Search Unity

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

I haven't updated to 1.8 yet, but I've been using 1.7 on my MacBook Pro for months without any display issues. I usually use a 1080p external monitor, but I also occasionally use the built-in retina display.

I couldn't find the review. Perhaps it was deleted.

2. secondsight_

secondsight_

Did a quick color correction on the trees. I´m still hard in WIP mode but here are some shots. I´m starting to like it:

LINK

edit: P.S. : I have a question
    Since there is not dynamic navmesh available in unity 5.6, will it work with MM ? Haven´t updated yet.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  3. malkere

malkere

@secondsight_ The collision problem is a Unity problem fyi, I've run into that in tests a lot in the past. Too many colliders in the scene will just break the physics. You're pictures look great! Is that MM noise generated or WorldMachine? Putting my gameworld to shame XD I've been coding too much... time to improve the looks!

By the way uNature has it's own output for the MM node editor. You just output to it and it gets fed into the uNature system. It's around 90% working so far, still some minor bugs.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. secondsight_

secondsight_

@malkere
    Thanks for that tip ! I will remove all unnecessary colliders from the trees. Wanted to remove the leave collision anyways, so that might help.
    And yes, this is a simple MM terrain (only 1 voronoi and noise). My focus was more on the details in front this time. Also, this is just the basic biome. I plan to merge this with a swamp and mountain terrain.

I will try uNature soon. I had some problems when I bought it a few weeks back and wasn´t sure how and if it worked at all. Thanks for pointing that out !

ElroyUnity likes this.
  5. malkere

malkere

uNature might not work yet for normal users. I'm one of the beta testers. Now that the new MM has been released I think uNature will be updated to work with it shortly as well.. or it might have been published I haven't updated lately.. just a heads up... I see the developer of uNature liked you post though, so maybe you're fine =D

ElroyUnity likes this.
  6. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Yea I forgot to remove the "using Plugins" line which causes an error (basically just need to remove that line)

But indeed, working on a new version with some cool improvements regarding the map magic integration ( will be updated in the beta repo soon )

malkere likes this.
  7. secondsight_

secondsight_

Well, then I´m looking forward of finally using uNature in MM ! Especially my main project will benefit a great deal from the raised draw distance.

In the meantime I have problem. For fun I use the Ultimate Survival Kit (so I have stuff to do while exploring procedural generated content :) ). Because it´s quite popular I thought I post this here:
    To make the (Speed-) tree interactive and lootable, a script is attached. But the generated trees do not execute the script and cannot be looted. Here is a shot. Is this a general behaviour with generated trees that scripts don´t work ? I haven´t used interactive trees until now.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    The_Uber_Rasta likes this.
  8. RandomDevil

RandomDevil

I'm in search of some direction on an issue my team has been having with MM and our integration with source control. Long story short, we store everything on a cloud-type storage system and when we get MM files that contain certain nodes, they are missing the file references. Most prominently, the texture, tree, and grass, nodes. We're not sure if it's a Unity issue or a MM issue, so we're starting here before submitting a ticket with Unity.

We are still on MM 1.7

We are working in biomes that we save out and update as needed. It works really well with a masking structure we setup, so multiple people can work simultaneously. It's also important to note that we have the same file structure on each computer down to the drive letter (so, C:\Project\Asset is exactly the same on all computers). Also, just in case, MM's folder is inside of another at this point (C:\Project\Assets\3rdPartyPlugins\MapMagic), in case that has any bearing. If I get a biome from source control and overwrite my existing biome file with it, I lose all connections to the files they reference; textures, prefabs, billboards, etc. UNLESS, by chance, the same file exists in the node at the same index as the previous version. So, if the 3rd texture is "grass_01" in the old file and the 3rd texture is "grass_01" in the new file, then the reference stays.

To expand on that, we tried to right-click > export the node and re-import it. Even if we do this then import it to the same node structure on the same computer a second later, it's missing all the file references.

Any help is appreciated as some of these nodes are hefty with 20+ textures and 15+ prefabs and growing.

9. Wright

Wright

RandomDevil, what is your version control style (Edit - Project Settings - Editor)? Try using visible meta files on all of the computers - at least just for test.
    Note that meta files should be synchronized along with the main asset files, they should not be ignored by source control client.
    Have you experienced such an issues with other plugins or your custom scripts?

secondsight_ your screens are so great that I would gladly post them on MM AS page - with your permission, of course, and your project logo. Feel free to send me 3-4 screens at your choice if you'd like to.

Yep, it was changed. Thanks for the information about Retina!

It seems to be my fault, I have not mentioned that both repositories are merging to one before submitting to Unity. Sorry!

Dwight_Everhart and ElroyUnity like this.
  10. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hehe np :D

11. malkere

malkere

With basic trees the colliders are actually added to the terrain so a ray will report all hits as terrain collisions, meaning tree attached scripts will not be reached. For speedtrees... I'm not sure if that's the case though... I have a tree manager that find all the trees in a new terrain and manually places a collider in position for each one that is then a separate GameObject with my harvesting script attached to it...

SpeedTree LODs though only put colliders on the top layer on purpose... I was assuming they were turning off and on, but if you put too many in one scene the physics engine breaks as you've encountered so... are they not turning off?... I'm at work and can't test right now, but I grew up in a world without speedtrees, so I've always coded the colliders in separate from the actual trees... I wonder if there is a better way with now...

12. RandomDevil

RandomDevil

We are using the Perforce version control that is integrated into Unity (we also have the standalone Perforce client and have tried various methods with that as well). We are transferring all meta files at the same time. Our custom scripts do not seem to have an issue.

As a test, I made a new project with MM, did not link it to Perforce, and did some random node placement and put some textures in there. I then tried to export the texture node and reimport it, same result. We then transferred the whole project to another computer and it seemed to work fine. We updated the structure on machine 1 and transferred it via a biome to machine 2 and lost the file references again.

Digging into the biome and node export files, it looks like there is a path there, but it's just not picking it up(?).
    Also, a correction from last time. When we export the texture/grass/tree node and import it right back in, it no longer has any file references in place.

What about those of you with the big graphs in the images on here. Can you export the texture node and reimport it and have it still retain the file links in the node?

13. secondsight_

secondsight_

@malkere I´ve also tried this with other trees with the same result. It works perfectly when trees are scattered with the object output, though. Next thing I tried, was placing a speedtree as a child inside an empty object with a collider and the script attached. I got interesting results after generation: the colliders were generated, but not the trees :) So I guess I can´t trick the generation process.

@Wright You remember that I´ve requested a numeric input height node a few times ? As an more precise alternative to curves ? Yeah, well... nevermind ! Today, after 2 years with Unity, I´ve found this:

When adjusting curves, select a point and press enter to type explicit values !

And since curves our bread and butter, I thought I´ll leave this here. But I´m sure everyone except me knew this already, right :p

malkere likes this.
  14. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

Wow, those screenshots look great! I'm jealous. :)

I've used Unity 5.6's dynamic navmesh with MapMagic 1.7. It works well. You just need to copy the NavMeshSourceTag component to each generated terrain.

15. Harekelas

Harekelas

This is the unity's LOD system, don't know how to explain this by word ( sorry for my English :) ) I'll just show it:
    Put LOD meshes in this structure, it will not be shown correctly as terrain trees
    upload_2017-5-24_9-35-25.png

Put them in this order, they'll show on terrain.
    upload_2017-5-24_9-38-35.png

I think it's the terrain shader batching system made this issue, they may can only recognize certain structure for LODs.

BTW, if you want to chop down the terrain trees, it's a big project with unity terrains. All trees' colliders generated by unity terrain will be determined as terrain, no access to individual tree's script.
    Here's what I'm doing here: by submitting all tree's colliders to a pool for every generated terrain tile, then disable terrain collider's ENABLE TREE COLLIDERS.
    On hit of those colliders in the pool, just destroy the nearest tree on this terrain, and initialize a gameobject with the same transform as that terrain tree, put rigidbody on it and watch it fall.
    This is basically the theory, but there are so many optimizations need to be done, so I just used uNature's trees pool. now it can not support dynamic generation by MM out of the box, but I did a little twist to let every terrain tile have it's own pool by an additional script, this can make the trees choppable even in runtime generation.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  16. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

With this asset is it possible to access properties of each single tree so that I can change its appearance during game play. e.g The tree is healthy and green then later it is unhealthy and losing its bark.

TheGabelle likes this.
  17. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

I managed to get uNature grass working with Map Magic. It turns out the uNature Foliage manager doesn't read grass in biomes. I got a work around by having a single grass generator in the top level with every grass in my scene, but not connected to anything. Foliage manager was then able to read those grasses then apply the grass from the biomes. A kludge but it works.

I couldn't get the trees to work at all.

Dwight_Everhart and malkere like this.
  18. Wright

Wright

RandomDevil, so you are exporting your nodes (using the .nodes file), but not save them (to the .asset file)? Since .nodes is an XML-like format it just stores Asset-folder relative path, while saving an .asset file stores a link to Unity Object. Is there is a reason why you export your graph instead of saving, or it was made just for test?

secondsight_, I've got a special list for all the things I'm going to do, but I cannot complete it at once.
    I wasn't aware of Enter key, I usually get to this menu by right-clicking on the node and pressing "Edit".

TokyoDan, MM generates new terrains, but does not affect terrains that are already created - at least out of the box. But you can force re-generating terrain with a custom script, and you can change generator values through this script before re-generating (I will add an example to FAQ soon).

I guess @ElroyUnity is the hero who can deal with it.

ElroyUnity likes this.
  19. ElroyUnity

ElroyUnity

Hey - regardign biomes - a reported issue, will be fixed soon!
    Regrading trees - yep indeed, forgot about it, also coming soon :)

Will be updated in the beta repository of uNature, will post here when its done ;)

malkere likes this.
  20. malkere

malkere

fixed my previous problems..

I thought I'd mess with the world shift feature, ran to x 4000, starts adding 10,000 per frame to me X, am at 800,000 in no time? Not sure how that's supposed to work.

my old method still works:
    in OnCreate and OnMove in Chunk.cs:
    go.transform.localPosition = coord.ToVector3(MapMagic.instance.terrainSize) - (TerrainsData.Offset * 1024f);

in Extensions.cs:
    camPoses[0] = mainCam.transform.position + new Vector3(TerrainsData.Offset.x * 1024f, 0, TerrainsData.Offset.z * 1024f);

TerrainsData is a public static script I update Offset whenever I shift the world. I use (1024f * 8f) usually, I set it to 1024 for testing and it works fine.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  21. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

Hey @Wright!

First of all: Amazing plugin. I totally love MapMagic. This is time saver and game changer for me. There are a few things I'd like to request though:
    - Could you make an updated tutorial video, and maybe even add some more tutorials? I'm working with your island tutorial, and it seems a lot has changed since you made that.
    - As you've already implemented several compatibilities with other plugins: Would you be willing to work with Archimatix? It would be awesome if I was able to generally design an object in AX and have it scattered with different parameters over the map

Thanks in advance, and best regards,
    Tommy

22. Wright

Wright

Thanks!
    To be honest the video tutorials don't come easy to me, so I'm thinking about an illustrated tutorial on wiki - it's much more handy to create and update, and I guess it's even easier to perceive, isn't it? At least you don't have to listen to my accent :)

I have not tried Archimatix yet, but I think it's a good idea. I will look into it when I have time.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
    Tommy-Core likes this.
  23. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

24. Wright

Wright

His answer looks very similar to mine :) I offered a voucher exchange - it's the first step in integration, but I cannot promise any results soon. I guess both roryo and me have planned things to do first.

Tommy-Core likes this.
  25. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

@Wright I just upgraded MapMagic from 1.7 to 1.8. First, thank you for all the hard work you put into this release! I've been looking forward to it for a long time. However, I've run into a couple of issues after upgrading:

One of my biomes places boulders on the terrain. After upgrading, all the boulders are floating 500 meters above the terrain. They are not all at the same elevation; their elevations match the contour of the terrain.

CastleKingdoms-201705290929529519.png

I think I know what is happening. I have set the position of the MapMagic object to (0, -500, 0), so it will generate terrain under the ocean, up to 500 meters below sea level. The terrain generator is placing the terrain relative to the position of the MapMagic object, but the object generator is not. However, trees are being placed correctly. If I change the position of the MapMagic object to (0, 0, 0), the boulders are correctly positioned on the terrain. This isn't a huge issue. I've moved my ocean up to (0, 500, 0), and everything looks fine, but I would prefer to have Y values in the game represent elevation above (or below) sea level.

The second issue I've encountered is that some terrains fail to generate. These appear to be terrains with only one biome. Terrains that mix two biomes generate fine. There are errors repeatedly logged in the console:
    This error occurs whether my MapMagic object is set to (0, -500, 0) or (0, 0, 0). It occurs on Mac and Windows. I'm generating Unity terrains, but I was planning on switching to Voxeland terrains. I will do that now to see if it eliminates the error.

The third issue affects the MapMagic node editor. In version 1.7, I could move the canvas by dragging my mouse while holding down the Alt/Option key. Now that only produces horizontal movement, and vertical movement of the mouse changes the zoom. This happens on Mac, not Windows. In fact, the issue could be specific to my keyboard. I'm working around the issue by zooming out and in to different positions in the canvas to change locations, but this is slow and awkward. Ideally, I would like to simply drag my mouse on the canvas to move it, without any modifier keys.

Thanks again for your great work. I look forward to more improvements.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    malkere likes this.
  26. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

@Wright How would I go about added "town areas" or POIs to MapMagic terrain?

I am using a modified node of the Island, swapped out the heightmap changed the textures and other modifications.

I want to smooth certain parts in the terrain so that I can actually place a town or other locations on a spot. Right now it's too bumpy as is.

27. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

There is a post on making a village generator on page 19 of this thread.

Dwight_Everhart and malkere like this.
  28. malkere

malkere

If you debug the mix/max of the x and z in/out used in generators it's just a set integer linked to the heightmap resolution. so if you know you want 200-300 x/z to be a certain height you can setup a late generator to look for those numbers and alter results pretty easily. I might try that when I get home... there was a custom "city" generator sharedthat Dorian pointed out, someone made a page with several different custom nodes on it too... I think Denis added a link to his website.

beware if you change the resolution or allow players to it will mess up your graphs when using the raw numbers like that if you don't compensate for it. I limit settings to 1024 max res and then multiply lower res settings to get the same number, 512x2, 256x4, etc.

I need to make sure my players don't start underwater on random seeds XD been meaning to do that for a long time.

29. Wright

Wright

Dwight_Everhart, are you sure that the upgrade process completed successfully? I'm trying to reproduce three issues you mentioned and can't reproduce any of them. The first one I've fixed for 1.8 (but re-opened it because of your report). Terrain with only one biome on mask is generated too, and scrilling with Alt works in both directions - at least at my test cloud Mac Mini.

jessejarvis, the land for towns or other POI could be prepared with a Flatten Generator. And here is a link to those Villages Tutorial.

Tommy-Core likes this.
  30. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Thank you guys both very much!

Edit: Yeah starting off I'm not exactly gettings results. I think it's because I am attaching Height to the Flatten instead of Height to Villages. Where is it getting the Height to villages property?

Edit 2: I figured it out. Then I ran into the issue of never seeing a city, but I found out that is to due with having such a large map so I amped up Density and I got it! :)

Thanks.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    malkere likes this.
  31. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

I did not see any errors when I upgraded MapMagic, but I did not delete the old version first. I just did that, but I'm still getting errors. When I run the game with the generator set to the main one that references the two biomes that are in my game, nothing is generated, and two errors are repeatedly written to the console, several times per second:

I then tried setting MapMagic's generator to use one of the biome's generators directly. One biome, a simple one I created from scratch that only generates terrain with no objects, works fine with no errors or warnings. The other biome, which I based on the mountain demo scene included with MapMagic, results in a terrain being generated but without any objects, textures, trees, or grass, and this error is logged once to the console:

I didn't try to reproduce the other errors. This error is a blocker for me. I can work around the others. If I can't fix this, I'll have to revert to MapMagic 1.7.

I appreciate your help. I'm an engineer, and I know how frustrating it is to not be able to reproduce an error. I will investigate further.

32. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

@Wright I was able to pinpoint the cause of the errors. They were caused by an Objects output node for the boulders in my mountains biome. Specifically, the errors were caused by the "Incline by Terrain" option being enabled. Disabling that option eliminated all the errors. I saw that was a new option and decided to try it. I don't think I need it, so I will leave it disabled.

The issue with object elevations not being relative to the MapMagic object's elevation still exists, but, as I said, I can easily work around that. I am unblocked now. Thank you for your help.

33. secondsight_

secondsight_

Made a base setup of the inner forest section of my greenland biome. It´s all a little bit messy, but right now I´m after the right scale, density and base colors. I´ve also used 3 lods for the speedtrees, which drops the performance significantly. So, I would also appreciate the support of AltTrees at one point. Anyways, it´s for showing off purpose only, so I don´t care about performance right now. That´s why I´ve also added full volumetric light :)

and a few more...

34. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

Tasty! :)

35. Ronald_McScotland

Ronald_McScotland

I'm also getting a thread error when I check "Incline by Terrain" on object generator.

Dwight_Everhart likes this.
  36. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Hey @Wright I am currently using your MapMagic Git and posted what I think is a bug there. I see an option there "Floating Point Origin Solution" and Shift World is set to 4000. This does nothing if I check it (I haven't went over > 4000 coordinates), I notice weird things if my coords are >1000 so I tried setting it, but whenever I set it, it actively moves the world in the editor (or playmode) every second by that number.

37. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

Wow, that is so beautiful and lush! Great work! I wish my forest looked like that. Even a modest number of SpeedTrees really hurts my game's performance.

malkere likes this.
  38. RandomDevil

RandomDevil

To clarify, the exporting of the nodes was just a test to see if there was some other way to deal with some of the nodes not retaining the file paths. We are using biome asset files to store the graphs.

It was decided that we should update to the newest version of MapMagic to test the possible use of MegaSplat and some other extension we are working with. Once I updated, the file path retention issue went away.

I may never know what caused it, but it is no longer an issue.

Thanks.

39. Wright

Wright

It's fixed, will be available in 1.8.1

jessejarvis, it would be handy if you could create an issue for that (use email link at the bottom of the page if you are not registered at GitLab). I'd just like to keep my bugs organized :)

secondsight_ extremely impressive! Recently I was playing with a forest biome myself for some side-project (pity can't post screens), and I must admit that yours looks even better!

40. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

I already did, it's been two days and there was no response so I was just checking here. Wasn't sure if that was the intended feature for the floating point or not. To be honest I used the script you recommended at one point which worked (it moved the terrain), but none of the rocks moved with it or anything. So I figured I'd use the official one once you released 1.8.

Edit: It's the one titled "Shift world, actively shifting world?".

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  41. Twiixyfr

Twiixyfr

Hi Denis, i have some problem with my terrain, i got a error message Right terrain don't match the same heightmap resolution and i think that's causing me problem with terrain, i have a line under each terrain and that's ugly (maybe i just doing something wrong too and i can just don't care about the message) can you explain me how to have a smooth transition at each terrain ? Sorry for my verry bad english btw i doing my best and thanks for this great asset !

42. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

If you've removed an issue from GitLab, does that mean you've fixed it?

43. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hello again,
    I used the saved .asset file to restore my map from MM 1.7 in MM1.8.
    But I found a serious problem, for I used noise node to determine the biomes areas, every noise node used different seeds to adjust the locations of the green part. In MM 1.8 I found individual seeds of the legacy noise nodes can make no effect on the map and my islands are not in the place where it should be, any ideas?

44. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Is the fix for not being able to lock and manually paint terrains (to add paths, etc) coming soon?

45. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

I just tested scrolling the MapMagic editor using my Macbook Pro's built-in keyboard and trackpad, and it works fine. It doesn't work correctly when using my external keyboard, which is a Windows keyboard with the Windows key remapped to be Option. Maybe the remapping is causing the problem. Weird. I'll try a different keyboard.

46. Wright

Wright

jessejarvis, don't see it in the issues list. Did you add it to GitLab, not Bitbucket? Anyways, I've fixed it and submitted a new version with all the fixes I've made, it will be available soon.

Twiixyfr, could you please open up an issue with the error text and a screenshot of what is happening with your terrain and how it looks?

Dorian-Dowse, I do not remove issues, but close them. They all are stored under the "Closed" tab.

Harekelas, do I get it right that changing legacy noise does not have any effect? Or your noise generators were loaded with the default seed values?

trilobyteme, yep, the fix is pending Unity review now.

Does anybody else have this issue no Mac?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  47. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

I tested this issue with my old keyboard. The problem does not occur with it. It only occurs with my Logitech MX3000 keyboard, which is a Windows keyboard. I don't love that keyboard, so I'll go back to my old keyboard.

48. Harekelas

Harekelas

Yes, changing the legacy noise node's seed dose not have effect. I'm not using the default 12345 seed value in my terrain if this is what you mean.
    And I noticed that changing the overall seed in the Mapmagic object's general settings will change the legacy noise image, is this because the overall seed overwritten every single node's seed value?
    How can I disable the overwrite?

49. jessejarvis

jessejarvis

Oops! Hahaha yeah I submitted it on Bitbucket! My bad xD

Thanks for fixing it.

50. Twiixyfr

Twiixyfr

The error message say : Bottom neighbor of the terrain has a different heightmap resolution. Stop neighboring each time i pin one terrain, and for each terrain around him

And a screen of the ugly terrain transition :
    http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=555663Transition.png

My height margin : 5
    Texture margin : 2

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017