Search Unity

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

+1 to what taylank said. I'm guessing Vegetation Studio Pro integration is in a module now?

2. Wright

Wright

Biomes2.jpg

I've read somewhere that publisher can't sell the asset cheaper than in the Asset Store, but I might be mistaken since I can't find anything on this topic. If so, it doesn't make much sense buying modules directly. However, if anybody got more information about it I'd be grateful if you share it.

According to Asset Store Provider Agreement
    It is hardly my case since module is not an enhanced version, and it will be selling on AS too... but I admit it's ambiguous.

It is a compatibility module - it won't be sold separately, but is included with the core MM2 version. It won't be compiled unless you have VSP installed, but if you have - you won't need to download anything, you will be able to use it out of the box.

Daniel-Talis likes this.
  3. taylank

taylank

It sounds like they don't want you to use AS as a marketing platform while drawing customers elsewhere. Yeah I don't think this would apply to you since you'll have these modules on AS too once they get around to approving them for sale.

4. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

@Wright I was looking at your "locks" UI (making the circle on the terrain and resizing it)... and I was thinking for a future update can we get something like that for Biomes? I know VSP uses a visual tool like that for Biomes also.

It would be amazing if we could use a basic shape like the one used for locks and say, "hey, this is where I want my biome to be". Just a suggestion :)

PS: I know it can be done with nodes currently, but I was just thinking about how it can be made a lot more user friendly!

5. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

Still no sign of the core MM2 version on the asset store. I guess the current lockdown has either slowed or stopped things.

6. yngmab

yngmab

A few months back I submited an app in the AS, and it took 2 weeks to get reviewed... hopefully it doesnt get worse than that

7. Wright

Wright

Splines1.jpg
    When I was looking through AS Publisher FAQ yesterday I've noticed that the review procedure of new assets can take 14 days or more. It's the the edit of already existing asset that takes far less time. Haven't submitted new assets for quite a long time. So... so far it's going as it should, still waiting.

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Love the path on that image jou just posted.

Looking forward to try out that function.
    Is there also a function to distribute objects along a path with offsets?

For example I would like to add rocks to the side of the path

9. Wright

Wright

Just a quick reminder for those who have missed it:

MapMagic 2 core asset will be free, so any Unity user could create spectacular terrain with it. The core version will include all of the map generators and could be used with no limitations.

In addition to the free version, MapMagic 2 will have three addons:
    • Object generators
    • Spline generators (Beta)
    • Biomes and functions
    Each of the addons will cost $45 (except Splines which will be sold half-price while on beta). All MapMagic 1 users will able to get these addons for the half price. And as a small gift if you bought MM1 since January 1, 2020 - you will get all of the addons absolutely for free.

No, not yet. But splines module is still in beta, and I have this node in my to-do list.

10. allpay

allpay

I have attached issue which can't access submenus on map magic editor. Unity version 2020.1.0b4 beta

Attached Files:

11. JDrem1

JDrem1

I love MM, and think its without doubt the number 1 terrain asset on Unity.
    BUT...
    This "sales / loyalty method above, makes utterly no sense, and is just plain unfair.

So all the people, whether hobbyists on a tiny budget, struggling indie devs, or dev studios. Who purchased, and or saved and purchased Map Magic years ago, before it had the bells and whistles now. (Even pre MM2.)
    All those of us, who stuck by, and supported MM all through development...
    Have to pay for the new modules?
    Whereas, those who have only just bought it, now it has masses more content, and is even a lower cost than it used to be...
    Get the 3 modules for free?
    Seriously?
    With no hate, but with huge bewilderment....
    How in any good business model, or customer loyalty standard, does this make any sense?

Again, "with no hate" as MM is awesome. But seriously, treat your loyal customers fairly.
    Give us the same benefits as those who purchased recently, with more content, at a lower cost.

Thank you.

12. Aress28

Aress28

I buyed it years ago..np for me if i need play half for addon...i just want see it in store.... just refreshing Asset Store for days now and cant see it :( shame unity.... can i get all before they put in store?i will pay all amout what u set in Store :D
    and also do u include all textures i see in screen ? the one with biomes?

13. Wright

Wright

Objects2.jpg

I've got a similar report recently. I've asked the reporter to test the same on non-beta Unity version, and he says that this issue doesn't occur here.

You might have missed the line that states that ALL MapMagic 1 users will get ALL the initial modules with 50% discount. Even if there was no discount - haven't you got what you've paid for when bought MM1? When you buy say RDR or The Witcher game - don't you assume you'll get RDR2 and The Witcher 3 for free? Or at least for a half price? I don't know how can I be more loyal to the community - except, maybe, distributing all of my work for free to everyone. And, as you can see, I've nearly made it by releasing the MM2 core for free.

Some of the modules are already accepted. Waiting for others to publish them all. And don't blame Unity - I've still got to prepare the documentation wiki :)

Yes, with the biomes module.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  14. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Hi Denis, MM2 - Very impressive as always. We all appreciate your work and time spent. I'll cover JDrem1's 50%. :) Was reviewing the YouTube tutorials and found something that might throw people off a bit or Maybe I'm missing something => Tutorial Demo 2. Simple Graph: Maps moves into 3. Simple Graph: Objects at 3:01 when adding the trees using "the grass mask grass portal created from previous video...." - I don't think a grass portal was created in previous video? Height was the only one I think. Again , I may have missed it. lol

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  15. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

I think we are very fortunate indeed with such a sales/loyalty method. The Core will be free which is a smart move by Denis to get people using the asset. I don't mind paying $22.50 each for the addon modules. When you consider the years of work that have gone into this asset and what can be achieved with it, it's a bargain.

Wright and MagiSoftworks like this.
  16. sammi32

sammi32

@Wright
    hi,
    i have Map Magic bought 4 years ago, for me it is ok to pay a Upgrade Price
    wright makes a realy good Job, this tool is amazing and helps to bring a Indy Projekt to Live

I look forward to upgrading the asset and holding an even better tool in my hands :) :)

Best Regards

Wright and MagiSoftworks like this.
  17. JDrem1

JDrem1

Without trying to stir the pot. And as said in the original post, I honestly was not in any way hating on MM. Or the fact that you have up until now done upgrades free.
    "I think both you Dennis, and MM are awesome. I really mean that."

To address my point, and I was so pleased yo used gaming as an analogy...

No, I absolutely agree with you. When buying say a game, you would not expect the DLC 1/2/3 to be free. This is how the devs. You magical guys pay your bills.

However... if you were a Kickstarter, and bought into that "game" from the beginning.
    And followed it, and support it to friends, and on/or on social network, YT, forums, etc for years.
    And then saw that 3 new DLCs were coming out, and only people who purchased "the game" in the past 3 months were getting all of them FOC.
    But all the other 2/3/4 year dedicated supporters had to pay. Im sure not many purchases of "the game" in the analogy would be overjoyed.

This is one of those topics, that if your "flush," or "doing alright," its not really a problem. I would not have been writing on this thread years ago. But if you struggle to get by, its a different story.

And Sorry, yes I did see the 50% discount.
    But on the asset store, for some unknown reason, we in the UK, usually pay the equivalent in pounds to the US dollar. Even though the pound worth more on the currency exchange. But then we pay 20% VAT on-top at checkout.

So approx £45 x 3 = £135 - 50% £67 + 20% VAT = £80 The exact same price as Map Magic is now.
    And to me unfortunately this is a pretty whopping amount of money.

But once again Dennis, and my fellow MM lovers. This is in no way....
    1. A hate on MM, or (you) Dennis. You're both extremely valued, and respected.
    2. Nor is this in anyway saying that MM is not worth the asking price.

This was simply to say, that giving all the folks who purchased from January 1st of this year the 3 add-ons FOC.
    While anyone who purchased before has to pay, even at 50% off, the same amount as the full cost of MM now.
    and lets be honest, we "hobbyist, or devs alike" all want the full MM package.

Just seemed, odd, and unfair.

Just saying. :oops:

Wright likes this.
  18. JDrem1

JDrem1

Does this mean you will be purchasing my 3 add-ons MagiSoftworks... :eek:
    This is extremely generous of you...

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  19. Daniel-Talis

Daniel-Talis

I can see your point actually. But this grievance is true of all software purchased online. I pay in New Zealand dollars which has a tax thumped on top of it as well. So even with the 50% discount I pay NZ$42.54 per module. I'm not flush either, (I'm a pensioner hobbyist) but am still prepared to hand over the cash because of the quality of the product.
    I look at it this way, whereas some people spend money on alcohol and tobacco (etc.), my addiction is tools for world building. It always comes down to priorities..:)

20. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey,
    I get these gaps in with tree generation at the tileborders. Any idea how I can prevent that ?

Thanks !

21. camta005

camta005

The safe borders field in a scatter generator?

Wright and secondsight_ like this.
  22. secondsight_

secondsight_

D´oh ! Didn´t noticed that because I never had that dense vegetation. Thanks !

SLASH24 and camta005 like this.
  23. HoodedHorseDevelopment

HoodedHorseDevelopment

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and have purchased MM1, and I love it so far! As a programmer, I am most interested in ways to interact with MM1 via C# scripting. My first question: is it possible via scripting to load a previously exported/saved generator group/graph, and then call Generate(force:true)? I saw the 'change random seed' example in the scripting faq of the wiki, and this feature made me think that surely it is possible to do what I am asking. Could somebody kindly point me in the direction of a tutorial, or share an example to help get me started? Thanks!

24. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

Hey HoodedHorse,
    yes, loading a different graph and generating is definitely possible. I haven't coded that much yet, but when i did, i basically used the code from the mass pin functionality (the lowest section in the MM inspector) as a start and went from there. In general I'd recommend reading some of the mapmagic code.
    I'm not quite sure whether all the assets are included in a build, when one switches to a different graph so I just always kept one tile pinned in MM scene and made a specialized graph that included all necessary assets. At runtime one can unpin all, then switch the graph or change random seed and use the aforementioned mass pin. There are callbacks for when terrains are finished generating, which can be used to track the progress. good luck! :)

25. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

I'm really excited about MM2. I purchased the original a few years ago and I'm happy to support the dev again so we can get continued development of it. Keep up the great work @Wright

26. Wright

Wright

Thanks everyone for the words of support, I'm really glad to hear it! Trying to keep it up!

Biomes3.jpg

One module accepted, three are still pending...

27. truefx001

truefx001

@Wright in 2020.1.0b5 with MM1 it's not creating infinite terrains even with infinite terrain checked any Ideas? And so MM2 will be free just the Addons will cost $45 and for MM1 users 50% off right? Maybe I'm missing it but can you list the differences between MM1 and MM2 and have a fix for the bug that I just mentioned, please?

28. ko0zi

ko0zi

Sorry for the late answer, yes this was made for MM2 since I had issues with preview when using URP & MM2
    Sorry for the late answer, yes this was made for MM2 since I had issues with preview when using URP & MM2

29. Wright

Wright

Objects3.jpg

Unfortunately I can't guarantee the compatibility with Unity beta versions. Could you please try if the same issue occurs in any of the released versions?

Right. Plus additional 50% discount for Splines module since it is still in early access. So it will be $22.5, $22.5 and $11.25.

Here is the list of new features from MM2 Beta page.

You can find some information about the erosion node on wiki. If you still got the questions feel free to ask, I'll clarify and append the documentation.
    Seems you're using the wrong link.

If you could report these issues and describe the ways to reproduce them I could fix them on my side. It's me who should fix these issues :)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  30. HoodedHorseDevelopment

HoodedHorseDevelopment

@Wright So in MM2 should we be able to use different graphs for adjacent/connected terrains? Furthermore, will I be able to adjust which sections of terrains use which graphs via scripting? And lastly, could you provide any examples of such? Thanks!

31. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm guessing that the change to the new free w/paid add-on module model is what's causing review to take longer? Perhaps it's being reviewed as a new asset and not an upgrade, and I have heard from several other developers that process can take weeks even without any lockdown. Fingers crossed that they get to it soon, and either get it cleared for takeoff or get back to you regarding any issues.

As a longtime user/owner of MMWG, I'll weigh in to say that I'm okay with the new model and upgrade pricing. Sure, free would be better and I wouldn't say no to that :) but MMWG 1.x has been (and continues to be) a tremendous value and the support has been great. 50% discount on the 2.x modules seems fair.

32. secondsight_

secondsight_

I´ll just leave this here. After many years I think I´ve finally found the right setup and tech for my generated sailing / exploration / city building game. Using MapMagic and GPUI

More shots and zoom out video: https://imgur.com/a/GRTnbiI

33. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

That's beautiful!!!

Do you have any tips on creating overworld maps with MapMagic? I'd imagine just all the major features on the landmass have to be a lot smaller.

34. HoodedHorseDevelopment

HoodedHorseDevelopment

I second this! Would love if you could share tips or advice.

35. secondsight_

secondsight_

Thanks a lot !

Hmm... I think it´s very dependend on what kind of game you want to make. Scaling is the key here, at least it took me a great amount of time to find the right relations. In my case I also want a lot of details when in 1st / 3rd person for immersion sakes. So I had to find a middle ground between strategy game and action RPG. That also means I need a higher heightmap resolution.when fully zoomed in.

But if you need something like Bannerlord or Total War: Warhammer, the best solution is to use mesh blending for mountains or other large (natural) structures. For example the MicroSplat module works very good. You can create terrain assets or landmarks with World Machine or World Creator and blend them nicely with MapMagic.

If you have a static map, you can also create the heightmaps completly outside Unity and use MapMagic with a multi terrain setup to only generate trees or all kinds of game objects (settlements, castels, ships). A static map also makes it easier to use texture input layers for the different biomes, like masking the northern area for snow and such..

Also you could work in a much lower scale. For example, scale everything way down (like 0.2 or such). I have found out this has a lot of advantages: Much better performance, meshes still crips when scaled down and you can also use the unity grass for tree rendering (use images of trees instead of grass).

Here is a very old post with one of my first tries (with mapmagic and this project in general). https://imgur.com/a/rTZXf

P.S.: A good way to start is also to use a external map painting software (like wonderdraft... https://i.redd.it/omn6vdlf9uq41.jpg). It´s easy to use. This way you can map out where different areas are (like forsts or swamps) or how roads are layouted. You can then export the image into photoshop and extract mask maps for use in MapMagic.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  36. Wright

Wright

Package Test Status: In progress
    Biomes5.jpg

Hmm, you can do this in MM1 too. However, biomes are not bound to terrain tiles - actually, I try to avoid binding anything to the "tile", since it can change it's size and resolution. They use maps instead - either generated, like noise or gradient, or custom, throught the RAW or texture input.

I have not submitted the new assets for a couple of years and probably forgot how long it takes, or maybe lockdown is really the reason. BTW meanwhile I've submitted the new Voxeland version, and it was accepted in a couple of days.

37. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

Thank you so much for the awesome info! This is a great starting point. I wanted to create something like the old school RPG game (Final Fantasy 7 world map). So this info greatly helps.

38. psistalk

psistalk

MM2 is working well! I was wondering what demo graphs and scenes you are including with the Object generators, Spline generators, Biomes and functions addons? I hope there are great examples. I have use MM1 for years and loved it the MM2 beta is a great improvement. I can't wait for the asset store to approve them.

39. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I believe that a straight up new version or update is a simple process of checking and approving.

Even though MMWG 2.x is an update, what you're describing makes it sound more complicated than a new product. Essentially the new version is a new product - a free core application with a number of paid add-on modules. Further complicating matters, there is a discounted upgrade path. If I had to guess (and I have no inside information whatsoever, I'm just making a guess), some part of the change in your model and the upgrade process is something that members of the asset store team would normally want to discuss in a meeting. With everyone working from home, meetings might be trickier and that might be where things are getting held up. You might want to check in and ask the asset store support staff to ask about the delay. Maybe someone thought an email had been sent to you, and they're waiting on it being tweaked and re-submitted, or they're waiting for a response on a question... or some other relatively simple thing.

40. JDrem1

JDrem1

41. GamePowerNetwork

GamePowerNetwork

No it's not that simple as your first sentence states. All assets are taking a long time to approve, especially new ones. There are several assets that I've been following. Some took nearly a month before showing up. So it's not just MM2

42. ko0zi

ko0zi

To reproduce you simply had to use any SRP with MM2 and the preview shader for the terrain would be broken. This was like a month ago so I have not tested it recently, and I did at the time put up the issue on your GitLab page with the fix included. But I will check tomorrow on the latest MM2 build to see if it's still not working with URP/HDRP and report it to the site you linked if so!
    It was a simple tweak, feel free to use it however you like if it's of any use to you. I would just be happy to have helped with something :)

Wright likes this.
  43. Wright

Wright

Ok, it's nearly it - 3 modules ready, 1 to go - the free one.

Objects4.jpg

I'm going to start the new forum thread once the asset is released, and leave this one devoted to MM1.

Yep, seems to be true, it took three weeks for me.

No. To my shame I had not find time to even look into it, but I guess I'll do that soon to find new inspirations :)

I have fixed an issue with the preview in Unity 2018.3 a while ago, but I'll be grateful if you report it anyways.

These are the the graphs I'm making when recording video tutorials. Actually, I make them before the tutorials since there's plenty of excessive stuff I'm doing first :) But the thing is that they are the tutorial graphs, so you can start each video and follow it without creating the graph from scratch.

44. HoodedHorseDevelopment

HoodedHorseDevelopment

That's fantastic! Are those 3 modules available to purchase/download somewhere? They aren't on your publisher page, and a quick search on the store doesn't yield anything.

45. Wright

Wright

They are approved, but not yet published. I have to press the button on my publisher page. But they won't work without the main version, so yet I'm not pressing it.

46. treshold

treshold

Is there any tutorial for MM2 and VSPRO? I had MM1 working with VSPRO fine but now I find bit hard to grasp what should I do to get it working with MM2 beta meaning that in MM1 I had script added to include VSPRO in tile I created and
    according to this video:

now there is separate output but somehow even though I checked my script definitions I'm not seeing VSPRO output or any of the is in my node options.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    boysenberry likes this.
  47. ko0zi

ko0zi

Alright I see, I just tested it with a brand new 2019.3.9f1 - with URP template and the shader issues are there. I downloaded "MapMagic World Generator" and "Tools" from your Gitlab and imported in to the project.

The first problem is with the "Main Terrain" being invisible. To fix that you just change the material on the terrain to use Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit shader instead.

The second and real issue is the PreviewShader for the "Preview Terrain" that gets created when you click the little preview arrow in the graph view. The "Preview Terrain" is invisible probably becuase the shader is not compatible with the Universal Render Pipeline.

I'll report it to the site ;)

48. ScottKane

ScottKane

Will MM2 work out of the box with Voxeland? or is this something we will have to wait for integration with?

49. yngmab

yngmab

50. ScottKane

ScottKane

I hadn't seen that, thank you for pointing it out

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    yngmab likes this.