Search Unity

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I do have them displayed (see screenshot). I also tried resetting my Unity layout, but that didn't change anything.

Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 8.05.13 PM.png

2. Hormic

Hormic

I updated my project with the new version and got 16 of these errors:

and a lot of this warnings:

What could i do to solve the errors?
    Thanks for tipps!

3. Wright

Wright

Hormic, try clear install, with removing of previous version (or beta version with plugin tools).

trilobyteme, I saw your issue on bitbucket, will try to find out what's wrong.

Hormic likes this.
  4. Hormic

Hormic

Yes thank you very much, no errors and warnings anymore. :)

5. Wright

Wright

@All of the Beta testers:

I'd like to congratulate you with the end of MM 1.8/ Voxeland 5.00 Beta test and releasing of MM in Asset Store (while Voxeland is still pending a review). Thanks for all of your feedback!

This does not means that the beta test is over. I'm constantly changing and improving my assets, so if you want to get the latest MM/Voxeland versions with quicker bug fixing you will find the next information useful: For the next betas I'm going to use GitLab instead of Bitbucket. You can find repositories here: Voxeland, MapMagic, PluginTools.

All of the further commits will be done here, Bitbucket repositories are no longer supported.

Issues and wiki pages moved to GitLab too, so make sure you are reporting your issue to GitLab.

@All:

Note that Issues and Wiki pages could be accessed publicly.

These pages could be read without even logging to GitLab. To report an issue without logging-in use email link at the bottom of the issues page. I will appreciate if you will report issues here rather than my email.

I will store the documentation on wiki shortly.

If you'd like to take part in testing of new asset versions or for some reason have not got an access to the new repository feel free to submit (or re-submit) this form.

malkere likes this.
  6. gegebel

gegebel

is there a way to make the changes at runtime being taken into account by MapMagic ?
    In my game you can chop trees and harvest stones, but everytime you start the game, MapMagic starts with a fresh map. Is it possible to save the changes somehow ?

7. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Great news, @Wright - after signing up for gitlab, only Voxeland showed a request access button for me. I've filled the form out again. Gitlab looks pretty slick, I hope it works out well for you.

8. mkgame

mkgame

example.jpg Hi,

could I use it for an RTS game, where the lower parts of the terrain must be even flat to build building on the terrain. This would be also needed for the pathfinding. I don't want a terrain where all the usable place (for RTS stuff) is on one height, but if it looks flat, then it should be even flat, else no chance to build buildings, because units must come out from some buildings. Maybe you have some magic filter for this problem?

I could make the terrain even at this points, by the terrain editor, but then the terrain shouldn't be generated again.

Workflow:

- Make the terrain
    - Lock generating terrain
    - Change it manually
    - Generate just textures based on the terrain
    - Generate grass and trees

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  9. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

The approach we currently use for persistent object changes is to have a manager object which maintains a dictionary of objects placed on the terrain, keyed by a hash of their x,y location. When an object changes state from the default one in which MapMagic places it (i.e. a coin is collected, or a tree is chopped down), this is recorded in the dictionary.

The manager script subscribes to the OnApplyCompleted event of the MapMagic object, and loops through all the objects created on each terrain chunk as they generated. If they exist in the dictionary, the state of that object is modified (or the object is destroyed, or whatever).

It works, but it's not a perfect solution because it basically overwrites the state of any objects placed by the MapMagic output generator, rather than placing the objects with the correct state to begin with.
    I did try creating a new Object generator that would read from the persistent dictionary to filter out changed objects before they were even created, but ran into problems - the entities that object generators deal with are "SpatialObjects" in MM-parlance - you can't do things like check against tags or layers or transforms at the Input generator stage, because at that point the objects to be placed are not GameObjects - they're just the result of a probability density function.

Anyway - that's how we approach it! Hope it helps a bit.

10. malkere

malkere

That's how I do it too. I store changes as they are made and write them to disk whenever "saved" or every 5 minutes.

I'm curious how the new .terrain output stuff works? I haven't played with the new MM much unfortunately I've been busy molding my Kickstarter page. =o Does that mean we can save the generated data and call it back when necessary versus regenerating each terrain?

tanoshimi likes this.
  11. AshyB

AshyB

@Wright any chance of adding a "spacing" parameter to the propagate generator so that objects don't instantiate too close to each other? My enemy guys are sometimes spawning inside crates :p

I'll have a go at writing my own generator later by copying the propagate, but having a spacing parameter built in seems like a worthy suggestion?

12. Harekelas

Harekelas

Super Excited to know the new version is out, bought megaSplat and voxeland immediately!
    One quick question: does new version compatible with old saved terrain data? Do I have to remake my terrains again?

13. inoj

inoj

I think you have possibility to export your nodeset from older version and import it to new one, it will just use legacy nodes instead of the ones added in new version. I might be wrong since i have only used Map Magic less than a week so far, but that is one possibility coming to my mind, hope it works. :)

Edit: Imported one of my 1.7 nodesets to 1.8 and as i thought it just uses legacy nodes, just rightclick your map magic editor window and you can export and import nodes :)

14. Harekelas

Harekelas

altTree's author does not have time to work on the integration with MM, he said it may take 1-2 month till he moves to this aspect. uNature's author is also planned to optimize the trees' shader, but not in recent neither.
    BTW, I also have some results to show off with MM generated terrains (and planted trees ;) )
    upload_2017-5-17_19-51-47.png

upload_2017-5-17_19-53-14.png

upload_2017-5-17_19-53-52.png

Our game is called Survisland, you can find it on Steam's Greenlight community if you are interested for more info. :)
    And many thanks to Denis! MM made this random generated terrains with quality possible!!

15. Harekelas

Harekelas

Thanks! Good to know! This function is a life saver ;)

inoj likes this.
  16. inoj

inoj

Just be sure to do backup if you about to try out technique i mentioned, since im not 100% sure if it's correct way, someone more experienced can say better i assume. But atleast it seems to work with my quite basic terrain :)

17. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

You can avoid this by using the subtract generator to "take away" the locations of your crates from the locations of your enemy spawn points.

18. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

+1 to tanoshimi's suggestion. You can also follow the Propogate generator with an Adjust node and set the spacing there too.

19. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

What's the correct upgrade procedure? Just tried to go from the beta build to the v1.8 asset store release and now I'm getting a load of "The type or namespace 'Plugins' could not be found" :(

20. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Ah, scrap that. The problem is in my custom generators, which I'd changed to use the namespace structure of the GitLab repository (where some of the classes are in the "Plugins" namespace) when I started testing the beta version, and now have to change back again to use the regular structure in the release version. That's going to be really annoying for anyone testing out their custom generators with the beta!

21. Wright

Wright

Harekelas, great screens! I love the grass at the last one!
    No, all of the saved terrains could be loaded with 1.8. Some of the old generators (like Noise) will be just marked as "legacy" but this will not prevent them from working.

mkgame, you can level all of the small bumps using the curve generator, something like that:
    CurveLevel.png

AshyB, there is already a "Distance" parameter in Propagate Generator. Setting it's minimum value to say 5 will spawn enemies in 5 meters from the crate.
    Using is Subtract Generator has a sence only when you face a problem when enemies are spawned inside the other crate, i.e. spawn so far that their positions are intersecting with the other objects.

tanoshimi and all of the beta testers: you need to remove MapMagic Beta version (along with PloginTools folder) to use the version from AssetStore.

22. Splowe

Splowe

Hello, I'm using Map Magic with RTP and I'm not sure whether to post my issue here or on the RTP forums, but I'm having trouble with getting the RTP painting tools to work. I'm not too knowledgeable about how all this works, but it seems that the painting tools are expecting splat info or something that isn't being passed along to it..? Is there something I'm missing?

I'm using Map Magic to rough in the base textures for my 12km map and has worked perfectly for that, but now I'm trying to paint in some more details by hand and can't.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

23. Harekelas

Harekelas

Got it! Thanks!! MM is a fantastic tool, especially now it can be used with voxeland! My next step is to make my game voxelized.

Wright likes this.
  24. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

Nice work Harekelas. Are you using Suimono /Tenkoku for water/sky?

25. rsklnkv

rsklnkv

Will demo be updated to 1.8?
    Thanks

26. Elzean

Elzean

I try to use the megasplat output but whatever texture i pick for a layer another one appear on the terrain. And it seems that those texture that are selected all come from the first cluster i can't see any texture from other cluster.

upload_2017-5-18_15-2-5.png

27. Harekelas

Harekelas

I use Tenkoku and Ceto for sky and Water.
    The lighting of Tenkoku is just perfect :)

28. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I just installed the latest update to 2017.1.b5 and it gets caught in some sort of endless recompiling loop, spitting this out forever:
    Code (csharp):
    1. MapMagic: __MEGASPLAT__ Compatibility Mode Disabled
    2. UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    3. WrGlobalDefineSwitcher:DisableKeyword(String)
    4. WrGlobalDefineSwitcher:SetScriptingDefineSymbols()
    5. SetScriptingDefineSymbolsClass:.cctor()
    6. UnityEditor.EditorAssemblies:ProcessInitializeOnLoadAttributes()
    I do have Megasplat installed, and __MEGASPLAT__ is defined. I could only get it to stop recompiling by going into the MegaSplatDefines.cs file and commenting out the lines where it adds __MEGASPLAT__ to the defines. Any idea what's causing this? Couldn't quite figure out where the debug log statement was coming from... I couldn't find the string "Compatibility Mode Disabled" anywhere in the project.

29. Splowe

Splowe

So I did some more research and found that the RTP painting tools aren't really what I'm looking for, that maybe I should be using Unity terrain painting tools to make changes instead..? However, when I go to the terrain to paint textures, there are no textures at all. It still seems that maybe Map Magic isn't passing along all the splat info... but I'm not an expert on all of this.

So basically what I'm trying to do is disassociate Map Magic so that it doesn't keep generating my terrain and then paint in more texture detail to clean up some key places.

30. Dwight_Everhart

Dwight_Everhart

Wow, that looks great! I especially love the marsh.

31. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

What version of Unity are you running and are you seeing a lot of issues with Ceto? A lot of people have quit using it now that it's been abandoned and unfortunately Playway's future is up-in-the-air as well. That pretty much leaves Aquas which isn't great for oceans due to not having physic waves and Suimono...which seems to get decent but not great reviews.

32. jbooth

jbooth

Hmm, I had a bug in the terrain converter a while back that only let it use the first texture in a cluster; simple fix, but perhaps the conversion code which is in the node is from then. I'll have a look and see..

malkere and Elzean like this.
  33. Harekelas

Harekelas

I'm using Ceto's transparent set of ocean, for now, I got no problem using it in unity 5.4.
    Ceto's algorithm for waves is the best so far I've seen ( playway is also great but lacks some huge waves )
    I'll try to fix things up if I encounter some problems.
    And there is another ocean asset seems to be promising: Hydrodorm Ocean System
    Hope it helps ;)

34. Wright

Wright

Splowe, if you are trying to manually edit RTP terrains you've got to use two outputs: RTP Output to generate RTP material, and Texture Output to paint splats on terrain. Painted splats could be converted to RTP's control maps (however I don't remember exactly what to click).

Thanks, nice to hear that!

Yes, that's what I'm currently doing.

makeshiftwings, I can't guarantee it working with 2017 beta. This log statement comes from MapMagic, and caused by MegaSplat that is not enabling __MEGASPLAT__ for some reason (I'm not even sure it should). There could be a problem in MapMagic, MegaSplat, or Unity itself since it's still beta. I'll try to find it out when I'll get my hands on it.

Btw feel free to create an issue for that.

jbooth, thanks!

@All: I'm currently filling the MapMagic Wiki page. Feel free to leave your comments with @denispahunov tag at the bottom of the page, and fix typos and lexical mistakes (since I'm not a native speaker the last one will be very helpful, thanks!)

makeshiftwings likes this.
  35. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

I'm using Ceto in 5.6. It's still the best looking water IMO. Check the Ceto forum thread. The author posted some fixes for 5.5. I plan to keep using it until it's irrevocably broken.

36. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

What makes you say that Playway's future is up-in-the-air? That developer is still active on the forums (not daily, but regularly), is still working on the asset, and last time I checked was also working on a fairly big update.

37. jbooth

jbooth

@Elzean

Ok, looked at this tonight and sent a fix to @Wright. Basically, the cluster noise scale wasn't exposed/used. What cluster noise scale does is control the size of the noise function which decides which texture is chosen. If the value is too low, then you get really large patches that are all the same texture. Too high, and you get too many transitions between textures, creating a sort of synthesized look. Also, the change which fixed the "only picking a single texture" problem was in a function in MegaSplat, so should be fixed if you're using a recent version.

38. Dorian-Dowse

Dorian-Dowse

I keep getting this error. It's very inconstant. I've had no luck tracking down the cause.

Thread Error: System.DivideByZeroException: Division by zero
    at MapMagic.Matrix.GetInterpolated (Single x, Single z, WrapMode wrap) [0x00204] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\Matrix.cs:537
    at MapMagic.TextureInput.Generate (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x00114] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Generators\MatrixGenerators.cs:620
    at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.GenerateWithPriors (MapMagic.Generator gen, CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x000b2] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:656
    at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.GenerateWithPriors (MapMagic.Generator gen, CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x00057] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:644
    at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.GenerateWithPriors (MapMagic.Generator gen, CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x00057] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:644
    at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.Generate (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Collections.Generic.HashSet`1& changedTypes, System.Func`2 stop) [0x00183] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:307
    at MapMagic.GeneratorsAsset.Calculate (CoordRect rect, MapMagic.Results results, Size terrainSize, Int32 seed, System.Func`2 stop) [0x00011] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\GeneratorsAsset.cs:222
    at MapMagic.Chunk.ThreadFn () [0x0005a] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\Chunk.cs:202
    at MapMagic.ThreadWorker.ThreadFn () [0x00020] in D:\UnityProjects\TerrainDEV\Assets\MapMagic\Main\ThreadWorker.cs:501
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    MapMagic.ThreadWorker:ThreadFn() (at Assets/MapMagic/Main/ThreadWorker.cs:525)​

39. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

You probably want to catch up on his latest posts. The dev is handing it over to "a studio." That could end up being good for the asset, but there's no way to know at this point.

40. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

Thanks for info. I don't care as much for the visuals of Hydroform. It's also really new and early reviews seem fairly mixed.

41. Dramamine0001

Dramamine0001

Thanks. Yeah, seems like I should keep using it for the time being.

42. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't seen the Playway developer's post from the 5th. Fingers crossed for a successful transfer of ownership on the Playway water system, I think it's one of the best water systems out there, but could probably be greatly improved upon with more dedicated resources.

[Edited for clarity on 19 May 2017, I don't want anyone to take my post out of context and think there is an ownership or support issue with MapMagic or Voxeland. @Wright is doing an excellent job with both assets]

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  43. SSL7

SSL7

was getting that error too in my old map, what i did is change all legacy generators with the newer ones and it fixed my problems.

44. secondsight_

secondsight_

Hey there,

I´m encountering a strange behaviour in my current fun project. I have setup with a very high density of speed trees. But if the object count seems to reach a certain level, the collision of the terrain is gone and I´m falling through the terrain !

This is the tree density I currently have in the scene and performance wise it works reasonable:

This happens on a single terrain with a lot of trees. But also when another terrain tile is generated and the object count threshold is reached, the terrain collision just stops to work. I´ve played around with the scatter and propagate values. If I lower the object count to a certain amount everything works like intended. But since I want to have it dense and lush I need to fix this. Any idea ?

And I´ve read in the patchnotes that MM is now compatible with uNature. But does that mean I can use uNature objects for grass output generation or "just" paint on MM terrain objects ?!

Thanks !

45. Wright

Wright

Dorian-Dowse, could you please make a scrrenshot of your graph? It would be great if you could create an issue and attach a screenshot and a texture used in Texture Input here.

secondsight_, really cool pic! Feel free to post more here!
    Try to start a new terrain without MM and just place lots of your trees on it to see if the terrain collider remain. This will show if it is MM issue or the Unity one. In the first case I will fix it soon.

2All who just briefly looking through this thread - it's not about me or any of my assets :) I'm here daily, I've just submitted 2 big updates for MM and Voxeland, and I don't plan to pass ownership to anyone. Just mention it in case somebody just sees a random post without going into detail :)

tanoshimi likes this.
  46. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

@Wright I'm sorry if I caused any confusion - yes, I was referring to the Playway water system by developer @zuzzu . I have edited my earlier post to clarify that, and would like to reiterate that your support and continued development efforts for both MapMagic and Voxeland has been spectacular.

julianr and Exbleative like this.
  47. Wright

Wright

I've updated the evaluation version to 1.8, so those who want to try MM without buying it feel free to download it here.

2All Mac users with Retina displays: I've noticed a recent review on the MM AS page saying that Retina displays are not supported. You can find this review (it's rather scathing, I admit) at the top when clicking "Show all reviews". I do remember I've fixed this months ago with the help of MM community, now I ask you to check if there is a regression or other issue. Unfortunately I'm using cloud mac mini for tests, and can not get my hands on MacBook Pro this week to check it myself. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  48. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about the scathing review. I'm using a Thunderbolt Cinema Display (1440p), so unfortunately can't test and confirm the retina issue on my primary machine. I do have a retina MBP in the studio, as soon as I get a chance I'll install Unity and MMWG and give it a test. Congrats on getting the demo updated.

49. DarkDeivel

DarkDeivel

I tried bake in navigation, it took a long time, but in the end nothing happened.

What this?

Attached Files:

50. secondsight_

secondsight_

So, I´ve tested a mass distribution of trees on a unity terrain. Although the framerate dropped significantly, I was not able to reproduce the bug where the terrain collision brakes. Must be a MM issue then ? In the meantime I´ve found a good setup between density and not running into that problem.

And by accident I´ve found a neat way to make rivers / canals / swamps. I thought I might share:

Detail (for now)

Will post some more pictures after I´ve color corrected the speedtrees :)