Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Map Magic World Generator - a node based procedural and infinite game map tool

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Wright, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Wright

Wright

Hey owners of the macs with retina displays, could you please take a look at this MM Editor script to see if aiming the terrains for pinning works (save it to an MM Editor folder).

There is a perlin noise generator, but you cannot set additional maps for erosion. You can take a look at the free demo to see how it works.

MapMagic component will be assigned to Voxland object, and it will output the generated result using the special Voxeland Output. It will not use legacy generator in any way.

Do you mean dynamically creating a graph and forcing it to generate? You can try something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             //creating new generators asset if needed
    2.             MapMagic.instance.gens = ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<GeneratorsAsset>();
    4.             //creating and setting noise generator
    5.             NoiseGenerator1 noiseGen = (NoiseGenerator1)MapMagic.instance.gens.CreateGenerator(typeof(NoiseGenerator1), new Vector2(50,50)); //CreateGenerator(type, gui position)
    6.             noiseGen.intensity = 0.75f;
    8.             //curve generator
    9.             CurveGenerator curveGen = (CurveGenerator)MapMagic.instance.gens.CreateGenerator(typeof(CurveGenerator), new Vector2(250,50));
    10.             curveGen.curve = new AnimationCurve( new Keyframe[] { new Keyframe(0,0,0,0), new Keyframe(1,1,2.5f,1) } );
    12.             //height output
    13.             HeightOutput heightOut = (HeightOutput)MapMagic.instance.gens.CreateGenerator(typeof(HeightOutput), new Vector2(450,50));
    15.             //linking generators
    16.             curveGen.input.Link(noiseGen.output, noiseGen);
    17.             heightOut.input.Link(curveGen.output, curveGen);
    19.             //force generate
    20.             MapMagic.instance.ForceGenerate();
    CreateGenerator takes two arguments: the type of the generator and it's rect position (top left corner) in the graph. Input.Link takes the output and it's generator as parameters.

tanoshimi, yeah, it is the way setting heightmap data to terrain works. It is possible to switch map before apply, but it will mirror all of the terrains for all of the users.

docsavage, it seems that you have reached maximum detail meshes number per detail mesh chunk. It's a Unity limitation - pity it does not log anything in the console, just leaves chunks empty. You can try changing Patch Res in Grass Output generator, but it's better to keep the density value below 3-4 and use grass masks instead if filling everything with grass.

antoripa and tanoshimi like this.
  2. docsavage

docsavage

Thanks @Wright,

Figured had reached a limit due to terrain system. I have seen an IndexOutOfRangeException error for the array but am not sure it's related. Like I said. density of over 1 in 512 resolution results in those empty patches. Density of 3-4 is only possible with 1024 and upwards

Thanks for the reply

doc

3. Matro

Matro

I have an issue that appears to be a bug in the Tangents see the image the clear lines.

Attached Files:

4. Crossway

Crossway

Thank you Wright for your fast support.
    There is something I need to ask about "blend map" I need to add 20 simple form maps to my map but with blend map I just can add 2 simple form maps, is that possible if you add more blend slots?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Wright likes this.
  5. reocwolf

reocwolf

Any ETA on Map Magic int with VoxelLand? Also I missed the sale. Any Idea when the next one will be?

6. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

Today, when i try to push the resolution to 4096 and i got some errors, my splat map has failed to generate.

It's okay when the resolution is 2048 and below.

And any chance to separate the setting for resolution and detail resolution?
    Because i really want to push my detail resolution up to 4096 (for later hand paint jobs), But 1024 is just good for the heightmap.

Thank you guys.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  7. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

That would only make sense for commutative blend operations like addition, min/max, or multiply. If you were using a non-commutative blend operation I think the result would be ambiguous with an arbitrary number of inputs.

You can create the result you want currently by explicitly chaining blend operations together: add input1 to input2 in one blend generator, then take the result of that and add it to input3 in the next generator etc etc

8. Matro

Matro

How do you remove trees from under the water? Screenshot 2016-10-22 17.31.46.png

9. wiseman_2

wiseman_2

I have done it a couple of different ways... with a curve as a mask, and also by using the grass as a soil mask

10. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

I'm placing a reasonable amount of objects on my terrain, and I'm now thinking about ways to optimise them. They're simple billboard quads but can't be dynamically batched because they use a multipass shader. And static batching doesn't seem to work either (I have no idea why - Unity's batching system is powered by some arcane black magic that seems impossible to decipher), so, without any optimisation whatsoever, I'm currently getting around 1000 drawcalls.

So I was thinking about letting MapMagic place the objects individually, but then manually combining them into a single mesh using Mesh.CombineMeshes in the OnApplyCompleted callback. This *should* work pretty well in theory, since objects on the same chunk will be spatially proximate, and all use the same material. I might even create a custom generator to group objects into smaller "subchunks" that would facilitate easier combining.

Before I do so, though, I just wondered if anybody else had experience of trying to optimise their MM-generated terrain (particularly with regards to objects), and whether they had any tips or found any pitfalls?

11. Exbleative

Exbleative

Same here, pretty keen to see how you go with optimizations. I don't even have that many objects, just grass and the occasional tree or rock. Honestly not even sure if it's a problem, though, especially on PC?

I imagine if you start combining meshes you'll have to stop using Object Pooling, which could affect performance in other ways? I also wonder how long CombineMeshes itself would take with a huge number of objects.

tanoshimi likes this.
  12. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

I hope not - I'm planning to combine objects on a per-chunk basis. AFAIK, object pooling is only used to recycle objects when new chunks are generated, at which point the old combined mesh would be destroyed and a new one created. At least, that's the theory - I'll let you know how I get on!

13. antoripa

antoripa

Hey,
    tool currently does not incload road builder. Has someone a workaroung for static terrain ?

14. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

For static terrain, I think EasyRoads3D is one of the most long-standing and well-known road assets: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/469

antoripa likes this.
  15. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Well, initial results seem encouraging: using CombineMeshes in OnApplyCompleted to combine the meshes of 2000 default cube objects placed by the MM scatter generator leads to a reduction in batches from 1132 to 15, and rendering time from 2.8ms to 0.6ms. Tris obviously increases, but that doesn't really matter.
    Currently, this just batches *all* objects output by MM - what I probably need to do next is create some custom output generator that assigns a tag or some other identifier for only specific objects which you want to batch.
    default.jpg combined.jpg

malkere and Exbleative like this.
  16. cookimage

cookimage

I thought i would share some screenshots of the game we are making using MapMagic for the terrain.

17. Exbleative

Exbleative

Interesting, but on your screens your frame rate and ms seem almost identical? 14.5 unoptimized vs slightly slower 14.7ms when combined?
    Does sound decent, though!
    Did you notice any lag when applying the combine?

18. Wright

Wright

I guess you are using cavity generator? I must admit that it's missing "Safe Borders" parameter that should mask it on terrain edges to prevent such artifacts, I'll fix it for the next version.

I think it's worthy idea. Adding it to my to-do list.

I think Voxeland integration should take a couple of months, maybe more - during this time I will release absolutely new Voxeland version and one or two MM versions. Unity usually warns about the sales a month ahead, and I've got no information about any upcoming sales.

Scatter generator has a probability slot, you can use it to determine where the trees should be scattered. If you assign an inverted sand mask this will prevent trees from growing here.

Theoretically pooling should not interfere using CombineMeshes. Object pooling just moves an object instead of removing it and creating new at the next chunk.

cookimage, whow, looks really great!

Crossway and cookimage like this.
  19. minhdaubu2

minhdaubu2

Today, when i try to push the resolution to 4096 and i got some errors, my splat map has failed to generate.

It's okay when the resolution is 2048 and below.

And any chance to separate the setting for resolution and detail resolution?
    Because i really want to push my detail resolution up to 4096 (for later hand paint jobs), But 1024 is just good for the heightmap.

Thank you guys.

20. ThunderSoul

ThunderSoul

One other question. My game should have a "Save Game" feature. Can I store values for the generated map, save those values to file, and when my player loads game, the player will have the same generated map. Does your product support this?
    Thank you.

21. malkere

malkere

I'm going to fake an answer as that is a big part of my game and say yes you can. In my case I've already edited some of the code directly, so I know you can just do that to get seeds and simple data like that in or out with very little effort. Is there a "save" button programmed in with the software? no.

By default whatever you set the seeds to in the editor will never change anyway. I'm randomizing them so saving what changed is important.

22. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Yes - there is a global (integer) seed and each generator also has its own seed. Just set these seeds to the same value each time and you'll get the same map.

23. ibyte

ibyte

tanoshimi, would you share a little more detail on what settings or export steps you use in gimp to get 16 bit raw files output?

Thanks

24. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Sure: File -> Export As -> Raw Image Data (*.data)
    Then, in the advanced save dialog, select Planar RGB Save Type and R,G,B Indexed Palette Type.

ibyte and docsavage like this.
  25. docsavage

docsavage

This is great @tanoshimi, I wondered how to do this correctly. Thanks.

@ibyte, Thanks for posting this question. Helpful to many I imagine

doc

ibyte likes this.
  26. ThunderSoul

ThunderSoul

OK, this sounds very good.

It seems that you know your way around this product. Unfortunately, I do not, so looking for these values may be a bit difficult for me.

What I'd like to know is if this product has documentation for its API (e.g.: like unity's or java's) so that I don't have to guess its method calls and what they do, as well as their parameters.

Thank you.

27. Wright

Wright

minhdaubu2, yeah, Unity does not allow alphamap resolution to be larger than 2048, clamping all of the greater values. Strange thing, it seems that it was possible on the older versions or I just did not noticed it before.

But the worst thing that it does not allow 4096 resolution of a detail map: when I try to set it manually on the new terrain (created without MMWG) it logs this error:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Failed to create Object Undo, because the action is too large. Clearing undo buffer
    2. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    and sets the detail resolution size to 4048.

I'll consider adding scale factor to all of the outputs anyways (the way it is done with height output), but I will not manage to make it for the upcoming version.

Actually there is such a "button" in the code - at least there is a way to export generators, but unfortunately it is an editor function only, it does not work in playmode. But it could be a point to start with: function is called SaveGenerator, MapMagicWindow.cs, line 164. If generator parameter is null it will save all the generators in the graph.

Briefly, you'll have to prepare temporary serialization lists:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. List<string> classes = new List<string>();
    3. List<UnityEngine.Object> objects = new List<UnityEngine.Object>();
    4. List<object> references = new List<object>();
    5. List<float> floats = new List<float>();
    Fill them with current generators:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. CustomSerialization.WriteClass(MapMagic.instance.gens,  classes, objects, floats, references);
    And then convert it all to XML-like string:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. string xmlString = CustomSerialization.ExportXML(classes, objects, floats)
    Then you can save or send this string to the server the way you want.
    These functions are internal serialization algorithms, I didn't suppose that someone will be going to duplicate the save function for playmode, that's why they are not documented.

@All MacBook Pro users:
    If you'd like to check out the new beta version where retina display bug should be fixed please contact me via email. I'd only ask you to provide your order no if you don't mind.

minhdaubu2 and Exbleative like this.
  28. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

There's no API documentation that I know of, but the classes are well-structured and named, and your IDE should suggest methods and document their parameter types. To create a map from a set seed, for example, you simply set MapMagic.instance.seed = 12345; (or whatever)

29. awesomedata

awesomedata

I'd really like to generate a variety of blocky/polygonal terraces with various shapes of wide open planes, with some raised areas. Think of this as the Voroni cell image below with the "Flat" option on, but with 3 differences:

1) some surfaces are larger wide-open spaces than others (perhaps given a "uniform" value),
    2) a variation of differently-shaped cell surfaces (i.e. different #'s of vertices making up the cell that is extruded),
    3) some cells raised/extruded much higher than other cells (possibly across a curve, and potentially with a sort of "uniformity" value and a height-range value

I know Map Magic generally uses Alpha images as an input, and I'd like to do these 3 things on TOP of (or added/multiplied/subtracted to) those general alphas, but specifically I need to generate geometry that does those 3 things mentioned above.

Is it impossible to generate the geometry for something like that with Map Magic?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  30. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Sure. MapMagic is extensible so you can write a custom generator to use whatever rules you want. Combination with one or more other inputs is done via the Blend generator.

31. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Minor bug report follows regarding offsetting the parent object:

Due to constraints of some other assets I'm using, I want to spawn my player close to the scene origin at (0,0). Normally, that would be the point at which 4 terrain chunks meet, which means I have to wait for four threads to complete generation before the level starts.

To reduce this time, I tried to offset the MapMagic terrain parent object by half the size of a terrain chunk, so that the player spawns at (0,0) in the middle of a chunk, and I only need that one chunk to generate at the start of the level.
    This works at runtime, but it makes the controls in the scene view a bit wonky: if you look at the attached screenshot which shows a single chunk, you'll see that the preview of the trees does not take account of the offset, and nor does the mouse cursor highlight the correct terrain chunk over which its hovering. It's not impossible to work around, but it's slowing my productivity a bit!

mm_offset.jpg

Wright likes this.
  32. Crossway

Crossway

Thanks, I hope we'll see that on the next version :D

33. awesomedata

awesomedata

How would one go about this? Would I have to modify the Voronoi generator myself somehow?

Basically, what I want to do is use its output, but tweak the shape, width/depth, and height of *some* of the 'cells' it produces. How would I go about that? Where would I even start?

34. nnurgle

nnurgle

@awsomedata,

No need to write a custom extension when I think you just need a combination of maps. I created a few examples of how you could get the basic shape you are after just using the flat Voronoi, curves and a blend. simpleexample.JPG complexexample.JPG

malkere likes this.
  35. nnurgle

nnurgle

I just tried it on my MacBook pro Retina and it did not fix the problem. I replaced the existing script, then restarted unity before testing. Let me know if you want me to send a full screen video of the issue so you can get a better idea of the problem. The farther zoomed out, the more apparent the tile offset. Even zoomed in to see almost only one tile, there is still an offset of 1 tile.

(Feel free to email me if you want a guinea pig for this ---> nnurgle2(@)hotmail.com)[/QUOTE]

36. awesomedata

awesomedata

@nnurgle

Oh, wow. Thank you! I can't imagine how I missed the "Cell Count" setting! That's ALMOST exactly what I wanted!

I now have 3 further questions that could get me all the way there, if you (or anyone else who wants to chime in!) know the answers and don't mind sharing them!

1) First, do you know of any way (aside from taking the terrain to an external modeling program) to avoid the faceting/torn-polygons on the sides of the taller cell maps like in your screenshot? It looks like the cells have stripes down their sides, which I'd prefer the sides to appear flat if possible! Ideally, it'd look (as much as possible) as if the shapes were simply extruded in a modeling program.

2) If I had to take some terrains into a modeling program, what would you suggest the proper workflow to be so that these meshes can still be used with Map Magic to some extent -- mainly for the sake of letting the system render it or not (but not twice!) when close/far away from the terrain and maintaining its seamlessness and texturing with the other terrains?

3) Finally, what would I need to do exactly if I wanted to modify the number of vertexes used in the Voronoi cell surfaces to be between a number range? Is this easy to do? I'm assuming I would have to actually alter the Voronoi generator directly to get this, but where and what would I need to modify?

I know there are a lot of questions here that are probably hard to answer, but I'd appreciate anyone's input who might know anything about how to answer any of them...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  37. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

38. Wright

Wright

New version (1.7) is now available in Asset Store!

Changelog:
    - Mac Retina displays fix;
    - Normalize Generator sorting and remove buttons fixed;
    - Adding Collider to terrains is now optional and could be turned off in settings;
    - RTP Output performance was greatly increased;
    - Safe Borders and Mask added to Cavity Generator;
    - New Blend Generator with a customizable number of layers;
    - Objects/trees position height is clamped to 1.

tanoshimi
    , thanks for you bug report, and especially for it's clear description and image illustrating it. Pity the new version is just released. Probably I'll make a downloadable quick fix for that.

Yes, multiple blend layers are included in new version.

awesomedata, Unity terrain uses the regular mesh grid, it will always produce such an artifacts. Maybe increasing the resolution will make them less noticeable (you can also increase Scale value in Height Output), but will not remove tem at all. To get rid of them you'll have model the terrain from scratch, and obviously such model will not be compatible with MMWG.

RTP Plugin has already changed, you'll have to download the new version. Btw now it works considerably faster.

Crossway and tanoshimi like this.
  39. awesomedata

awesomedata

@Wright
    Thanks for the clarification on the artifacts. That makes a lot of sense.

For what I'd like to achieve with MM though, I will need to take the terrain out into an external modeling package. Is there any way to export the terrain and keep it seamlessly-integrated (at least around the edges?) with the rest of the terrains in the cases where I must do that? I'd rather let MM handle displaying it when the player is close enough to the terrain, and hide it when he's not, as per usual, and weld the edge vertices to the heightmap-generated models surrounding it, also as usual. At the end of the day, they're all static models, right? This is independent of whether they were generated or not, right? Or am I (very possibly) missing something?

Right now, the biggest Achilles-heel (for me, of course) with Map Magic is that it doesn't seem flexible enough to work seamlessly with terrains that might need to be meshes instead. For example, I need my terrain to be shaped a certain very specific way that I can't get through Unity's default terrain system (as you indicated). I still want to use Map Magic for the rest of my map (except for this ONE terrain spot in the world, which I want to still appear pretty seamless with the rest of the terrains surrounding it, who also might be meshes.)

How would I achieve this within the system without MM stepping in and drawing its own version of that section of the terrain if I get close enough for it to do so?

Would it be possible to disable MM's version of that section of the heightmap and allow one to easily export that MM terrain section (with textures, etc) and import a modified version of it that still works with the native MM dynamic loading (distance-wise) after importing it back into unity/MM after making your changes in an external modeler? Obviously this wouldn't be directly compatible with MM's rendering system since that's based on height maps, but it would alleviate a lot of pain when you need very specific ground formations and don't have RTP to work with.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  40. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Im finding that upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7 with Map magic and the RTP plugin corrupts my scenes and any scenes that i import an older(1.6 or earlier) node graph to. Whenever i try to open these scenes, unity crashes with an access violation.

Ill upload an example node graph which crashes unity in 1.7 but not 1.6.

Attached Files:

41. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Man o Man...I sure wished Map Magic could generate 3D Fractals.

malkere likes this.
  42. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

That's not really a limitation of MapMagic - it's a limitation of any 2D heightmap system, such as the Unity terrain on which MapMagic is based.

antoripa likes this.
  43. awesomedata

awesomedata

Which, of course, is the reason MapMagic should totally support meshes.

Even if the fractal meshes can't be as dense as that pretty mesh, at least preliminary support would already be there until someone else (or Unity themselves) develops a better way to display them.

44. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

I think ive found a bug introduced in this version's rtp plugin. When using 8 layers in first pass, map magic seems to be combining layers strangely:
    https://gyazo.com/cb7ad81b033145356a9c23c977a1eb1b

In this picture, it demonstrates a grass texture on layer 3 being the sole input of a constant 1. However it is being combined with layer 7 which is snowy. there is no dynamic snow enabled.

When the input is placed into the snow layer, the texture displayed on the terrain is completely black, without showing the snow or background snow layer.

malkere likes this.
  45. Dune2

Dune2

Building more maps. The maps are beautiful, except terrain borders are really ugly. The color differences are a shader plugin, that I haven't figured out yet how to copy the component to each of the procedurally generated terrains. The seams though, major height differences and obvious lines.

46. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

What generators are you using in your graph? I've never seen seams like that unless you were using a raw/texture input right up to the edges of a chunk that didn't tile.

47. Wright

Wright

Dune2, it seems that some of your generators got too low "Safe Borders" value. If it's really so try increasing it to 5 pixels or more.

Hakazaba, thanks for both of your bug reports! Import bug is fixed and will be submitted to AssetStore soon, and fixed RTP Plugin is already available for download. Please note that "No overlap in 8 layers mode" toggle should be disabled in _RTP_LODmanager

48. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

I've got a graph with several custom generators, still using v1.5 still at the moment. All the generators appear to be working as expected, but I'm getting this error in the console (appearing only once, at the start of play mode). In another scene, with a different graph, I get no errors.

I've tried disabling all the generators, but the error persists. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  49. Wright

Wright

New evaluation version (1.7) is available here. It's got all of the main source code and demo scenes included, and now it is possible to create a build with MM scenes. Limitations are the same: no edit after loading graph, no using in final product.

tanoshimi
    , it's hard to say for sure now since line numbers were changed in later versions, but if you could send me the scene I would check if this error occurs in 1.7 and try to find out why.

50. neoshaman

neoshaman

That's not a 16bit raw, you can tell by the step you have, you just imported a 8bit grayscale format. Try importing a raw from unity to gimp, then from gimp to unity.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016