Search Unity

1. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Wright

Wright

AndyNeoman, could you please email me the full error text and the graph to reproduce it?

2. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

No problem, It will be in the morning though as it is late here now. I love the tool and I know some of my issues is just me getting used to it but these errors are slowing down the process. I will email you first thing (UK time).

3. malkere

malkere

4. dlevel

dlevel

Ok understandable :) @LennartJohansen also said he ll help you with that, so if you guys have a beta or something of the reworked node let us know, it can't really be used as it is right now :) Thanks.

5. Wright

Wright

Can't find any way to close or delete the thread - the only thing I can do is to rename it. I've removed all the links and posted warnings everywhere I could. Hope it helps.

Not yet. It has all of the main functions, but still lacks reliability.

You can try using it outside of biomes. Or if you could email me the issue detailed description with a project to reproduce it I'll try to do a quick fix.

malkere likes this.
  6. malkere

malkere

@Aress28 even without objects the terrain has a collider. Depending on the size/resolution of your heightmap that can cause a very clear pause, and would do so with any tool. That's part of the Unity engine.

7. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

So would you recommend putting the VS node on the mixing dataset instead of on each biome?

Also unrelated a simple question (i hope) if you just want to cover the whole map with one texture on RTP how would you do it? I know the background one would work but it would then mean all my biomes have the same background (I presume you cant reorder RTP textures for each biome has you mentioned MM only uses one).

I just want to have different base texture for each biome from the same 8 texture setup on RTP.

8. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all, Anyone recommend what node setup to use if you want textures only on certain height range?

I'm struggling getting the biome system working with Vegetation studio so i'm trying to do it on one terrain instead and want to separate the look by textures.

Thanks for any help,

Andy

9. ajaxlex

ajaxlex

@AndyNeoman there are a couple of approaches -
    1. using existing nodes, you can feed a height product into a curve, and then constrain the curve to a very narrow peak ( band pass ) that correlates to the area you want to mask. I couldn't find the image that Wright made, but it looks kind of like this:
    http://www.omegafilters.com/cms/wp-content/uploads/QMAX-curve-300x252.gif

2. I implemented a basic height filter generator in the repo here - its more specialized:
    https://github.com/ajaxlex/Map_Magic_Generators

malkere and AndyNeoman like this.
  10. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

That looks perfect. Thanks for the help and addition.

11. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hi,
    I'm testing biomes functions to see if I can benefit from it in my project.
    I made two different biomes: one is ocean, all the terrain is under sea level:
    upload_2018-6-9_20-33-12.png

The other is an island biome, with shores, hills and ocean:
    upload_2018-6-9_20-35-12.png

I want to blend these two together with the biome function, so I made masks from a noise node:
    upload_2018-6-9_21-16-25.png

But the result is rather bizarre:
    upload_2018-6-9_21-20-38.png
    If there is a blend between different height level, like land and ocean, the textures behave strangely as shown: shore texture runs into the water. And this is when I make the blending edge very sharp. If the edge is softer, all the shore textures will sink into water, and all land textures will blend some percentage of sea bed texture.

Did I made any mistakes using the biomes function or it is unavailable dealing with different height level textures blending?

12. malkere

malkere

That's normal because the biomes are blending. You're not defining your texture by height you're defining it by biome. The area that blends the two biomes together has both textures and will show whichever is stronger. If you want to be more specific with your textures I suggest you handle them outside of your biomes.

The best use of biomes is really for things above ground, badlands, forest, mountains. Things that can blend. Ocean is the problem we all run into at first, because no on wants grass and trees under water. Alternatively I suppose you could define ocean outside of any biome, and then all remaining land divide between your biomes.

Harekelas likes this.
  13. malkere

malkere

I went deep profiling my runtime terrain generation using MM to see just how much was actually collider baking, or what... Turns out 94% of my lagg frame is caused by TerrainData.set_detailPrototypes() ?? only 0.1% is caused by TerrainData.set_treePrototypes(). I have 16 grass textures ranging from 256 to 1024, mostly tga files in BC7 or DXT5... I'll try messing with things to see if I can improve this in anyway, but anyone have any ideas?

FYI, turning the grass on/off is not the problem, it appears to be the grass preparation engaged when the terrain is created after the grass prototypes are added.

14. Harekelas

Harekelas

As I can't see any height output from the biome node, don't really know how to restrain biomes only on land then retexture all the shore into sand. Would be very appreciated if you have an example graph for me to study.

15. dlevel

dlevel

Your mail seems not working (domain down?) anyway I forward it here:

so my explanation of the VS output problem is on page 60 on forum at April 10 and it's the following:

"I t seems that the Vegetation Studio Output generates a new default VegatetionSystem component for every terrain. That means that no render settings, or any other settings taking into account with VS, which makes the output unusable for now.

A good way to use it would be to have a pre-configured VegetationSystem prefab that can be selected in VS output, and have this one generated with every new terrain, is that possible?

In short what I mean is to just have the VegetationSystem Prefab of our choice for every VS output (different output per biome)."
    your response (for reminder):
    " I've talked to Lennart about it yesterday, we are going to make a prefab slot in VSO that will be used as a reference for all VS components settings."

So you might talk to Lennart again maybe he has something ready?

Thank you :)

16. malkere

malkere

I believe that is a limitation of biomes. They want to control personally anything you let them. So if you put a height output inside a biome it will take full control over it to the extent of the biome value at x,z (the biome input). The only safe way to go about it (that I know) is to control the height outside of biomes. You could give your biomes a minimum height of sea level maybe and let them work only above sea level for example, keeping the ocean biome on the main graph so it doesn't blend anything (what I meant in my last post).

It'd be tough for me.. well.. I might export/import my groups see if I can control only height on the main graph and the rest in biomes.... or hmm... I wonder what would happen if you had a height input on the main graph with say a constant 0.2, then in your grass biome a height output ranging from 0.2 to 1.0 and an ocean biome that subtracted 0.0 to 0.2. at 0.49 grass and 0.51 ocean you'd still be able to get below sea level and would have to have the sand texture totally overpower the grass texture... might be able to set the ocean texture output to a huge number since Unity normalizes them, so that wherever there's ocean, even in the blending zone, the ocean wins?

All in all I don't use biomes because of the water level problem.... never got it to work...

Harekelas likes this.
  17. Harekelas

Harekelas

upload_2018-6-10_19-41-1.png
    Thanks for the suggestions, I made some tests early today, used exactly the same noise node to determine the island's area, then I create one biomes contains ocean, beach and shallows, then another swamp biome with different texture.
    On the main graph, I set all ocean area to use the first biome, then put some onland areas to the swamp, got a pretty good result, but still there are other problems. If a terrain tile has both biomes, then all the textures used in both biomes will be added into this terrain, even the same textures will be added again.
    Another problem is the integration with vegetation studio, seems the output node also will be calculated more times than needed if a terrain tiles contains multiple biomes. I guess I'll just keep everything in one graph and deal with the lag in editor when editing.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  18. Harekelas

Harekelas

@Wright
    Is there a feature list for MapMagic 2? I'm very interested.

19. malkere

malkere

I suggested on Discord today a tab feature for MM2. Probably no where on the todo list, maybe something for the future. But a large graph does have really bad editor lag. If we could split one graph into different tabs freely, not unlike groups, or even hide/show groups, getting rid of the editor lagg would be cool.
    Untitled-1.jpg

Harekelas likes this.
  20. Harekelas

Harekelas

Show/Hide groups is a good idea, my graph looks like yours, huge amount of nodes, click anywhere I'll have to wait 2 seconds for it to respond.
    Maybe I can look into the grouping scripts and see if I can make a lock function to ignore those locked ones in editor update.

21. Aress28

Aress28

What about RTP tessellation its not possible for MapMagic?cuz its need some heightmap for every terrain?

22. malkere

malkere

RTP tessellation should work fine. MapMagic generates normal Unity Terrains. I don't think there are any RTP functions that won't work. I haven't used RTP in a couple years though, I forget what sort of data it uses to generate the effect.

23. Wright

Wright

Harekelas, malkere, speaking about the water and biomes - I thought it would be cool to have a biome node that have it's own inputs and outputs. This way you can have height nodes and height in the main graph, and textures, grass, objects, etc in the biomes. And pass the height to your biomes using those inputs. It's not exactly the portals between graphs, but it's the closest analogy.
    This is the feature called "functions", and it was the thing I was working on for he last two or three weeks. it required some major core changes, but now it seems to be working fine.

In case you'd like to make it using the standard nodes:
    HeightSelectorByCurve.jpg

Hmm, I've never encountered a lag from setting prototypes, but I suppose it could really happen. Guess Unity is creating a grass atlas, and the more textures it will use the slower it will be created. Will try to find a way to generate it once for all of the terrains, but I'm not sure if Unity allows to do that.

Oops, sorry, solving this problem with my hosting. Thank you for letting me know!

Try this. Have not tested it deeply, but seems to be working fine at first glance.

Here is what is planned for MapMagic 2:
    • Interface enhancements: major interface performance improvements, convenient way to apply curve or other node adjustments, per-node map preview;
    • All nodes will be resolution-independent: you can switch the resolution and get the same result, but more (or less) detailed.
    • Terrain LOD preview: terrain placeholders that will be generated way faster to be displayed at far distance and for editor preview;
    • Margins: the way to create borderless terrains with no visible seam without using "Safe Borders";
    • Functions: "biomes" with inputs, outputs and parameters exposed. Using them will make the graph more readable and allow to re-use the graph parts in other graphs.
    • Height, splats, objects inputs: MapMagic as an editor tool - you can sculpt the terrain manually and then let MM texture it or place objects. Or place objects and automatically create grass around them. Just to mention it's not the way Vegetation Studio works - grass and objects will be processed by MM per chunk and "baked" the usual way MM does;
    • Native C++ generators in editor (erosion, noise, forest - Mac and Win editors only);
    • If everything goes well - a couple of test spline generators
    It works, but works on the pinned terrains only - you need to save height data the standard Unity way and assign it to RTP manually.

EDIT:
    I'm thinking of opening each graph in a separate window, so you could place them or stack in groups the way you like using the Unity layout.

Talking about discord - feel free to join the MapMagic channel.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    camta005 and malkere like this.
  24. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thank you for the reply! MM2 looks amazing! Biomes node with input and output can solve many problems.

25. dlevel

dlevel

Seems to work fine! thank you :)

26. Aress28

Aress28

when we will see MM 2?Im interested in terrain sculpting...so i can fix some terrain parts i dont like.. :)

its will be possible to add raw input and fix places i dont like?

27. Wright

Wright

If you'd like to you can already see it on GitLab (email me your order number to get access). It has all of the features from the list working, but is not stable yet.
    Speaking about height input - it works a bit different: you cannot write to terrain if you are using it (i.e. reading terrain). There is no way to sculpt some parts leaving others generated with MapMagic. Height input is designed to be used with 100% manually sculpted terrain to paint it, scatter grass, objects and trees.

28. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I'm getting a great base terrain but i'm finding it difficult to add little tweaks. For example I want to have flattened areas and some areas lowered on my map so I can have water exposed which in my scene currently is at 20 which is below any part of the terrain. I have tried the obvious ones like flatten and shore but cant seem to get the control I need to achieve what i want.

Any tips on how to get a local area flattened for example. I can then add my specific RTP texture to this so the flattened area only has this texture.

Also lowering terrain to a certain level in parts?

@Wright have you got a fresh invite for discord? the last one has expired.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  29. camta005

camta005

The villages example uses scatter with flatten to achieve flat areas for the villages:
    https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/mapmagic/wikis/Creating Villages with MapMagic

Also this biome tutorial may be of use:

AndyNeoman likes this.
  30. Wright

Wright

Oh, discord invites are expired in 1 day by default, haven't been aware of it.
    Here, this one will never expire.

I depends on how you are going to determine areas that should be lowered. For example, you could use random points (objects) as in example camta005 linked.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  31. malkere

malkere

@AndyNeoman I use simple shapes as a mask for noise then subtract that noise from my main height to generate specifics. Mainly just to make sure the starting area of any randomly generated world is in my grass biome for the first couple kilometers, and is flat for the first hundred meters or so.
    Capture.PNG
    Something like this. You can use the offset to place it precisely. Without noise it will be a perfect circle. Or you could create RAW heightmaps in photoshop to add to your graph.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    AndyNeoman likes this.
  32. Aress28

Aress28

I send email to u with my Invoice number and Order Id. Thanks

33. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Awesome guys, thanks for all your great help and support. Hopefully I will have it nailed once I have gone through these tips. :)

camta005 likes this.
  34. dlevel

dlevel

About the VS output, is it possible to just have the Prefab and no package, and just spawn a clone of the VS on every terrain so I can handle there all the parameters.

35. Wright

Wright

MapMagic has to read vegetation items from package to apply them to terrain. It cannot read them from prefab since it can have multiple packages, and MM works with only one of them. It's unclear what package to use, so it should be assigned manually.
    Is there a problem in assigning package to MM node?

36. dlevel

dlevel

I tried the new output you sent me in your previous post but doesn't work, it doesnt create the VegetationSystem in tiles, or anthing in the hierarch. That said, it's much more convenient to use VS to handle heights etc. inside the VegetationSystem Prefab, than having to do it via MapMagic, also it seems much faster I think to just spawn the map in MM, and having VS spawn on top of that (so teleports etc. don't have the player drop into void because the map didn't have time to spawn because of the heavy vegetation spawning.

My goal is to just have the VS output spawn a clone of VegetationSystem prefab to every tile, and choose the terrain automatically. Like what the Infinite Terrain script of VS that @LennartJohansen made that I use temporarily till now, the problem with that is that I cannot use the biomes. So that way I would have a VS output node for each biome to just spawn the prefab I choose to every terrain tile and autoselect the correct tile (Terrain 1,1 for example) and handle all vegetation stuff inside VS. Would that be possible?

Keep in mind that VS prefab just uses the package you choose, and it works fine with the infinite terrain script that clones the prefab.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  37. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Hello everyone,

I have noticed that we can use height-map textures as stamps, which was a great revelation for me until i have realised that i am utterly terrible at making height-maps :(.

I was wondering that some of you may knows or hasd come across with techniques for making height-maps of rock-formations, craters, volcanoes, sinkholes, cracks in the ground or such; in short surface details in the form of height-maps for use as stamps.

Any help would be appreciated.

38. Poxican

Poxican

I updated my project to Unity 2018 today, and I started having a very strange issue with the terrain collision.

The terrain collision seems not to match up with the terrain rendering. They seem to match where the player is initially located, near 0,0,0 in the world, but then as I move away from that point they quickly no longer match, and the player begins to either pass through the terrain, or rise far up above it. There is definitely collision taking place, the player never completely falls, but they seem to be misaligned.

I found that if I disabled and then re-enabled the 'Apply Terrain Colliders' option on the MapMagic Terain Settings, it appeared to fix the issue at that location, but I can't find a proper solution.

I've had to roll back to 20174.2f2 for the time being. I have seen the issue in MapMagic 1.9.0, and the latest version.

Is this something anyone else has encountered? I can't seem to find any information about it.

Attached Files:

39. punkbot

punkbot

Hi there. I'm trying to write a custom generator that does some A* pathfinding on the whole map to generate roads, and for that I'll need access to the entire heightmap from within the generator.

Is there a way to access that data from within the Generate method? All I can see right now are ways to get the current generated chunk only.

Thanks!

camta005 likes this.
  40. malkere

malkere

I'm pretty sure MapMagic does (edit: does not! I have some kind of mild dyslexia XD ) keep a copy of the heightmap data in memory after generation. You would probably be best off just using GetHeights on the terrain when they're done. If you need to do it during generation, you certainly can write a generator to collect the data as MapMagic will pass over each x/z point of the heightmap, but it doesn't calculate data it doesn't need from other terrains.
    I'll bet if you got fancy you could ask it to generate specific locations. There is even a call method for that Calculate as shown here: https://gitlab.com/denispahunov/mapmagic/wikis/Scripting_faq but it's on the main thread.

protopop likes this.
  41. protopop

protopop

I dont have a generator for you, but https://terrain.party/ lets you generate height maps from real world locations. Maybe you could find a place on the map that has craters of cracks or mountains and use a generated heightmap as a starting point.

Or you could create terrain and craters in map magic itself - here is a video for making craters in map magic:

zoltanBorbas and camta005 like this.
  42. punkbot

punkbot

Ahhhh thanks, for some reason I was thinking chunks were smaller than the terrain itself, but "chunks" means each terrain. So I'm actually good -- only using one "chunk"! Thanks for helping!

malkere likes this.
  43. zoltanBorbas

zoltanBorbas

Thanks for the suggestion, i will thinker with that.

44. punkbot

punkbot

I've got my paths working on the terrain now, but I'm seeing a misalignment issue with trying to plot objects. The path is drawn as red debug lines in the screenshot, and my placed objects are the highlighted dots. At the bottom left of the terrain, these two are aligned, but the farther up or right you go, you can see the dots increasingly misaligned.

I have a SpatialHash in my generator and I'm just passing it a vector2 for each path node. It's the same vectors that are being used to draw the red debug lines, so I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Code (CSharp):
    1. for (int j = 0; j < path.Count; j++) {
    2.     outputHash.Add(new Vector2(path[j].x, path[j].z), 0, 0, 1);
    3. }
    Any ideas how to make these converge properly?

Attached Files:

45. malkere

malkere

What are you terrain size and heightmap resolutions at?
    This is one way to do it:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         void GetTerrainPositions (ref SpatialHash spatialHash, int terrainX, int terrainZ, int size, int resolution) {
    2.             float positionMulti = resolution / (float)size;
    4.             Vector2 position = new Vector2((terrainX * resolution) + (500 * positionMulti), (terrainZ * resolution) + (500 * positionMulti));
    5.             spatialHash.Add(position, 0, 0, 1);
    6.         }
    you need to make sure you are starting at the chunks zero (terrainX * resolution) which is just
    Code (CSharp):
    1. int terrainX = Mathf.RoundToInt(spatialHash.offset.x / terrainSize.resolution);
    and that you are using heightmap space not just global units. I use 128 res with 1024 size so if I want something at 500, 500 I have to feed it (500 * .125), (500 * .125).

46. Yoda3000

Yoda3000

Problems with CTS (Light areas are dark now)

Hi, I encounter a problem with MM and CTS. I use Unity 2018.1.0f2 and before integrating CTS, everything works great. But when I add CTS to the terrain and apply a profile, it looks like the shadow and sunny areas are switched. Did anyone else had this problem?

BTW: I use substance textures from GameTextures for the terrain.

See the difference here:
    Before CTS:
    BeforeCTS.PNG
    After CTS:
    AfterCTS.PNG

47. Wright

Wright

You can turn almost any heightmap into at least affordable terrain with MapMagic's adjustments. As you could see in the tutorial I was using just some brush blobs, then added noise, terrace, erosion in MM - and it all finally looks somewhat fine.

It creates a Vegetation System object as a child transform for each tile. Isn't it working in your case?

I could reproduce a similar behaviour only at the distance about 50000 units from origin. Occasionally testing rigidbody "dive" into terrain for unit or two. I suppose it is because of floating point precision issue. How far from origin it happens in your case?

Yes, the name "chunk" is a bit confusing mostly because Unity terrains have their own internal chunks. In new version chunks will be renamed to Terrain Tiles.

I don't know if this is related or not, but keep in mind that Unity terrain has half-pixel offset between heightmap and splatmap - for some reason they made a resolution POT+1 for the heightmap. Guess it was made for better vertex control - but then it's unclear why splatmap resolution is not the same as the height one. Anyways, terrains 1/2 pixel offset and sometimes it could be annoying.

Are you applying CTS with MapMagic CSO node or manually, the usual CTS way?

48. Poxican

Poxican

I'm witnessing this within 200 meters of the origin, so I'm certain it's not a floating point issue... Perhaps I could give you access to the repo and you could see for yourself?

I'll try to gather some more repro information this weekend, unfortunately I won't have much time to investigate before then.

49. Yoda3000

Yoda3000

It doesn't matter. I tried both ways and each time the result is the same. Looks like it inverted the normals of the textures. Perhaps it is a substance issue?!

50. belkovandrew

belkovandrew

Hello
    I'm trying to pin the terrain piece and getting this... it's somehow flat
    help please

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018