Search Unity

1. Unite Berlin 2018 schedule is now updated with talks on real-time ray-tracing, upcoming 2D features & many more. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.1 has arrived! Read about it here
    Dismiss Notice
  3. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. dlevel

dlevel

All good, it was my mistake,after the update I had to reenter the heightmap and I placed a slightly different one. Thank you!

protopop likes this.
  2. protopop

protopop

Right now my base map is a raw input. Its cool because i can draw out my islands or continents.

But what i i wanted to create an island or continent base map from a procedural node? Is that possible?

Something like this - here is my raw input, but im thinking it could be like a noise mode with a gain or contrast, where you could also see the resulting map in a thumbnail. Can we already do something like this?

3. dlevel

dlevel

well it doesnt seem to work, I found the scatter I want to change the seed and this is my script:

using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;
    using MapMagic;

namespace MapMagic
    {

public class newSeedMM : MonoBehaviour
    {

private void OnEnable()
    {
    MapMagic.instance.gens.list[186].seed = 12311;
    MapMagic.instance.Generate();
    }
    }
    }

also could I generate only changes? now the terrain regenerates and the player goes into void :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Wright

Wright

Right.
    Objects are not generated on LODs. Neither trees and grass. Only Height and Texture/CSO outputs.

Don't bother turning off colliders. As far as I know they do not affect anything unless there's something colliding with them.

There's no "whole map" concept in MM - it's an infinite land generator, so it simply does not make sense. All of the nodes work per-chunk only, but it does not mean that you cannot stretch your heightmap between several chunks. Each chunk can use only the part of the heightmap depending on terrain resolution and it's coordinates in pixels - the way RAW Input does.

Really great work done! Congrats!
    I'd eagerly include some of your screens to MM AS screens list if you'd like to - with your name and project link watermarks!

Sure. You can try something like this:
    Island5.jpg

Do you have any errors? Or what exactly does not work?

Here is the way to prevent character from falling through the generating terrain

5. protopop

protopop

Thank you:) It's already feeling continental. I thought there would be something like this. Because youve made things so atomic it really 0pens up the options.

I think it would be helpful if there was a thubnail of your heigtmap. Becuase you can only have one instance of mp magic, i only get this overview at the start when its manageably spread over 1 tile. Once im spreading it over dozens i have to pin them all and zoom out to see it. But if there was a thumbnail on the heightmap node i could visualize it in my mind. If generating a heightmap image is slow it could be a seperate node that we attach as a visualizer. Anywas not neccesay but just an idea.

OK I'm off to experiment:)

Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 7.26.32 PM.png

6. delinx32

delinx32

That's not entirely accurate though. It's a map generation tool, and if you are not using infinite terrain, and instead are using it for things like erosion, terraces, and object placement, then there is a "whole map".

I had an idea to have my node only execute once, then set a flag and not run again, but i don't think there are any end events to indicate that the current processing is done to reset the flag. I'll probably end up implementing my own event that fires at the beginning of end of the generate process, but if there is a way to do it without modifying the code, that would be ideal.

7. delinx32

delinx32

Here's what I went with:

I added an interface IInitializeable.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public interface IInitializable
    2.     {
    3.         void Initialize(MapMagic.MapMagic map);
    4.     }
    In MapMagic.Generate, I added the following prior to the chunk loop:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (force || instantGenerate)
    2.             {
    3.                 foreach (var i in gens.list)
    4.                 {
    5.                     if (i as IInitializable != null)
    6.                         (i as IInitializable).Initialize(this);
    7.                 }
    8.             }
    Therefore, implementing the interface on any generator will give it a first chance to do some stuff. So now, it can be used to generate any procedural heightmap that I need to create prior to the chunk loop, and still use the generator nodes to pass the initialized chunk data downstream.

It would be great if you could add something like this to the asset so I don't have to re-apply the change any time the asset gets updated.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  8. camta005

camta005

I think it would be a good idea to be able to set the size of the world (in chunks) so when the world is generated at run-time it doesn't generate unnecessary chunks. For example my game is set on a large continent surrounded by water and I don't need to generate the neighbouring chunks.

protopop likes this.
  9. protopop

protopop

You thought of everything - i just found the previews. Thank you

For reference right click a node and choose preview - in window. You can eve dock it and save the texture. Great stuff:)

10. dlevel

dlevel

No errors, the Seed doesn't change on the scatter, whatever seed I change too, the objects spawn at the same exact position, but when I change the seed on editor the objects spawn in other places.

about the rigidbody deactivate is a solution, but I was thinking for something that doesnt generate all the terrain :)

11. secondsight_

secondsight_

Thanks for your kind words ! They hit home to me because this is exactly one point I want to achive with this prototype at the end. I guess I´m on the right track then already :) I guess I also share with you the sense for the urge to explore maps and continents. I actually looked at the map on your website quite a while. Such an urge is the other force behind this project. And MapMagic (and Unity) now made that possible for me, because I myself want to play the game and get surprised !

As for your mediterania project...If you want I can share my Aquas materials / presets once you need them. But it´s very easy to tweak in general and of course you have to adjust it to your lightning anyways. By the way, I made some open ocean water today and generated some reefs: https://imgur.com/a/3JKLT

Also, thanks for the tips regarding the texture scaling. I had made a few tests with Distingo before, but I could never get it to work with MM. And for the texture blending and snow effects alone, I will get into MicroSplat at one point. But right now I´m just after the right scaling and biome testing as well as atmosphere and weather, whenever I want to have some fun. Other then that I´ll try to focus on my visual scripting lessons :)

@Wright
    I have written (a longer) email to you last week. Including to post whatever you like from the current stage of this project and some more (contact me for details).

I also had included a link to an older project build of a learning project. I also had posted some screens here (https://forum.unity.com/threads/map...ral-and-infinite-game-map-tool.390920/page-33). In this project I had the problem of my character falling into void on generation at one point. Glad I´ve found a solution to this above, finally :) Although I have no idea how to implement that yet...

Another thing I posted some time ago:
    I have some problems with refreshing / updating the terrain on generation.
    One easy example: I have unplugged all grass generators, but still MM renders all. It only updates once I put in a new grass type or make a change in general. But this is just one smaller issue. Other problems are preview on terrain taking sometimes ages to kick in, if at all,... seems on the terrain in my scene view that only vanishes once the camera gets close, generations that would go to eternity if I would not switch between gameview and editorview or refresh the scene otherwise. All seems to be related with not propper updating the generated terrain itself or the scene view.

All these effects happend on three different PCs over the time at one point. But all my graphes are currently still very basic compared to what I´m up to so I´m a little nervous about that. But I have no idea if that´s a MapMagic or Unity problem or what I could send you for further investigation. Sometimes a graph gets currupted. Even reimporting single groups into a fresh project won´t work anymore. Once I encounter that again, I can send you the exports. Other then that I guess you also would have no idea where to start, right Wright ? :)

ibyte likes this.
  12. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi Everyone!

In 30 Minutes I will be streaming live on my twitch channel www.twitch.tv/TheMessyCoder
    9pm GMT, 4pm EST, 1pm PST, 8am AEDT

I will interview Denis, the creator of Map magic + Voxeland
    So get your questions ready as you can ask him Live on stream!

Denis will be teaching me how to use Map Magic to make a world, while I am streaming, please be gentle with me!

I will be giving away Map Magic & his terrain tool Erosion Brush! Get yourself on twitch, click follow and prepare to be a winner!

13. secondsight_

secondsight_

So , I´ve found a workaround for my watchtowers.
    PSA: It seems in general, nothing should be linked to any object or object behaviour outside of the spawned objects. (Still no idea if thats playmaker or MM.) I worked around that by requesting a bool variable if the object is active or not instead of the object or behaviour itself.

I was so happy that I made whales that can be discovered and patroled next. Generation works... kind of...

Okay, I´m officially to stupid for scattering. Please someone explain this to me !
    I want to generate patrouling whales around my islands of 4x4. I wish to have 2-5 whales spawning on the water only (made a mask). Anyway, I´ve setup a scattering node.
    I get no whales from density 15 but 1 whale per tile from 16.

How can I achive what I´m looking for ?

edit: 15.26 seems to be the threshold ... for whatever reasons :)

14. Wright

Wright

I've got good news for Vegetation Studio users: I've let you talk me into writing a VS node for MM soon. So I decided to postpone MM 2 for a week and dedicate this time to VS integration. So you can expect MM2 in a middle of March, and, if everything goes well - VS node in late February.

delinx32, it's you or other level designer who works with MapMagic have a "whole map" concept, but not the MapMagic itself :) Every node work on per-chunk basis only, and while generating any of the chunks it cannot affect it's neighbors in any way. At least it should not since the chunks are generating in their own threads.
    There's really a way to read a single heightmap by all of the chunks without changing MM code - just let a custom generator in each chunk read the corresponding part of the heightmap.

Oops, it should not compile at all. Here is the right code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ((MapMagic.MapMagic.instance.gens.list[186]) as ScatterGenerator184).seed = 12311;
    2. MapMagic.MapMagic.instance.Generate();
    It's not you who is stupid, but it's the way MapMagic work :) It was discussed just a few posts above - it cannot spawn 0.125 or 0.3 objects per tile - only the whole number. I will try to make the scatter node spawn object at random if the count is below one per chunk.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    ibyte, malkere, recon0303 and 3 others like this.
  15. dlevel

dlevel

what ScatterGenerator184 means in this code? the debug number is 186 why shouldn't I use ScatterGenerator186? Or is that another identifier and where can I find those? :) btw it works, just need to understand the identifier of ScatterGenerator184 so I can use it for other generators too.

16. Wright

Wright

It's just a class name. A scatter node that was introduced in MM 1.8.4. To distinguish from the legacy scatter nodes.

17. Gandamir

Gandamir

Here is a suggestion from Wright that I use myself:
    I use this together with the village spawning method in order to spawn a group of objects on some, but not all, of my map chunks.

If this is a method you want to pursue, let me know and I will try to grab some screen shots of my node map for you. :)

boysenberry likes this.
  18. delinx32

delinx32

I understand what you're saying, and I don't want to argue about the intent of your asset. I think the ability to pin areas of interests and dynamically generate what is in between is awesome. In your own tutorial video, you feed map magic a height map (which is a "whole map"), then let it create the terrain based on your designed height map. The result is an island, which by definition is not "infinite terrain".

Chunks can be separate but interdependent, For example, say you pin two areas on opposite sides of the map so you can place cities. It's not inconceivable that you might want a road to travel from one city to the next. If there is a mountain in the middle of your island then you'd want the road to travel the map with respect to the terrain. There may also be places where you have to raise/lower terrain where topography is unavoidable. So you might have to have a road run all the way around the island to create a route between cities.

It's also not inconceivable that you might want a river spanning several map chunks or several rivers that start at lakes, flow together, and run to the ocean. For something to cross multiple map chunks, it would have to be calculated prior to the chunks being calculated.

I may be wrong, but I think that currently, the workflow to create two cities with a road between them would be:

1)pin both city terrain tiles and each one that the road will pass through
    2)modify the terrain to create the road with a spline tool/manual terrain editing after the map is generated.

Do you see a different way that does not require pinning each terrain and/or manually adding a road?

If the flow is indeed the above, then it presents a problem in that the manual road generation will not benefit from map magic's terrain sculpting and would look out of place in the final product.

The flow I want to use is:

1)Create a design map that determines many of the key components of the map. This would determine where lakes, rivers, city, and roads are.

2) Feed that design map to map magic to do fine tuning. Now that map magic knows where the water/roads./cities are, it can appropriately modify the terrain PRIOR to erosion/terrace/noise, etc. It can use these values as masks to determine what to flatten, where not to place scattered objects, etc.

Now, my step one isn't really much different than creating a heightmap and using the RAW importer except instead of just a height map, it contains more data about the world for map magic to use to create the procedural elements.

Now I admit that what I'm asking for is nothing more than a convenience for me. Prior to implementing the initialization code, I basically had to click generate on my own custom component, then regenerate map-magic, which made it a two step process. Now that I have the initialization, I can integrate that directly into mapmagic and not have to manually generate my stuff prior to map magic's generation.

protopop likes this.
  19. secondsight_

secondsight_

Thanks Gandamir for posing this ! I´ll try to understand and implement this with my little coding knowledge :)
    I´ll probably come back to your offer with the node shots. Anyways... I´ll try it out and let you know !

Gandamir likes this.
  20. protopop

protopop

I don't use Vegetation Studio but i am very happy to see MapMagic is extensible in this way . im hoping for integration with products like the upcoming Cascade or EasyRoads, or this procedural road tool i bought : https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/terrain/instant-road-path-90731 either through an official node, or if we can write them ourselves

I should look at vegetation studio too - right now i dont understand how it is better than MapMagics default - does it offer more options or something?

BTW if anyone has other solutions for making roads (and by extension, rivers) in MapMagic please i would love to hear them - ive been experimenting with MM and i think with extensibility like Vegetation STudio there could be a lot that could be plugged into the generator.

21. protopop

protopop

Thanks I would love that actually:)

For your whales, what about pooling them to increase performance?
    Like have one "Whale Pod" component with a large, scaleable trigger collider.

When the player exits the collider, the component is moved to a location ahead of them. The number of whales shown and the size of the trigger would be randomized every time. You could show different varieties of the sme whales, and would have a lot of whales but really just be using the same pool of a few. This is the system i am working on for Residi Bay.

By the way +20 points for having whales:) Dont forget the whale singing - its so haunting.

There is a 200 year old whale named Gossidan in BrightRidge, and players swim with him all the time. it's great to have them in games.

The whales fro Abzu were a real experience too.

EDIT: I really like the new reef - like how you can see just under the water, and there is this hint of low lying sandbars or coral or just swaying vegetation, and how you can see the sand but then it drops off as you move into the deeper blue of the ocean.

Also cool is the lone light of the LightHouses - i mean, thats how they operated in real life, so there kind of something relate-able when you see it in your game, like not only are they mechanical gameplay elements to clear a map a la Far Cry or Assassins Creed, but also flavorful real world touches in their own right.

secondsight_ likes this.
  22. recon0303

recon0303

Nice to see VS. What is MM2? going to be about, I been out of the loop any info on it?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  23. recon0303

recon0303

Yes, Lennart is the developer of it I was a beta tester of it and own it currently using it for our new Steam game. but I would look at the asset, there is many useful features and much more... I rather not go on and on in MM forums, but I would check it out and van vouch for it.

protopop likes this.
  24. protopop

protopop

I'm having fun in my quest to make a procedural version of Nimian Legends continent. If anyone has any comments or suggestions on anything i would love to hear them

I am learning there are 2 basic approaches to continent design:

1) Use a hand drawn height map
    2) Generate the whole thing procedurally

I'm focusing first on the hand drawn map, because i already have one, and it seems more difficult than doing it fully procedurally.

I also think my first actual large scale game map will be a much smaller island (like the one under the word COAST on the map). But i can apply the techniques i am testing here on a smaller scale more easily than i can upscale a smaller scale to a larger one, i think:)

So first i took my pre-existing hand drawn map of Nimian Legends:

nimia-chop.jpg

And i converted it into a RAW heightmap outline for MapMagic, and i used an inner glow to simulate basic higher (mountain) regions inside the map

nimia-height-512-mix.fw.jpg

I quickly learned that this kind of high contrast heightmap gives you VERY sharp coast edges. So i looked at real hightmaps for inspiration. I found one of Ireland created by AlisterGregory

https://imgur.com/gallery/azWpfWK

You can see that most land is actually quite dark, with the white parts of the heightmaps restricted to mountain tops

Running a test we have Ireland in MapMagic :)

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 3.43.00 PM.jpg

So my next test had a darker base for my continent map, with heightmaps of mountain ranges just ohotoshopped on top of it. If you did a real heightmap, you could either draw in some white opacity paint to generally detail where mountain ranges would go, use this tehcnique, or anything in between. The result is a RAW heightmap you can stretch over many MapMagic tiles to make a base for your continent:)

Nimian Legends map in Map Magic:)

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 3.55.43 PM.jpg

My next step is to try something similar but fully procedural generated.

For example this landscape below is fully generated, but i need to figure out how to layer scaling so i can make smaller chains of mountain ranges, instead of one big mountain group in the center, and also create variation between mountain ranges and plains. This is easier when you hand draw it, but it would be cool to have a 100% generated landmass because you could have near infinite explorability

continent.jpg

The main continent map would be combined with more map magic layers at smaller scales on a per tile basis to give biome variability across the map:)

25. secondsight_

secondsight_

This is a nice idea for randomization for later, when I have enough whales in there, on top of my current system. But in the end I want to have "named" Whales. Currently you have to find them first and you have a small (random) timeframe when they surface (and blow + sing). If you trigger them, the will from now on be visible on the map, but only when they surface. From then own, 5 seagulls will signal the whale from afar. They will also function as a "healthbar" later on as they get reduced if the player hunts and hits the whales. Currently they also stay under water for a random time and change the direction offset. It actually works pretty well already,... so proof of concept. But enough for whales in the MM forum :)

@Wright
    Regarding my refreshing problems I have posted earlier... I noticed something:

Currently (still on Unity 5.6), after I exit playmode, the MM editor window is often greyed out / no nodes are visible. To reactivate that, I have to click the MM object in the hierarchy and / or sometimes also the have the inspector window open. If I take these steps, everything works fine. But I work on other objects and just hit the force generate button, MM generates to eternity if I don´t activly click the MM object in the hierarchy again. Then the editor screen refreshes instantly.
    I witness that yesterday because no preview on terrain was working until I clicked the object and the inspector window.

Could that help identify a problem ? Am I the only one having these problems (on three different PCs) ?
    Anyways, since I know now what to look for I shall be fine.

26. protopop

protopop

Wow! Your game mechanics are super solid - that sounds like an imaginative and intuitive way to indicate health, and the idea of finding whales is something that sounds like good exploratory gameplay.

Screen Shot 2018-02-11 at 4.56.52 PM.png

As for cintinent building, im seeing there are usually multiple ways to do things with MapMagic. Here im mixing a Voronoi eroded layer with a BLEND node, with the same layer curved and subtracted - i can start to see how small continental chains of mountain ranges mixed with flat plains might be generated. I am also thinking it could be done using noise. So much fun to play around with MapMagic i have to be careful because my afternoon has gone right by :)

27. secondsight_

secondsight_

I´ve updated my reefs a little and reworked the terrain. Thought I´d share:

Editor View

Game View

And @Dwight... I have a big wish... again. I remember the first post I´ve made here in this forum was the request for a height node like in world machine. The curves are nice and all, but sometimes one needs absolut precision.
    In relation to my max height, do you have any idea how long I´ve tweaked to get that shoreline right ?
    To enter a value I have to click on the graph point. And then it often was already to late.

I needed it anyways for the lighthouses and some palm clusters later (by the way, does anyone have a good source for cutout trees ? Some architect around ?). So please, please, please... can we have a height node for 2.0 ? ;)

The max height also leads me to one question:
    If I want to have biomes later... they should at best all have the same max height, right ?
    Say I want snowy mountains mix with these islands for example. In preparation for something like that I have my max height at 750. The islands are at max 70 (sea level is 20) . So to modify the beach, I have to operate in a very small scale. Thus the height node request.

ibyte, malkere, boysenberry and 2 others like this.
  28. Er_ellison

Er_ellison

guys , i have a problem here ,
    i have two unity projects => one for game and second one for testing stuff
    i built thing in test project before i implement them in my main project
    so i built a terrain in test project and then save the terrain data (map magic terrain data) and then imported that data into my main unity project (the one that my game will released from) and now when i build apk , game crashes , i don't know what to do ??????? i'm really confused , then i reimported the map magic unity package! it also did not helped !
    here is a strange thing though ...
    i had a scene which i built a map magic terrain before i imported the terrain data from my test project , and when i built apk with that , it works ,
    guys i really worked on new terrain for days now and i don't want to skip all of that effort of mine and rebuilt again , please help me figured it out !
    the problem is when i built apk with new terrain , it crashes on my device !!!!!! unbelievable !!!!!
    i also tried to create a new simple terrain and test on that , but it crashes too !!!

29. Gandamir

Gandamir

I went ahead and created a sample for you. Since I couldn't figure out how to add an image here, I added it to imgur instead: https://imgur.com/3HhhqWW

The scatter places items on every tile, and then the "Randomly Clear" removes them with a 20% chance to remain on the tile. This allows for having certain entities show up, but not on every tile.

protopop and secondsight_ like this.
  30. Gandamir

Gandamir

Wright, I had an idea today for adding SubNodeGraphs. These would be similar to biomes, but would include some portal functionality.

My thinking is that the SubNodeGraph node not only have a mask, but also the ability to have inputs and outputs. This would allow reuseable components of nodes, for example for placing cities, industries, or similar. The attached image (duh! figured it out) shows an example of 5 incoming portals, and 4 outgoing.

This would simplify reuse of definitions for times when we have multiple map types that all need to place say cities on the map, and will use the same flattening and placement techniques.

My thinking is that the node would inspect the currently defined data to see how many "IncomingSubNodeGraphPortal" elements exist in it, and how many "OutgoingSubNodeGraphPortal" exist and render based upon those factors.

Let me know if you need me to hash this out a bit more for you. :)

Attached Files:

31. secondsight_

secondsight_

This is fantastic !
    I´ve tried the same approach but in a very complicated way with playmaker, haha. Didn´t work out the way I hoped so I´m happy you made this. How can I get my hands on this node ? Cause there are still to many whales in my oceans :)

32. Gandamir

Gandamir

It was in my first post to you, but here it is again. :)

33. Er_ellison

Er_ellison

actually this take me one day to figured out (after building and testing 45+ apks) and the point was i used jpeg formatted file for land texture , and this is crazy because nothing was obvious about this i figured it out after almost 45+ builds , i don't know what to say but it was f******* boring to handle this issue after i changed the format type to .tif (because it supports alpha map on file) it is been solved !!!! no my game flies like a bird !!!!! thank you every one for not helping me !!!!

34. secondsight_

secondsight_

Sorry, I´ve totally overlooked that ! Will definitly test it tonight. Thanks again !

Gandamir likes this.
  35. Wright

Wright

Confirm. Issue.

Okay, enqueued.

Try removing MapMagic completely to see if it's the root of the problem. And if the project will build remove all unnecessary from, store it somewhere and email me the link.
    EDIT: glad you've sorted that out!

Yep, it's planned for v2, this feature is called "functions". It will work a bit different, thought, and will have nothing to do with portals. It will be like a biome with no outputs, but two nodes: "Function In" and "Function Out". I'd also will try to make node parameters exposed the way it's done in Substance Designer, but I don't know if it will be possible yet.

36. Gandamir

Gandamir

As long as the number of inputs/outputs of the "function" are variable then that should work great.

When can we start beta testing it? I'm a long way out from release, so would love to help out if I can. :)

37. secondsight_

secondsight_

Thank you very much ! :D

38. Wright

Wright

Sorry, I've missed that:
    You are not bound to use RAW Input only for heightmap. You can use it for any kind of mask, including masking of the scatter node.
    BTW there's a node called Texture Input, in can use unity texture instead, it might be more convenient.

Actually you already can start fiddling v2 from GitLab, but you will not see any difference since all of the main changes are under the hood. In the middle of March I plan to add/expose/finalize all the features from the list and make them more or less usable.

protopop likes this.
  39. Gandamir

Gandamir

Speaking of height maps, any chance in support for OSM data? It would be great when making real world maps as it contains all kinds of data in addition to height such as buildings, rivers, roads, etc.

40. protopop

protopop

I especially like the blue lagoon area - it feels like there's a lot of interesting visuals going on hear, and like you could set up a small home and fish or be careful not to be shipwrecked. The lighting on the beach view is great too. I work on mobile so i dont always get access to some of the nicer features, this looks really nice on PC.

I second a vote for Height node. I run into the same problem (of which there are very few in this great app:) where i try to move the graph point, but when your dealing with landscape heights it becomes tricky to move it in precise instruments or recreate a specific number. A node might simplify that, especially if you could adjust it in small floating point precisions.

41. protopop

protopop

Does anyone have any insight to the best way to make mountains?

Right now i am building them as a build in feature of the biome.

But im wondering if its more flexible to build a landscape and layer a non mountainous but mountain flavored biome over plain mountains (from a raw input). I guess creating good erosion on a large scale you need to use the first method.

Im wrapping my head around the fact that a biome can change depending on your latitude/longitude, but also as you go up in height - so its snowy in the north AND at the top of a mountain in Africa.

Maybe i should be trying both?

biome.jpg

EDIT: What i am thinking now is maybe practice to separate my "macro" phsycial land shape biome content from the texture, detail and "micro" land variation biome content?

42. protopop

protopop

For years i have been uploading an image to my server, copying the link, clicking he picture insert button, and pasting the link on this forum. (i have a server full of my simple drawings like the one above because of this:)

yesterday by accident i found out i can just position my cursor in my post and drag and drop up to 5 images into the posting. Maybe that will work?

Gandamir likes this.
  43. Wright

Wright

Don't really know the way vector drawings of roads and houses could be used in MapMagic. If it were terrain relief heightmaps it would be cool to use the node that reads world heightmap from the Internet. Does OSM data have any heightmaps in it?

You can have height output in your main graph, and some biomes for texturing that use the main graph heights as a masks.

Personally I use "Upload a File" button next to "Post Reply"

protopop likes this.
  44. Gandamir

Gandamir

OSM data does contain heights, but not sure if it is in "heightmap" format.

What it does have is a bunch of points and their elevation. These can then be used to create/determine relief maps that are probably what you consider a height map.

As to roads, being able to use the data from OSM to place highways once you have added road support would be great. There is also data on Rivers, Lakes, Forests, Farms, and so much more. The full list is here.

The full OSM data set as of about 2 weeks ago is around 38 Gb. This can be pre-processed to retain only the items needed for map creation (remove types of shops, etc.) which would compress it down by quite a bit. If the "fluff" represents half of the data (if not more), then you can have a full data set for a real world map in about 20 Gb. Not too bad in my opinion. :)

After that it is just a question of scale for OSM => MM, along with how to make it into a globe.

Speaking of which, how do you make a globe with MM?

45. Exbleative

Exbleative

Will this work with dynamically/infinitely generated terrain? I've tried another similar foliage solution but it has its drawbacks and is awkward to use. Pretty sure I saw the author of VS saying that real time procedural generation wouldn't work, but perhaps MM solves this? Would love to see an MM integrated foliage solution that uses instanced indirect rendering and pools the data so there aren't constant spikes from generating/removing grass/trees and subsequent garbage collection.

46. empirebattles

empirebattles

Just now finding this amazing tool, and looking into whether or not it will be the right choice to purchase for my project (i believe it is, but am not exactly sure how this can be applied how i need it to be).

My goal is for the world to be dynamically generated for each play through (naturally, the map/game is saved for the player, so when they load the game, they are continuing the same map).

However, the map is going to have multiple biomes, and applicable sections within said biomes. The general concept is to have a center point, 1 layer surrounding 'chunks' that are a more dense generation of said biome, and then 1 layer around that of more sparse environment. The layer on the outside of the sparse, is also sparse, but it blends into the next biome of the same structure (but different grass, trees, rocks, etc etc).
    These biome 'borders' are the same in each map generation, however, the biomes that generate at each location will vary for each playthrough. Depending on the size of the game, there can be anywhere from 5 biomes to 9 biomes in play, (with each of those 5-9 biomes randomly selected at game start).

I've started to play around with the demo, but before I start going too crazy, I just was wondering if this was possible, and if there was a 'simple' way to do it? I can sort of see how to do this with preset biome choices....but as i said. I only just discovered this, and am still poking around :)

Thanks for any info

47. Wright

Wright

I will look into OSM when I'll be looking for SRTM alternatives - if I will be making "real terrain" or "earth" node.

What do you mean under the "globe"? You can't make the terrain round. There's a proposal of making a terrain repeatable, but it's under considerations yet.

It will. That's the main reason I'm doing it.
    BTW I'd like to thank LennartJohansen for being conscientious and responsive developer. He changes his code for MM needs literally in realtime! Vegetation Studio is wonderful asset from a great developer.

You can always try an evaluation version just to check it out :)

That's possible.

I don't quite get it how the biome could be "dense" or "sparse". It's obvious for the objects, trees and grass, but how the height or texturing could be dense? You can set the density of the objects with a tiled mask or cone adjusted with curve in a sort of crater in each of biomes, and just blend them together the usual way.

48. empirebattles

empirebattles

Yeah, i've got the eval;
    The only thing that would be 'sparse' in the biome would be trees/rocks, etc. Sorry if i worded things sloppily.
    The biggest thing i'm trying to figure out is how it all would be applied (dont have a lot of time to play with it until sunday, so i'm doin as much learning as i can through the documentation and a few videos that show things in action).
    As long as i know that it CAN be done, i know i'll get to it once my hands are available :)

49. Jarko89

Jarko89

Hi guys,

I'm here asking for a little help. I'm generating terrains with MapMagic (using the Biomes features and CTS). Everything is working fine, but now I need a way to prefab the terrains generated in the scene. I've used scripts to do the job in the the past - this for example is a well known one:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tnb3v1s6r5h1ss0/ExportTerrainData.cs?dl=0

They won't work in this case. The heigthmap of the terrain is exported, but the splatmap is not. Unity complains that TerrainData is missing splat texture 0, and of course the prefabbed terrain is all black if I put it in a scene.

Anyone knows of a solution? Thank you!

50. Wright

Wright

Yes, this could be done.

CTS shader does not rely on terrain splat map, but on control textures named "_Texture_Splat_1" - "_Texture_Splat_4". You will have to save them also - and the terrain material too.