was wonder if there is a way to mitigate this hitch. Any ideas?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020 at 8:26 AM
  16. LIFOname

LIFOname

I was having this issue as well, it effectively put my map making on hold. Experimental features fixed it as you suggested. Thanks so much.

unityunity