Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. PHeimann

PHeimann

Thanks for the advice, I found that already by following the tutorials on MM2 and it works pretty well. By using the selector generator I could prevent having grass below sea level.

camta005 likes this.
  2. Wright

Wright

Could you please link or email me the graph?

Yes, I plan to add new modules, but need to finish the current ones - I mean the splines - first.

3. YolanOTHER

YolanOTHER

@Wright I had issues getting multiply on a blend node to work last night on a larger scale map. I just tried again with a single tile and it seems to be working now. Is it known that you have to hit generate every time you update a unity curve? I'd like to use your new curves but there doesn't seem to be any way to zoom in so they are hard to get where I need them. Also is there no raw texture input on mm2?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  4. DustMap

DustMap

Hello. Is the Legacy RTP output just no longer functional at all? I have both plugins imported but am greeted with the message stating that it cannot find the plugin. Is there a step I am missing or a manual link I can make? The message I am referring to is "Cannot find Relief Terrain Plugin. Restart Unity if you have just installed it." I understand and see that it says very clearly it has been replaced by CustomShaderOutput but I used this method for a previous project and would prefer to re-use some of the implementation in this one. Unity 2019.3.1 if that helps. Thanks for any info.

5. ConAim

ConAim

On MM2, you can do Project -> Create an Imported Map (RAW/Texture). Then you can load it from ImportNode.
    Not sure if it related to your topic or not, but it seem like it can only tile a large custom imported map (4096) correctly when set "Main Resolution" to 33, but not anything higher...?? Bug or am I doing it all wrong?

6. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

Hi Denis
    Just downloaded MapMagic 2, love it and planning to buy the objects and spline packages now.
    I have issue with Vegetation studio pro integration, there are several missing references in the VSProObjectsOut.cs file

one of them:
    Assets\MapMagic\Compatibility\VegetationStudio\VSProObjectsOut.cs(12,22): error CS0234: The type or namespace name 'ObjectsGenerators' does not exist in the namespace 'MapMagic.Nodes' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Is it possible that Map magic 2 is not yet supporting VS pro while Map Magic 1 is?

Thanks,
    Or

7. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

I tried it with both Unity 2019.3.11f1 and 2019.3.6f1

8. Wright

Wright

It's hard to determine whether the question is related to MM1 or MM2, so let's use the MM2 thread for all related questions and issues reporting?

You've got to remove VSProObjectsOut.cs and VSProObjectsEditor.cs scripts. They were included in build by a mistake, and won't be here in the next version. Obviously, you can use only the VSPro maps with the core package, not persistent storage objects.

No, RTP now works with custom shader output. The legacy output isn't updated anymore.
    If you could provide some information on what are you doint in legacy node I could give give some advice on how to do the same in CSO.

If you encounter that again feel free to report an issue.

Nope. Adding to bug list.

You can use Import node for this.

9. rusty_kuntz

rusty_kuntz

Thanks for the fast reply,
    No It wasnt obvious to me, I bought the MapMagic Objects asset and looking on it now,
    Can you explain in short what I need to do to make VSpro work with MapMagic2?
    The video I saw was for MapMagic 1 and its a bit confusing

Thanks again.

10. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi Team - Working on a VR project with MM2 . VR Cam is tagged as Main Camera. Haven't researched yet but any ideas? No camera in scene. Not a Console Brick - Everything is working great with MM2 => terrain looks amazing in VR - Just a compounded error in console.

Attached Files:

11. protopop

protopop

Does Mapmagic 1 and mapmagic 2 work with UNiversal Render pipeline URP?

12. eaque

eaque

Hi Denis,

Sorry for the noob question, but i don't see any biome demo scene in MM1?!!
    I would like to recreate your biome tutorial on youtube but i have only island data in MM1.
    I suppose i can get that thru your wiki...but is it possible to put those 3 biomes data in MM1 folder??

thx

13. bok

bok

Hey Dennis!

Love MM2 so far.

Is it still possible to have multiple objects in the same Objects generator where each object has a separate input arrow? I tried "Multi-Prefab" but that doesn't let me decide different inputs for each object. Or do I have to create an object generator for each object in my project (there are many objects so this would need lots of generators)?

Also: The "Duplicate" button to duplicate generators isn't working yet right?

Thanks!

14. Wright

Wright

Yes, both. The demo scene was made with the standard pipeline so it won't be displayed properly without changing terrain shader, but the new MapMagic object will work properly.

If you mean this video then these biomes are the part of MM2 biomes module. They were not made for MM1, but you can find the similar graphs in the community graphs page. However, you've got to use your own textures for them.

Yes, layered object output generators haven't made much sense - there was no normalizing (like in Texture layers) or any other dependency between layers. Each layer behaved the same way as a separate generator anyways.

Note that in MM2 you can use a list of prefabs to choose at random - check Multiple Prefabs in node's properties - this way you can use the single inlet, but various objects. More info here.

Oops, page was not uploaded. Will fix it soon.

Duplicate issue is fixed and currently pending Unity review.

bok and protopop like this.
  15. Poupi

Poupi

Hey,
    I just started to try MapMagic and it's easy to learn and the results are awesome. However, I don't know if i'm missing something but there's something I don't understand about the general workflow.
    Let's say I have a single graph for generating the game terrains. I want to alter some parameters (noise scales, curves) and add some specific features at a precise location, how am I supposed to send values from the game logic to the Map Magic graphs ? I don't see anything in the documentation that could help me to take some parameters from c# scripts and inject them into the terrain generator.
    I can probably create some custom nodes to do it, but it will probably be a dirty hack :/ .

Thanks and congratulations for the release of MapMagic 2 !

16. truefx001

truefx001

I copy-pasted the Badlands MapMagic game object into my scene
    I see gaps in the distance

Unity_hZCq8TdsQ8.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  17. eaque

eaque

no, i was thinking of this video https
    ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvrZwjWY13c
    but you answered with the graph page that i couldn't find by myself, sorry
    thx

18. protopop

protopop

Im learning MapMagic 2 and hope to be able to replace MM1 in my project. But I am still loving what you can do with MapMagic 1.

I hope its ok to post examples here

EXN5GEAXQAcrjjG.jpeg

Zoryth, eaque, mmaclaurin and 5 others like this.
  19. nitoh

nitoh

Hello everyone,

I purchased MM2 objects and biomes. My problem is I cant create a working custom object generators. I had no problem writing mm1 custom generators.

I tried to create a very simple generator that is gets input objects, and outputs the same objects, but it isnt working. If anyone can share a simple example script of this in MM2, and help how to implement, it would be a big help.

20. julianh65

julianh65

Sorry this may be a dumb question but I was having some problems with the graph editor.

A lot of the features are missing for some reason, the add button in the top right, opacity for textures, editing the curve, grouping, all don't seem to be working. I attached a screenshot of what it looks like. Additionally the buttons are flashing and all greyed out

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 5.56.23 PM.png

Using: Unity 2019.3.10f1 (Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4)

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  21. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I also had buttons flashing in the popups, using Catalina and 2019.3.2f1

julianh65 likes this.
  22. Bodyclock

Bodyclock

I had the same problem during the Beta (reported) on Windows 10 and it turned out to be the screen resolution. I was running on a 4K monitor. Worked fine in HD. Also the interface had the strange colour grading which I can see in your screenshot.

23. youness2003

youness2003

Hi , I cant fin this model of nodes snow or anything to add biome
    snow.asset

24. julianh65

julianh65

Hmm, that didn't work for me unfortunately :\, it's still bugging out and even crashing unity sometimes.

25. truefx001

truefx001

@Wright I have issues with right clicking on the graph to add anything when trying to select a menu option it disappears. Unity_fWJ1DWkj6x.png

26. Acatist

Acatist

Hi mate, I have problems with the boards in MM2. I have simply put a raw on it and I woke up with these problems in all the joints (attached image). What's wrong! What is not well done?

Attached Files:

• 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      338 KB
      Views:
    • 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      3.8 MB
      Views:
  27. Wright

Wright

Sure, feel free to most more of them, they look gorgeous!

I'm going to make a simple template custom node after a while, along with the documentation ot tutorial on how to write them.
    I can see you've got an error in the console. Could you please paste the first one (if there are several of them) here (or email me)?

The most odd thing is that some users got all the UI in grayscale. Don't know if it is related, but I'll try to find out why.

Seems that the draft terrains are not welded with the main ones properly. Are you using the unchanged badlands graph that comes with the biomes package? What are the coordinates of this place?

What are your OS and Unity version, and is there any error in the console?

The issue seems to be in a RAW node. I could reproduce and confirm it, and going to fix for the next version (and probably will upload a quick fix when it's done).

However I can see that you've also got the grayscale-looking UI - it should not be so, and this is the issue I can't reproduce. What are your Unity version and OS, is there any error in the console?

28. Acatist

Acatist

The version of Unity I am using is 2019.3.12f1. But I don't think the problem is this. I think the problem is that this happens on the Mac. My OS is 10.14.6. Also, assigning colors to groups gives problems, it doesn't work. In the console there is no error, it is ok.

29. Acatist

Acatist

Hi again, do you know what can happen with VSPro? New project, Unity 2019.3.13f1, only MM2 and VSPro installed, nothing else. I did all the settings correctly but I get this error:

Attached Files:

30. Alex1337rus

Alex1337rus

Hi! Is anybody know how can i make this effect in mapmagic?

31. julianh65

julianh65

I think the error in the console must have been from some other things I was testing, I just loaded up map magic into an empty project and there weren't any errors in the console.

The grayscale and no add button still persisted.

32. Acatist

Acatist

Hi mate, I am having problems with VSPro, try to fix it anyway possible. I have followed the steps of your tutorials with VSPro but it seems that there is a problem and it doesn't work at all with MM2. What you have in the package like Demo VSPro doesn't work at all!

I will not start exposing the errors here since they are many, different errors are generated as I try to adjust. I think you should review this integration and be a little clearer. Please solve it with a demo or tutorial VSPro + MM2 as soon as possible since it is impossible for me to use VSPro ... Thanks.

Attached Files:

33. besbar

besbar

Hey. Thanks for the awesome asset! It works like a charm in the editor. When I build&run it only grass is rendered. Colliders are present also. Any idea why the terrain doesn't get rendered in the built game?

Attached Files:

34. Wright

Wright

It might be happening if you've got no tiles pined in your scene - in this case Unity doesn't know that you are going to use terrains in build, and thus not include terrain shaders. You can try fixing it by adding terrain shaders in Edit - Project Settings - Graphics - Always Included Shaders.

Hmm, it seems that Vegetation Studio doesn't have a storage package assigned for some reason. Probably asset ID change on building the package or something. You can fix it by assigning by dragging VSProStorage asset from demo folder to VegetationStudioPro object -> VegetationSystemPro object -> Persistent Storage component -> Storage slot. Or you you can download the fixed scene, hope it will still contain link on importing to other project. I'm not sure, it might be the Vegetation Studio itself removes the link for some reason.

Are you using 4K or other high-resolution monitor? Trying to find out whether it is related or not.

35. besbar

besbar

I pinned one tile and it works perfectly now! Thank you so much!

36. besbar

besbar

What is the easiest way to create/update a navmesh for the tiles generated at runtime? I used
    method. I added a LocalNavMeshBuilder into the player as child. And I'm using this to tag the terrains:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public GameObject mapMagicContainer;
    2.     void Update()
    3.     {
    4.         //Tag the terrain to be used as a navmesh source
    5.         //When these tagged terrains overlap with the LocalNavMeshBuilder (child object of player) the navmesh is updated
    6.         foreach (Transform tile in mapMagicContainer.transform) {
    7.             var mainTerrain = tile.Find("Main Terrain");
    8.             var navMeshSourceTags = mainTerrain.GetComponentsInChildren(typeof(NavMeshSourceTag));
    9.             if (navMeshSourceTags.Length==0) {
    10.                 NavMeshSourceTag navMeshSourceTag =
    11.                     mainTerrain.gameObject.AddComponent(typeof(NavMeshSourceTag)) as NavMeshSourceTag;
    12.             }
    13.         }
    14.     }

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    roger181078 likes this.
  37. julianh65

julianh65

Thanks for the replies :)

In regards to that I'm not sure if it has something to do with the display resolution. I'm running it on a macbook pro 16 inch that runs at 3072 x 1920, but I also hooked it up to a 1080p monitor I have and the problem still persisted :\

Is there anything I can try to help resolve the problem?

38. pauljrogers

pauljrogers

Hello Map Magic experts! Is this the right forum to seek help with Map Magic 2?

I am working on an android project, and want to use Map Magic 2 with Map Magic Objects. So far it is an empty, basic project, just trying to add in Map Magic 2 to see if it will deploy and run on my Android phone (android version 8.0.0/Oreo). Everything builds and deploys just fine, but with the simplest Map Magic 2 configuration I just get a blank screen and the app stops. Unity logo/splash does not even appear. (Logo appears and app runs fine prior to adding map magic to the scene.)

Map Magic graph has a simple Constant node attached to a Height node (both with default settings). There are no textures or other objects.

I'm using Unity version 2019.3.11f1, Map Magic 2 version 2.02 (May 3, 2020 version).
    I've tried the Unity default/built-in android SDK, NDK, OpenJDK. When that didn't work I installed the Google SDK and NDK (for 8.0.0, api version 26). Still no go.

My questions are:
    - Should I expect Map Magic 2 to work with my 8.0.0 android device?
    - What is the required or optimal android api version to target?
    - Should I be using the Unity supplied SDK/NDK and OpenJDK, or should I use something else?
    - Are there any other considerations/settings I should be aware of to be successful in targeting Android?

Many thanks!

TLDR - Map Magic 2 (ver 2.0.2) build failed to run on Android 8.0.0

39. Acatist

Acatist

Hi, I don't know what happens with VSPro, but it doesn't even work with the demo that you sent me to solve! I add a gif to you to see how it generates the errors, this happens in the demo that you sent me. I don't know, but is it possible that all this happens because of the editor !? You remember that on mac it does not work correctly.

Attached Files:

40. Acatist

Acatist

Hi again, I am very sorry to ask you so many requests for help but practically nothing of the integrations works for me. Here I pass you the errors of the CTS when putting on the scene. I have tried it in every possible way, not at all, it always gives errors. When it does not give errors, it does not load the CTS for the surrounding terrains, etc.

Attached Files:

41. Wright

Wright

It might happen if you are using the native code (turned on by default). Try disabling it in Window -> MapMagic -> Settings. This will switch MM to pure C# instead C++. It is slower, but should work on all the platforms Unity supports.
    BTW thanks for TLDR :)

Will look it on mac, thanks for reporting this!

Despite MM2 was in open beta for several months, it's still got some rough edges, especially when it comes to integration with the other assets. So as long as it all about MM2 issues it's me who should feel sorry about that :)

I can see you are using the Textures Output instead of the CTS Output. You've got to use only the CTS node, with no Textures Output involved. Try taking the CTS demo graph as an example.
    And you've got all of the CTS interface disabled - this might happen if you have no CTS compatibility in Windows -> MapMagic -> Settings.

42. Acatist

Acatist

Yes, I tried it anyway, and with textures and without textures, etc. Anyway the error persists. The screenshot that I attach is made from the same demo that you have in the package. In other words, I tried it again from the demo scene, I kept giving errors. The CTS in setting MM2 is activated. I would appreciate if you could give me any solution ... Thanks

Attached Files:

43. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi! I am a bit confused as to which version to choose when integrating Map Magic on my project ( I have bought it 2 months ago).

Do i go just for importing the Map Magic asset or the Map Magic 2 with all the modules? Which should i go with ?

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  44. pauljrogers

pauljrogers

Thanks for the very good suggestion! That sure sounded like it would be the silver bullet, but alas, still no love on android. Just to verify that it wasn't caused by anything else, I removed Map Magic from the scene and then it ran just fine on my phone. Do you (or anyone else) have any other suggestions? Does it matter which Android SDK/NDK I use?

Thanks again!

45. truefx001

truefx001

[QUOTE="Wright,
    What is your OS and Unity version, and is there any error in the console?
    [/QUOTE]
    right click on the graphmenu and trying to select one of the options closes the menu making a selection impossible, as I showed before
    Windows 10, Unity 2020.1.0b6.3521 and no errors.
    I do need this version because it has the 4GB resource limit per scene file in build fixed.

As well as the Lock terrain function is not working, when you have more than 1 terrain area locked the second terrain stills refreshes back to original shape

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  46. shebotnov

shebotnov

All of my text is messed up. I have a new scene with only Map Magic 2 and nothing else on Unity 2019.3.13

47. SpyrosUn

SpyrosUn

Hi, just recently starting playing with MapMagic on mac os. I am noticing that I cannot set group colors, whatever i select, it's still gray.

Also, i am getting weird behaviors on portals. Sometimes i create an entry portal that i cannot connect to erosion output(i get a red line) and others, while i can connect the exact same portal, i cannot create an exit portal that is linked to the same entry portal(i select it on the dropdown, but it doesn't really select it).

These do look like bugs, or something is wrong with my unity installation. Has anyone gotten something similar before ? Any suggestions ?

48. shebotnov

shebotnov

Also using MapMagic 2 demo scene from the MicroSplat integration, something is very wrong. The terrain itself does not contain the MicroSplat component, but being a demo scene maybe it should be like this? The terrain does use the MicroSplat material, just not the component

49. eaque

eaque

Hi,

I have an issue with vs pro. I must be missing something.
    I simply import my node in MM to generate the terrain and then i want to paint it with VSPro.
    The texturing is messed up with almost random texturing....

I don't want to use a node in MM for texturing. Is it possible ?

other question:
    -On my island i have a lot of rigged geometry on the shore line, is it possible to get rid of those with parameters?

thx

50. shebotnov

shebotnov

Did you look at the demo scene using VS pro included with MM?

eaque likes this.
unityunity