Search Unity

1. Full schedule for #UniteBerlin is now available! Featuring talks on our roadmap, hands-on labs and much more! Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Scriptable Render Pipeline improvements, Texture Mipmap Streaming, and more! Check out what we have in store for you in the 2018.2 Beta.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Wright

Wright

The problem is that you can't generate anything without creating a chunk. How complex should be the algorithm for scattering thee towers?

2. sfoust

sfoust

Yes, I've seen reference to chunk independence and it being a key part of MM's fast performance.

Since I'm wanting to allow players to travel to the base of these distant towers, my initial thought is to:
    • Create a lightweight horizon object generator node that only calculates if the object (tower) exists in the chunk and if so what its horizontal location is (I'm willing to live with a specified vertical position so terrain height won't have to be considered).
    • Extend the tile (chunk) draw and trail distance system (the one that decided when to draw or remove chunks depending on camera position) to include a "horizon distance" value for which only the horizon object generators are considered (in other words, evaluate chunks further away to see if any horizon objects (my towers) should be drawn out there).
    Again, this is just my first thought toward what I'm hoping can be accomplished. With out knowing anything about how MM works under the hood, this could be totally naive approach.

If what I'm hoping for is possible what's the best approach. And if anyone has already create a game where players are able to travel to distant objects, what was their solution?

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

3. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

Help! I want to use the Vegetation Studio output node, but it doesn't work.

It keeps erroring with this message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Error generating chunk: MapMagic.Coord x:0 z:0: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
    2. Parameter name: index
    3.   at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[AwesomeTechnologies.VegetationItemInfo].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x0000c] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:633
    4.   at MapMagic.VegetationStudioOutput.Process (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset gens, Size terrainSize, System.Func`2 stop) [0x000b4] in C:\Unity Projects\vs\VegStudio\Assets\MapMagic\Generators\VegetationStudioOutput.cs:138
    5.   at (wrapper delegate-invoke) MapMagic.Action`5<MapMagic.CoordRect, MapMagic.Chunk/Results, MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset, MapMagic.Chunk/Size, System.Func`2<single, bool>>:invoke_void__this___CoordRect_Chunk/Results_GeneratorsAsset_Chunk/Size_Func`2<single, bool> (MapMagic.CoordRect,MapMagic.Chunk/Results,MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset,MapMagic.Chunk/Size,System.Func`2<single, bool>)
    6.   at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.Process (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset gens, Size terrainSize, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1 changedTypes, System.Func`2 stop) [0x002c4] in C:\Unity Projects\vs\VegStudio\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:490
    7.   at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.Calculate (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x0001e] in C:\Unity Projects\vs\VegStudio\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:234
    8.   at MapMagic.Chunk.ThreadFn () [0x0005b] in C:\Unity Projects\vs\VegStudio\Assets\MapMagic\Main\Chunk.cs:224
    9. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    10. MapMagic.Chunk:ThreadFn() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/Chunk.cs:227)
    11. MapMagic.ThreadWorker:ThreadFn() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ThreadWorker.cs:533)
    It won't create the input options, it won't let me choose a different profile. Basically useless like this. What's going on?

Tried this on 2017.3 and 2018.1

4. Wright

Wright

sfoust, I guess it will be easier to scatter the towers first with a custom script, generate the heightmap around them with MM and place them according to this heightmap at a specified height.

A custom node to input the towers coordinated to MM could be used if you want to adjust the the land around. No, that should not cause an infinite loop as long as the custom node does not read towers' y position.

shawnepdmartin, can't reproduce this issue. Just tried MM 1.9.1 with VS 1.3.0 in Unity 2017.3, and everything seems to be working as expected. Does this error occur in a clear project, with only MM and VS installed?

5. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

Yes, I'm using 2018.1 though

6. Wright

Wright

Can't reproduce in 2018.1 either. Could you please email me the scene?

7. eaque

eaque

Hi,
    i have 4 raw maps from world machine (original size 2/2km) creating 1terrain?
    -Can i use them in MM to create a bigger terrain 8/8km with lot of tiles? i love those maps and would like to use them. :p
    -If i want to texture the terrain with vegetation studio should i do something?
    thanks in advance

8. Wright

Wright

You can use a single .raw image to create 8*8 or 4*4 chunks terrains. Set the "Scale" parameter of the RAW Input node to 8 or 4 respectively.

If you have 4 maps (i.e. 2*2) it's better to combine them in image editor. You can use 4 Raw inputs with different offset and then blend them together additively, but for me the first variant is simpler.

Just adding Vegetation Studio node to your graph should do the trick. It can have no layers at all and do not have to be connected. It will add VS components to every terrain chunk and assign the given VS data asset.

9. empirebattles

empirebattles

A quick question to throw out there:
    I know that trees and rocks and such will be re-generated if they are destroyed after a cell is deactivated and re-activated.
    Is there a way within the engine, to allow for trees, rocks, grass, etc etc, to be destroyed, and remain destroyed? Looking to get a dynamic terrain style system along with a randomly generated map for each game.
    I would be fine with a "generate entire world" at start of new game, but am not sure if that fits with this engine.

Haven't dug a whole lot as my time has been forced elsewhere recently, but i figured i'd toss the idea out to see if anyone had any ideas :)

Thanks

10. eaque

eaque

Hi FIrst many thanks for your prompt answer.
    I tried with other tools but using only 1 map gets a too big scale...but i never tried with MM so i will...

i thought of that, I suppose you think of photoshop (i dont have) i dont think i have raw input in GImp but will check. again.
    ok thx!:)

11. Wright

Wright

As far as I know Gimp's raw format is called .data. Haven't tested it with MM. Alternatively you can use Krita, it's free and it can create the proper raws.

You can use a hash set of all the removed objects positions. Use MM's OnApplyComplete event to see if some object is in the hash and then remove it right after the terrain is done before it is rendered.

12. wwg

wwg

This is what I imagined when you first announced the low-res preview terrains and I think it sounds like a good solution (as, long as the seam issue can be resolved). Since the seams would probably be far from the camera, they wouldn't have to be perfect...just not glaringly visible. Maybe there is some way to fake it?

13. Liquid_Z

Liquid_Z

I purchased this during the sale however, I'm having some issues. In the demo scene when I move around in first person, all off the grass and foliage rotates along with the camera. It's very disorientating. Is there anyway rotation of the grass and foliage to prevent this? I can't seem to find and answer to this.

14. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

So I got MM to work with VS finally. Still not sure what happened there but I just kept trying and it finally worked. Thanks for the help.

Now I'm trying to get CTS working. Actually, I think I do have it working but I'm curious about it. So, I got it to work by making the Custom Shader output and the CTS drop downs, etc. Your videos mostly helped, but one thing it didn't cover is the "Material Template", so I had to guess. CTS doesn't have a single material in it's package, so I assumed what you wanted me to do here was make my own Material and apply one of CTS's shaders to it. Ok, cool, that works so it must be right. Or is it?? I think it is.

Now here's where things get weird.

A) When I make an Erosion node and drag connections for cliff and sediment to the textures, depending on which textures I choose it'll either work properly or just paint the entire terrain with a random texture (and not the background texture!). Whaa? Weird. I can get it to work with enough fiddling, but something seems off here.

B) Here's the biggest issue. Say i get everything splatmapping nicely. Now I want to tweak the CTS settings of my profile. Guess what? I can't do that real time anymore! As per your instructions, I need to make sure the component isn't on any of the textures, and because of that I can't actually slide around in the profile because it's not applied at the moment. Do I really need to make a dummy terrain to make modifications, and delete it before I can load it up in MM? If so, that's super annoying. Do you have any tips?

PS. LOVE THIS ASSET SO AMAZING :):):):):)

15. shawnepdmartin

shawnepdmartin

I'm going to reply to myself because I did figure out one trick. I can have a dummy terrain setup and disable it when I'm not messing with the CTS profile. That way I can play with the profile, and see it affect the MM terrain as well. Hide the terrain when done.

Note that A) is still driving me nuts. I thought maybe something with my textures was wrong.. So I found a texture slot that was working right, and put a different texture from a slot that wasn't working in.. and guess what? It worked. So I don't what's up, is there a bug here? The textures won't apply in SPECIFIC slots, and when this doesn't work it just paints the WHOLE terrain one texture. So weird.

16. Liquid_Z

Liquid_Z

Read the documentation and figured it out. :)

secondsight_ likes this.
  17. Wright

Wright

Guess you are talking about a billboard grass. Glad you could sort it out how to switch to grass type to mesh in Grass Output.

Yes, you should use CTS material with CTS shader.

It's an issue I'm not aware of. Erosion node seemed to be rather reliable, it had no recent changes, so I suppose it's related with CSO. Could you make a video (or at least screenshots) and repost a bug here?

It's really strange thing that you have a problem with a specific slot. Theoretically they are using the same array and their algorithms are the same.

Do you have "Instant Update" checkbox enabled in CSO?

18. eaque

eaque

Hi,

I really like the desert node in picture page 1 so i took it. few questions:

-If i want to smooth the edges, what generator shoudl i use? flatten?

-Is it possible to add dunes desert in the middle of the map and this node around? I can play with masks but do you have already some nice settings for big desert dunes?

I wish i had bought MM earlier! ;) Fantastic tool!
    thx in advance

19. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I need a way to generate new ocean tiles as new terrain blocks are generated.

Is there an existing way to do this?

The ocean tile is a prefab the same size as the terrain blocks.

Should I use object placement to do this? ( It would be one object in the middle of the terrain.)

20. Wright

Wright

21. eaque

eaque

Page 1 on this forum you show some 3 examples with node pic. I copied the settings ...looks like desert to me!:p

:)

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  22. Funkeys

Funkeys

MapMagic_Island_TerraceNodeQuestion.PNG Hi,
    I have a issue masking out an area for the terrace node.
    I have a .raw input which is an Island including seabed and has a manual corrected coastline.
    I now just want to apply the terrace node below the water level, so the manual corrected coastline stays intact.
    Tried several approaches, and it seems with a curve I just can adjust the strength of the terrace node, but not remove it completely form a certain area?
    Later I want to apply a different erosion node on the above and the underwater part.

Please give me a push in the right direction how to achieve this.

br
    Funkeys

23. eaque

eaque

hi,
    i'm not a pro of MM, but looking at your node don't you miss a mask generator? i guess....

Funkeys likes this.
  24. eaque

eaque

then adjust the curve in the middle to protect your island....

Funkeys likes this.
  25. Wright

Wright

Do you mean the badlands graph?

If you want to apply a terrace or erosion node not to all of the terrain, but to some areas on it (for example those that covered with water) you should mask them using the Mask inlet. Now the only thing you need to find out is what the mask should be. It should have 1 when above the water height, and 0 when it's below. This mask could be created by taking your height map and increasing it's contrast with a curve.
    CurveContrast.png
    So eaque is right, using curve-adjusted height as a terrace mask will do the trick.

Funkeys likes this.
  26. eaque

eaque

no, i know badland is a node on github. I have it but to me the one on page 1 is much much better!!!
    there are 3 pictures under the video link page 1. I copied the one on the right! :p very very nice and once textured!! waouh! Only thing is i would like to have more cliffs per terrain so i will play with the settings!

1-I love it so much that i'm ready to rethink my map around MM. If i can Put a "sea sand" made of dunes in the center of the map i would be very happy....Do you have a nice dunes node setting to advice?

I display this node on 9 pinned terrains! i know you advice not to pin a lot of terrains. I have 6km/6km but would like to have 8/8.
    I have in my project 4terrains of 4000km res 2048 (WM raw +TC1) and noticed in UNity that they were not so consumming finally. I want those terrains to be always enabled for view distance or from the top of the mountain. I use Horizon ON for infinite background.

2-To get those 8km/8, what would be your optimisation choice?

3- i notice some kind of a fps drop every 5 seconds. Could this be related to MM settings. It used to happen time ago with the demo you provide. Is there a coroutine to uncheck or so??;)

Thanks in advance

27. Funkeys

Funkeys

Yeah great it works very fine! Tried this setup already, but had no idea how to adjust the curve.
    Thanks both of you guys :)

Attached Files:

eaque likes this.
  28. Wright

Wright

Actually there are 4 images :)
    Do you mean this one?
    MapMagic_5.jpg
    It's the same graph as in badlands biome on GitLab. Maybe, it was modified to make it look better on the screen, but the thing is that it's still badlands graph.

To put something in the center (of chunk or group of chunks) you'd better use Simple Form, Cone type (adjusted with a curve). Unfortunately there's no dunes biome preset available publicly I'm aware of.

Since you are going to keep them pinned try using the standard optimization approaches like increasing pixel error value or reducing base map dist.

I can't say without profiling. Are there any new terrains appear after fps drop?

np :)

Attached Files:

eaque likes this.
  29. eaque

eaque

Oups Sorry! :)

Many thanks i'll try to provide a profiler picture!! I must admit i don't know how to read that! SHould study it once for all!:p

30. eaque

eaque

upload_2018-5-17_21-16-4.png

if it can help?
    thanks in advance

31. Wright

Wright

Don't see any lag here. Except maybe GPU usage spike, but it raises up to 100 FPS so should not be noticeable, and since it's GPU it is hardly related with MM. I guess it's an editor lag. Does it happen in build?

32. snacktime

snacktime

So I need to automate terrain generation. It doesn't look like there is a supported way to do this purely via data. It looks like a good way might be to just have a 'generation' scene. Load that, create a new TerrainData and set it. Optionally load in a generators asset. Run the generation, save the TerrainData as an asset. Then just reload the scene and repeat.

Does that sounds like the simplest approach?

To reference generators I was going to just add a name field to Generator, expose it in the ui. So my code could find specific ones by name that it wanted to change the parameters on.

33. mmaclaurin

mmaclaurin

I am seeing a bug using infinite mode where terrain 0,0 is disabled mysteriously when the scene begins.

It just started happening while I was making unrelated edits to some props...

34. Wright

Wright

snacktime, what do you mean under "automate terrain generation"?

mmaclaurin, have you moved the pinned terrain? Do you have "Generate using: Main camera" is still enabled in settings?

35. snacktime

snacktime

I mean automate the generation of single terrains via code. Since MapMagick is a component it's tied to a scene, so the best way seems to be just use a specific scene for generation terrains, varying the MapMagick parameters and the generators resources file as necessary for each terrain.

36. Wright

Wright

Well, MapMagic class is MonoBehavior, but the graph itself is ScriptableObject, and it may or may not be bound to scene. What exactly are you going to do? Could there be convenient ways like custom nodes, input switch nodes or biomes?

37. Zoraph

Zoraph

Hi,

Let say I create a 5x5 terrain for an open world game, can I fine tuned all parts of it in every tile independently from each other to create event spots or villages with the brushes or raise / lower part of the terrain while still being able to return to the nodes and add generators without losing my manual changes? Also, for the multi tiling system, can all the tiles be edited as a standalone terrain with completely different parameters (except for the parts where the pieces connects of course)?

For example:

an island on 1 tile, surrounded by a square of water, than a beach, a mountain range, a desert, a massive chasm and some more mountain with a capital on top.

I need to be able to manually modify anything, be able to use Raw image, have roads and rivers and waterfall that I can dig if needed through the generated terrain without this messing anything.

I don't want the game to change every time, it mustn't be generated randomly it has to be controlled and the same.

38. eaque

eaque

thanks for your answer.Never tried in a build but i will!
    Thanks again

39. eaque

eaque

hi;
    i use a simple form + curveto mask the terrain but with multiple terrains i can not get the mask applied once it repeats on each terrain...i set tile in the simple form...what a m i missing??:oops:
    thx

40. twobob

twobob

Last edited: May 20, 2018 at 11:32 PM
    Gabriel_SG likes this.
  41. shedworksdigital

shedworksdigital

Hello,

we're getting a bug that only shows up on one team member's macbook pro:

FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
    System.Number.ParseSingle (System.String value, System.Globalization.NumberStyles options, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo numfmt) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/number.cs:1006)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s, System.Globalization.NumberStyles style, System.Globalization.NumberFormatInfo info) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/single.cs:230)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/referencesource/mscorlib/system/single.cs:212)
    MapMagic.Extensions.Parse (System.String s, System.Type t) (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/Extensions.cs:727)
    MapMagic.CustomSerialization.ReadClass (System.Int32 slotNum, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] classes, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] objects, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] floats, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] references) (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/CustomSerialization.cs:424)
    MapMagic.CustomSerialization.ReadClass (System.Int32 slotNum, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] classes, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] objects, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] floats, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] references) (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/CustomSerialization.cs:384)
    MapMagic.CustomSerialization.ReadClass (System.Int32 slotNum, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] classes, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] objects, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] floats, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] references) (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/CustomSerialization.cs:384)
    MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.OnAfterDeserialize () (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/GeneratorsAsset.cs:1130)

This error fires on startup, and prevents the terrain from generating. The terrain objects do get turned on, but they're completely flat.

He's running the project on a 2014 macbook pro, and the problem happens every time for him. I'm developing on a windows machine, though I have managed to run the project on my own macbook and have never encountered this before.

42. Wright

Wright

Could you post the screen of your graph?

I can't see anything extraordinary in this noise. Can't it be achieved with the simplex noise and curve? LavaLampNoise.jpg

Can't say for sure, but it could be an endian issue. If you could send me the graph asset file I'd open it on my mac to see if it's really so.

twobob likes this.
  43. twobob

twobob

very similar, thanks

44. eaque

eaque

upload_2018-5-21_20-13-50.png

45. Wright

Wright

Is there anything classified to the right of the screen? :)
    The resulting multiple terrains screenshot would be handy too.
    You can email me it. Just thought that the way of solving your problem could be useful for someone else.

46. eaque

eaque

:) yes! i wanted to keep it secret!:p

here is the result
    upload_2018-5-21_21-41-30.png

47. Wright

Wright

So you need to apply this circular shape to one terrain only? Then turn off "tile" in simple form, it literally tiles this form on each terrain. Use "once" mode.

48. eaque

eaque

i would like to apply the circle around all the terrains in one circle. As if it was tiled....??

49. eaque

eaque

i want flat borders to insert Horizon ON

50. eaque

eaque

here is "once"
    upload_2018-5-21_22-7-19.png